Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

:eyepop: that sure was a die explosion
C

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

C - Emphasize caution. He's worthless if he gets caught. We want to profit from this relationship for years to come.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
C this is promising.

Kristopher
Jun 28, 2006

jng2058 posted:

C - Emphasize caution. He's worthless if he gets caught. We want to profit from this relationship for years to come.

C, with a healthy dose of caution. If we're sticking with our pirate crew, it will probably be some time before we make it out here again. Plenty of time to work his way up the ranks without taking any truly significant risks.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Blasphemaster posted:

:stare:

C. . Infiltrate everything! One thrall at a time.

You grin at your new thrall, pleased to have a mind-slave of your very own. The first of many, no doubt. You don't know how exactly you enthralled him, but you now know you have that capability. Sadly, he wasn't a prominent alchemist. Manning the warehouse is no doubt grunt work given to less promising junior members.They'd pawn it off on an apprentice or hired help if there weren't so many dangerous substances involved. You glance down at his name plate.

"I'm glad to hear you're so committed to the cause Ezio! Give me what you can now without endangering your own prospects for promotion. Then seek to improve your position so you can help me further. I have an interest in the deeper secrets, you must gain access to them. Work hard, move quickly, but remember that you are no good to me dead or imprisoned. If you are discovered by the Inquisition or otherwise feel as though your existence puts me at greater risk than potential benefit, kill yourself."

He smiles and bows, "yes, brilliant. The moment I am more hindrance than help, I will cease to be. I can arrange for a delivery of our finest tools and supplies without much risk. Please, also, take my savings. I will keep some for bribes and study aids, but I no longer feel any need for the luxuries that once enslaved me. I have a higher purpose now. Is there anything else I can do for you while you're here?"

You have gained:

- A large supply of common and somewhat rare alchemical ingredients
- A masterwork set of alchemy tools
- A full set of introductory alchemy textbooks
- 1500 silver pieces

1. Do you have any further orders? Ezio is your faithful servant in Alexia and there are many things he could do for you without much risk.

A. Shop for you in the open markets. You now have a good sum of money, very few possessions and this is a good place to spend it. Write in general terms what you want and give him a budget. Some options: Adventuring equipment, navigation equipment, scholarly tools, weapons and armor, books, clothing suitable to your station, luxuries suitable to your station.

B. Shop for you in the black markets. There's always danger looking for illegal goods, he could take on that risk for you! Write in general terms what you want and give him a budget. Some options: Banned books, magical equipment, drugs.

C. Look for news and rumors. Alexia is a bustling city and it's one of the better places to learn what's going on in the world. He can spend his time finding gathering information, then distill it into an executive report for you.

D. Write in.

You had incredible good fortune helping Abigail resupply, but it wasn't the only thing you wanted to do in the city. You still have a day free while the pirates nurse their hangovers. You decide to spend it at the Great Archives, Alexia's most famous institution. It's not hard to find, you can see the softly glowing Roost from anywhere in the city. Only the glaring flame of the Watchtower overshadows it. At night, red flame and gold glow compete, symbolic of the more mundane cold war between Inquisitor and Monk on the ground. You join the river of scholars and tourists on Enlightenment Road, glad that your stolen clothes don't stick out too much.

You feel a spike of hear as Enlightenment Road meets the White Wall. Thankfully, the gates were open and the Hunting Parties restrained themselves to menacing glares at anyone who dared learn things. You can't help but steal a few too many glances at your opposition. You'd always been ideologically opposed to the Inquisition, but now they'd burn this city to ashes to catch you in the inferno. A traditional Hunting Party had seven very well trained killers. Two parties watched the front gate. You count four paladins out front in their shining armor. Four more sharpshooters stood elevated on the wall, wielding traditional longbows they'd trained years to master. Two grenadiers sat behind them, talking their trade. You don't see the assassins, but that was the point. They'd be with the crowd in plain clothes. Finally, the inquisitors. One was stocky and well muscled, the other thin and rat-faced. Both dressed in all white robes. You quickly look away when rat-face's sharp eyes glare towards you. Rumor was, the inquisitors could smell magic. Well, one of many rumors.

