Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

I am angry

Angry about mods

(let's give the poor succ zone a break and take our rabble-rousing here)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

e: wait you said mods

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!
im not angry about the mods but it is really funny that seemingly as soon as they made reports free there were too many reports and a popular thread had to be closed

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
A mod posted this. In CSPAM

Said mod hangs out in the Goatse + call people "faggots" forum so it's not surprising. This post would get a probe if a non mod posted it

Julias posted:

I didn't compare CSPAM to FYAD, I said mods sitting back and doing nothing led to FYAD becoming the toxic garbage pit it was. However, now that you mention it, it's gross to accuse Fluffdaddy of perpetuating systematic transphobia. There have been many instances where TGRS posters were asked to provide evidence of systematic transphobia on SA in QCS—we mods want to weed out any transphobia there is—and strangely no evidence is ever provided. Multiple TGRS/TRM posters kept on saying it existed, but were unable to provide examples. Why? As far as I can tell, not being allowed to be shitheads to every poster on the forum, to be allowed to bully and threaten them, and talk about forums drama endlessly in TGRS/TRM *was the systematic transphobia*, but if anybody ever came out and said that part, everyone would rightfully call them out as clowns. This is the absolute nadir of identity politics, using your identity as leverage to poo poo on and abuse other people for selfish personal game, consequences for other people be damned.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Giga Gaia posted:

im not angry about the mods but it is really funny that seemingly as soon as they made reports free there were too many reports and a popular thread had to be closed

only overnight and "maybe into tomorrow" *thread has not been reopened and stands atop d&d like a shining beacon of failure*

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
leave c-spam alone

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Kaedric posted:

Anyone else remember how folks told the mods that PPJ had an obvious bias against leftist posters, and the mods ignored this until he was literally outed as a nazi, and even then they defended him? And remember how literally not a single request from CSPAM during the shitstorm that followed outside of a forums title change(lol) was addressed, because the mods would never dare cede an ounce of ground to the leftist subforum?

This post is on topic because it's very similar to THE DEMOCRATS

I do indeed remember all of this.

some_loser
Dec 9, 2000

SUPERCONDUCTOR

I am of the opinion that the current moderation sucks poo poo.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I'm still of the mind "tell people who can't control themselves to leave" because that's how literally every safe space, well run group, or well run club/bar I've been to work.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

The report button is for cowards.

Imagine getting so angry about something someone said on the internet you need to call the manager of the internet and demand something be done about those hooligans over there talking too loudly and/or about topics that make your monocle fall into your drink/make you clutch your pearls

smdh

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
I like twoday and wish him the best. Thanks for making this thread so Succ Zone can go back to succing.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

From the other thread:

twoday posted:

But TL;DR, since the destruction of FYAD, there has been a vacancy for the position of “most problematic community on SA” and I’m trying to make sure that we don’t become permanently cemented into that position. You guys may not like some of the things I’ve been doing, but I’m trying my best to work together and to listen to you and base my choices around that. If we are not able to figure out a way to address the issues in c-spam, they will eventually either pick new mods or decide that this forum is more trouble than its worth and scrap it completely. I don’t want it to get that point but we are already part of the way there, so help me out here

I think literally the only way to prevent this is to tell the people complaining about it to shut up once and for all, and the vibe I'm getting is that any mod willing to do that doesn't have the authority to. The people complaining will never shut up about it on their own, precisely because not shutting up is working; it makes C-SPAM 'controversial', even if that controversy is partly (or possibly even largely) artificial, and being stirred up by a relatively small group of people, many of them offsite creeps and bigots.

I mean, godspeed to all of you, you have my deepest sympathies but I think you're fighting a losing battle here. Appeasement doesn't work, no amount of concessions will satisfy them, in fact concessions reward them and will only encourage them to complain more, because they are not arguing in good faith, they just want to see their enemies punished.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Gumball Gumption posted:

I'm still of the mind "tell people who can't control themselves to leave" because that's how literally every safe space, well run group, or well run club/bar I've been to work.
I agree with this and what you said about it in the other thread. I wish I had been a lot more aggressive in banning and permabanning people. There were a bunch of factors that played into why I didn't, some personal and some structural, and it frustrates me that subsequent mods and admins haven't felt the same way. Or maybe they do and just feel unable to for the same reasons I did, IDK.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
imma mod

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

:blastu:

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I've been working on this story for years and they just... post it

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

FactsAreUseless posted:

I agree with this and what you said about it in the other thread. I wish I had been a lot more aggressive in banning and permabanning people. There were a bunch of factors that played into why I didn't, some personal and some structural, and it frustrates me that subsequent mods and admins haven't felt the same way. Or maybe they do and just feel unable to for the same reasons I did, IDK.

how did you do this for so long, I'm dying

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

julias posted:

I've read those threads, and the claims that Fluffydaddy were being transphobic don't match up with anything that was posted in there, at best you could say he was insensitive because he wanted TGRS one way, posters there wanted it another way, and FluffDaddy said no.

what was the way he wanted it julias

spoiler: it was "no talking about systemic transphobia"

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

big if true

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

twoday posted:

how did you do this for so long, I'm dying
Things weren't as bad before the PPJ poo poo. It could be frustrating or difficult but it was a different environment.

