Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Is there a reason that "build transports and get the hell out of Dodge" isn't an option? Because it seems to me like the planet is boned either way, and as I recall, the Antarans mostly use bioweapons, so all the buildings and infrastructure will still be intact. You can just get the transport ships out of the way, let the Antarans poop on things, and then drop the Sakkra back down once the Antarans go away.

If you can bang out a couple of transport ships to save the people, then I will change my vote to that, and if not, I will stand by "sucks to be you guys, shrug emoji." Remember, though, I play these games as a belligerent warmonger because "make rad ships and use them to stomp on the other races that aren't as good at making rad ships" is what I'm in the genre for. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

They say that he who dies with the most Opil wins.

I am winning.

MechaCrash posted:

Is there a reason that "build transports and get the hell out of Dodge" isn't an option? Because it seems to me like the planet is boned either way, and as I recall, the Antarans mostly use bioweapons, so all the buildings and infrastructure will still be intact. You can just get the transport ships out of the way, let the Antarans poop on things, and then drop the Sakkra back down once the Antarans go away.

If you can bang out a couple of transport ships to save the people, then I will change my vote to that, and if not, I will stand by "sucks to be you guys, shrug emoji." Remember, though, I play these games as a belligerent warmonger because "make rad ships and use them to stomp on the other races that aren't as good at making rad ships" is what I'm in the genre for. :v:

I'm not so sure that you can evacuate a colony that way? I mean, I guess I could do a quick test once I get home tomorrow...

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I just looked at this with a random save, and it would appear that the game won't let you build a civil transport for the final little dude of a planet. You could ferry out the rest, I suppose. The joke here is that the planetary shield eats up the bio-bombs pretty efficiently.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

Rappaport posted:

I just looked at this with a random save, and it would appear that the game won't let you build a civil transport for the final little dude of a planet. You could ferry out the rest, I suppose. The joke here is that the planetary shield eats up the bio-bombs pretty efficiently.

Given this information and what I recall of the last Antaran raid that hit a shield, I suspect the shield may well be able to save the colony, and a full evacuation is off the table.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Then adding my vote for the shield.

Vee2003
Jul 12, 2018

"In retrospect, flying into the black hole may have been a tactical error."
+1 for the Shield of Hope!

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
Shield yes

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

We need more data.

Build the shield. Test the Antaran anti-ship/anti-planet offensive capability vis-a-vis number of turns and galaxy tech state. It's a benchmark for whether we should evade, shield, or fight against a new raid.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
OK, I've waited around, and looks like no more votes are coming. I'm tiebreaking the initial contest in favor of the Relentless, and we'll roll out a prototype Circus soon. And we're raising a shield and hoping for the best. I'll proceed to play the rest of the update now.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

News All Day Network Special Report posted:

... outbreak of hostilities between the Star Empire of Altair and the Klackon. What had once been a relatively stable quadrant of the galaxy has now joined the Spinward Quadrant and Far Quadrant in...

On the plus side, the planetary shield saved Irguk.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Bit late but in favor of the shield. And they've saved planets before in my games. They're really good.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
All right, finished playing through things, but need to grab planetary screenshots still. I must say- a single one of our battle fleets, at this point, is capable of smashing significant resistance by the Sakkra Nations, and this is before we get our new flagship or a carrier to the front to support it.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

a) Slightly off-topic, but: After "randomly looking at a save", I have spent a bit over 15 hours playing MoO. Thanks a lot, nweismuller! :argh:

b) I will amend my statement about the shields a little, they do work well against bio-bombs, but you get into trouble once Antarans start sending nightmare fleets with 40+ bombs :ohdear: But at least the player can guesstimate their bombing capabilities by the size of the incoming fleet.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

Rappaport posted:

a) Slightly off-topic, but: After "randomly looking at a save", I have spent a bit over 15 hours playing MoO. Thanks a lot, nweismuller! :argh:

I am pleased that I've inspired you to get a bit of enjoyment out of this game, then. Heh.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

Report presented to the UML Assembly posted:

Of the 300 million surface troops posted to the Sakkra front, 120 million remain available for future combat operations on new planets. The remaining 180 million have been committed to invasion forces and occupation service, with Gnolam troops to be rotated out of service as new Sakkra troops are trained locally to maintain the occupation. Casualties have thus far been lighter than anticipated, with approximately 1 million Gnolams KIA or MIA and approximately 4 million being granted medical discharges after combat wounds. Given the relatively light casualties, domestic opposition to the war remains manageable, although any evidence of heavy casualties amongst ground force recruits is likely to result in immediate impacts to public opinion.

Local Sakkra elites have proven heavily obstructive, and occupation forces have needed to systematically strip the legal privileges of local elites and confiscate property of those found to be supporting counter-occupation movements. With League-standard legal protections for contract and property in place and with opportunity to start full-scale operations on occupied worlds, it has been proven that Gnolam corporations and Gnolam corporate officers are capable of bringing a Sakkra workforce up to the levels of productivity that would be expected of a Gnolam world with similar development- something which was far from certain before our experience. Investment by League firms to bring the occupied planets, which had extremely poor development before occupation, has been ongoing.

