Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I love how basically the two things which have apparently survived the complete destruction of human society intact are a little heads up display made of super advanced tech...and the standardised colour coding for the rings on archery targets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Scalding Coffee posted:

Do they say where things are taking place or is it a fantasy planet?

I'm not sure it's possible to answer this without spoilers. Currently no direct location information has been provided. However, you might be able to infer a little from the audio logs in the ruin in the first episode.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Sylphosaurus posted:

Based on what we´ve seen of most of the Matriarchs and the punishments doled out by them I think we can all say that they can take a long walk on a short pier.

I think you can tell from the naming ceremony at least that one of them seems to be alright, or at least, a bit better than the others.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I do kind of wonder, if Aloy was entrusted to Rost at birth, where did her milk come from?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Thanks for this.

I've never been a fan of plot walls in open world games, but given that we're still in Tutorial World, I can forgive them.

I just wanna see robot dinosaurs!

Yeah, I'd say once you're out of the game's prologue there's actually no more plot walls than you'd really expect in your average open world game. There's certainly quests where you're unable to leave a defined area because it's Plot Time, and there's areas which you can't access without an appropriate "key", but as a general rule if you can see a place in the game, or if it's on the map you can probably go there. There's even some changed monologue from Aloy if you go to some places which are plot-important before you know they're plot-important.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

achtungnight posted:

And, seriously, has nobody ever tried to open that special door before Aloy? You gotta admire Teersa thinking up an explanation for it not opening that makes sense with Nora religion, though. I also like her moral stance- "if things don't make sense to me, it must be beyond my understanding and that's ok".

I assume people have tried to open the door (or at least, walked up to it since they don't seem to realise it's a door per se), and it either doesn't speak or says something else to people who aren't a 99.99% match for someone in its corrupted database.

Agreed on Teersa, indeed I really like how all the religious stuff operates in the game, you can absolutely see how a large door with a feminine voice inside the mountain where a tribe believes they originate from would become a mother goddess. You can also infer why non-matriarchs aren't allowed in here--there's a clear contradiction between "all ruins are evil" and "this particular ruin we came out of is holy", but only the matriarchs need to carry that cognitive dissonance.

Aloy's scepticism is very convenient for us as the player especially as we learn more about the world, but from the perspective of the characters in the story, most of their religious/spiritual explanations make sense, which gives the various religions we see an air of authenticity that many other fictional religions in video games lack.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

An on another topic, are there are any games where the Protag's parental figure doesn't die?

Besides like, Pokemon

Mass Effect 1 if you pick the Spacer origin (mum calls you on the space phone) and Stardew Valley (you get letters from your parents), but like Pokemon that might fall into the bracket of "not dead because barely present". Celeste would also be in that category. If you allow games in the "save your parent" bracket, Dishonored 2 as Emily, and Crypt of the Necrodancer? The only game I can think of where your parental figure is definitely not dead, is a significant character in the story as it progresses but is not either in distress or the actual villain would be your father in Long Live the Queen...whose story opens immediately after your mother's funeral.

I guess, depending on how you interpret the story of the game, Portal 2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
The clothing's another thing I really like about the setting, too often in media designers assume that sewing with anything finer than huge leather straps is strictly an early modern invention, rather than being one of humanity's oldest technologies. Most people in the game have clothing that looks skilfully made, rather than everyone running around in some "primitive" ill-fitting rags or cutting about in grimy pre-war suits or whatever.