Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I've seen some theories on that point, part of it being that the Federation values having good will with their neighbours more than a tactical advantage, and part that the Klingons and Romulans have enough strife within and between them that they already know how to deal with cloaking, so it wouldn't be a major advantage for the Federation to have it too. And as demonstrated in TNG and DS9, if they really need it, they tend to be on decent terms with at least one of them, so they can request Romulan or Klingon assistance if a mission really needs a cloak.

lol this is like the countries in present day that signed the treaty to not produce nuclear weapons, but it is totally okay to use them if they say borrowed them from Russia or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

galagazombie posted:

But this is what happens? Lots of countries fall under the Nuclear Umbrella of an allied power. Like Japan could make themselves nukes anytime they want but instead have an agreement with the U.S to nuke anyone they need to.Or how Cuba and Turkey had the U.S.S.R. and U.S. put missiles in their countries during the Cold War.

it was a dumb joke about sci-fi hand waving stuff, dont worry about it :)

I mean I guess it is true but still no less dumb, lol

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

My contribution to the worst tech in Sci-Fi is "scanners" in most any universe as a plot device. Do they work or not? Sure, but never if you need them! :iiam:

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

lol

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

PoptartsNinja posted:

Nearly Every Episode of Voyager

Tuvok: "Captain, our sensors have detected [problem]"
Possibly an antagonist or the Borg or a natural phenomenon or space road construction: "We demand your attention!"
Janeway: "Well I demand coffee"
Chakotay / Kes: "We could try reasonable-sounding but desperate solution #1"
Torres / Seven of Nine: "I'm in favor of less-reasonable but more practical solution #2"
Paris: "I could fly a shuttlecraft"
Kim: "The writers forgot to give me anything to do but don't want to write me out because a magazine called me one of the 50 sexiest men alive."
Possibly the Borg Queen: "Captain, would you like to come hang out at my house later?"
Janeway: "You're all wrong, we'll do secret perfect solution #3 that no one has referenced but allows us to keep the moral high ground. Captain's prerogative."
Possibly an antagonist or the Borg or a natural phenomenon or space road construction: "We are undone!"

Neelix: "And I'm here too!"

lol this was so on point I could hear the characters voices in my head

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

SlothfulCobra posted:

:rip: John Q. Spacemarine; his malfunctioning sliding door pants could not be removed and he pooped himself to death.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

General Battuta posted:

These things are not done because it is quietly agreed to be in poor taste.

In regards to using technology to get a younger body, get rid of a disease, or avoid aging, saying that in Trek they agreed as a society that they just wouldn't do it sounds possible until most anyone on their death bed with space cancer or whatever actually has to face their mortality and imminent demise and goes "yeah gently caress that". Even if it means you're an outlaw of the federation or whatever, the amount of people that would peace out to whatever planet where it was allowed would probably be so high, they would have to rethink their policy or face widespread problems.

I know the real answer is "it's just some dumb sci-fi stories, don't worry about it" instead of "well actually they can't because of some technobabble reason invented after the fact to address that issue unless they actually want to use that idea again anyhow" but if it were reality even the most devoted and convicted are probably going to have a change of heart and abandon their ideals once it's their time, even if not indefinitely.