Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Cat Mattress posted:

I bet it's because they couldn't maintain their "sufficiently advanced technology" brand of magical supremacy if they did. A spaceship cannot be crewed by the technologically-illiterate, and likewise for a fledgling colony on an alien planet. And then they'd have to compete with other civilization where the entire workforce is educated and able to contribute to the research effort.

Yeah this is similar to my cynical take. The Masters have a pretty good setup for keeping themselves in power and luxury, why rock the boat with something as potentially destabilizing as space colonization? They probably could spin it as "leading us through the Astral Realm to new planes of existence" or something but no sufficient motivation for that effort, especially when they can cut a deal with existing interstellar powers and reap some of the benefits indirectly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

They say that he who dies with the most Opil wins.

I am winning.
Incidentally, GunnerJ, since you were pretty interested in the Nyunyu earlier, how do you like their more detailed writeup? What do you make of them?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Well I'm always interested to see a mention of sortition, a system that was once nearly synonymous with democracy and is now poorly understood outside of references to jury selection. You have to have a very strong commitment to equality to think that assemblies of random citizens can govern, so the idea of them being under the thumb of a militant monarchy presents a lot of room for conflict, and the fact that the only real "tyrannizing" the Bulra have done is strong-arm them into cleaning up their environment is pretty funny. I wonder if there are Nyunyu ultra-nationalists driving around in trucks with those big obnoxious smoke stacks and "bumper stickers" featuring lots of derogatory imagery directed at bears.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
Burning coal to own the libs bears.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

Groetgaffel posted:

Burning coal to own the libs bears.

Everybody burns coal on Nyu, given their lack of large-scale fission or fusion plants. But yes, there are indeed Nyunyu who resent that degree of interference by the Great Empire of Bulra.

I'm going to give it about a week before I start looking into alternate hosting for images going forward. It's going to be very awkward shifting hosting for old images- I have uneditable old LP threads and gigs of images on Photobucket- but I need a way to reliably get images up and to people for purposes of my LPing. Anything else people would like to hear while we wait, questions for me, fiction to write?

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
I've decided I'll be using Imgur for hosting from here on out, because the technical difficulties with Photobucket are regrettably not something I'm happy with. I've edited the Degonian post to fit, and will work on getting images up for the Klackon and Sakkra posts. I may take a little bit longer- this threw me out of my groove a bit- but I'll try to have a full update up by some time this weekend. Sorry for the delays.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

The pirate enclaves are some driven and highly unlucky mofos. They send ships out like clockwork which never come back. You'd think they'd rather invest in anything at all less catastrophic, like AntaranCoin.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
The Dawn of the Core Rush

Early in OIR 2202, the Suppressor discovered anomalous readings in the outer portion of the Scutulums system, which it set out via sublight drives to investigate. Late in the same year, it arrived at the site, discovered a still partially-intact laboratory complex built into an asteroid that had evidently been knocked out of a closer orbit in the distant past. The Suppressor reported this finding via long-range communications probe, and research teams moved in from the League to thoroughly examine the laboratory ruins.

Although the laboratory was badly decayed, nonetheless there were some samples of written Orion language, unfortunately insufficient to begin any program of translation. Most of the laboratory equipment was long since defunct, but a small craft hangar still intact in the laboratory allowed for the recovery of three long-since non-functional small craft. Although much of their technology could not be replicated, their general design architecture was enough to allow for Gnolam-native designs of high-performance small craft that could potentially be of military use.

In 2205, the Suppressor arrived at the Sena system, discovering that the ocean planet of Degon in the system was already inhabited by a native sapient species, the Degonians. The Degonians, although currently at an Iron Age level of technology, had established a stable global society based around a body of treaty law between the various kingdoms of the planet, arbitrated by an independent class of judges. With s Gnolam presence in the Sena system and with some technological aid, they could potentially be valuable trade partners to the League.

