Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

when I became mod they mailed me a physical IRL big red button that I now have plugged into my computer next to my keyboard and am supposed to press only in case of emergencies, I pray I never have to use it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Why was nothing done about this post?

MageMage posted:

This guy is just as insufferable as harassing people and unreturned carts and yet the woman he's gaslightig holding onto the collar asking to being stopped recording is being "the Karen". Karen is just a new way to discredit a woman who has a problem with a man. It's sad really.

I tried reporting it and got the "it was already reported" message. ftr this poster is talking about the recent Central Park incident where that lady tried to call the cops on a black man because he asked her to leash her dog.

To quote another poster,

Megillah Gorilla posted:

MageMage is a bigoted piece of poo poo who uses the language of inclusion to start up derails on racism and transphobia.

Why wasn't that post acted on? Do the mods really see no problem with whatabouting a situation where some lady was trying to weaponize her privilege to get a black man harmed or killed by the police?

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

im getting coffee

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Why was nothing done about this post?

I tried reporting it and got the "it was already reported" message. ftr this poster is talking about the recent Central Park incident where that lady tried to call the cops on a black man because he asked her to leash her dog.

To quote another poster,

Why wasn't that post acted on? Do the mods really see no problem with whatabouting a situation where some lady was trying to weaponize her privilege to get a black man harmed or killed by the police?

it’s not actually reported, or at least I do not see it in any of the four report categories. that is unusual

anyway yeah it’s a pretty poo poo post

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
D&D generates more reports, their mods communicate less and is somehow not the problem forum.

Odd.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

The answer is going to be that the post by itself is fine and even though we talk about ramps and escalation we have no process for deciding when enough is enough.

Edit: whoops no. It was just reported and than disappeared into nowhere. It would be very funny if half of this is because reports have been just disappearing and no one knew.

Gumball Gumption has issued a correction as of 15:42 on May 27, 2020

LittleBlackCloud
Mar 5, 2007
xXI love Plum JuiceXx

FactsAreUseless posted:

I agree with this and what you said about it in the other thread. I wish I had been a lot more aggressive in banning and permabanning people. There were a bunch of factors that played into why I didn't, some personal and some structural, and it frustrates me that subsequent mods and admins haven't felt the same way. Or maybe they do and just feel unable to for the same reasons I did, IDK.

Big Gorbachev Energy

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

LittleBlackCloud posted:

Big Gorbachev Energy

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Lightning Knight posted:

it’s not actually reported, or at least I do not see it in any of the four report categories. that is unusual

Gumball Gumption posted:

The answer is going to be that the post by itself is fine and even though we talk about ramps and escalation we have no process for deciding when enough is enough.

Edit: whoops no. It was just reported and than disappeared into nowhere. It would be very funny if half of this is because reports have been just disappearing and no one knew.

That's extremely weird to say the least. are reports known to disappear? If someone were to delete a report from the mod forum would there be any record of that action being taken?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Lightning Knight posted:

oh I found it, it looks like it got buried in the avalanche of reports from the succ zone yesterday lol

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

All reports go first to the gently caress You & I Love You & Eat A Rat thread and they decide what gets sent to the people who think they're the actual moderators.

twoday
May 4, 2005

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

That's extremely weird to say the least. are reports known to disappear? If someone were to delete a report from the mod forum would there be any record of that action being taken?

It has happened to me before that someone said they reported something but I was unable to find it anywhere, I think occasionally they do get irradiumated

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I'm starting to think no one is equipped for this website to be more than posting about lunch, video games, and tv. Maybe cut out the last two, it can get heated.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

twoday posted:

It has happened to me before that someone said they reported something but I was unable to find it anywhere, I think occasionally they do get irradiumated

Lightning Knight posted:

oh I found it, it looks like it got buried in the avalanche of reports from the succ zone yesterday lol

lmao

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

The Schrodinger's Report

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Yeah. The people who make D&D and sometimes CSPAM unbearable arent the drive by low effort posters because sometimes they are funny and in any event its not hard to scroll past their shitposts. Its the people with the calmly written 'maybe the Karen who tried to commit murder by cop is the real victim here' horseshit that ruin threads. Its almost never in good faith from a genuinely confused person who just needs a little leeway to learn. Its a systemic trolling that hides behind the rules until someone else blows up at them and eats the probe.

I know its difficult to determine that kind of behavior from the standard goon report or even a brief thread skim, but maybe there should be some leeway for people dealing with idiots, and maybe the punishment should come down more heavily on the Just Asking Questions guy than on the people trying to shout them out of the thread. Just as a general principle of moderation.

