Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Is "light infantry" a tech? Because Starship Troopers. Just a bunch of easily punctured flesh dudes grabastically charging giant scything deathbugs and dying in droves. Sure would be neat if, oh, say, they were to create a powered suit of armor for these soldiers, maybe they should hire a sci-fi author or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Filthy Hans posted:

I'm probably walking into a :thejoke: trap but Paul Verhoeven was subverting the book and showing how little regard the government really has for enlisted soldiers, lovely equipment was a big part of that

they were all fodder

oh yeah the difference between pro-fascist book and anti-fascist movie are night and day, when I saw the movie I was pissed because I was a Heinlein fanboy who capital letters Didn't Get It.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Balsa posted:

What I want to know is why control consoles in Star trek can even explode?!

Because (hack) directors need a (cheap) way to demonstrate that a ship got damaged

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Nebakenezzer posted:

In contrast, mechanicalized infantry are the dudes who roll with armor. The infantry themselves likely don't require much more in the way of supplies, but now the unit they are in drive APCs that need lots of fuel, ammo, maintenance etc.

Speaking of lovely pieces of garbage tech, what's the closest sci-fi analogue to the M2 Bradley :v:

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

mind the walrus posted:

I like how part of the joke in Robocop is that not only is the ED-209 a piece of crap, Robocop himself is largely a piece of crap.

A focus-grouped piece of crap, even. (Taken to extremes in the sequel)

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The Wing Zero in the same series might be one of the most powerful Gundams in the series and is even worse; it can drive its pilots mad and might have eaten one of them.

wait what?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Thread winner in every way

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

DrBouvenstein posted:

Related to the lovely Gundam robots, in Robotech/Macross, they had the transforming Varitech fighters, that were, by and large, good.

But they also had non-transforming machines called Destroids that couldn't do poo poo. Like 5 models of them, some with massive lasers, others with artillery, one with nothing but a gently caress ton of missles...all useless.

Oh, Zentradi attacking? Yeah let's put 50 of those pieces of poo poo out there, maybe they'll blow up 1 loving pod before all getting destroyed.

They got a lot better when they jumped universes to the Inner Sphere.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

I found out the other day that there are really lovely mechs in Battletech that can transform into really lovely jets, closing the circle

Ahhh, LAMs (Land-Air Mechs). The 69 of giant robots, doing two things crappily instead of one thing well.

I always figured their in-universe crappiness was essentially a gently caress You to Harmony Gold for all the copyright grief that FASA got.

Also, the heart and soul of this thread is this short story by Arthur C. Clarke which should be mandatory reading for every single engineer going through school anywhere, proving that newer and more complex and more capable does not equal better.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superiority_(short_story)

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

It was handled well in The Expanse, in which a well-disciplined, far-sighted centuries long terraforming project on Mars fell apart in a few short years once interstellar travel came around. Even the people that occupied New Sci-Fi Sparta went "lol why do this poo poo, hop on a ship and find a better planet"

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Nebakenezzer posted:

It turns out the M2 is less lovely than its rep. It's a good vehicle for what it is, though aluminum construction isn't ideal for the forever war IEDs.

40 years of development, as well as rewriting the definition of "what it is" helped get it there. It's no longer the boat anchor on that legendary 60 Minutes segment, but it's still a pretty legendary failure in acquisitions.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Nebakenezzer posted:

It could be that between modern procurement disasters and WW2 era procurement disasters have just changed what counts to me as a legendary failure

I mean, there's different criteria in the eras in lives or money. Inbetween tho, it's hard to beat hilarious disasters like the Sergeant York.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I like how the ultimate collective hive mind decided it needed a sexy queen torso to sex up Picard and get him back

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I still say the idea that the Federation just sends any old failson and weirdo who manages to get a science degree off on a cheap science vessel or distant lab explains so many episodes.

It's a giant universe and I always thought the Best and Brightest part of Starfleet rang false. Show me the 2nd line ships. Give me a show with washouts and career dead-enders manning an outdated ship in a forgotten sector.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

That was kind of the original premise, but somehow along the way Seth MacFarlane turned himself into the savior of mankind.