I'm taking a small liberty and calling 'Degon' the name of the planet, rather than of the system, here.

In 2206, negotiators from the United Republic approached the League seeking to broker a technology exchange. Republican xenologists had developed public relations and policing strategies intended to ease the integration of foreign populations brought under Republican administration in war, which could easily enough be adapted to the League's use. In return, they sought for the release of Gnolam information on tailor-made microbiotic cells used in Gnolam medical treatments to seek out and eliminate diseases. The League agreed to arrange the transfers, arranging for qualified biotechnologists to be approved for taking jobs in the Republic to train Republican scientists and doctors in the technology, even as Human xenologists were lent to the League for consultation.

Late in the same year, the General Oversight Combine approached the Universal Mercantile League seeking free passage for military and colonisation traffic in League territory. As with the continuing requests for the same privilege by the United Republic, the League denied this request, despite the disappointment of policymakers in the Main Combine Cycle.

The Suppressor continued its explorations, discovering that an unstable hyperspace conduit out from the Sena system led to a new galactic quadrant and to territory held by the Klackon. The Klackon, a quasi-insectoid species, were united by limited intraspecies telepathy which both allowed and helped force a strong 'consensus effect' upon Klackon populations, which the Klackon revered in quasi-religious fashion as a 'mind of the hive'. The consensus of the Klackon population, or the will of the hive mind, was interpreted and formalised by the commands of a Klackon 'queen', a particularly telepathically-gifted individual.

Early contact with the Klackon ended with the Klackon agreeing to exchange ambassadors with the League and permitting open commercial traffic between the League and Klackon space. Although, unlike the Humans and Meklars, the Klackon effectively lacked any independent economic firms within their society, nonetheless the Klackon Queen was willing to export basic products easily produced by mass Klackon labor in exchange for foreign goods that could be of use in Klackon industry or valuable for caring for the basic needs of the Klackon population.

Continued observation and research by Gnolam researchers led to a series of breakthroughs in understanding and manipulating hyperspace by 2209. Sending coherent transmissions through hyperspace allowed for effective communications between stars connected by hyperspace conduits, which greatly reduced the time and expense to send messages across the League. With communications greatly improved, commerce, military command, and political unity could only benefit. The improved understanding of hyperspace also allowed for the first hyperspace phase cannon designs- powerful weapons that drew only a fraction of their energy from the reactor of the ship mounting them, relying on ripping open a temporary breach between hyperspace and realspace to flood their target point with the unstable energies and radiations of hyperspace. Although still an immature technology, hyperspace phase cannon promised to apply immense firepower to any target.

As the Vindicator explored other portions of the stars near the galactic core, it discovered a hyperspace conduit to the fourth and last quadrant surrounding the core region in 2212. The system beyond this conduit contained no fewer than three colonies of the various nations of the Sakkra. The Sakkra were a reptiloid species native to the planet of Guanar in the Sssla system- rapidly-breeding and brutish. Their various nations had been united by main force by a monarchy headed by the Hissa dynasty, with the current Hissa monarch styling himself the 'Father of Nations'. Despite this central monarchy, the Sakkra nations were riven by petty wars and feuds as powerful families scrambled for advantage within their nation and differing nations vied against each other in brushfire wars.

The Father of Nations proved willing to open diplomatic negotiations and permit Gnolam mercantile traffic to his empire. Whether this state of peace would endure when the Sakkra gained access to the technology to enter the core region remained a very open question, given the warlike nature of the Sakkra.

Cybernetic control systems proved a boon for seeding of advanced adaptive expert systems in computing. By 2213, Ston Precision Computing had unveiled a new suite of sensor analysis systems that were only the most prominent of the improvements in expert systems. Careful hull mapping and analysis of stress in materials could be applied to assist Naval fire control, allowing fire to more effectively be directed onto vulnerable points on a target. Although such a system would be bulky and expensive, it could potentially greatly strengthen the firepower of ships making use of it.

