Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

I MEAN, TURN OFF YOURE MONITOR, MIGTH EXPLAIN YOUR BAD POSTS, HOPE THIS HELPS?!

SlothfulCobra posted:

The only gundam I know of that is depicted as just garbage that can't win a fight is this one.

Can't fight, but every year it makes it to the finals of the gundam tournament because nobody can find it when it's disguised as a windmill.

I liked how the Millenium Falcon was a piece of garbage in the movies. Luke poo poo-talks it at first sight, and it spends the bulk of Empire Strikes Back on cinderblocks with engine trouble. But then the EU considered it some kind of gold standard for a ship.

I liked it when "Kessel Run in 40 parsecs" was just something Han bullshitted out to impress a hayseed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

Statutory Ape posted:

I'm gonna also vote "the self destruct system " and it doesn't matter which one

Wish you would initiate your self-destruct sequence.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Do you think cities don't have subdivisions?

IIRC, in canon, it has all of those things. Remember Star Wars is a setting where interstellar travel is as casual as catching a bus.

Warhammer 40k also has all of those things, though I think only Terra and maybe Mars are full on city planets.

As of Mechanicum (outbreak of the Heresy) big chunks of Mars were still desert.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

There's actually more to Mars than "parts of it were still desert": IIRC during the Dark Age of Technology (M15-M25) Mars got terraformed green but most of it either broke or got broken during Old Night (when the AIs turned against humanity and the subsequent Butlerian Jihad: M25-M30*), by the Heresy (M30) they had fixed enough of it to make it mostly breathable, more-or-less.

Also they somehow got volcanism going again, probably as part of the terraform?

*: Probably caused by the influx of the warp caused by the Fall of the Eldar, this is also why psykers got increasingly common among humanity?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

This person is an literal geologist, they/them also wrote the excellent Blood Binds The Pack: https://www.tor.com/author/alex-acks/, they/them has thoughts on single-biome planets, they/them also takes a blade to Tolkien's lovely cartography.

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jun 10, 2020

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

They should have made a Roger Wilco-themed spaceship shooter game.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

Sanguinia posted:

I mean, they have inter-stellar FTL comms, you don't think they have a way of knowing what time it is where they're calling vs where they are so they can make note when the call is inconvenient due to time change? We have that tech NOW.

I think the unrealistic part is people apologizing for calling in the middle of the night?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

Statutory Ape posted:

one does not casually interrupt the circadian rhythm of a superior

I am altering the sleep patterns. Pray I don't alter it any further.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Remember when Dukat called Kira at 3am to tell her he banged her mom

Goddamnit, I've got to get my DS9 re-watch back on track.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

The "one weird scanner trick" thing (like hiding in the Star Destroyer's trash or whatever) that every goddamn series uses at some point to write their way out of a bind never made any goddamn sense.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

Why would the computer allow a person who's registered onboard as a prisoner to voice-command the ship?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

I really really liked early Star Wars where Han Solo was just a dirtbag with a ship that was p.deece but that fundamentally amounted to one of the hot rods in American Graffiti and the gift of gab.

No, parsec didn't need to be re-defined as a measure of time you loving assholes, he was just fleecing a rube. No every road in the galaxy didn't need to somehow run through Mos Eisley.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

Error 404 posted:

Reads aloud the wookieepedia entry for gamorrean door guard #3 who didnt tip in a restaurant once which lead to the bothan waiter quitting that job to go help steal the death star plans, dying a hero's death and changing the course of the war.

It's fan wikis. Fan wikis are the shittiest piece of garbage tech in science fiction.

EU is the original fan wiki.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

The only canonical EU things are:
  • Han died in the Pacific North West/Chewie is Sasquatch
  • The Endor Holocaust happened and was cynically covered-up by the New Republic*

*: This is actually counter-EU but it's still loving true.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

Tulip posted:

Imagine instead that those narratives are by Lucas himself using sockpuppets to make himself look less dumb.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

Apparently the A-Wing was originally going to have been canonically designed as a literal kamikaze fighter.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

Error 404 posted:

I'll preface this by saying maybe I'm just dumb but:

You can't transport through shields, thats star trek fact, an unbreakable rule (which has been broken but stay with me here)

You don't want full remote overrides because of all the hacks people itt have even come up with.

But a friendly backdoor code, for those times a starfleet ship comes across another, floating derelict, not responding to hails, but they have shields up. Sensors aren't giving you anything because of nebula fuckery or whatever. You're going to want a way to board that friendly vessel to investigate or render aid.

So in that light, a remote override that only shuts off the shields makes sense to me idk.

Why wouldnt this be weaponized by the Klingons or Romulans or whomever else?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

Literally, what are Romulans supposed to be? They're like bad Vulcans?

I never "did" TOS and only half-remember TNG?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

FWIW I think Quark is right about how the Fedies dislike the Ferengi because they remind them of what they were (but notably without genocide).

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

I like the Cardies. They're cute .

DS9 followed through with the insanity of their legal system a lot further than I was expecting them to with O'Brien's trial.

Like, I expected it to be a lot shorter?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

Polaron posted:

really loving good at efficient, miniaturized technology so their ships don't need to be as big to get comparable performance.

Yeah, I tell myself that too.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

Aren't bedrooms supposed to have more than one point of egress for, like, fire code?