Also compared to journalism it was cake.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

What if, and I'm just brainstorming here, everyone who reported a post, were themselves probated if the report was not judged to be actionable?

Put some force back into the report button. Make people bet their posting ability before pulling that trigger.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

GOD IS BED posted:

I like twoday and wish him the best. Thanks for making this thread so Succ Zone can go back to succing.

twoday seems like a decent person who became a mod at the most hilariously bad time

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Gumball Gumption posted:

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

Toph Bei Fong posted:

What if, and I'm just brainstorming here, everyone who reported a post, were themselves probated if the report was not judged to be actionable?

Put some force back into the report button. Make people bet their posting ability before pulling that trigger.

are you betting your posting ability right now on this becoming the policy

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

it is time to once more take up the sacred battlecry of the ancien regime:

NO MODS, NO MASTERS

or not

twoday posted:

Thank you for this detailed and thoughtful reply, I appreciate it. I am fully aware of the fact that there is no adequate venue for these sorts of discussions, and I personally consider it to be a systematic problem throughout the entire forum which consequently echoes throughout all of its parts. I’m not sure I can do much about that, besides point it out.

I also acknowledge that this is C-SPAM, and there should be plenty of room in any thread for random discussion about anything that’s happening anywhere, and that outside of rare circumstances, derails aren’t really even considered a real thing here.

I understand that it’s hard not discuss forums-wide situations, and though metaforum chat is technically prohibited, It’s not my plan to go around stomping on everyone’s neck any time they bring up something from another forum. But I do want to discourage that. And that’s not because I have some fetish for using my mod buttons, there is a practical reason for it.

I haven’t been a mod long, but the way I understand how the moderation of this site works is like this:

There are a ton of mods, way more than I realized, at least like 40 or 50, because there are a bunch of subforums dedicated to ham radio or whatever that nobody usually thinks about. And there are also the admins, who are in a way the mods of the mods. We have our little hidden forum where we discuss things. Perhaps a few of them have some grandiose plans to drastically reshape the forums, but if they do they don’t really make it known. Rather, the main goal for everyone there is just to make sure that the forums as a whole run smoothly and harmoniously, and that the most problematic issues of the forums are discussed and addressed, to ensure a smooth and enjoyable posting experience for as many users as possible. In this context, the nail which sticks out the most is the one which gets hammered down. C-SPAM is of course seen as some sort of problem child among the subforums because we have a unique little culture going on here, and we do things differently than the way people in other subforums would. But that’s not enough to turn everyone against us. The problem is that there have been recurring issues, things like calls for violence, or fomenting arguments with other subforums, or more recently doxxing. And each subforum has its problems and they all come up, but lately c-spam has been coming up a lot, and mods from other forums chime in and mention what they see as the most problematic behavior, the things which cause the most trouble, the unique behavior that wouldn’t be tolerated in 90% of the other subs, the things like doxxing and calls for violence that make the forums as a whole look bad.

The job of the c-spam mods is not to blindly follow what they say, and take actions to enforce their desires upon this community. Mods have a lot of autonomy with regards to the way they manage their particular communities, and if they don’t like the way we do things, they can always demod us and replace us. We are expected to represent and manage our communities on our own, and with regards to that, the c-spam mod team has no desire to limit your speech or arbitrarily punish you. The problem is the other thing, about being the nail that sticks out. If c-spam is one of the most problematic subforums, that generates the most notable reports, that is the continuing source of interforums conflicts, then we are expected to do something about that too, for the sake of making sure that the whole site runs smoothly.

And as I mentioned yesterday, out of all of c-spam, this thread alone is generally responsible for more than half of c-spam reports, and the source of many of the issues which people have protracted discussions about. It is, at the moment, seen as one of the most dysfunctional parts of the forums by many people elsewhere in the forums, and the c-spam mod team is expected to do something about that. We have some choice about how we approach that, and I’m trying to do that mostly via discussion. For all these arguments, I only gave 2 probes here in the last two days; I am not trying to suppress you, I am trying to listen to you, and also trying to figure out how to address these issues, and I hope we can come up with some mutual decisions together.

