Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will you vote for in 2020?
This poll is closed.
Biden 425 18.06%
Trump 105 4.46%
whoever the Green Party runs 307 13.05%
GOOGLE RON PAUL 151 6.42%
Bernie Sanders 346 14.70%
Stalin 246 10.45%
Satan 300 12.75%
Nobody 202 8.58%
Jess Scarane 110 4.67%
mystery man Brian Carroll of the American Solidarity Party 61 2.59%
Dick Nixon 100 4.25%
Total: 2089 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
And to be very clear:

On march 15, the cdc said that gatherings of more than 50 people should be avoided. Bernie said

quote:

I would hope the governors listen to the public health experts, and they’re saying … we don’t want gatherings of 50 or more people. And when I think about some of the elderly people sitting behind the desks, registering people and all that, does that make a lot of sense? I’m not sure that it does.

So based on that, Chris Cuomo asked Symone Sanders

quote:

CDC says no groupings bigger than 50, that’s like every polling station except in very small counties. The idea of delaying primaries, Senator Sanders seemed comfortable with that; we should listen to what the CDC says. We should delay the primaries if we have to. What are your concerns?

To which Symone replied

quote:

Our democracy is extremely important. Even in times of strife in this country, we have to do our duty. So the CDC and folks have said it’s safe out there for Tuesday. So I don’t know what Senator Sanders was talking about…. So I encourage people to get out there and vote on Tuesday.

This high school debate team strategy of "well, technically I'm only discussing Wisconsin" is very tiring and silly. People on the Biden campaign were lying on national TV on march 15. The rest is trying to win on technicalities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

I agree with Dante, that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality.

Main Paineframe posted:

Meanwhile, GOP campaign tactics have descended into a fantasy world.
https://mobile.twitter.com/SenTedCruz/status/1268990560360071169

I realize this is probably about whatever conspiracy he imagines "Obamagate" to be, but I'm not clicking Breitbart to check and if he's measuring the whole of the Obiden-bama admin v. the Nixon admin I don't know that it's that clear cut.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Donald Trump really sucks
Joe Biden sucks a little less
I live in Texas
My vote couldn't care less

Not looking forward to Cotton 2024

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Eminai posted:

I realize this is probably about whatever conspiracy he imagines "Obamagate" to be, but I'm not clicking Breitbart to check and if he's measuring the whole of the Obiden-bama admin v. the Nixon admin I don't know that it's that clear cut.

He's talking about the investigation of Flynn.

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I live in Texas

just write in Bernie and feel comfortable morally

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I live in Texas

If polls keep going the way they are that might not be true.

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

I agree with Dante, that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality.

evilweasel posted:

lmao this is bullshit, even if you're reading "care" as "matter"

e; an explanation to hopefully save this thread from another ew post - if biden's close to winning tx, then he's already got 270+ from states that are easier to win and the only question becomes if he wins by 100 evs or 160

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

evilweasel posted:

as a Texan lmfao if you think Biden will win Texas

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Eminai posted:

lmao this is bullshit, even if you're reading "care" as "matter"

e; an explanation to hopefully save this thread from another ew post - if biden's close to winning tx, then he's already got 270+ from states that are easier to win and the only question becomes if he wins by 100 evs or 160

win a state government in 2020 and you control the redistricting

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

win a state government in 2020 and you control the redistricting

Good thing voting Not Biden doesn’t mean you can’t vote for state level Democrats!

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

What is Biden's path to victory in Texas given that his campaign doesn't consider Latino outreach worth the time?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

PsychedelicWarlord posted:

What is Biden's path to victory in Texas given that his campaign doesn't consider Latino outreach worth the time?

that seems like a loaded question, why don't you walk us through the obvious assumption baked in there? What behaviors and policies boil down to Latino outreach evidently being perceived as not being "worth their time"?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Did Biden or the Biden Campaign make a statement saying they don't consider Latinx outreach to be worth the time?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Mind_Taker posted:

Good thing voting Not Biden doesn’t mean you can’t vote for state level Democrats!

yeah, but I'm just pointing out that your vote matters in a Democratic wave in a redistricting year because you could toss gerrymandered districts like this and their idiot congressmen to the curb

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Probably an election where the national vote was roughly 53-42

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

as a Texan lmfao if you think Biden will win Texas

funny things happen in a landslide like winning indiana

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Rigel posted:

Probably an election where the national vote was roughly 53-42

yeah it’s not a specific path to victory it’s just something where running up the score might matter. but state level stuff has been moving in Texas (listening to complaints from Houston lawyers about all the elected judges in Houston getting turfed out in 2018 and replaced with democrats was hilarious)

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

evilweasel posted:

funny things happen in a landslide like winning indiana

Obama lost Texas by double digits, Hillary lost by something like 8 or 9 points. Texas is not going blue. Trump could publicly wipe his rear end with the Texas flag and he'd still win the state by 3-5 points.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Obama lost Texas by double digits, Hillary lost by something like 8 or 9 points. Texas is not going blue. Trump could publicly wipe his rear end with the Texas flag and he'd still win the state by 3-5 points.

