Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Gumball Gumption posted:

So what did we even get out of this on the mod side? How do you all feel?

I feel pretty good about it. This thread started in the succzone, where there were several issues that I came in to address, one of them being recurring derails about other subforums and past forums grudges. Several of the issues people had with other forums have been concentrated into concise posts and forwarded to the relevant mods, so these issues will hopefully be taken care of by them. And, as I just mentioned, other people found a way to talk about what they wanted to talk about in a way that does not cause derails. The creation of the thread itself functioned as a way to remove these conversations from the succzone, so now that thread is also hopefully going to stay oriented on Democrats and succ stuff. People’s fears about c-spam being deleted have been addressed, and even an admin made a statement about it. The very practice of mod/poster interaction is good, and I hope that by having some of these discussions with you It has worked to de-escalate mod/poster tensions in c-spam a bit.

twoday has issued a correction as of 17:09 on May 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twoday
May 4, 2005

Sharkopath posted:

For mod feedback of cspam thats useful from this discussion though I'd say that without ceding ground to calm hitlering/sealioning/just asking questioning/trolls there are some issues like this one where leftists in one circle have different points of origin between leftists in others and with issues that are contentious I think discouraging posters going from 0-100 to assume the absolute worst and actually using what were I thought decided on long ago that posters couldn't just call people bigots of various stripes without proof would be helpful, or at least discouraging posting like that more strictly. I'm not a very common poster but one misunderstanding shouldn't lead to really tribalist posting like I'm a stranger infiltrating the barrier fence.

Yes, I generally agree. There is a lot of gatekeeping in c-spam, it sometimes becomes a circular leftist firing squad, and one of the recurring criticisms I see from people outside of c-spam is that it has become a closed-off and isolated community made of many small cliques, that speaks only its own language and is not welcoming of new people who aren’t used to our way of discussing things, and new people often feel chased off before they can engage or learn anything here. I don’t think it’s good to make frivolous or casual accusations of bigotry, at all, and I mentioned this earlier in the thread in that one really long post with 30 quotes, and I will try to call people out for it in the future. I think the mods all want c-spam to be a welcoming place where people feel safe to express their opinions (if they’re not lovely opinions), and this sort of behavior is not only obnoxious, but toxic to the community as a whole. But on the other hand, the people who bring up this stuff often have very valid points, though I wish people would settle these things more by discussion and less by yelling and name-calling. I’m glad you two were able to figure out a way to discuss this in the end!

twoday has issued a correction as of 17:18 on May 27, 2020

twoday
May 4, 2005

On that note, this seems like a natural conclusive point to end this conversation for now. If there is still something bothering you, feel free to pm me or the other mods! There will be another feedback thread in a while, and we will try to make it a habit of doing this somewhat regularly.