But TL;DR, since the destruction of FYAD, there has been a vacancy for the position of “most problematic community on SA” and I’m trying to make sure that we don’t become permanently cemented into that position. You guys may not like some of the things I’ve been doing, but I’m trying my best to work together and to listen to you and base my choices around that. If we are not able to figure out a way to address the issues in c-spam, they will eventually either pick new mods or decide that this forum is more trouble than its worth and scrap it completely. I don’t want it to get that point but we are already part of the way there, so help me out here

thanks for the thoughtful and thorough reply

I do hope some sort of accord can be reached, because otherwise I don't think Ray Smuckles is far wrong

due to its nature/subject/community C-SPAM is always going to be more contentious than said ham radio forum (although...), and is going to generate more reports proportionally and in absolute numbers (since its one of the more popular forums)

and that's without non-community members making concerted efforts to police C-SPAM, which they are

so it is always likely to be that nail to some extent

and despite your best efforts to let the community self-regulate, ultimately you and other mods are tasked with hammering it down in order to achieve the goals of people who are not members of that community, which necessarily is going to create conflict

and you're in a situation where very little trust exists, both because of past misbehavior on the part of moderation staff, previous external interference, and what has seemed to be a pretty consistent pattern of treating such things as one-offs instead of a trend and saying "we're listening" followed by *at most* begrudging acknowledgements that C-SPAM should probably be allowed to continue to exist in some form, now please shut up

what trust does exist/is granted is going to be undermined by attempts to moderate based on the preferences of other forums, which is going to create a nasty feedback loop - especially if you're looking at something like report volume as your metric, because that (already inherently high) number is super easy to juice indefinitely via a combination of aggressive over-reporting + poo poo-stirring (which in turn forms its own feedback loop, because of course the "problem" thread/forum needs extra policing)

nobody wants the FBI bothering Lowtax or C-SPAM doing a helldump retread, but you're sitting on a mess of ill-will and self-reinforcing cycles that needs to be somehow addressed (and that's hard because a lack of trust poisons everything, especially when one party has a history of insisting such reservations are baseless), and that's a thorny mess you (and other mods) need to take seriously or we're all just delaying the inevitable

I will say that one concrete thing I genuinely think would help in both the short and long runs is the overdue elevation of C-SPAM to a top-level forum, which addresses a number of issues simultaneously - it provides legitimacy/a concrete sign C-SPAM is here to stay (regardless of any future reforms/moderation changes that may/may not still happen), represents some follow-through from the moderation staff regarding something they had appeared amenable to in the past, it provides useful psychological/organizational separation from D&D, and it soothes all of the OCD feelings re: current forum organization vs. relative popularity

LGD has issued a correction as of 01:35 on May 27, 2020

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Imagine getting so angry about something someone said on the internet you need to call the manager of the internet and demand something be done about those hooligans over there talking too loudly and/or about topics that make your monocle fall into your drink/make you clutch your pearls

smdh

For real please use reports. It really helps. Hell send pms if you really want to make your point clear.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

fool of sound posted:

For real please use reports. It really helps

fool of sound posted:

This one thread has generated fully half the reports on the entire Something Awful forums today, and there's a whole slew of terrible posting that's gone unreported. All of the mods are exhausted of it, so the thread is going to take a break overnight, maybe into tomorrow.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Yeah, I think there has to be something to counter the report button being available to us filthy non-plats, if slamming the red button is all (potential) reward and no risk then it's frivolous use is gonna loving skyrocket (which might already be happening, idk)

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

I think literally the only way to prevent this is to tell the people complaining about it to shut up once and for all, and the vibe I'm getting is that any mod willing to do that doesn't have the authority to. The people complaining will never shut up about it on their own, precisely because not shutting up is working; it makes C-SPAM 'controversial', even if that controversy is partly (or possibly even largely) artificial, and being stirred up by a relatively small group of people, many of them offsite creeps and bigots.