You keep your head down and make it through the wall. It's like stepping into another world. Visitors congregate around the open air lecturing forums, where monks expound on nature, physics, history, and culture. You want to linger, but you're not yet even in the Great Archives, and there are only so many hours in a day. The Archives is a massive building divided into three distinct tiers. The first floor is the largest and open to all. If you were being pedantic you'd note that it's more accurately three floors linked by open staircases in the center. The main feature of the first floor is the open library. You'd die of old age before you managed to read all the books on those endless shelves. There's also reading room, and for a modest fee you could get any book on the first floor copied. The monks work impossibly fast. Literally, impossibly. You did the math. They're tight lipped about it, but you suspect divine magic is involved.

A thick seven story tall tower rose up from the first tier. Those were the restricted sections, available only to monks and select scholars. Those floors were an open sore for the Inquisition. It was well known that in those sections the monks preserved, and even shared, banned books that could be found nowhere else.

Above the restricted tower rose a thin spire. Only monks were allowed that high, and only they know what it contains. The Roost glowed from the top of the spire. You say a quick prayer when your gaze reaches it. No need to disrespect the Glowing Owl, Living God of Knowledge. It was only Roja's protection that kept the Inquisition at bay.

2. You're at the Great Archives! What do you want to do?

A. There's a lot to learn in the open library. Look for stories, poems, and historical texts that might teach you about the Chains. This is the least dangerous but also least fruitful option

B. A, but convince a monk to help in the search. It could go a lot quicker with their aid, but you'd need to be careful about what you tell them

C. Convince a monk to grant you access to relevant restricted sections

D. Sneak into the restricted sections

E. Sneak higher, try to find out what's in the spire.

F. Sneak even higher, try to talk to Roja

G. Write in

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

A. Budget 1400 silver. Priorities: Light armor > a sword > navigation equipment.
E!

Bob Tuskins
Jul 27, 2007

I couldn't imagine life without the beautiful sight of the green horde
A. 1500 budget. Get a suitable weapon and clothes. Also, pick up any books that might be helpful.

B

Kristopher
Jun 28, 2006
1. 1400 silver to buy stylish leather armor, a rapier, and a parrying dagger.
2. B

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Kristopher posted:

2. B

Yes please, the budget doesn't need to all used up either.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Higher budgets with fewer items means he'll look for higher quality items. Very high quality armor will look better, be more durable, fit better, and stand up to better weapons. But it's not magic, and most people who aren't rich as hell think the difference between good enough and a true masterwork is pretty small. Do you need the $12,000 couch, or are you just throwing money away when the $500 one sits fine?

This is a very good market though, and if you're really willing to pay though the nose you might get something made of exotic materials that really can stand up to things that would shred cow leather.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

1. C - We can shop for ourselves. He's got the contacts in town to get us the good info.

2. C - We've recently developed Mind Control powers. We have a lot of money on us. We're also noble born and good at bossing people around. One of these techniques should get us the access we want.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Oh god malbogio if we are rolling swiftness for sneaking I'm pretty sure it's a d4.

quote:

2. C - We've recently developed Mind Control powers. We have a lot of money on us. We're also noble born and good at bossing people around. One of these techniques should get us the access we want.

Our mind control powers are presently not something we can actually call upon. That was a loving amazing set of rolls and that got a similarly amazing effect. Would somewhat diminish things if we could repeat it so easily.

I'm also not sure we actually need armor. We get health back when we hurt things.

Are we actually any good at using weapons?

2. C

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
You're a passable swordswoman. You were trained in rapier and pistol dueling. You know the "swashbuckling" style, which is derived from court dueling but taught with a more improvisational/self defense focus. You're no match for your fencing master though, and would not do well in a tournament. A paladin would bisect you in a straight fight.

You can fight in light armor but nothing heavier. The kind of armor you're most familiar with is layered cloth used for training, but you can get used to leather.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

2. B.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Kristopher posted:

2. B

You gave Ezio your order. He frowns seriously when you repeat that you want stylish armor. It seems you’ve given him a difficult task, but he’ll try his best.

B = Get help looking in the open library.

Persuade Charisma: 1d6 1
Explode?: 1d8 6

There's a bunch of rolls here but they're all just looking for explosions and none are worth showing. Your Inspiration adds your heart die, maximizes your highest die, and lowers difficulty by 1. That's 8 + 2 with help vs. 5. So you auto-succeed but it's not an extraordinary success. I didn't want to guide you guys too much with system mastery hints, but keep in mind that any action to discover knowledge gets massive bonuses, which means you can very safely do risky things in the name of research. The only option that wasn't a guaranteed win was trying to ascend all the way to the top and speak to Roja.