In early 2217, Naval forces at Guad detected a new entrance of a sizeable Antaran task force into hyperspace, and Gnolams in Guad received a transmission from the Antaran officer commanding the task force. This officer stated that Navok would be 'only the first world to be cleansed of the taint of inferior species to make way for the Antaran State'. Civilian shipping began rerouting from Guad, while the Naval task force in position at Guad moved to support the fixed defenses over Navok.

The extensive mining complexes on Teziv had steadily been expanded since the planet's colonisation. By 2220, raw materials output on Teziv had reached a new peak, helping allow for the further expansion of shipbuilding operations on Teziv, which by this point had become the primary military shipyard world of the League. Unfortunately, even with this boost to productivity, Teziv was unable to deploy reinforcements to Navok in time to support its defenders against the Antaran attack.

A Naval taskforce of a battleship and two frigates supported an armed weapons platform and the Naval base in Navok's orbit, facing off against three Antaran frigates, five cruisers, and a single battleship as the Antarans arrived in 2021. Although the Navy fought desperately, Antaran fusion torpedoes systematically dismantled the fixed defenses, while the two frigates had insufficient point defenses to stave off all the missile fire inbound on the mobile units. In the end, the Antarans lost two frigates and had another cruiser severely damaged, while the Navy's defending forces were utterly annihilated.

The Antarans promptly unleashed a massive load of biological weapons upon Navok, hoping to revisit the horror they had previously unleashed upon the planet. Somehow, however- aided by modern microbiotic medicine- only about fifty million persons died in total on the planet, including many members of local security forces. Compared to the first bombardment Navok had suffered, it escaped this ordeal nearly unscathed. The Antarans, once again having exhausted their payloads and beyond the range of logistical support, began their retreat back to their point of entry, leaving behind a promise that none would ultimately survive their return.

Nearly simultaneous with the assault on Navok, Gnolam researchers used progress in machine learning and expert systems to continue to improve robotics technology. With extensive automation, Naval bases could be expanded, providing both more powerful defenses and greater capacity to serve as logistical support centers and training facilities. Commerce with the Combine continued with the help of loans that helped Meklar firms to cover necessary capital expenses.

I'm not super-enamored of nuMoO making upgrades to star bases depend on robotics technology- I probably would have focused orbital defenses more along the engineering line than the computing line. But so it goes.

2224 was marked by several notable developments within the Universal Mercantile League. Continued improvements in the League's computing and robotics technology steadily ensured that it was the primary exporter of computing devices and robotics in the known galaxy, with growing export values supporting Gnolams enjoying steady benefits from foreign imports. Continued research offered the potential for factory ships to reassemble asteroid belts into stable planets or blast off the bulk of the gasses from a gas giant's atmosphere, while using its moons and ring systems along with existing material to serve as the nucleus of a new rocky planet. Given the number of already-existing planets the League had yet to colonise, however, and the value of gas giants and asteroid belts on their own, this was of primarily theoretical interest as of yet.

The veteran Sakkra mercenary Lilka's arrival at Navok in a converted assault transport, leading a battalion of hardened Sakkra troops, however, was perhaps the event that drew the most attention in the news. Lilka was a brutal and expert fighter in ground actions who had achieved notoriety for her success as a combatant in the remarkably patriarchal Sakkra culture. She and her mercenary outfit, Lilka's Raiders, had fought in countless petty conflicts in Sakkra space, and could doubtless prove to serve as expert special forces in any ground actions the League engaged in in the future.

Lilka's boost to global credits income does not stack with the bonus we already get from Axelsson, so we can safely disregard the fact that she provides it. If we hire her, however, she may be valuable as a leader in the event of war breaking out.

A year later, in 2225, the Universal Mercantile League settled its first planet in the systems around the core, the lifeless, heavy-gravity world of Genein. The League was not the only power to settle a planet in the core that year- the General Oversight Combine settled the Media system, securing access to the ancient ruins in the system. The race to settle the core had begun.

