Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm pretty sure this might be intentional given the original builders and their henchmen are generally shown to have extremely advanced but impractical and poorly designed technology, which is what gives the troops a fighting chance to X-COM them. In part because they all have literal God complexes and design their stuff to look like holy artifacts to suit.

The Goa'uld didn't build the Stargates, but don't get me wrong, the Ancients are rear end in a top hat precursors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Isn't this basically those suicide planes the Nazis designed to be flown by Hitler Youth?

More like strapping a cannon onto a pickup truck. IIRC the Ball is supposed to be just a maintenance pod, then they stuck a cannon on it.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Polaron posted:

The other point of egress is the transporter.

Worse, the other egress is the jefferies tubes.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Has Trek ever talked about the tech that lets ships fly around the atmosphere of a planet while resisting gravity?

Not really, we know they have anti-grav sleds and the like, so that's probably just scaled up for shuttles until they break atmosphere...no idea when it comes to say, Voyager.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Taintrunner posted:

Right, but a hand phaser can already turn a person into vapor, what more can a phaser rifle really do in that situation?

Turn more people into vapor before running out of juice, I'd assume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

David D. Davidson posted:

I've been watching the old Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series and man I forgot how much stupid garbage tech is in this universe. Robots programmed to be manically depressed, a button on The Heart of Gold that just lights up a sign that says "don not press this button again." It's fantastic.

Don't forget the black starship with the black button with black text that lights up a black light to let you know it's done something.