Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Polaron posted:

For some reason this made me think of the Culture starship Sleeper Service, from Excession, which spent a couple hundred years pretending to be a weirdo loner and instead was just filling all of its available internal volume with engine. When it finally puts the pedal down, an onlooker disbelievingly wonders if it's planning on going to the Andromeda galaxy with all that excess power.

I really need to back into reading the Culture novels. Probably in text this time, trying to follow Use of Weapons' chapter layout in audiobook format broke my brain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

On the subject of the holodeck, I liked the VOY episode that revealed Tuvok had created a custom simulation where he could murder Neelix with impunity as a form of stress relief.

Honestly, I'd do the exact same thing in that situation.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

pixaal posted:

This is the first thing I've heard about Voyager that makes me at all interested in watching it. Are you going to make me really keep watching after DS9? I have no idea who these characters are but this plot sounds different enough to be fun.

VOY is a handful of gems in a sea of mediocrity and poo poo, it's the only Trek series I'd recommend finding a watch list for.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

grassy gnoll posted:

Consider instead

Correct thread, this thing is a piece of poo poo even by GTVA bomber standards. The Boanerges is a close second.

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Oct 21, 2022

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Fivemarks posted:

The GTVA ships in Blue Planet are actually very not lovely.

This becomes a problem.

GTCv Bellerophon, AKA 'gently caress gently caress gently caress KILL IT KILL IT OH GOD OUR CAPITALS' :supaburn:

drat thing is pretty much just three gigantic beam weapons with an engine assembly strapped to the back. It even makes sense in the context of the lore. The Tevs got slapped around horribly by Shivan vessels with a heavy frontal weapon bias, and their new doctrine is essentially taking that to the logical conclusion while also slapping on enough armor to survive until their jump drives spool back up.

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Feb 21, 2023