Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Anyone play Barotrauma? I was told it's kind of like SS13 in a submarine and that sounds hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Anyone play Barotrauma? I was told it's kind of like SS13 in a submarine and that sounds hilarious.

Haven't played it but it looks hilarious, and this review is pretty :discourse:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Barotrauma just went on sale for $13.49.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/602960/Barotrauma/

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
anyone mentioned Deep Star Six yet? loved that lovely movie. used to watch it on late night move channels. the depressurization scene scared the poo poo out of me as a kid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pouTM3jqZCM

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Blindsided Sally posted:

anyone mentioned Deep Star Six yet? loved that lovely movie. used to watch it on late night move channels. the depressurization scene scared the poo poo out of me as a kid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pouTM3jqZCM

Ooooh, an entry into the genre of late 80s-early 90s Abyssploitation, when James Cameron was working on The Abyss and everyone assumed it would be "like Aliens but underwater" and were rushing to make their own cheap knockoff underwater monster action movies to ride the wave of popularity.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Asterite34 posted:

Ooooh, an entry into the genre of late 80s-early 90s Abyssploitation, when James Cameron was working on The Abyss and everyone assumed it would be "like Aliens but underwater" and were rushing to make their own cheap knockoff underwater monster action movies to ride the wave of popularity.

Yes, and I dearly love all of those I've seen:

Deep Star Six
Leviathan
The Rift

I still need to get around to watching Lords of the Deep to collect the full set, I think.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

A suggestion, gentlemen (or however you self-identify):

Screencap these movies for the thread

So apparently the "breathing liquid" thing like they do to the rat at the start of The Abyss is real; and when you do it apparently the first thing that happens is that you exhale a film of gunk formerly sitting on your lungs

My dreams of a chain of health spas was dashed, however. Apparently this is only used on people with breathing problems in induced comas. That's because doing it to someone while awake would be incredibly traumatic, as it's like being eternally waterboarded

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Nebakenezzer posted:

i'll get some pics and video links tonight

maaaaaaaaan, this has been on my "to watch" list for decades. i kept meaning to rent the VHS of it at my old Blockbuster back in the day

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Nebakenezzer posted:

Apparently this is only used on people with breathing problems in induced comas. That's because doing it to someone while awake would be incredibly traumatic, as it's like being eternally waterboarded

Well that's horrifying.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Asterite34 posted:

the genre of late 80s-early 90s Abyssploitation

Obviously not quite riding the same pre-Abyss wave, but 2020 saw a fitting entry to the genre with Underwater.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCFWEzIVILc

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 03:23 on May 24, 2021

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Alehkhs posted:

Obviously not quite riding the same pre-Abyss wave, but 2020 saw a fitting entry to the genre with Underwater.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCFWEzIVILc

This triggers me. First because I want to know if it is a remake of Underwater! (1955), and second because goddamnit, if you are on the bottom of the sea, poo poo does not "leak". A pinhole leak causes an implosion so fast your brain wouldn't even register what's happening. And third, so something called the Abyssal plain isn't scary enough, you need *mermen* snatching people?

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Nebakenezzer posted:

A suggestion, gentlemen (or however you self-identify):

So apparently the "breathing liquid" thing like they do to the rat at the start of The Abyss is real; and when you do it apparently the first thing that happens is that you exhale a film of gunk formerly sitting on your lungs

My dreams of a chain of health spas was dashed, however. Apparently this is only used on people with breathing problems in induced comas. That's because doing it to someone while awake would be incredibly traumatic, as it's like being eternally waterboarded

I understand the rat in The Abyss was put in real liquid breathing medium, so what you see on film is actually a rat breathing liquid. Needless to say this was not a popular decision with the SPCA. Apparently with people there's an issue where it takes too much effort to move the liquid through your lungs compared to air, so you would need to be intubated with a pump to get it moving in and out well enough to work. So probably another reason it won't be terribly popular with conscious moving people.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Nebakenezzer posted:

This triggers me. First because I want to know if it is a remake of Underwater! (1955), and second because goddamnit, if you are on the bottom of the sea, poo poo does not "leak". A pinhole leak causes an implosion so fast your brain wouldn't even register what's happening. And third, so something called the Abyssal plain isn't scary enough, you need *mermen* snatching people?