People always forget about single issue pro-life voters when they talk about flipping red states blue. There's a shitload of people who will always vote for the pro-life candidate no matter how much they may hate them for other reasons.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Minnesota and NH flipping to Trump are waaay more likely than Trump winning TX

the margin in 2016 in both states were less than a percentage point between Clinton and Trump

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

poo poo like the above is why I can't take the electoral prognostications of certain parties seriously. If they think TEXAS is gonna turn, how much is their other predictions gonna be worth?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Wicked Them Beats posted:

oh I’m not betting it will happen, but the higher end of the polling right now is right about where you would have Texas and other states that should be out of reach within reach

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

StratGoatCom posted:

poo poo like the above is why I can't take the electoral prognostications of certain parties seriously. If they think TEXAS is gonna turn, how much is their other predictions gonna be worth?

Even more outlandish is the actual scenario where a vote for Biden in Texas matters, which involves Texas turning and being necessary for 270.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Eminai posted:

Even more outlandish is the actual scenario where a vote for Biden in Texas matters, which involves Texas turning and being necessary for 270.

Who has ever, in this thread or on the internet at large, tried to argue that Texas is a necessary win in order for Joe Biden to get to 270 electoral votes?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I do think Texas is a dumb question, and I think it ignores that if things start to look really bad for a party going in, it does drive turn out. There are people who will go out and vote Republican in Texas who often don't if they actually felt the status of the state were in jeopardy.

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

How are u posted:

Who has ever, in this thread or on the internet at large, tried to argue that Texas is a necessary win in order for Joe Biden to get to 270 electoral votes?

evilweasel posted:

feel free to explain wtf this post is trying to say

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

StratGoatCom posted:

Texas will not turn for decades, sorry guys. It is completely wedded to Trumpism.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Eminai posted:

feel free to explain wtf this post is trying to say

My read on that, and it seems very clear to me, is that evilweasel, in response to a poster lamenting that his vote is worthless in Texas, was pointing out that the poster's vote may in fact not be worthless in Texas because polling trends show that Texas may in fact be closer to a toss-up than at any other point in recent history. If Texas is indeed that close to flipping then every (D) vote is incredibly valuable there.

Evilweasel can correct me if I am wrong.

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

How are u posted:

My read on that, and it seems very clear to me, is that evilweasel, in response to a poster lamenting that his vote is worthless in Texas, was pointing out that the poster's vote may in fact not be worthless in Texas because polling trends show that Texas may in fact be closer to a toss-up than at any other point in recent history. If Texas is indeed that close to flipping then every (D) vote is incredibly valuable there.

Texas is only valuable if it determines the election. You don't get extra powers if you win 400 EVs.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Eminai posted:

Texas is only valuable if it determines the election. You don't get extra powers if you win 400 EVs.

...who is arguing this?

Texas flipping (D) in a Presidential election would, it kind of goes without saying, include a hell of a surge in downballot (D) votes, which would, hopefully, grow and strengthen the Democratic Party in Texas and substantially contribute to changing it into a purple state. Increased Democratic governance in Texas would also mean less Republican governance, which would materially benefit millions of people who live under that governance.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
e: wrong thread

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

How are u posted:

...who is arguing this?

Texas flipping (D) in a Presidential election would, it kind of goes without saying, include a hell of a surge in downballot (D) votes, which would, hopefully, grow and strengthen the Democratic Party in Texas and substantially contribute to changing it into a purple state. Increased Democratic governance in Texas would also mean less Republican governance, which would materially benefit millions of people who live under that governance.

honestly at this point I'm just going to start quoting the posts other people have made rebutting the points you're trying to make, since you can't be bothered to read

Mind_Taker posted:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Beto flamed out nationally, but he ran the best state campaign Texas has seen in eons and he still couldn't defeat Ted loving Cruz. Grampa Joe beating Trump is a hard sell

I'll still go out and vote for Cornyn's sacrificial lamb on election day tho

I just wanted to write a bad poem, honestly

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
^^^^^^^^^^^^
e: he may not have won, but he came incredibly close, closer than anybody in a long long time. You Texans are on the cusp of a new era in governance, I hope you stay energized and fight like hell because you're almost there!