If so every set of quarters on DS9 appears to be noncompliant (space windows aren't creditable points of egress because of that whole "Hard Vacuum" thing)?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

Statutory Ape posted:

worf likes pillows n plum juice hes no klingon

Fake E: Oh hey, how about that: prunes are just raisin-plums?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I thought Data was the science officer. Especially qualified being a superintelligent sentient computer.

?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Do Star Fleet ships ever drop off the children and other family members before heading to a big battle?

Timmy, daddy is very busy preparing for an important meeting at Wolf 359 tomorrow, so just keep yourself busy on the Holodeck today, ok.

IIRC the in DS9 the Galaxy what got blowed up by the Dominion did that before going through the wormhole but I'm not sure?

Spoilered because someone in YOSPOS (besides me, I mean) is doing a DS9 watch-through and I don't want to be that guy?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

galagazombie posted:

It also cost them way too much money to film, hence why they use it only like one time after the first season. The Big D had all kinds of neat things it was supposed to do that while filming the first season they realized they in no way could afford, including lotsa lovely pieces of garbage tech. My favorite was "Cetacean Ops" where they were supposed to have a tank full of dolphins who navigated the ship. Because living in the ocean means they understand 3-Dimensional navigation better you see. Man that 90's "Save the Whales/Dolphins" movement was something. Don't get me wrong It's correct to save them, It's just weird how "spiritual" it got portraying them as like these New Age enlightened beings we could learn so much from instead of, you know, dolphins.

Whales, yes. Dolphins is jerks though.

I wish we got to see the Captain's Gig (it's in the NCC-1701D Technical Manual which was literally (literally-literally, not literally-figuratively) my most-prized possession when I was an literal childe of 10).

E: I remember spending literally (see above) an hour in the book store (Harry W. Schwartz's: "MKE represent!" (as the kids say these days)) agonizing over whether to get the TOS or TNG one (I liked TNG but BVMU liked TOS and we were watching all the movies together because BVMF was more of a Tolkien fan who literally read the goddamn Silmarillion but never really did SciFi outside of A Canticle for Leibowitz).

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Aug 6, 2020

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

Most sci-fi is only comprehensible if you're assuming that luminiferous aether is a thing and that space is therefore literally a sea. It makes things easier if you treat this as the first point of divergence.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

The best post-apocalyptic settings are the ones where the entire world has moved on from just being depressed about the old world dying anyways, because in the real-world that's what would happen. Time marches on, and all the survivors have things to do to keep survivin'. Reign of Fire is an alright example; Nausicaa is a fantastic one.

The Crypt of Shuwa seems like a more realistic take on how a long plan to restore humanity would go compared to Asimov's Foundation.

I like the idea of this but it seems to lead to a conclusion that Canticle for Leibowitz is not both the best post-apoc novel and one of the best scifi novels?

Never accept a theory that contradicts empirical evidence?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

Taintrunner posted:

What’s the loving difference between a hand phaser and a phaser rifle in Star Trek they seem to do the exact same thing

IIRC: bigger batteries and better heat exchangers so they can shoot harder longer.

Source: The TNG Technical Manual was my most-prized possession when I was an literal childe.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

I feel like there would be potential military applications for whatever causes the occasional transporter fuckup (more like in the movie where they end up as a screaming blob of flesh than the ones where O'Brien gets trapped in the pattern buffer and it's like space Ireland and he grows a beard or some poo poo)?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

CainFortea posted:

Any time you can beam security INTO a situation, you could also just beam the assholes into the brig. Or space.

At this point why isn't the brig literally just a transporter pattern buffer?

E: Like the containment thingy in Ghostbusters what the ConEd guy shuts off?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

Trapick posted:

I haven't watched much, but I saw one where this girl got smallpox (from buried treasure or something), except it ended up not being smallpox, but anyway they had a big lockdown and the CDC was called in and poo poo, which makes sense, that's fine. But then House ends up in the room with the girl to do something and then he's like "oh no I've been exposed to smallpox" and is clearly upset/scared, but he's definitely of an age where he would have been vaccinated. So what the poo poo was up with that? Apparently even vaccination *after* exposure is really effective, so he could have just got a booster and almost certainly have been fine. So why was House so worried?

I legit wish I could get the smallpox vaccyboi.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

Txt me.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

They didn't have the ships to haul asteroids around, and even if they did there'd be no point in sticking it out in their secret base and risk the entire rebel command just for the chance to take out a couple of the indefinite amount of ships the Empire would send.

Because transport costs for the already-existing space Detroits to just import already refined materials are cheaper than the cost of building entire factories onsite.

Unless you really just don't know cities at all and you mean building a space Pittsburgh, the city that produced the bulk of America's steel and shipped it out to places like Detroit, in which case presumably there's already profitable operations that aren't in the middle of nowhere and are much less hazardous.

What's the advantage supposed to be? Is it good for your bloomeries to get shelled by constant debris instead of just taking a minute of transit time between individual mining points? How many economies of scale can you get going when all the individual asteroids are that small?

Counterpoint: Pittsburg is complete poo poo. When the crowning cultural produce of your city is an average-to-good FO3 DLC you’ve got to start asking yourself some searching questions.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

Foxfire_ posted:

Counter-counterpoint: Mr Roger's Neighborhood was made in Pittsburg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

Legit, the WEG treatment of Star Wars is probably the best example of how to do an IP licensed RPG “right” (another being the FFG 40k series, although there’s a lot of jank with the mechanics with those, IMO?)