Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Droyer posted:

Way more probably, most Gundams are about 18 meters (about 59 feet) tall. They're less power armor and more a humanoid vehicle.

Its honestly kind of terrifying

Despite the title it doesn't do anything interesting, only the head moves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

oh but seriously I posted:

You have already put more thought into it then the devs.

The table should change shape after every shot.

That would be cool. This being star citizen the cue will glitch through the table, hit someone in the head, and you'll get a crime stat (they did actually implement that, yes?)

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

The vaults citadel was never designed to save anyone.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Yeah I don't think you can compare ballistics to lasers. Obviously bigger = more powerful, but how lasers scale is never established.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Well there really isn't anyone fielding a proper army against them. The rebels have a limited supply of rag tag capital ships. As long as they can keep the planets within the empire pacified they don't need to handle capital ship warfare.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Star Destroyers are the Empires main projection. The longer they can operate without stopping the more force the empire can spread around.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

They're bad Vulkans.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Y'all ain't wrong, but as a nonliving being Jet Alone couldn't have done poo poo against an AT field.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Barudak posted:

Zoom Meeting of Doom

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Or just transport their insides elsewhere.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

it was just called The Tarkin. And those comics owned bones. Where's my Valance and Baron Tagge miniserieses Disney? Where's my Riders in the Void / Fantasia mashup tone poem?

Disney owns both Star Wars and Marvel, I don't see how they wouldn't have full rights to them.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Well gently caress.

I've got comics to read now. I don't even read comics.

E:vvvvv based on Barudaks earlier posts, vac-ing a planets populace via teleporter would be a sweet-rear end thing for some interstellar warlord to do.

EE: continuing the below line of thought, in any story with realspace FTL there's no reason not to just have Holdo-pikes for that. Though that would probably lead to a MAD detente and undermine the whole story conflict.

Fantastic Foreskin fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Aug 24, 2020

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

At least in gundam your arms aren't in the mech's arms. Rewatching the cutscene where he's bolted in, yeah there's no way those shoulders work.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

oh uh anyway another example of poo poo tech: i punished myself last week by watching the Wing Commander movie and apparently the Confederation has no way of authenticating communications or orders because despite being handed an encrypted transmission by a commissioned officer, a carrier's command staff is still willing to write it off as phony orders from the enemy until someone pulls out a ring that shows they personally know the admiral that sent those orders.

is there any article that goes into why that movie is so crummy? like i guess there's a quote by one of the actors that the original script he got was great, and then when he showed up he got handed a rewrite that was back-to-back dogshit. i'm sure the answer is "chris roberts" but i'm a sucker for behind-the-scenes drama and bullshit

If anyone knows, they're in the Star Citizen thread.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

wdarkk posted:

I feel like there's a 100% guarantee that there were at least 5 other, much better designs that were scrapped for whatever reason.

The reason was not looking enough like a star destroyer.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Its not until the end of Jedi we see anything capable of even putting a scratch on them, it's quite possible capital ship combat wasn't a consideration when they were kitting them out.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

They're not warships, they're mass-produced one-size-fits-all arms of the empire's power, a military base with engines strapped to the back.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

The only Star destroyer to go down in the entire trilogy is the super star destroyer that gets kamikazed. They never even try to attack them before that battle, they just run from them. Even then they don't expect to do anything to them, they're just trying to stop the death star from firing.

Fantastic Foreskin fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Apr 9, 2021

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

wdarkk posted:

Could have sworn I saw some ISDs exploding during Endor.

I thought there were more too, but at least in the cut I found that keeps it just to the space battle, it's just the super.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

fartknocker posted:

No, at least one regular ISD goes down in the background. You can see it at 6:26 in this video, just before the SSD gets hit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f38a6pYL_jE

I am bad at watching. Still, that's the only time in the entire trilogy anyone tries to fight them.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Don't the Fremen gently caress with the Sardaukar early on using personal shields hidden in sand dunes? The Sardaukar had a habit of sweeping the sand with Lasguns since the Fremen could hide in the sands. So the Fremen starting leaving active shield devices buried and let the Sardaukar nuke themselves a few times so that they would stop doing that.

They do a shield nuke at the end, but it's been so long I don't remember the specifics. A lot of things in dune are tradition, but using lasguns is dangerous altogether since if you hit a shield you didn't see you're liable to get caught in the blast.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

CainFortea posted:

Obi wan calls out that tie couldn't be at alderan this far from a base or something. And in the films we see x wings go into and out of hyperspace.

"Its a short-range fighter"

Tulip posted:

Reading excessively far into it, the combination of hyper-independent carriers with highly dependent fightercraft suggests a political dynamic where the Empire is not a powerfully centralized and unitary organization, but a patchwork of proto-aristocrats who are generally loyal to the emperor but in a position to both jockey with each other and renegotiate their standing. Personally I like this as a vision of the empire: not one tyrant but dozens.

Iirc, pre-ESB the emperor was conceived as a largely figurehead figure, not an actual ruler. Said 'regional governers' would your proto-aristocrats, ...and the empire is a millitary coup I guess.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

galagazombie posted:

It is funny how the Prequels, for all the hate they get, spend the entire trilogy explaining the massive lengths and time investment it takes to create a military capable of waging a galactic war, a process which takes decades and tons of political maneuvering. Then the Sequels say that no, militaries capable of waging massive wars appear out of thin air, and this happens not once, not twice, but three times across the sequels.

They're both bad, in their own ways. Perhaps we just expected more out of movies when the prequels came out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

"Heroes" in this context is relative to their side, not a statement of morality. Ones who do exceptional things for their cause.