LGD posted:

what trust does exist/is granted is going to be undermined by attempts to moderate based on the preferences of other forums, which is going to create a nasty feedback loop - especially if you're looking at something like report volume as your metric, because that (already inherently high) number is super easy to juice via a combination of aggressive over-reporting + poo poo-stirring (which in turn forms its own feedback loop, because of course the "problem" thread/forum needs extra policing)
well i try very hard not to give a poo poo about forums drama other than not liking it and they hate me over there for it. i think that dynamic LGD describes rings true. ultimately though i think that if a report is frivolous it should go in the nonsense jar like any other and it's just a click to do it. but if you are posting something like "i think all libs and chuds should be shoved into a gas chamber" then yeah you're an idiot and need to get lost, and whether it was one of those plotters or whatever who reported it, that doesn't matter. like some discord i've never read or will ever see gives themselves a pat on the back for tagging a cspam goon or whatever. while that might be upsetting, i can't exactly prove that is what is happening usually anyways since it's just some random goon making the report -- but even if i could what difference would it make? i think if i cared what some snickering nerds somewhere else on the internet thought then i'd wind up like that PPJ guy and start joining discords for some asinine reason.

https://twitter.com/britneyspears/status/1260717292012204037

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

It's frustrating to see this narrative that C-SPAM is just going to keep radicalizing posters until we produce an inevitable bad thing like a spree shooter or something terrible. It's practically impossible to push back against that kind of thing because it's in the hypothetical future and thus exists in a state of always being possible.

This seems to be the main argument used against this subforum, that inevitably we will lead to a big problem for Lowtax. And yet the forum has existed for years now and he hasn't gotten a secret service visit, so shouldn't the benefit of the doubt go our way? Other subforums have actual bodycounts to their name, and I don't say this to drag them, but rather to point out that C-SPAM is not a problem waiting to happen.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

fool of sound posted:

For real please use reports. It really helps. Hell send pms if you really want to make your point clear.

I'm still absolutely loving gobsmacked that someone PMing other posters for a list of bad posters, and this same user definitely proving they've got--at minimum--a list of posters with the number of rap sheet entries, was deemed totally fine and unnecessary to act on, not just by you, but by several mods.

Especially after the events of the past year that comes off as insanely loving suspect.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Better to Reign in CSPAM than serve in DND

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

Things weren't as bad before the PPJ poo poo. It could be frustrating or difficult but it was a different environment.

Also compared to journalism it was cake.

pretty sure it was just as bad, but it wasn't out in the open like this for everyone to get mad at because what the gently caress he was allowed to run free for so fuckin long

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Toph Bei Fong posted:

smdh

Boo, it has legitimate uses.

A few days ago, someone posted in-line infant gore in the pics thread.

(They were feeling spicy about the Iraq war.)

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

WampaLord posted:

It's frustrating to see this narrative that C-SPAM is just going to keep radicalizing posters until we produce an inevitable bad thing like a spree shooter or something terrible. It's practically impossible to push back against that kind of thing because it's in the hypothetical future and thus exists in a state of always being possible.

This seems to be the main argument used against this subforum, that inevitably we will lead to a big problem for Lowtax. And yet the forum has existed for years now and he hasn't gotten a secret service visit, so shouldn't the benefit of the doubt go our way? Other subforums have actual bodycounts to their name, and I don't say this to drag them, but rather to point out that C-SPAM is not a problem waiting to happen.

I don't even understand why all of C-Spam would be responsible for that future crime like people go on about. We're talking a thousand+ people who read and post in C-Spam. If someone in here ends up being the next spree killer the problem isn't that C-Spam radicalized the next spree killer, it's that we ignored a bunch of red flags and let that person keep hanging out. Especially because someone like that was probably really lovely in their time posting and was a jackass to people who were just trying to be cool and post.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
I'm of the opinion that moderation sucks right now!

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

I think there should be more mods that way they have enough manpower to deal with all the reports

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WampaLord posted:

The whataboutism can stretch to any topic and any subforum. There's been doxxing and swatting for years on Twitch and people have literally killed friends over Video Games. Does this mean we should shut down the Games forum because maybe one poster in there might become unhinged enough to do something? And even worse, most of that sort of stuff is something that happens sporadically, if they are openly talking about it then action can be taken but that doesn't mean we should all of a sudden get rid of any entire area for discussion because of the looming potential threat.

I'll scream this at the roof tops, but I really believe a tighter ran ship in D&D would see C-SPAM's popularity and overall usage dwindle. Harsher punishment for both the "centrist/lib" posters that pretty much have perfected baiting out a leftist into crossing the line in the sand and eating a 6er and the feedback loop leftist that tries to bait those posters into defending poo poo that doesn't need to be defended and isn't what the conversation is about. I've love to see the usage/site traffic for the moment the GE thread was shut down and how much more traffic the succ dem thread got immediately afterwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Yinlock posted:

pretty sure it was just as bad, but it wasn't out in the open like this for everyone to get mad at because what the gently caress he was allowed to run free for so fuckin long
I just mean from the perspective of being a mod, in response to that post. That doesn't make the PPJ poo poo okay and I'm still real mad about it. I can't blame anyone for distrusting the mods as a result.