Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

There have been some pretty cool SF books, movies, and tv shows set in marine environments, and I wish there were more. Let's post about sci fi set under the sea!

one of my favorite short stories is Roger Zelazny's The Doors of His Face, The Lamps of His Mouth, which is about a dude trying to catch a sea monster on Venus. It's good af and in typical Zelazny fashion really well written. It also has one of the most esoteric final lines of any story I've read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

If we're talking early stuff I'd be remiss not to mention MS Found in a Bottle by Poe, its a sort of nautical dark fantasy I guess you could say. Descent Into the Maelstrom is also really good but there's not much fantastical about it iirc.

Darth Brooks posted:

When I was a little kid one of the networks had the movie on once a year. I got to stay up until the squid fight. I never knew until later that the movie ends just after that or that Nemo dies. The Nautilus was steampunk before steampunk was a thing. I still love the design of that ship and still love that movie.

idk if you've ever seen The Mysterious Island but track it down if you haven't, its one of my favorite adventure movies, has effects by ray harryhausen and is a direct sequel to 20,000 leagues.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Nebakenezzer posted:

Supreme Commander chat: that aircraft carrier/submarine the blue guys had still surfaces in the cold war thread sometimes.

Can post about design studies/real world examples of aircraft carrier submarines upon request

i'd be interested in this, the only one im familiar with is the I-400