Continued expeditionary force recruitment, under these conditions, may be possible with proper incentivisation. War victories have not brought a significant increase in popular support- polls indicate that most of the population sees no gain for themselves in the occupation of these new worlds. Nonetheless, the fact that this has not undermined support for the Assembly can be considered a victory, and should help continue to maintain strong relations with the New Empire, which does maintain strong popular support.

With the Sakkra Nations now unable to exercise power in the galactic core, we can say that one potential axis of threat to the League has been greatly reduced. The outbreak of war in the Driftward Quadrant, however, now raises the question of whether a breakdown in relations with the Klackon or the Star Empire of Altair will ensue.

E: It appears our income bonus for being Gnolams applies to Sakkra populations we conquer, which is more than I had expected. And, so far, the ground war has been easy.

nweismuller fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Nov 5, 2021

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hooray. In MoO2, is the income bonus a racial bonus?

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

General Revil posted:

Hooray. In MoO2, is the income bonus a racial bonus?

In MoO2, cash income is acquired in race design, like other bonuses.

The following traits apply per population unit in MoO2:
Population growth
Farming
Industry
Science
Gravity tolerance
The population cap, pollution tolerance, and agriculture effects of Aquatic, Subterranean, and Tolerant (but see note)
The food/industry consumption effects of Cybernetic
Lithovore

The following bonuses apply per empire rather than population unit in MoO2:
Money
Ship defense
Ship attack
Ground combat
Spying
Government type
The ship repair effects of Cybernetic
Repulsive and Charismatic
Creative and Uncreative
Fantastic Traders
Telepathic (in almost all ways, see note)
Lucky
Omniscient
Stealthy Ships
Transdimensional
Warlord

I can't confirm whether the effect of Telepathic that protects your colonies from telepathic mind control is empire- or population-based, nor can I confirm if the defensive bonuses of Subterranean are empire- or population-based.

And yet, despite money having been an empire-level bonus in MoO2, I still somehow expected it to be population-level in this game.

nweismuller fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Nov 7, 2021

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

As per our previous discussion, and since this is the only active nuMoO thread, I'll just share this here. I still blame nweismuller.

Now I only have the Alkari and Bulrathi left...Yes, :bisonyes:

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

Rappaport posted:

As per our previous discussion, and since this is the only active nuMoO thread, I'll just share this here. I still blame nweismuller.

Now I only have the Alkari and Bulrathi left...Yes, :bisonyes:

Nice! Well-done, Rappaport!

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
I've had a lot of time demands recently on me, but I'm going to dedicate the week starting Sunday to image processing and writing. Fingers crossed we'll see an update sometime within the week after Sunday.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Not a post for this LP directly, but the trio pack of Gnolam/Trilarian/Elerian is on sale at GOG for 3.49. You'll need it to play Ferengi Space Cows.
And I got my Silicoid Mastery merit badge. It's fun to sprawl without a care in the world for biome.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Xlorp posted:

And I got my Silicoid Mastery merit badge. It's fun to sprawl without a care in the world for biome.

My little Christmas miracle

:ohno:

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
I've been smacked by things getting very busy and managing this LP getting very unwieldy, and after my long hiatus, it's hard to get back into it just yet. I think I need to cleanse my palate and refresh my habit of writing. To that end, and to share something that's eaten much of my time of late, I will begin a new Star Dynasties LP, featuring the new 'Bloodlines' DLC and the two small mods I have authored for the game. The new LP is available at https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3997288, and I hope to see people there!

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Bumping this because I wanted to collect 3 remaining 'achievements'. Two of them are blueprint diddling but the last is winning a multiplayer game. Which means friends, I think. Would that be all I need to host/join a game?

Been using Very Slow for all settings; the little decisions matter more.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

Xlorp posted:

Bumping this because I wanted to collect 3 remaining 'achievements'. Two of them are blueprint diddling but the last is winning a multiplayer game. Which means friends, I think. Would that be all I need to host/join a game?

Been using Very Slow for all settings; the little decisions matter more.

Looks like you can invite Steam friends into a private game via the multiplayer interface, just looking into the game again. Give me a moment, I'll toss you some contact information via PM, since although it's been a bit since I've played nuMoO, I'll be happy to help.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
Would there still be any interest in me continuing this? For now I want to focus on my (sadly-delayed) Star Dynasties LP, but now that I mostly have sleep straightened out, that might be easier to work on. And I don't, in the long term, want to just abandon this LP.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
I'd still read it, for what it's worth.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
We need to terraform a planet to be the future home of humanity apart from all the artificial habitats!

Edit: Now that I properly read your post, and realized that this is the MoO thread... I'd still really like to see the end of this LP, although I'm much more engaged with the Star Dynasties LP.

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Apr 23, 2023

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Sure, I'll keep reading.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Wanton bloodlust works much better in this game than the other one. :orks101:

I mean I'll be beating the wardrums either way, it's just that "hey go gently caress up their poo poo because you can" is less likely to blow up in your face over here. :v:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I'd be game to continue reading the LP.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
I'll definitely be reading!

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'd be up for reading it, but I'm more invested in the Star Dynasties LP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

As the forum resident nuMoO apologist, I vote for continuing this too, if you feel up to it!