Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
You forgot to mention that Horizon Zero Dawn has a planned PC port.

Summer 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

D'oh I did not read that part :smith:

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
Am I allowed to make bold predictions? I am unsure if that counts as spoilers if I am going into this LP blind, but there is quite a bit of foreshadowing.

edit: Converted a sentence into a question

Flair fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jun 2, 2020

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
Bold Predictions about the story:

* War happened between humans in an advanced, futuristic time on Earth where they had created autonomous war machines. In the catastrophe of war, knowledge of mental health and how to stop the machines were lost, and the surviving humans made a pact of keeping the history sealed away so as to prevent the utilization of the war machines. The matriarchs learn and past on the secrets of history.
* The side quests are building up Aloy as an articulate, sociable character who is more capable than the other braves despite being an outcast. She will be remembered as the bravest brave of all time; cave paintings, legends told around the campfire, or something like that will perpetuate for years to come.
* Aloy is either a designer baby/clone who has no mother, or she is the child of mother who has done deeds as unforgiving as Rost's supposed deeds.
* Rost took the fall for someone else, or he came across a very, very secret metal ruin that he could not make sense of. As a result, he is an outcast for life.
* Rost dies.

Alright, I will keep tally of how right/wrong I am. I am always down for a nuance story that surprises me.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

OutofSight posted:

Can we even call that a prediction? Aloy is the protagonist of the game and appears prominently on the box cover. Protagonists in fiction rarely come in mediocre.

Like I said, I am always down for nuance stories that surprise. So far, her success has been supported by her earpiece, and she certainly will acquire more technology that builds her legend. But it would be a bit nuance to have a section of the game force you to play without your technological toys to see that Aloy is mediocre without them.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
The commentary has been restored to the videos. Praise All-Mother!

Obviously and ominously, someone is controlling or enhancing the machines; if an oblivious child can learn to use a piece of the technology on her own, certainly various adults can arm themselves with them.

Also, apparently, Rost never told Aloy about courtship or whatnot.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Epinephrine posted:

The boys can't talk to you if you're an outcast.

That has not stopped any males from talking to her before she entered the village. Besides, regardless of whether male, female, or something else was going to hit on her, Rost believed that Aloy would be accepted by and be integrated into society, yet Rost did not tell her to look out for any "super seducers".

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Flair posted:

* War happened between humans in an advanced, futuristic time on Earth where they had created autonomous war machines. In the catastrophe of war, knowledge of mental health and how to stop the machines were lost, and the surviving humans made a pact of keeping the history sealed away so as to prevent the utilization of the war machines. The matriarchs learn and past on the secrets of history.
* The side quests are building up Aloy as an articulate, sociable character who is more capable than the other braves despite being an outcast. She will be remembered as the bravest brave of all time; cave paintings, legends told around the campfire, or something like that will perpetuate for years to come.
* Aloy is either a designer baby/clone who has no mother, or she is the child of mother who has done deeds as unforgiving as Rost's supposed deeds.
* Rost took the fall for someone else, or he came across a very, very secret metal ruin that he could not make sense of. As a result, he is an outcast for life.
* Rost dies.

Alright, I will keep tally of how right/wrong I am. I am always down for a nuance story that surprises me.

+1 on that prediction, though the story can always have Rost survive that explosion. Though if Rost comes back as a cyborg, I am still counting that as Rost has died.

Sylphosaurus posted:

I have to admit that having the named characters being murked this early in the story really threw me for a loop there when I started playing this game. You don´t expect developers to to go through the trouble of giving NPC´s names, unique appearance and so many spoken lines before just murdering them. Bravo, I say.

Having named characters die this early is not really a subversion. They were just properly introduced with detailed yet generic character models — Aloy, Rost, Erend, Olin, and Irid (though I suspect Irid's model is a generic sun priest character model) are the only ones who look distinctive in that other characters have shared characters models with a slight difference in reskin/retexture — and Rost had some red flags about his end. I am still waiting to actually be surprised.

I do like the contrasting government system introduceds. On one hand, you can live in an oligarchy of matriarchs who are given power based on their fertility, and on the other, you can live under a divine rights of kings monarchy — a motif of real-life history. Though based on both accounts, their post-post apocalyptic societies have not been striving for too long.

At this point, it should be pretty clear to Aloy that the technology of the ruins have more to give than just a better UI/UX living experience.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
Resh and Lansra aren't wholly wrong in implying that recent horrific events are because of Aloy's presence. Based on the recordings, she is the target of the assault, and everyone else was collateral damage. Though, if that was the point, the unknown killer did not do his job properly and only left her breathless in the snow with a slowly ticking bomb.

Flair posted:

* Rost dies.