Known Space and the Universal Mercantile League as of 2225

The Universal Mercantile League has seen respectable growth in innovation and absolutely massive growth in investment over the past 25 years, the growth in investment driven primarily by growth in the value of trade with the Republic and the Combine and by the vast new markets opened by contact with the Klackon and the Sakkra nations. The Sakkra and Klackon dominate much of their respective quadrants, while the Combine and League have begun their first tentative steps into colonisation of the core. The United Republic has also begun exploring the core, and has established formal diplomatic relations with the General Oversight Combine. The Gnolam position in the core shall doubtless depend on the ability of its new colonisation consortia to seed colonies into new systems, claiming them for the League.

New gate stations have been established in the Kakari, Shimari, and Guad systems, allowing for direct hyperspace routes between those three systems and somewhat easier long-range traffic across the League.

A new border defense station is already under construction in Montone, while one of the scouts that has been exploring the core has been able to pull back and temporarily secure another approach to the system. Work is under way to cement the League's defense of the system and its forward borders.

Work has been under way to expand the Naval base over Val, in the hopes of better protecting its 13 billion inhabitants. Val remains the economic center of the League, although the growth of other worlds has reduced the extent to which its position dominates over the colony worlds.

Stevas' population has remained essentially steady at 7 billion persons over the past 25 years, although hospitals updated with modern cloned organ facilities for transplants have increased the quality of medical care and oceanic platforms for research computers have helped contribute to data analysis for the League's continued progress. Work has begun on a major expansion of the Naval base over Stevas.

Tessin's population has stabilised at approximately 13 billion persons, although this shall likely soon dip again as a new colony effort is launched from the planet. The planet has seen major improvements in educational facilities and attainment for its population over the past 25 years, as well as having major orbital warehousing facilities and lunar ship components manufacturing facilities established here. The League of Kakari, headquartered on Tessin, has seen notable success in bringing the system together as a cohesive entity, while plans are under way by the League of Kakari to significantly bolster Tessin's local defenses in the future. Tessin nearly matches Val on many measures of economic productivity, although per capita incomes still remain higher on the homeworld.

Eglein's population has remained roughly stable at over 11 billion over the last 25 years, emigrants out from the planet compensating for any population growth. A new armed orbital platform helps defend the planet, although it is feared that without the support of an expanded Naval base and a reinforced Naval task force, these defenses are inadequate to hold back the Antarans at best. Major improvements in education, both of the sciences and of the liberal studies, are well on the way to full implementation on Eglein.

Navok's escape from major devastation by the Antaran attack is little short of miraculous, and the planet's position is stronger than it was 25 years ago, save for the defenses that have yet to be rebuilt in orbit. The population has now reached nearly six billion persons, who enjoy widespread access to modern consumer and entertainment optronics that help fuel a higher quality of life on the planet. The establishment of local industries to provide the appropriate chemicals and tools of active soil chemistry management by local farmers has bolstered agricultural yields on the planet, as has the growth of the agricultural workforce to approximately 100 million persons. The planet enjoys a far more stable food supply now. Work is under way to re-establish local defenses, hopefully to secure the planet before the Antarans are able to return.

Eydin's population has once again dipped below 11 billion persons, some of the population drawn off by colonisation efforts. The past 25 years have seen Eydin's educational establishment greatly improved, while manufacturing complexes for ship components have been established on its moon and two new armed defensive platforms have nearly been completed around the planet. A new colonisation consortium is being formed here, to depart to the core at the earliest opportunity.

Teziv's population has stablised at approximately 10 billion persons, with a far larger and more productive scientific community than it hosted 25 years ago. The planet's communications infrastructure has been thoroughly modernised, and research departments on the planet have access to the cutting-edge equipment and funding needed to support their work, which is dominated by engineering problems. The planet, whose heavy industry is now even more productive than ever before, serves as the League's primary Naval shipbuilding center, and is frantically turning out ships to reinforce a new Naval task force at Guad.