You decide not to risk the restricted sections when you haven’t exhausted the open library. Sorting through the vast collection on your own could take years you don’t have. You need a monk.

You stroll to the information desk and give the brown-robed monk your most winning smile. Then you tap the desk. Then you slam the desk. He finally looks up from his book and takes in your sailing outfit, clearly unimpressed, “bathrooms down the hall on the left.”

You try to contain your rage at his condescending tone, “Thanks, but I’ll admire the plumbing later. I’m looking for information on some artifacts, likely Ancient Anthenian in origin. One is confirmed as…”

“Anthenian archaeology is in section B4 and G6.” He immediately looks back down at the book, and you consider skewering him. Maybe you could make him a mind slave?

You’re interrupted from your musings by the voice of a peppy woman, “By Roja! Lady Andorai, is that you? What happened to your expedition?”

You instantly recognize the rotund middle aged woman in yellow monk’s robes. Soraya Lajani, one of the world’s foremost scholars on the legacy of the Anthenian empire. You met at a conference two years ago and hit it off immediately.

You go with a measured response, “delayed and diverted after some trouble at sea. I’m sorry, but Sir Omondi died during the journey. I believe he was affiliated with the Order?”

Her smile fades and she nods, “I’ll inform the council. We all know the risks of long expeditions.”

You continue, “the only salvage from the trip is some clues to potential new occupation sites. An underground tomb in…” You take a wild guess based on your vision, “The edge of southern Habash? Well past the great desert. And a temple somewhere in the Savage lands.”

Her smile creeps back as she considers, “I wouldn’t be surprised about the tomb, there are sites from the second expansion littered across Habash. Magistrates would be entombed locally with high honors. You understand that ‘southern Habash’ is more land than the whole Suleiman court? Even the well-travelled are often surprised by the sheer size of our nation. Here at the northern tip, we’re far closer to your capital than to our own. I can show you a map of all the currently known Anthenian tombs and burial records, maybe that will help? Are you sure about the other site? The Savage Lands were never occupied, I think that’s why they’re ‘savage.’ We recognize each other as civilized because we share remnants of the same occupation. The Anthenians weren’t much for temples either, as you know they rejected the Living Gods as pretenders to the true divinity they believed could be found among the stars…”

You’re not sure if all the chains are connected to ancient Anthenia. Only the scepter is certain, but you need to start somewhere. For the rest of the day she enthusiastically helps you in your search.

You check her database of Habash sites, but only so you know where not to look. You’re certain the tomb was undisturbed. The image from your vision comes to you easily, and in a moment of brilliance you realize that you can identify the stone used in its construction. A quick consult on geology in southern Habash and you narrow things down to the province now known as Herero.

You have less success with the temple in the Savage Lands. Soraya confirms that the Great Archives just don’t have enough information about the lands that far East. You’d need a local guide.

You move on to the two artifacts in your vision. You know exactly where they are, and don’t want to plan the heist of the century with Soraya following you, but you’re interested in their providence. You discuss the scepter with Soraya. She seems uncomfortable at first, “It’s passed down as a symbol of royal authority in New Anthenia, so of course it’s Anthenian… You’re not going to get, you know, political, are you?”

After some assurances, she opens up, “It, well, it’s definitely Anthenian. But I really don’t think it’s a Royal artifact. The Anthenians were colonizers from somewhere across the Endless Sea. New Anthenia is the site of their first landing, sure, I’ll buy that. But there’s no evidence that their royal family ever settled anywhere pre-Cataclysm. Why would they, when they have a nation of their own to manage? It’s always magistrates, and the traditional sign of magisterial authority is a thin gold crown of thorns like most Kings wear. The New Anthenian crown isn’t special. The scepter was a prominent object at the time, we have murals in multiple sites depicting it. Those murals don’t show it in the hands of kings. If anything the engravings show it’s a tool…” She glances around conspiratorially, “a magic tool. Upstairs we have reproductions of all the murals, and the scepter is always shooting beams of light at sea monsters. The Inquisition says it’s not magical. Personally, I think it’s just missing something, like a bow without a string.”

She has very little to say about the Gem of Arkas, “It’s a big pretty rock. Some say the biggest and prettiest. Could it be Anthenian? I don’t know, someone had the mine it out and pretty it up, I guess. I’m not aware of any evidence either way.” You know it was discovered inside the stump of an oak tree, already cut. Suleiman razed Arkas forest looking for more ‘tree gems’ but never found anything else.

