Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Taintrunner posted:

You should really, really watch The Expanse then, because it has the most plausible take on terraforming Mars that would be right up your alley. Spoiler alert: It'll take hundreds of years and it sucks and millions of people are going to live and die on a brutal dust world in the hopes that maybe it all turns green one day.

The other thing that I appreciate about it is that the Martian terraforming project is portrayed not in terms of needing to expand the area they can live on Mars, but out of a tremendous envy for Earth. Specificially, an Earth that doesn't exist anymore because 30 billion people live on Earth now, and one of the largest expenditures in the planet's GDP is just keeping everyone from drowning in sewage. It's not practical, and it's not supposed to be.

Anyway my vote is any kind of mass-cloning speed-aging process. Your brains aren't gonna work, you're just gonna be a bunch of adult babies with guns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Master Chief's robot suit doesn't jerk him off, and I wanna know what the point of it even IS then

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

A Buttery Pastry posted:

And yeah, radiation in Fallout is literally just magic. If it was treated realistically the in-game world would look more like America in 1776 than anything else.

The NCR is pretty explicitly an Old West-level society that has some scavenged high tech gear they can maintain, but not reproduce. But that's Obsidian, who actually get the series.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

And just in case you thought those assholes got killed in the war, they made the GECK so you can set up your own little slave kingdom after the bombs drop. So there's no getting away from them.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

SlothfulCobra posted:

The original GECK was just a bunch of seeds, fertilizer, how-to books, and a lil' reactor to help with power generation. Kinda just a piddly tool, but better than nothing.

Still enough for Vault City to make a slave state, though

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Vault City is lovely because the point of the GECK was to ensure the terrible pre-war society would be able to reassert itself, by force if necessary.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Vault City being run by fascists isn't a coincidence, it's the whole reason Vault 8 exists. Unlike most Vaults, they were supposed to survive and reopen. Their GECK was there to serve the same purpose as their armory full of small arms and explosives: to supply their inevitable reestablishment of the old status quo.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think that prewar society was filled with multiple organizations working at cross purposes.

According to Avellone, they both wanted to experiment on them AND have them recolonize the surface. Yeah that doesn't make any sense and no wonder Vault 8 (the control vault) is the only one that went like they wanted, but the actual goals of the project are completely lost to time now.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

And because Kevin J Anderson thinks that a villain should be a total clown who the heroes completely outclass in every way, had they just ignored the titular plot of the book, everything would have been fine.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Elmnt80 posted:

Just pretend I quoted all the posts in this thread about star trek phasers here.

In the last season of DS9 it turns out the federation had made a fancy rear end prototype weapon which was just a regular loving gun that shot tritanium bullets. Its turned into like a perfect assassin's/sniper's weapon by some rear end in a top hat on a murder streak and once he's caught they just forget that you have a magical weapon that is nearly impossible to stop, can kill people inside buildings and tons of other reality breaking bullshit, but no, have to stick to phasers that can't hit poo poo in a big firefight. Oh, also these guns and their ammo can be easily replicated along with the magic attachments as shown in this same episode.

You forgot that they put a miniature transporter in the barrel that would beam the bullet to like an inch in front of the target the moment it leaves the barrel

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

If you can beam poop out of your body you can beam that same poop straight into your enemy's mouth

BOOM now they all are throwing up and can't fight back

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Has anyone said "Google Stadia" yet because I think that would be really funny

Now let's talk about this thing:

The Star League wanted to build a supercarrier for space, because they wanted to make sure they had the edge in everything. So they told someone to build a big box full of space fighters and call it the Enterprise.

The Star League's military, the SLDF, is the direct descendant of the United States military, and so it ended up costing a million bajillion dollars spread across twelve different companies, and it had to be towed out of drydock. That big square thing on the bottom was going to launch 50-some fighters every three seconds because hey, there's no way making something five times bigger would ever go wrong. It's my favorite piece of lovely garbage tech.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

If the Empire had just listened to Grand Admiral Thrawn and put all the money for the Death Star into TIE Defenders, Luke would be dead and all the aliens would still be slaves, so it's probably a good thing superweapons are very stupid.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Lawman 0 posted:

Battletech is literally an entire galaxy of awful garbage tech.
For example probably most of the mechs are hilariously ineffective boondoggle hangar queens that make the Ratte tank look economical and reasonable. The only reason I think they are even used is that they are good for bartering with and it's a decent way of removing noble failsons from the line of succession.