I am so the gently caress over Seth MacFarlane.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Imagine the murders possible with a transporter. Just rematerialize 30% of the ambassador's arterial wall, please

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

galagazombie posted:

I know there was at least one time they solved a disease by simply not transporting it along with the person.

Scotty knew that "1 to beam up" meant leave the syphiherpAIDS back on the planet with the green women

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

My favorite bits of any Star Trek is when aliens point out hypocritical behavior on the Federation and humanity's part.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Tulip posted:

This general idea wound up being an entire major faction in Sword of the Stars.

No tech in Sword of the Stars was lovely :colbert: though the game's insistence on an actually 3D star map was 1) cool and 2) headache inducing enough that I get why most games don't do that.

I always wanted a 3D map of the Inner Sphere but it turns out the Battletech creators were reading the star maps wrong when they created it and in real life this stars are wayyyyy different lengths from each other.

So essentially every Battletech fan just agrees to pretend there’s no Z-axis in space

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

The great (x1000) grandfather of the Death Star beam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4UsZqy9f1w

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

One of the problems with Battletech's static authorship (largely the same people for 40 years) is that nobody's willing to deconstruct the obvious holes in the setting.

Imagine one protagonist pointing out that feudal royalty loves Mechs because they're a way to fight that's more "pure" than that of their shitkicker serfs. This has many spillover effects, to the largely duel-based warfare all Mechwarriors engage in, to overspending on procurement of Mechs by every nation around.

Not to mention the ridiculous logistical requirements that Mech units would have. A regiment of 108 Mechs would have as high as 30-40 unique designs, each of which has virtually no components in common, each of which has incredibly uniquely shaped and designed limbs and exterior armor plates. Imagine the first merc commander that says "Phoenix Hawks, Marauders, Battlemasters, and that's it". Stock parts for only 3 kinds of Mechs.

Also the most expensive part of militaries would still be personnel. Try conquering and holding a hostile planet with 108 Mechs and a few hundred tanks. You'd need high six to low seven figures in people of infantry and support personnel.

Imagine a Battletech novel treating Mechs as they are- rare, expensive figureheads piloted by shithead nobles that need an ocean of support to achieve any real strategic military objective.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Lawman 0 posted:

Good god does battletech just need a general reboot

I'm not totally against them scrapping all this horseshit and just moving the timeline ahead again a century or so.

Come back with more nuanced versions of Space Japan and Space China, and make the Clans less "minor league hockey mascot at the end of an RPG campaign with a Monty Hall DM"

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Lawman 0 posted:

Right I mean if you did that you could just have the major houses fall or something and do something like "well these houses were holding back alot of innovation and now you got actual new cultures from the ashes" or whatever. Though I guess even dark age sorta does that?

They did, but then they made the factions awful 2-D pastiches that were no better, just to make the little plastic miniatures easier to sell to kids.

Tulip posted:

Counter proposal: make the clans more minor league hockey.

As a long-time Clan hater, I'm....not against that.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

SlothfulCobra posted:

In Transformers: Last Stand of the Wreckers, there's a supercomputer at a jail called the Aequitas that has the main purpose of determining guilt, which is a weird thing, but it is a society of robots. What's lovely about it is that its password can by bypassed by a Transformer willingly dying to open it up, which both is inconvenient and not secure if you happen to run into particularly motivated attackers.

The decepticons took over the prison where it was and Overlord, their leader, tried to groom the inmates into giving their lives by forcing them to fight for the death because of the potential for propaganda that all the records of autobot warcrimes would be.

There was an autobot strikeforce sent to secure the supercomputer that had a guy who was terminally ill from having a brain-seeking bullet embedded in his skull, steadily making its way forward, but he never had the chance to give himself up because another guy quickly volunteered to die because his twin brother was getting tortured and they had one of those twin deals where they shared all sensation.

