Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

(the cool ones)

And I may or may not have written a story where all of those factions are on this planet, under the surface.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I remember an Archie comic where all the characters lived in some kind of future society where everybody now lived underwater after the surface got too polluted. One of them finds an old frisbee, and they remark at how lovely life must have been when people just had plastics instead of "self healing" materials. Towards the end, a couple of them decide to go up to the surface to peak at the past world, and they discover that over time all the pollution went away and nature reclaimed the surface world, and I think they decide to keep quiet about it so humanity doesn't ruin the world a second time.

I never saw anything else that connected with that one comic, but I kind of assume that Jabberjaw had the same background. Not that I remember anything about Jabberjaw aside from that one song.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Oh, I remember a short-lived little manga called Aqua Knight.

It was a weird mix of sci-fi and fantasy. The titular knights wear a cross between a deep sea diving suit and a mech suit, but the story opens with the main character washing up on an island, meeting Death, who gives her a magic knife, and then having to chase after a bipolar mad scientist with a submarine who kidnaps some magical thing along with a young boy.

It was a fairly short run, and the creator went on to make Battle Angel Alita.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Atlantis: The Lost Empire basically seems like it was made to sell toys that never got made. Maybe just as well mind, I don't think the super baroque aesthetic would translate well to mass-produced plastic.

Well, there were toys. Not sure if they sold well.

Most of the plot of the movie was basically the plot of the movie Stargate, but in a more fun setting and at the end the final bad guy is the military industrial complex. Atlantis's attempt at expanding the movie into a television series didn't go too well though.

It was also in the middle of Disney's halcyon period when they were still willing to develop more unique styles, before they killed off theatrical 2D animation.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

One of the people who popularized the idea of how dolphins are very intelligent creatures was John C. Lily. He did a lot of research on Dolphins and how they communicated that peaked with a big experiment to try to teach a dolphin to speak english. Most people who report about the experiment don't focus on the guy in charge of the experiment and instead prefer to focus on the woman who they had doing the teaching and who ended up having to jack off the dolphin to keep it from getting aggressive.

What makes him particularly sci-fi related though (aside from inspiring a lot of future sci-fi works involving dolphins) is the fact that towards the end of his career, he started having a lot of weird ideas about aliens and how there was something called the Cosmic Coincidence Control Center that we needed to make contact with. This is probably due to the fact that the other major facet of his career was working with altered states of consciousness. He invented the sensory deprivation tank, but he did a whole lot of experimentation with LSD, and later ketamine. Enough to go pretty crazy.

He also gave LSD to dolphins, and they died. Didn't come back up for air while they were underwater, so either they wanted to commit suicide or they were just confused by how they were tripping balls.

It was an interesting episode of the Dollop.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I've been playing through Subnautica and slowly working through my deepest fears about the depths of the oceans.

Then after another thread convinced me to watch through Outlaw Star, I reached an episode where they were trying to loot an old wreck buried in the ocean and stuck in a lower gaseous layer, only to be attacked by a bunch of giant demon lobsters. An old pirate guy took a minisub to kill the largest lobster with his own hands in kind of a white whale situation.

That's gonna be stuck in my head the next time I play.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I was never really sure what Bionicle counted as. The initial premise of like robot people sounds sci-fi, but then when it started out it seemed like a weirdly spiritual thing with the Toa on a mission to save their god that had been sent into a deep sleep. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-A-NivINvLM It still had a really neat flavor (that they actually got sued for some of the cultural appropriation).

It really bounced back and forth from there, the next enemies were more explicitly automatons, people got chosen for some mystical destinies, there was a secret underground city where the matoran had once lived with heavier industry, it was confusing. I checked in every so often on wikis to figure out what was going on, but the last time I really cared at all was when they had the Barraki arc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNRkzEp36KI

Basically they had been chasing after the Mask of Life for a while, and somebody tossed it into the ocean, where apparently there was a secret ancient underwater prison for warlords from some bygone era broke out at some point and mutated into different varieties of fishmen and got crossbows to shoot parasitic eels at people. There was also a long lost village that slid into the ocean long ago that managed to survive off plants that produced pockets of air. Neat concepts. I still checked out again before the heroes to fight the Barraki came along. Guess I thought fishmen were cooler than divers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aV_qPzTfnU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I don't understand why this movie ended up not being a hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

https://twitter.com/domykc/status/1341192522849112070