It is not a remake of Underwater!

It is secretly a Chtulhu Mythos story

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Polaron posted:

It is not a remake of Underwater!

It is secretly a Chtulhu Mythos story

Oh, so you mean it was inspired by and hits the same themes as...?

Oh. No. Straight up literally a suprise Cthulhu movie

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

MadDogMike posted:

I understand the rat in The Abyss was put in real liquid breathing medium, so what you see on film is actually a rat breathing liquid. Needless to say this was not a popular decision with the SPCA. Apparently with people there's an issue where it takes too much effort to move the liquid through your lungs compared to air, so you would need to be intubated with a pump to get it moving in and out well enough to work. So probably another reason it won't be terribly popular with conscious moving people.

And as we've all found out over the last year-ish, they have to put you under just for normal breathing machines. Imagine how much worse it must be for a machine pumping a liquid instead?

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

MikeJF posted:

Oh, so you mean it was inspired by and hits the same themes as...?

Oh. No. Straight up literally a suprise Cthulhu movie

Yeah. I'm not convinced by the quality of the final film but it was ballsy that they even tried it.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Arise

What's dumber than scifi? Things Cold War defense companies briefly considered building!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDLOXv3yN3A

A video on Convair's manned nuclear ramjet submarine aircraft...thing.

Also: Convair looked at building a flying submarine elsewhere, so I guess for real hypothetical projects, there's at least one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convair_Submersible_Seaplane

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

MadDogMike posted:

There have been times, though, when I had pneumonia, that it sounded amazing

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Kesper North posted:

There have been times, though, when I had pneumonia, that it sounded amazing

It certainly wouldn't surprise me if they're still researching those kinds of medical applications (hell, somebody could probably market it to the Covid nut crowd as is and make a fortune). It just probably won't work for ridiculous depth diving suits though.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

MadDogMike posted:

It certainly wouldn't surprise me if they're still researching those kinds of medical applications (hell, somebody could probably market it to the Covid nut crowd as is and make a fortune). It just probably won't work for ridiculous depth diving suits though.

February 2020:

"Total liquid ventilation (TLV) of the lungs could provide radically new benefits in critically ill patients requiring lung lavage or ultra-fast cooling after cardiac arrest. It consists in an initial filling of the lungs with perfluorocarbons and subsequent tidal ventilation using a dedicated liquid ventilator. Here, we propose a new paradigm for a lung-conservative TLV using pulmonary volumes of perfluorocarbons below functional residual capacity (FRC)."

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2352396419305481

You could probably fit it into SF as necessary for transition to cryosleep, with the "ultra-fast cooling" thing.

While I was searching for that I also came across a paper where someone treated heatstroke in sheep with it.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Please remind me to draw more often.
Soiled Meat

Groke posted:

Gotta mention Peter Watts' Rifters trilogy. Cybernetically modified workers on deep sea-floor stations. Shiny happy stories they are not.

Also, Demon-6 by David Mace.

Minor correction, the title is Demon-4, and thanks for the tip I'm currently reading a copy I borrow via archive.org and it's the sort of techno-thriller pulp I love.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys
There's an old anime called Mars Daybreak (Kenran Butou Sai) thats set in the oceans of a terraformed mars and features submarine pirates, undersea mecha battles and a beluga whale in a mech suit (He's also a pirate).

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Scut posted:

Minor correction, the title is Demon-4, and thanks for the tip I'm currently reading a copy I borrow via archive.org and it's the sort of techno-thriller pulp I love.

Yes, sorry.

