Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Milo and POTUS posted:

Empire was the first of the unnecessary sequels hot take

blistering hot, but i approve

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Major Derlin: "The Hutts on Tattoine.....drank steaming hot pots of blue milk on the hottest days of the year to balance out their inside and outside temperatures. See, conversely drinking an ice cold drink on Hoth actually results in a more comfortable body temperature.

Leia: " Then why do you drink ice cold Jaffa cider on a hot day?"

Major Derlin: "What else are you going to do with it?"

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
On that note, here's Kirshner directing Cliff while Carrie Fisher deals with her arch-nemesis, the random on-set pole! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccrlv1iZ9cA

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Hmm, unfinished black-and-white ESB footage with placeholder animation plays like some kind of trippy 70s art film: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbGc6-WA8Mw

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

David Prowse apparently would comedically flub his line as "Hemorrhoids do not concern me, Admiral!" Also, man, that is a noisy-rear end chair. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofxlYE9fqIQ

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

On that note, here's Kirshner directing Cliff while Carrie Fisher deals with her arch-nemesis, the random on-set pole! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccrlv1iZ9cA

nice

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

It's taken for granted these days that Empire is a film "without an ending", but that's only true for the portion centered on Luke. There's an entire other half of the film that indeed comes to a full resolution, to the point where if you really wanted you could call it something like "The Triumph of Han Solo."

You know, I feel like I've finally figured this movie out and it's actually pretty simple. Turns out even the Luke half of the movie has a fully-formed arc to it, and together with both halves form a (very Star Trek-ish) theme of these people are a family and they belong together.

Luke is caught in an informal custody battle of sorts: his blacksheep father, Darth Vader, suddenly wants back in the picture now that Luke's become a bigshot. (Darth Vader is coded as an addict and "the Dark Side" is his vice - "Vader was seduced by the bottle", etc.)

Luke rejects his father's overtures, as he'd rather die than tag along with his old man on a bender choking whores and stickin' it to the emporer the man on a midlife crisis.

On the other side, Obi-Wan, Luke's other father (or perhaps mother figure; in either case, Ben/Vader's apprenticeship is a proxy for a lovers' relationship) has arranged for Luke to be looked after by Yoda, a grandfatherly figure from 'the old country'. Yoda is wise and well-meaning but has an authoritarian parenting style based on obedience that doesn't totally jive with Luke's western sensibilities.

Luke ends up rejecting this notion as well as he leaves to help his friends in peril. Though Luke promises to return, there's this amazing shot of Yoda's heart breaking as he understands he will not be the center of Luke's world the way he understands a parent would be.

Because in the end, Luke knows who exactly his family is, and has endeavoured to make it whole again. So in conclusion, anyone who still talks about this movie being "unresolved" or "not having an ending" is full of poo poo.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
I gotta be honest, I had to scroll up to see if that was an SMG post.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Really? It's not often I get Sarah Michelle Gellar. People usually think I'm Neve Campbell.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Just bumpin' this thread because if you're willing to risk your life over it The Empire Strikes Back is being re-released in theaters next weekend:

https://twitter.com/starwars/status/1306994972135026689

Mind you, Empire has already claimed the top spot at the box office earlier this summer on both sides of the Atlantic just from random theaters playing it on their own:

‘Empire Strikes Back’ Leads At The Weekend Box Office With $644K, 23 Years After Sequel’s Special Edition

‘Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back’ tops UK & Ireland box office 40 years after release

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
My 2 gay Jedi dads

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Colonel Cancer posted:

My 2 gay Jedi dads

canonically i think sith make more sense tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Waltzing Along posted:

Totally agree. First movie was perfect. No need for any others.
the force was vague weak and stupid in the first movie. and darth vader isnt super well defined either. empire actually made its preceding movie better