Soraya is happy to keep researching in your absence. She believes the tomb in Herero is promising and she’d be overjoyed to find another new archaeological site.

1. What do you do about your archaeologist friend?
A. Encourage her to keep researching on her own. Over time she might be able to narrow it down further. She’s likely to publish whatever she finds and this could kick up a dig.
B. Encourage her, and give her some money to bring in a research team.
C. Discourage her from doing more research without you.
D. Write in.

2. You have some time in the library. Is there anything you want to ask or look up?

Bob Tuskins
Jul 27, 2007

C

Ask if we can take a look at the murals.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Persuade Charisma: 1d6+1d8 4

"Can I look at those murals myself?"

She smiles politely but shakes her head, "they're highly restricted. I'm sorry, but things are a bit heated with the inquisition and I'm afraid if they heard we were showing people images that glorified magic they would start kidnapping people at the gate."

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

A. I wouldn't mind the assistance. Maybe we can subvert the expedition or rob the archeologists later.

Ask her to point out practical books on Ancient Anthenia and have a scribe make copies. A book or two on the language would be great. Maybe we should learn more about their architecture, religion, culture etc. Can she give us an idea of what sorts of defenses the tomb might have? Traps? Locks? Magic safeguards?

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

malbogio posted:

A. I wouldn't mind the assistance. Maybe we can subvert the expedition or rob the archeologists later.

Ask her to point out practical books on Ancient Anthenia and have a scribe make copies. A book or two on the language would be great. Maybe we should learn more about their architecture, religion, culture etc. Can she give us an idea of what sorts of defenses the tomb might have? Traps? Locks? Magic safeguards?

You order some books of interest while you're here. The scribes take them to the basement where they do... Something. They'll have copies ready by the end of the day. She's can read the language herself, and she recommends you a textbook she wrote on Ancient Anthenian translation. Most of these are replacements for books you already had, but they're worth reviewing. She warns you that much of what's "known" about the Ancient Anthenians is up for debate. The cataclysm represents a black period in history with only a scattering of ruins and oral legends. The current date is 244 AC. Most people think that's After Cataclysm, but as a nerd scholar, you know that it's actually After Court, marking the ascension of King Habash the 1st and the beginning of the Court system. No one knows exactly when the cataclysm happened or how long it took for humanity to recover, but modern scholars believe that the majority of the world population was wiped out and it took several generations to restore civilization as we know it. The pre-cataclysm world is only now being discovered. The language was only re-constructed within your lifetime and no one knows what it truly sounds like. (New) Anthenians claim that they hold the unbroken legacy of Ancient Anthenia. Even the name comes from them, but Soraya thinks their claims are more mythological than real and aren't supported by the material record. She goes on about this at length. When you finally get her to the specific question about tombs she answers:

"I wouldn't worry about anything mundane. All that's left is stone, and if they built mechanical traps in the other tombs, they'd be dust by now. There's little evidence that they even had locks besides basic latches. People often misunderstand the Athenians, they think that because they had such a huge, dominant empire that they were an advanced people. Technologically, they were shockingly primitive. Their empire relied heavily on magic to deal with problems that we've long since solved using only the power of clever thinking. You know they didn't even have sails? Yet they crossed the Endless Sea! I believe they used some kind of spatial doorways to connect their colonies. There's no direct evidence of it, but I can't see any other way they could have managed the logistics and moved their forces so rapidly. If there's danger in the tomb, it will be magical. I... Shouldn't advise you on how to deal with those kinds of problems. You're required by the Accords to let the Inquisition explore and purge any new sites as soon as they're discovered. Only they are supposed to know what magical dangers a new tomb could contain."

-20 Silver

+ Collection of texts on Ancient Anthenian language and culture.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Bob Tuskins posted:

C

Ask if we can take a look at the murals.

I was a bit discouraged to only get two votes, but I think it's because I quoted a vote along with a question/free action and that probably signaled that he'd won and voting was over. Sorry, I hadn't rolled for votes yet. I rolled a 1d2 and 1 was the winner, so that's Bob with C: Discourage her from pursuing this on her own.