I am just going to +1 on that prediction and assume that Aloy is a clone of that unknown woman. Also, sounds like the machine has some biometric security connected to the unknown woman's genes and to whoever Ted is. Perhaps only her and Ted's genes can control the machines.

achtungnight posted:

Sorry to correct you, SP, but I think you need to buy the Mounted Pickup Skill (only available once the game's DLC came out and not in the original game) to pick up stuff while mounted. That and having to constantly press X to move quickly while riding kept me off horseback much of the game. :(

I hope that will be included in the GLORIOUS PC port.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

kw0134 posted:

The argument that it's deliberately subverting YA expectations is because if we just wanted to do the "flatten village" opener, they could have easily cut Bast/Vala entirely.

"Subverting YA expectations" only applies if you interpret Horizon Zero Dawn as whose narrative lies within the young adult genre, but I cannot see how you can interpret Aloy and the world's story as a young adult story. Aloy has effectively skipped puberty, she has no interest or teenage-awkwardness in romance, and despite her isolation for 18 years, she is extraordinarily affable and charismatic. The themes and conflicts in the narrative are not connected to Aloy's age or immaturity.

Having Bast/Vala die is a common trope. Their deaths serve two functions. First, primarily, as Aloy's rivals who nearly beat her, having so easily died to a minigun shows how powerful this weapon is especially in a post-post apocalyptic world where the main weapons of choice are bows and arrows. And secondly, they serve as some emotional weight to an unnamed mass of Aloy's competitors. From Aloy's and your perspective, would you really care if the Nora village actually die? Maybe if Teb died, maybe if Teersa died, and Rost was not part of the village. You may not even care about Bast and Vala; I know I don't, but having named faces for the Proving massacre give more weight than whomever died in the War Party ambush. Also, Vala's death allows you and Aloy to develop some ground to understand Sona to whom you have not been properly introduced.

edit: grammar and clarity

Flair fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jun 13, 2020

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

kw0134 posted:

The basic problem is that they've been introduced so quickly and went away so quickly that we don't get any idea of their qualities as a brave.

I agree their introduction and prompt conclusion were very weak narratives. The story could have done something else to make for a nuance story. That being said, we know, based on the close finish in the proving, that Vala and Bast are almost as capable as her which is saying a little more about them than her since Vala and Bast do not use a focus. And thanks to Vala and Bast, a few of the other newly appointed braves manage to escape before the minigun shows up.

kw0134 posted:

Bast dying with all his bravado stripped was interesting, but otherwise the minigun...kind of speaks for itself! It's pretty obvious that if your best weapon is a bow, then something that churns out a 100RPM is pretty drat devastating! You're running with your crew, a good dozen strong, and they just get mowed down. I think we can quibble over the effectiveness of introducing characters and then immediately killing them, but for sheer "wtf just happened" it stands on its own.

We know what a minigun is capable of, but Aloy and the others do not know. Vala dies from using a wooden statue as cover; the cover normally stops arrows, but bullets just go through. Aloy gets to see that. And in this interactive medium, Aloy herself may get to use the gun herself to see how much quickly she can kill with it than with arrows and sticks.

Anyway, I do like how Bast's bravado is peeled away, and thus we get to see that he is a reliable teammate who cares about the people around him. He actually saves Aloy from the minigun fire, and he is upset when Vala dies.

kw0134 posted:

As far as whether it's specifically a YA game, no, but it's clearly a bildungsroman which for obvious reasons takes a lot of the same ideas. This is not to say this is for a juvenile audience, but there's a lot of overlap involved.

I know about bildungsromans, and I know that bildungsroman narratives can be written outside of the YA genre with YA characters such as "It" by Stephen King. Nevertheless, I disagree that this story is a bildungsroman. The narrative is instead following the hero's journey. Aloy is venturing outside, probably going to stop a second machine war as she learns to command them, and then come back to the Nora as a legendary hero. Now, there are no reasons why a given narrative cannot be both, but I do not see any major flaws in Aloy's moral or psychological character that can be attributed to her age or immaturity. She risks her own safety to help those in need, she can talk to others, etc.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Dash Rendar posted:

bildungsromans and hero's journeys are not entirely mutually exclusive.

Yes, I agree. Like I said, "there are no reasons why a given narrative cannot be both". An excellent example would be the Persona series.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
Not much nuance. It is all cliche for now. In the next episode, Aloy will prove how strong and resourceful she is, and this will add more to her reputation and legend. It so cliche that — random thought — I predict the other Nora child outcast is the one who killed Rost, and now that I have thought about it, I hope I am so wrong on that point. It would be so cliche. If that child outcast were to live, it could be more nuance if Nil turned out to be that outcast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

SubponticatePoster posted:

When I recorded this I was trying to stealth the whole thing (which I've done before) but the AI wasn't having any of it.

Are you sure the complete stealth approach is intended by the developers? I just looked up other let's plays and walkthroughs, and at that part, the AI start raining arrows from the sky regardless if Aloy was stealthy or not.