Sluyen's population has stabilised at approximately 13 billion persons, and has joined the ranks of developed worlds of the League that host a truly first-rate educational establishment. A new armed orbital platform reinforces its defenses, while a new colonisation consortium is being formed on the planet to strike out for the core.

Skeggi has seen a major modernisation of its cargo ports over the past 25 years, as well as a great improvement in access to modern optronic luxuries and conveniences for the population. The planet is rapidly being terraformed to a more Val-like state, which should allow its rather modest population of 6 billion persons to grow further. The local League member states has resolved to strengthen Skeggi's defenses, although they are somewhat hampered by the relatively small size of Skeggi's economy overall.

Tarvaal's population has grown to over four billion persons, with both its agricultural and heavy industrial sectors expanding to employ over 100 million persons. It has seen massive economic development over the past 25 years, with gravity generation plants reducing felt gravity on the planet to a comfortable level, full implementation of modern industrial robotics expanding the output of its heavy industrial sector, modernisation of its hospitals, and the establishment of modern cargo ports and the export industries that help take advantage of these modern ports. Work has begun to establish major research facilities on Tarvaal's moon. The planet still relies heavily on outside imports, but its economy is far stronger and more viable than it was 25 years ago.

Nevan's population has grown to over 3 billion persons, supporting a heavy industrial workforce of approximately 150 million. Gravity generation plants help ensure the population is more comfortable and more productive, and full implementation of modern robotics in Nevan's industry has bolstered its productivity. New cargo ports are very close to going online on Nevan, and are expected to allow for new streams of imports and exports to bring profits to Nevan's businesses and wealth and luxury to its consumers. Although Nevan remains relatively backward by League standards, it nonetheless has made immense progress, and life here is steadily growing better.

Genein was only settled earlier this year, and is in a frantic state of work to develop an economic base on the planet. Heavy investment has flowed into the planet to accelerate its industrial development, but a very great deal remains to be done here.

Given the increased demands brought by new alien contact, LIIS staffing has been expanded to ten primary field team directors, with nine of the directors focusing on counterespionage. One of the most experienced directors, however, has been assigned to collect basic navigational charts and information sources on alien species beyond the local quadrant. An RIA team was apprehended and incarcerated over the past years, setting back Republican intelligence-gathering in the League.

The steady march of Gnolam advancement has left many exciting prospects for future technological breakthroughs. Economics, physics, computing, agriculture, ecological engineering, space engineering, and materials science all offer advances that promise great benefits to Gnolams and to the League.

Proposals for the Universal Mercantile League

Research Proposals- Primary Priorities
With the time for messages to cross the League now measured in mere days with the advent of hyperspace communications, the prospect of a new age of galactic-scale commerce lies before the League- although, of course, this would require League businesses to scale up to the new challenges. Adaptation of Naval strategic doctrine to its new capabilities based on improved communications may be a somewhat more modest goal. Continued refinement of hyperspace physics, in addition to helping make hyperspace phase cannon a significantly more mature technology, could also be of benefit to the design of defensive shields, while intensive refinement of gravity-manipulation technology may allow for effective containment systems for antimatter as a weapons system, as well as helping provide for a new generation of shield systems or jammers. Use of modest quantities of antimatter as a local power source for computing could help provide the needed energy density for a new generation of incredibly high-performance optronics, useful both for scientific research and military applications. A new generation of agricultural advances may help the League's farmers grow more productive than ever before, while a new generation of ecological engineering techniques may be able to increase the fertility and biological yield of a planet beyond even that of a Val-like garden world. New and larger-scale space engineering techniques could allow for space elevators- which will doubtless greatly aid shipyard worlds- and the development of even larger battleships, while the use of antimatter as a power source for star drives may allow even better performance than drives using synthetic heavy element reactors. Finally, development of nanotechnological engineering methods will greatly reduce the expense of manufacturing miniaturised components in all fields of industry, and help with the development of new generations of materials formulated with greater precision than ever before.
Please vote between GALACTIC ECONOMICS, Advanced Tactics, Multi-Phased Physics, SUBSPACE FIELDS, Positronics, Astro Biology, TRANS GENETICS, Astro Engineering, Anti-Matter Fission, or NANO TECHNOLOGY. Voting for a field in all caps necessarily implies researching its prerequisite(s) first- Advanced Tactics for Galactic Economics, Supergravity for Subspace Fields, Astro Engineering and Astro Biology for Trans Genetics, and Astro Engineering and Anti-Matter Fission for Nano Technology. We've gotten to a point where we have a great many genuinely good choices ahead of us.