‘Thanks for all the help!” you give her a genuinely warm smile, “but…”

“But I’m just a librarian doing my job, not a full collaborator, and you’d appreciate it if I didn’t snipe your research for myself? I understand completely,” She smiles and nods professionally, “Next time you’re in town, I’d love to discuss your work further, and we’d appreciate a copy of your manuscript once you’re ready to publish...” She looks around and leans in conspiratorially, “I’d appreciate it even more if you can get us a draft before its official.”

She doesn’t have to say more. You know that the inquisition would want both first crack at the tomb and they’d want to censor anything you write on it. The Archives would put a pre-censored draft in their restricted sections and an official copy in the open library. Not that you have any intention of giving anything to the inquisition.

It’s well after sunset when you finally leave the library, a sack of books on Ancient Anthenia in tow, and head back to your ship. It’s been a productive shore leave.

+2 Mood for learning new things and spending a day in the library! You love that stuff.
You are at 4/6 Mood.

Perception: 1d8 7

You’re one of the last scholar to leave the Archives before they close the gates. The stream of visitors has turned to a trickle. You keep a careful eye on the Inquisition hunters, and you notice the skinny inquisitor’s eyes flash quickly to you and then away again. He scratches his nose and looks up at a rooftop. You carefully follow his gaze and notice a shadow drop down into an alley. Moments later, a plain woman strolls out a bit in front of you. You hear the heavy, clanking footsteps of a paladin behind you.

1. It’s clear the Inquisition plans to intercept you, with an assassin in front and a paladin behind. What do you do?

A. Play it cool, think really hard about how you’re a law abiding citizen with nothing to hide. This is just a routine stop and frisk, isn’t it?

B. gently caress it, RUN! You can easily outrun the paladin in his heavy armor and you’ve noticed the assassin. Dive down the opposite alley and shake them.

C. gently caress them, FIGHT! Use the Swashbuckling style. You don’t have a sword or armor, you’re supposed to meet your thrall with the goods tonight, but you do have your stolen knife. A full hunting party will gently caress YOU UP. You’re no match for just the paladin. But you might be able to charge the assassin, wound her, and then escape from the slower paladin.

D. NO, gently caress THEM!!!! Fight with Abyssal Magic. You haven’t used it in real combat, but you believe it’s incredibly potent. Destroy them body and soul with terrible power. You know the inquisition’s primary purpose is hunting and killing sorcerers, but there really aren’t enough sorcerers left to occupy them. Most Inquisitors have never seen a real witch. They’ve re-focused on ‘prevention’ i.e. censorship and harassment. Maybe this hunting party can’t handle the real deal anymore?

E. Use Abyssal magic more creatively. Write in how.

F. Don’t use magic, but do something else creative. Write in.

Kristopher
Jun 28, 2006
E. Since Abyssal magic includes both madness and abomination as part of its nature, would it be possible to drive the paladin behind us to very publicly commit some serious sacrilege? With everyone distracted with that, using the moment of to get the advantage, rush down the assassin and then get out of there.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

A

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Kristopher posted:

Since Abyssal magic includes both madness and abomination as part of its nature, would it be possible to drive the paladin behind us to very publicly commit some serious sacrilege? With everyone distracted with that, using the moment of to get the advantage, rush down the assassin and then get out of there.

It's definitely possible to try, that kind of thing is well within Abyssal magic's domain.

Bob Tuskins
Jul 27, 2007

E. I want to try to dominate one or both of them. Play it just like last time, forcefully demand to know why they are following us. Start with whichever reaches us first.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

A "We're doing nothing wrong. We're doing nothing wrong. We don't have anything illegal on us. We're doing nothing wrong."

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
E- Make thralls out of anyone nearby. Order them to fight the Paladin and assassin to the death while we escape

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

B!

The rumor is that inquisitors can detect magic and from the way they honed in on us it seems true. If they can then there's no way we're talking our way out of this.

Directly attacking the inquisitors with abyssal magic might work. But if we confirm our abilities in a dramatic fashion I'm worried we'll have dozens more inquisitors sent to hunt us down.

My preference here is to flee without confirming the full extent of our abilities.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

malbogio posted:

B!

The rumor is that inquisitors can detect magic and from the way they honed in on us it seems true. If they can then there's no way we're talking our way out of this.

Directly attacking the inquisitors with abyssal magic might work. But if we confirm our abilities in a dramatic fashion I'm worried we'll have dozens more inquisitors sent to hunt us down.

My preference here is to flee without confirming the full extent of our abilities.

Yeah this seems like the most prudent course of action. Take advantage of our perception roll instead of just going along with an obvious ambush or showing our hand.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

malbogio posted:

B!