Also, same author's Fire Lance which also belongs in that specific and very 80s subgenre somewhere between SF and technothriller, the near-future nuclear war story. I was old enough to read a crapload of this type of book back then, just recently read this one and it's certainly one of the very finest of its type. Written in the mid-80s and set sometime around the year 1999 or 2000 or something like that; it's been a few weeks since the big war happened, most of the population of the northern hemisphere is already dead, all the worst projections of nuclear winter have come true and the very biological survival of the human race seems doubtful. It is June but the entire northern hemisphere is cloaked in the stratospheric ashes of burnt cities, farmlands and forests, to the point where it is dark and freezing everywhere. But enough of the strategic deterrent assets on both sides still exist, and remains of the command structures survive, to maintain an informal sort of ceasefire, under the threat of making things even worse.

So the story follows one of the last remaining mobile strategic assets on the US side, a huge futuristic warship built to maximize survival chances and durability, and loaded with an enormous arsenal of strategic nuclear-capable cruise missiles. From a relatively safe position in the South Atlantic, far from land and far from any surviving hostiles, new orders come in that send them into the North, into the darkness and more immediate danger, towards a position from where they could attack again.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I don't understand why this movie ended up not being a hit.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

OK, I'm confused, what movie is that

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
Atlantis: The Lost Empire

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Nebakenezzer posted:

OK, I'm confused, what movie is that

Atlantis: The Lost Empire (2001)

e:fb

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

SlothfulCobra posted:

Because the cool robot lobster was in the movie for like 90 seconds, and then it went back to being a Steampunk rewrite of Stargate, OP

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah because Steampunk Stargate sounds like such a terrible thing.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The movie's kind of a mess despite its incredibly cool aesthetics.

Between that and Treasure Planet, I feel like Disney doesn't really know how how to do nautical sci-fi stuff very well. ...which would explain a shitload about their Star Wars, actually.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
It's a good thing the Atlanteans are generally incurious about the world around them, otherwise they wouldn't have needed a white nerd to come show them how to use their own technology.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's a good thing the Atlanteans are generally incurious about the world around them, otherwise they wouldn't have needed a white nerd to come show them how to use their own technology.

At least in Stargate they had the excuse that their alien god-king outlawed literacy on pain of death. The Atlanteans just sorta... forgot. Not even over the course of generations, they're all several thousand years old, most of them were THERE when their civilization fell. It's literally like forgetting how to ride a bike.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

SlothfulCobra posted:

"Fewer Songs, More Explosions"

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
I think Atlantis, despite its problems, is what really sold me on nautical scifi. It's just so cool.

I'm gonna start posting screencaps from my Fallen London game if that's okay. It'll be a few weeks before that bc I have grad school stuff but I just wanted to give a heads up so this thread doesn't die.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The Atlantis parts of Aquaman with the whole Abyss-meets-Blade-Runner aesthetic and the water-based technology was real freakin' cool, as was the giant war scene at the end with the troops riding giant sea creatures interrupted by Aquaman on a kaiju.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

A gem from my youth:

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

^ hell yeah

Don't sleep on either of these post-WWIII novels; well-written, plausible, clear-eyed, and terrifying in their own ways. Plus top tier cover art from Chris Foss and John Berkey.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Polikarpov posted:

There's an old anime called Mars Daybreak (Kenran Butou Sai) thats set in the oceans of a terraformed mars and features submarine pirates, undersea mecha battles and a beluga whale in a mech suit (He's also a pirate).

Belugas in space!

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Prolonged Panorama posted:

^ hell yeah

Don't sleep on either of these post-WWIII novels; well-written, plausible, clear-eyed, and terrifying in their own ways. Plus top tier cover art from Chris Foss and John Berkey.

Feel pretty sure we've mentioned them already, but once more can't hurt. Good poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Prolonged Panorama posted:

^ hell yeah

i feel like that working mat is the perfect background for those books (i've never read them, i'm just going by the covers)