Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

SirSamVimes posted:

This game legitimately has one of the best openings in video game history imo.

I disagree a bit. It works in a rough and ready fashion, but it's going for this continuous cinematic thing like God of War, but then it kind of grinds to a halt as soon as a character speaks to themselves and says things no person in the milieu would. Like Rost speaking to the baby, Aloy talking to herself in the metal world, etc. It's not reprehensible or anything, but it feels clunky that they'd choose the "character who already knows this says it aloud" method. Structurally it appears to be a relatively straightforward coming of age story (have no exposure to this game's plot/themes) and it does hit the marks it needs to hit. Visually though, some great stuff. And of course I'm going to watch it all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I'm sorry if I sound a broken record, but I wish the game had more faith in its world building and visual storytelling without Aloy having to sub rosa narrate everything. Like you're knocked out and lose all your stuff. A quest indicator is on screen saying "get your stuff". Aloy then says "I need to find my stuff" (simplified for hyperbole). Like, we didn't need the narration. It's like the opposite of show don't tell, it's show AND tell.

That said though, man some neat poo poo. I mentioned the strong visual storytelling and that Resh scene on the wall introducing the threat is efficient and effective. I also quite like Teb, his voice actor has this terrifying sincerity that you don't really know the source of.

You guys mentioned subverting YA expectations (win the proving, become the best girl, show up everyone in the village, etc) but to me that almost seems accidental when adhering to a video game trope: the hero's village is destroyed and/or they have to leave because of disaster.