It's a real macabre contrivance to kill some characters.

Ehhh....some of that isn't how I took it. Overlord set up all the Autobot deathmatches both as a sadistic way to gently caress with the former captors/prison guards, and as a way to pass time until Megatron took notice and came running. The password thing wasn't something inherently designed into Aequitas; Overlord basically used the jail's former warden as a way to solve the problem and to torture him.

The dumbest contrivance in the whole TF series has to be Vector Sigma. The one thing that can create new life (apart from all the other times in other episodes they did :rolleyes: )is buried at the center of their planet, mostly forgotten, and requires a MacGuffin key to use.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

SlothfulCobra posted:

Of course in I think literally the next episode after that arc, the combaticons show up and there's no explanation for where they came from.

That one actually made a smattering of sense; they were prisoners on Cybertron that literally had been removed from their bodies and just cold stored as hardware. Starscream snuck in and stole them, then (sigh, this is where it gets back to being dumb) put them into the rusted remnants of some WWII era military hardware he found on Guadalcanal.

My favorite dumb gadget in Transformers was the Solar Needle, which takes solar energy directly from the sun, and also somehow needs a part from the grumpiest Autobot there is, Gears. If you use it for two hours, it blows up the sun.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

muscles like this! posted:

In that vein there's the Avenue 5 from the TV show Avenue 5. It is a big fancy space cruise ship with a control room out of Star Trek, except all that stuff is just for show because outside of the passenger area the ship is dingy and utilitarian, including the actual control room. They even have a fake bridge crew and captain who are actors hired for their looks.

As someone who did many maintenance jobs in shipyards on cruise ships, this is actually stunningly accurate

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Most of the Titanicus fiction I remember was about how the "Machine Spirits" were barely controllable, and immediately engaged in a clash of wills with any Princeps who dared try to pilot it.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

It didn't work for them, rather spectacularly. Although that had more to do with it not really being a merger so much as a plundering.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

SolarFire2 posted:

Alternatively: The Killbot Solution. Engineer your supersoldiers to have a pre-set kill limit at which point they expire.

It worked for Zapp Brannigan.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

poo poo, he can easily crush his own arms with his own robot arms. Not to mention any tumble or fall and bye-bye fleshy arm.

The picture belongs in the thread

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

SlothfulCobra posted:

And then there's questions like "why do the police even have a tank" and "why do you need spiky all-terrain treads that will shred up the street" and it's been a long while since I read it, but I think there were a lot of jokes about the tank being pretty horribly suited to most of the police work they were doing.

I've only ever seen the anime, but the entire theme was very much "why the gently caress do the police have tanks"

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

what happens if someone starts jamming the radio frequencies used for those remote operations?

it's worth remembering that most (all?) of our drone operations have been against nations who don't have the money to really gently caress with us in the air. it's easily plausible that a ~~*~peer competitor~*~~ (e.g. russia, china) could develop a drone whose only purpose is to fly in and just jam the hell out of drone communications. then they roll up and take down our headless drones, either with their drones on a different frequency, or with their human-piloted fighters.

Tangentially, we discovered in a big way early in Iraq 2 that while putting all your eggs in the satcom basket was fine for peacetime, the bandwidth requirements for a fully networked military at war quickly overwhelmed everything the DoD had in space. They leased every bit of available commercial bandwidth, and started digging some old Vietnam-era toys out of the closet like HF radio.

(All public knowledge at this point)

That didn't even require a bad actor downing a satellite or two (which our major peers have the capability to do). If GPS goes down, a huuuugeee part of military functionality goes with it.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

wdarkk posted:

You would think a faraday cage would cost way less than a time machine. I assumed it was something way weirder.

It was a plot contrivance to justify the concept. Whatever writer that was tasked with pulling it off with like 2-3 lines of exposition didn't get the job done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Mycroft Holmes posted:

I already had a vasectomy when I was 24, so sure, bring on the genemods.

What the hell doctor did it? I'd always heard about doctors being adamant about not doing it for younger dudes