B for this reason.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
Can we do a knowledge check?

What could they possibly have on us?

Were we dumb enough to bring all the alchemy gear with us?

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Can we do a knowledge check?

What could they possibly have on us?

Were we dumb enough to bring all the alchemy gear with us?

Worst case they have a way to detect magic and you triggered it. Best case they're just harassing people coming out of the gate because they don't like the Archives and you've been randomly targeted.

You don't have anything illegal on you. The worst thing you have is a bag of books on Ancienth Anthenia. That's not illegal, but it might be provocative. The alchemy stuff is being loaded on your ship, supervised by Abigail.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
A. We're a person of some moderate status, with ties to the order, who has every reason to be here. Cooperate and be cordial.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Bob Tuskins posted:

E. I want to try to dominate one or both of them. Play it just like last time, forcefully demand to know why they are following us. Start with whichever reaches us first.

You are a member of the nobility and do not deserve this kind of harassment! You’ll make these arrogant fools pay for this! You spin around and stare the paladin down. You’re met with an impassive metal mask, you can barely make out narrowed eyes past the protective slits. It’s a hard trick to look down at him, he’s a mountain of gleaming metal so you have to tilt your head pretty far back.

“I would know why you’re accosting a lady of the seven courts!” you sneer.

He hesitates, then closes the distance. You try to keep a sidelong eye on the assassin, for now she’s leaning casually on the wall and watching. She’s keeping her cover, assuming you haven’t noticed her for what she is.

“The inquisition’s mission transcends all earthly status, ma’am. If you are found innocent and would like to file a complaint, you may do so at the Watchtower. For now, my inquisitor would like a word with you,” he roughly seizes your arm and starts dragging you back to the wall.

“How dare you!” you screech. The gall! You hold his eyes again, but this time you draw on your power. It would be so delicious to make this thug submit to you, just like that clerk!

He stiffens, and you see confusion in his eyes for a moment. Then he shakes his head and drags you again. “I’m… I’m sorry ma’am. I don’t…. I have to do my duty. My duty. It’s important. I’m protecting the world.” There’s very little authority in his voice, it sounds more like he’s talking to himself.

Dominating Gaze: 1d8 5
Mechanics note: You don’t know how to dominate permanently (you may learn eventually, but it’s beyond your power at the moment unless you get very lucky), but you can try to do it temporarily. 4 base, +2 difficulty for a disciplined mind. This is a minor failure, so he resists and you’re in a worse position, but he does not recognize it as a mental invasion.
Shout out to Malbogio for voting with a !. If failure isn’t an option, you’ll want to put ! in your vote so you spend resources on succeeding.

1. You’re being manhandled by the paladin who is dragging you to the wall. The assassin is following at a distance. He is slightly befuddled. What do you do?

A. Well, you’re along for the ride now. Let him bring you back to the inquisitor and try to talk your way out.

B. Run! This will be harder now, you’ll need to slip the paladin and juke the assassin

C. Fight! This will also be harder. You might be able to throw the paladin, or slip a knife between the plates? Your fighting style relies on freedom of movement and won’t help you much from this position. You'll need to rely on raw strength or speed.

D. Fight with magic! You can use it just fine from this position, though you’ll only have one shot to take down the paladin before things get messy.

E. Something clever with magic! They didn’t recognize it last time. If anyone here can detect magic, it’s the inquisitor. You’re being dragged closer to him, but he’s lounging at the wall a distance away. Write in.

F. Something clever without magic! You’re a smart lady, maybe there’s still a way to get out of this? Write in.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
Well, now we've hosed up.

A. Not in a good position.

Bob Tuskins
Jul 27, 2007

Well drat, I somehow missed the part about putting a ! With my vote.

E! May as well try again the same thing again, maybe him being befuddled will make it easier. I really don’t want to meet the inquisitor.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
E!veryone near here, HELP! These ruffians are trying to steal my virtue!

Compel others in the area to save us

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

B!

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Slaan posted:

E!veryone near here, HELP! These ruffians are trying to steal my virtue!

Compel others in the area to save us

Sure! I don't think there are lots of people around we were the last to leave

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

A!

Every other option means we're on the run from the Inquisition forever. This is the only one that even has a chance of us being able to visit civilization without peril for the rest of our life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

A for sure - let's not get on a government hit list this early. Let's figure some other route out.