The degree to which a mech will work if it's not maintained is legit impressive, actually. You can put a mech under a tarp for 300 years and the thing will start right up and work just like new.

It's basically that and being environmentally sealed.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Lawman 0 posted:

Right and when they actually did get close to getting back up to the old tech level they decided to introduce a series of escalating disasters to keep it back down.

Nah, wars started working like they do in the real world where people invent a bunch of new poo poo. Star League technology is pretty passe now.

GD_American posted:

One of the problems with Battletech's static authorship (largely the same people for 40 years) is that nobody's willing to deconstruct the obvious holes in the setting.

Imagine one protagonist pointing out that feudal royalty loves Mechs because they're a way to fight that's more "pure" than that of their shitkicker serfs. This has many spillover effects, to the largely duel-based warfare all Mechwarriors engage in, to overspending on procurement of Mechs by every nation around.

Not to mention the ridiculous logistical requirements that Mech units would have. A regiment of 108 Mechs would have as high as 30-40 unique designs, each of which has virtually no components in common, each of which has incredibly uniquely shaped and designed limbs and exterior armor plates. Imagine the first merc commander that says "Phoenix Hawks, Marauders, Battlemasters, and that's it". Stock parts for only 3 kinds of Mechs.

Also the most expensive part of militaries would still be personnel. Try conquering and holding a hostile planet with 108 Mechs and a few hundred tanks. You'd need high six to low seven figures in people of infantry and support personnel.

Imagine a Battletech novel treating Mechs as they are- rare, expensive figureheads piloted by shithead nobles that need an ocean of support to achieve any real strategic military objective.

The Clan invasion didn't just introduce a bunch of broken weapons, it broke the universe too. For the previous couple centuries, battles over worlds were basically proxies for who the local government paid taxes to. And the planets that were actually loyal to a particular House were all fortress worlds that never changed hands. Battles meant you came in, ran off the other guy's regulars, the local government runs up a different flag, nothing changes for regular people. When the Clans came in, it changed that. They were coming in and expecting everyone to conform to their dumb system, and now we had to ask why anyone put up with having their local government tossed out and all their police replaced with guys who washed out of the military and take those frustrations out by executing people in the middle of the street (American police).

Foxfire_ posted:

Fluff-wise, they're supposed to be using the same kind of armor, engines, and guns. Rules-wise, mostly everything not mech-shaped is just worse with no explanation to keep the game focused around mechs. There's stuff like putting an identically rated engine into vehicle makes it weigh more, all vehicles are easy to mobility kill regardless of armor, all vehicles have to be heat-neutral at all times, hovercraft aren't allowed to have lightweight engines, etc...

Stuff like helis and hovers get a really loving big bonus to their engine output for free, and XL engines are not only legal for vehicles, they're much better in vees than they are in mechs. The mobility kill thing, yeah. And the heat thing, yes, except that only energy weapons generate heat for vehicles so you should really be boating those.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Tulip posted:

We've already had several different versions of "devoting disproportionate resources to elite units" IRL, and from what I can tell most sci fi super soldier programs have at least some roots in the Waffen SS as a concept. As with many things with military organization this is a choice that has as much to do with the culture that makes the soldiers as anything else - in the case of the Waffen SS, Nazi notions of how evolution works, in the case of the Potsdam Giants, an expression of Frederick I's extreme horniness.

I think that some concepts are also rooted in the shift of US military doctrine from "we will overwhelm our enemies with the sheer number of tanks and bullets we build" to to one leveraging technological advantage as the main edge. The amount of technological doo-dads that a modern infantryman has access to would probably feel like "devoting disproportionate resources" to someone rooted in older US tactics, but it's more reasonable to us because we've internalized that's how modern first-world infantry look. Maybe part of it is trying to reframe a narrative about war when you are now the overdog, not the underdog; okay so you are technologically way ahead of the other guys, BUT there's not many of you!