I think this is more a D&D concern than a CSPAM concern though, because CSPAM culture encourages driving trolls out of the threads through constant verbal abuse and shunning while D&D demands every point be engaged with like 'effort', where 'effort' is a substitute for word count.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
*reaching hand out of a sea of reports* pls help, my mods r dying

*posters reaching down from boat with more reports* high five

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

twoday posted:

I've pointed these posts out to the relevant mods, the police should be here shortly

but again, it's not really relevant to this thread so I kindly request that you do that in PMs if possible

Thanks twoday, I will

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Lightning Knight posted:

lurkers:

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Gumball Gumption posted:

I'm starting to think no one is equipped for this website to be more than posting about lunch, video games, and tv. Maybe cut out the last two, it can get heated.

The Great 'Is a Hotdog a Sandwich' War of 2020 is on the horizon

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

Nix Panicus posted:

The Great 'Is a Hotdog a Sandwich' War of 2020 is on the horizon

all things must repeat

twoday
May 4, 2005

Lightning Knight posted:

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
"report and move on"

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

"just kick out the people who generate the most reports and have shown they can't behave themselves"

*mods as their head slips under* no

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

"bring on more mods to help with reports if they're overwhelming"

*no response, mods already drownded*

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

oxsnard posted:

no, I have something to discuss with the person itt who thinks "Talcum X" is a great own and then doubled down by saying "look at his skin color"

I disagree that nicknames and jokes about skin color are immediately raw bigotry in my varied life experience, things are valid in certain situations and aren't in others and having seen the nickname in the context I did of online black spaces the only reference it made was to the fact that he looks nearly identical to malcolm x while being paler without trying to erase his racial identity, it was a nickname that had crossover between the original lovely communities and more normal ones. Characterizing the interaction as doubling down when all you did was go aggro on me and demand probation while another poster actually spent a single short post about why the name sucked and how I would be unaware of its origin and I then immediately dropped it, because i was enlightened. That's my peace on the actual nickname and the statement at the very top of this post about the viability of physicalality based humor among people inside the community is a way more complicated discussion thats not right for this thread.

For mod feedback of cspam thats useful from this discussion though I'd say that without ceding ground to calm hitlering/sealioning/just asking questioning/trolls there are some issues like this one where leftists in one circle have different points of origin between leftists in others and with issues that are contentious I think discouraging posters going from 0-100 to assume the absolute worst and actually using what were I thought decided on long ago that posters couldn't just call people bigots of various stripes without proof would be helpful, or at least discouraging posting like that more strictly. I'm not a very common poster but one misunderstanding shouldn't lead to really tribalist posting like I'm a stranger infiltrating the barrier fence.

oxsnard posted:

Who the gently caress is this idiot and where did they come from

Sharkopath has issued a correction as of 16:33 on May 27, 2020

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Gumball Gumption posted:

"just kick out the people who generate the most reports and have shown they can't behave themselves"

*mods as their head slips under* no

reports for threats of violence 10
reports for language 15
reports for derailing the thread over re-litigating basic axioms such as 'slavery is bad' 42069
reports for NSFW material 3

someone who is good at forums please help me moderate this. my mods are dying

Nix Panicus has issued a correction as of 16:18 on May 27, 2020

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Vim Fuego posted:

LOL, remember after the PPJ thing the mods insisted that they were having an Entmoot to get together and reach consensus and make a decision and write a letter to everyone about whether CSPAM would be made top level, then it turned out they were lying and didn't do any of that

Yeah, it looks like a weird grudge/complex thing.

I turned my Patreon off over dumb mod drama.

It's staying off because of how irritated I'll be when C-SPAM's deleted.

twoday
May 4, 2005

Accretionist posted:

Yeah, it looks like a weird grudge/complex thing.

I turned my Patreon off over dumb mod drama.

It's staying off because of how irritated I'll be when C-SPAM's deleted.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

The staff here is well aware that deleting c-spam would be pointlessly destructive and harmful to a large number of people and this website - nobody is considering it. If the secret service gets called and lowtax suggests to me that he wants to, I will do my best to insist that he does not. Short of that you have nothing to fear on that front.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Sharkopath posted:

I disagree that nicknames and jokes about skin color are immediately raw bigotry in my varied life experience, things are valid in certain situations and aren't in others and having seen the nickname in the context I did of online black spaces the only reference it made was to the fact that he looks nearly identical to malcolm x while being paler without trying to erase his racial identity, it was a nickname that had crossover between the original lovely communities and more normal ones. Characterizing the interaction as doubling down when all you did was go aggro on me and demand probation while another poster actually spent a single short post about why the name sucked and how I would be unaware of its origin and I then immediately dropped it, because i was enlightened. That's my peace on the actual nickname and the statement at the very top of this post about the viability of physicalality based humor among people inside the community is a way more complicated discussion thats not right for this thread.