Research Proposals- Secondary Priorities
Research into applying hyperspace as a tool for improving shield designs currently falls along one of two different lines. Setting up a field that allows energy absorbed by a shield system to be bled off partly into hyperspace could allow for a longer time until shield failure, while focusing on using hyperspace as a momentum sink for momentum transferred to the shield generator itself could allow for a much stronger gravitic component that could be sufficient to deflect even macroscopic kinetic projectiles, and would increase the minimum energy levels needed to cause any noticeable disruption to a shield system. More general work in field generation could focus on improving the output of electromagnetic and gravitic components of defensive shields, or allow for jamming systems of a new level of sophistication that better thwart missile seekers. Military research projects in next-generation computing are split between a Logical Computing project to apply increased computing power to standard targeting computers, or a Ston Precision Computing project in robotics intended to allow for more precise mechanical aiming of ship weapons mounts, reducing the targeting error caused by slight misalignments of weapons at extreme ranges.
Please vote between multi-phased shields and hard shields, between a new generation of shields or jammers, and between Logical and Ston projects in computing.

Diplomatic Proposals- Access Negotiations
Permitting either the Republic or the Combine colonisation access to League space is considered an unacceptable risk at this time. However, it may be possible to negotiate unilateral access by the League to send scouts through Republican and Combine space in order to make contact with new species and new trade partners by offering League technology. The Republic could be convinced to allow such access through offering Gnolam educational techniques, while the Combine would accept a wide array of relatively old technologies and League navigational charts. It is possible that this may reduce the frequency of requests for the League to open its borders, with neither Combine nor Republic being able to offer free access to their territory as a concession any more.
Please vote yea or nay on bribing the United Republic to allow open borders to us without us offering open borders to them, and likewise vote yea or nay for a similar deal with the General Oversight Combine. The United Republic deal will require us trading away Astro University for the concession, while the GOC deal will require six different technologies well behind our cutting edge (Fusion Bomb, Alien Psychology, ECM Jammer, Fighter Bays, Deep Scanner, and Microbiotics) and our charts data.

Lilka's Raiders
Lilka's Raiders are a brutally effective Sakkra mercenary unit that could easily serve as the most effective special operations group in the League's military. Their history is unsavory, but they could potentially be a valuable weapon in the hands of the League, should warfare involving major planetary actions involving the League ever break out.
Please vote yea or nay on hiring Lilka's Raiders.

Colonisation Proposals
If the League can successfully colonise the Niallar, Cygni, and Sena systems before any other galactic power, it can control all routes to the Orion system, establish continuing relations with the Degonians, and ensure continued access deeper into the core- many believe that these three systems should be targeted first for colonisation.
Please vote yea or nay on prioritising Niallar, Cygni, or Sena first. If you vote nay, please indicate where we should colonise first. If you vote yea, optionally indicate which of the three you think should be our first priority.

Naval Expansion
The Navy believes that establishing at least one more task force in the core will be necessary to ensure future security as the League expands. It further believes, given the evidence of the last battle with the Antarans over Navok, that all Naval task forces should be reinforced beyond their current planned strength.
Please vote for one or two new planned task forces in the core. Please vote for a total strength of three, four, or five battleships per task force, and four, five, or six frigate escorts.

