Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lazy Fair
Sep 23, 2019

The movies go to great lengths to depict Star Destroyers as an overpowering force that crush anything they encounter in a fair fight. They're only taken down by the rebels being so darn plucky. The idea that they're "undergunned" is incompatible with the impression they're supposed to give in every on screen appearance.

We see them lose all the time because the writers need dangerous foes for the Rebels to overcome, but even though we frequently see them blown up the narrative is still telling us they're supposed to be overwhelmingly powerful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazy Fair
Sep 23, 2019

I enjoy trying thinking about what the older movies tell us about the Star Wars "canon" before much of the canon we're familiar with was actually developed in the books and games of the expanded universe.

In his trench run Luke says "We're going in full throttle, that ought to keep those fighters off our backs!" but the TIEs don't seem to have any problem catching up, implying the TIE is much faster than the X-Wing and Luke as a greenhorn pilot doesn't recognize this.

Lazy Fair
Sep 23, 2019

Silver2195 posted:

A surprising amount has been written about this, e.g., http://jbr.me.uk/canon.html.

One of the most fun things to speculate about in this vein is the Clone Wars. Were they caused by a bunch of clones of an Emperor all claiming to be the real one, like the Time of Troubles in 17th-century Russia? Or did Obi-Wan Kenobi fight in them because he was a clone himself, who came out of Vat OB1?

Also, prior to ESB, there was actually no indication that Vader was human or that Jabba was an alien.

This is great, I particularly love the ideas Vader is an alien in an environmental suit and the Clone Wars might refer to some sort of imperial succession crisis with cloned Emperors.

Lazy Fair
Sep 23, 2019

Robot Style posted:

Looks like that's part of an ILM Artstation challenge, so is fan art as hell, but it's pretty clearly inspired by some actual concept art done for The Force Awakens:

Its ridiculous in concept but I kinda dig it. The lines and proportions are good, and its kind of evocative of the trade federation droid control ships which could tie into some narrative about wealthy industrialists having no loyalty to the defeated confederacy. A red star destroyer ain't a bad idea either for some sort of imperial cult.

I like it better than almost any design we saw actually make it to the screen in the sequel trilogy.

Lazy Fair fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Apr 27, 2021