For mod feedback of cspam thats useful from this discussion though I'd say that without ceding ground to calm hitlering/sealioning/just asking questioning/trolls there are some issues like this one where leftists in one circle have different points of origin between leftists in others and with issues that are contentious I think discouraging posters going from 0-100 to assume the absolute worst and actually using what were I thought decided on long ago that posters couldn't just call people bigots of various stripes without proof would be helpful, or at least discouraging posting like that more strictly. I'm not a very common poster but one misunderstanding shouldn't lead to really tribalist posting like I'm a stranger infiltrating the barrier fence.

"Haha this insult is a great own"
*Gets called out for it*
"No you see I assumed it was used lovingly, because he looks like Malcom X"

Those two things don't line up. My biracial niece gets teased for her skin at an elementary school by both races. If you don't understand that dynamic at all and say you couldn't understand why it would be problematic before posting it, then you're either trolling or a massive idiot

edit: black activists who say Talcum X are being bigots too, for the record. Biracial kids deal with a different, yet overlapping, set of problems as "obviously black" people

oxsnard has issued a correction as of 16:39 on May 27, 2020

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

oxsnard posted:

"Haha this insult is a great own"
*Gets called out for it*
"No you see I assumed it was used lovingly, because he looks like Malcom X"

Those two things don't line up. My biracial niece gets teased for her skin at an elementary school by both races. If you don't understand that dynamic at all and say you couldn't understand why it would be problematic before posting it, then you're either trolling or a massive idiot

CSPAM has a lot of threads, is there a thread we could get real down on this elsewhere in properly? I'd like to discuss it with you because I don't hold a grudge and just went aggro when you were aggro back at me. You might have missed my post where I talked about the contentious nature of self loathing and search for community identity in biracial people because this isnt really a thread suited to this discussion.

Sharkopath has issued a correction as of 16:42 on May 27, 2020

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Sharkopath posted:

CSPAM has a lot of threads, is there a thread we could get real down on this elsewhere in properly? I'd like to discuss it with you because I don't hold a grudge and just went aggro when you were aggro back at me. You might have missed my post where I talked about the contentious nature of self loathing and search for community identity in biracial people because this isnt really a thread suited to this discussion.

Fair enough. It's a really upsetting topic for me right now because of my niece. She has very light skin but her hair looks like a black person's, and she had a very traumatic year. I don't want to hold a grudge either. I can talk about it over PMs if you want

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

twoday posted:

I just want to say that while I understand why this thread was created, these feedback threads take up a lot of time and energy on the mod side. We had one stickied at the top of c-spam for about a week recently and we want to make that a recurring quarterly thing, but we don't want to have a permanent micro-QCS here because there is a lot of potential for problems with that. So this thread will be open for a bit, to address the issues it arose from, but it's going to be closed relatively soon. And after that you can always PM us with pressing issues, or wait a few months till the next thread to give more general feedback.

So what did we even get out of this on the mod side? How do you all feel?

Because to me this feels like session number whatever in an endless cycle of mods telling us they want to work together as a community, people make suggestions, mods tell us their hands are tied, no one explains why, and then the mods get upset that being a mod is hard. It's exhausting and stupid and this thread really makes me want to gently caress off from C-Spam and just go back to posting about wrestling and dumb poo poo because no one wants to work on making the political parts of this forum enjoyable. How is every single person on this website a powerless cog who can't make any changes to it?

twoday
May 4, 2005

Thank you both for figuring out a way to discuss this issue, which is important to both of you, in such a way that it does not lead to a long interforums derail in c-spam!

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

oxsnard posted:

Fair enough. It's a really upsetting topic for me right now because of my niece. She has very light skin but her hair looks like a black person's, and she had a very traumatic year. I don't want to hold a grudge either. I can talk about it over PMs if you want

I'm more comfortable posting in public, but I do understand your aggression and don't think its invalid, just misplaced and upsetting to me since I also lived that experience and took a long time to get comfortable in my own skin.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

The struggle sessions will continue until morale improves

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Sharkopath posted:

I'm more comfortable posting in public, but I do understand your aggression and don't think its invalid, just misplaced and upsetting to me since I also lived that experience and took a long time to get comfortable in my own skin.

I'm fine with either. Make a thread and I'll participate

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

littleorv posted:

The struggle sessions will continue until morale improves

this but unironically

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

oxsnard posted:

I'm fine with either. Make a thread and I'll participate

I think theres room for a thread like that even if it might not get a lot of engagement, the news about hana kimura is still very recent and raw.

It is a very heavy topic though if its going to just be a general biracial issues thread so I'd ask for some time to even contemplate how the hell you even OP that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

twoday posted:

Thank you both for figuring out a way to discuss this issue, which is important to both of you, in such a way that it does not lead to a long interforums derail in c-spam!

Could you please respond to the part of my post this page that is directly mod feedback, it would be appreciated.