Eminai posted:

honestly at this point I'm just going to start quoting the posts other people have made rebutting the points you're trying to make, since you can't be bothered to read

I think we both misunderstand what the other is arguing. I'll just reiterate my point from my understanding of the poster who started the Texas conversation: a (D) vote in Texas is not worthless at all. Let's flip Texas blue!

How are u fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jun 6, 2020

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

How are u posted:

yeah

like obviously Texas isn’t the tipping point state in any scenario ever, but it matters if it’s a toss up both because the bigger the loss is the more devastating it is for the trump wing, but more importantly because it’s a redistributing year and that poo poo could really matter downballot

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes

Shageletic posted:

Minnesota and NH flipping to Trump are waaay more likely than Trump winning TX

the margin in 2016 in both states were less than a percentage point between Clinton and Trump

Yes but Trump is doing way worse than 2016. Unfortunately there is a dearth of polling in Minnesota and NH, but Trump is clearly doing worse in polling atm in Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, Michigan, Florida, Ohio, Arizona than in 2016. Now let's look at the most recent polls in Texas:

Does that look like a competitive state to you? When you couple this polling in with the swing in the total House vote from 2016 to 2018 (57% Republican, 37% Democratic to 50% Republican, 47% Democratic) as well as the close senate race between Cruz and Beto (50.9 to 48.3), as well as additional polling and 2018 election result evidence that Trump and the GOP is bleeding support in suburban areas such as the Dallas and Houston suburbs, that's why ideas like 'Texas is completely wedded to Trumpism' and that a vote in Texas doesn't matter are just at odds with reality.

Given this polling and the importance of winning the state legislature for redistricting, as well as some key House races in districts such as TX 21, 22, 23, 24 it would be political malpractice to not seriously invest in winning the state.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Thanks for digging up the recent polling!

Yeah, man. If there were ever a time for Texas to surprise us all it would be this year. With the first global pandemic in modern history, the largest economic upheaval since the Great Depression, and Trump's personal odiousness... Well if the trends that gave us 2018 keep up then yeah it could very well happen.

Get involved, Texas goons.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Texas will lift off and fly away before it goes blue.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Pick posted:

Texas will lift off and fly away before it goes blue.

In 2020 skepticism is warranted. It'll be purple in a decade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

Condiv posted:

why is biden angling to be endorsed by a racist that let new orleans drown? why does he think that's a good idea? what signal does that send the people protesting the treatment of black people by our nation at the moment?

Because Biden can't remember poo poo that didn't happen in the last week. Unfortunately for a lot of libs with the same problem, probably tens of thousands of whom I marched with on and off from 2003-2008, at least he has an excuse. (clinical dogshit for brains).

I was talking today about how loving eager everyone's favorite Notorious RBG is to be a white upper class Karen whenever the time comes to take a hatchet to the 4th anytime some racist pig's pension is endangered for a little misunderstanding like killing a black guy. The argument was 'Any rear end in a top hat can just look at a case on its merits, the plain text of the constitution, and come to the right decision. But if you've paid all the money for law school and reached that level of the judiciary the expectation is that you're smart, and how do you demonstrate that? By disappearing up your own rear end through eight levels of legal sophistry to declare that to the common slob, up is up and down is down, but according to a minority opinion in Kneebone V Whothefuck, and the use of 'shall' rather than 'will', up is actually down, and then you take a bow like loving Simone Biles just dismounting the balance beam.'

And of course, that's how it's always worked. Used to be enough to learn to read. Then you had to read the classics in the orignial latin/greek. Cursive, elaborate table manners. Now the way the aspirational upper middles separate themselves from the scum is by using their big loving brains and their humanities degrees to well actually, say, Rana Plaza or Government transpaency, or, say the legacy of the guy they hissed and spit at from the couch every night during the Daily Show for eight years. They've matured, you see. He gave Michelle Obama a mint that time, remember?

Can't wait to be 50 and talked down to by the now-20 year old future-ex Anarchist who is screaming 'gently caress trump' this weekend but who will lecture me in 2028 about not taking a simplistic view of things when I get mad at him for pining aloud for the good old normal decorum of 45, compared to this awful cotton fellow. As he buys a new house with his loving investment portfolio.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

PipHelix fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jun 6, 2020