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Well, I assume if you tried to pet a kitten, you'd crush it.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i don't think it's really a narrative thing. in a way, throwing a shitload of tech at infantry is probably seen as a way of trying to do war on the cheap; it has always cost a lot of money to support troops in the field. you buy a bunch of fancy equipment, yeah you spend a bunch of money up front, but if it saves you from having to deploy double or triple the number of troops it's probably worth it in the long run.

but i think the big thing is not racking up a big death count. one of the perceived lessons of the Vietnam War was the body count and the footage of dead soldiers coming home eroding public support. so you spend big - and remember, someone's making those war gizmos, so that's money in someone's constituent's pockets! - and try to minimize that so that people don't get too pissed off about how many Americans are being killed overseas.

that said, overwhelming people with tanks was a tech advantage in its own way. or rather, with trucks; reportedly one of the captured Germans at Normandy knew they were hosed when they saw all these mechanized vehicles rolling up the beach and not one goddamn horse. we could drown our logistics problems in oil.

No, I mean the interest in super-soldier stories narratively is a reflection of the wars we see in real life and trying to spin a heroic narrative out of that. An analog to the modern US can't really be the plucky underdog after all.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

SlothfulCobra posted:

They also don't portray how human bodies just kinda start dissolving and deteriorating under zero G, so far as I remember, but not many things do.

Another reason The Expanse is good, it's an important plot point there.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Why would you have the arms stick out of the body at all

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Okay but have you considered how fast they go and how cool they look

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I imagine the rates for hiring these people for full movies is a lot more than for a video game in the 90s

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Solkanar512 posted:

Excellent example.

Or like in the last season of GoT, we couldn't have Bran, Sansa and Arya sit in a room and talk for a minute. Nooo, that would make too much loving sense, if you can have someone with the ability to see and hear every time in history it's cheating to actually do it!

Bran's powers are just to make the writers' job easier, not other characters'

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Ghost Leviathan posted:

As said, I don't remember the thing about gene mod receivers being sterilised at all and it sounds like something made up.

Kind of the whole deal with the 'are we going down the same path the aliens did' quote is that X-COM is putting very little thought into long-term consequences because poo poo is already heating up too quickly for that, with aliens openly invading, abducting and sending death squads to commit atrocities in broad daylight while making overtures to take control of national governments. They're already basically pirating alien technology as quickly as they can get it stable and in a human-usable form factor, and have no idea of the long-term effects of any of it.

Case in point: in Canon they never did any of that, because the aliens conquered the world before XCOM could tech up that high.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

X-Wings have shields in ANH, Red Leader has them set their deflectors to double-front when they make the trench run, then when the surface guns stop, he has them even them back out. I think that they just work much better in the games than they do in movies, like maybe they are enough to deflect most fire but a direct locked-on hit like we see Vader taking hits it dead center and blows on through?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Foxfire_ posted:

Yeah, they have shields that are presumably doing something, but both TIEs and X-wings go down to a well-aimed burst of lasers, so I don't think there's movie support for X-wings being more durable. As far as the movie goes, there's no reason to think TIEs don't also have shields that are only good vs near misses/shrapnel/whatever

I think the X-Wing having a droid on board to fix it up mid-flight suggests it was designed with the intent that it can take a hit or two and keep going. The TIE doesn't have that, and it also looks more fragile visibly. It fits with the concept that the Empire sees people as disposable and the Rebels don't.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Also in the deleted scene he's not horny even once

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

If you think about it, all ships made out of metal are technically made from stone.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I don't think I've ever been as excited for anything as I was for episode one. After that I basically had no expectations for a movie.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

If you start asking questions like that you also have to ask why that asteroid belt, with so many asteroids so close together, isn't the industrial heart of the entire galaxy with Hoth as a 1940s Detroit in space

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Barudak posted:

Other asteroid fields aren't infested with space worms

Other asteroid fields don't have asteroids spitting distance from each other. loving kill the one space worm and you're set.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I thought they were really overconfident because going around and exterminating weird alien wildlife is something they've done a lot of already. The xenomorphs are just so far beyond any other kind of animal they've casually exterminated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

It would be pretty weird if Star Wars went around calling Darth Vader or Grand Moff Tarkin "heroes" though