Military Shipyards
The Navy currently maintains one dedicated shipyard at Teziv. There has been discussion that perhaps this should be supplemented in the near future with a new military shipyard at Tessin, allowing the Navy to expand its forces more rapidly to its target level.
Please vote yea or nay on dedicating Tessin to building warships once we build up its defenses.

LIIS Policy
Current efforts by LIIS to gather basic navigational intelligence have been successful, and continued efforts to gather intelligence from the Klackon and from the Sakkra nations should allow for fairly comprehensive navigational charts of the galaxy. Whether LIIS should continue on its current intelligence-gather, or refocus entirely on internal security, remains open to discussion in the Assembly.
Please vote yea or nay on continuing to use one LIIS team to fill out the remainder of our charts and guide us on future scouting.

Access to the core has brought new trade and new opportunities to the Gnolam people, although the fact that both Humans and Meklars have achieved the technology needed to access the core nearly on the heels of the Gnolams presents challenges to maintain the League's strategic position. Still, the potential rewards for all Gnolams and for the League seem great.

nweismuller fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Aug 10, 2021

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
Sorry this took so long to get out. Hopefully with my using Imgur in the future, we should avoid future Photobucket-related delays. Thanks for sticking with the LP, everybody, you're the best!

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Nanotechnology
Hard shields
Shields
Ston
Yea on UR access
Yea on GOC access
Yea on Lilka's Raiders
Yea prioritising Niallar
2 task forces
5 battleships
6 frigates
Yea on Tessin yards
Yea on LIIS chart filling

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Ah, building planets out of gas giants and asteroid belts. This technology is super cool, but the planets it makes aren't the best, and you're obviously giving up whatever mines or labs you had there in the meantime. In the long run, a big planet is going to pay off way more than a mine or lab, but it takes a long time to get to that point. You have to spend eight turns squishing things down or together, and someone else has to divert time and resources into a colony ship (and maybe some transports to help get things going), and then you have to spend a lot of time building things up until it's productive. Still, it can be handy once you start feeling a little hemmed in, especially if your solution to feeling the squeeze does not involve warships. Plus if a system is nothing but asteroids and/or gas giants, this at least lets you get some kind of foothold in the system.

For voting, for the primary propsal, I am going to go for TRANS GENETICS. Upgrading every world to Gaia is, quite frankly, slow and expensive to the point that it's not super efficient, but screw it, Gaias for everybody. Because a Gaia planet can have more people working in industry, although this brings the problem of having that many people probably causing a net positive in pollution, and then you have to shift people off industry to make it go down. But the ability to redline it for a while for when you need to build something now is nice. The fact that you will pick up space elevators along the way is, of course, a bonus.

For the secondary priorities, I will vote Hard Shields, because in addition to improving the damage reduction by six points, it also negates shield piercing effects (take that, mass drivers) and keeps nebulas from shutting down your shields. The nebulas are the big problem, because they can appear anywhere and are unpredictable, whereas the AI shipbuilders do not properly leverage shield piercing capabilities. You can bet that I will be proposing ships that are all about just blowing past shields when the time comes, though.

I also vote new shields because new shields stop everything, jammers only stop missiles, and you go hard as hell on point defense. I'm pretty sure that the game fires on all incoming missiles, and then at the time of impact does the "will this actually hit" roll, as opposed to rolling for "will this hit" and then only shooting at the ones that would, which is why I'll stick on ECM only after filling my ship up with the other "don't die" and "kill 'em back harder" systems. The value of the "don't die" systems does shift over time, of course. Reinforced Hulls go by the base hitpoints, not the modified hit points, so as you get better and better armor materials, the improvement falls off. Heavy Armor gets better as time goes by, because armor deflection just keeps getting better, and Heavy Armor doubles that. Assuming they can punch through your shields in the first place, but time will tell how much that will matter.

For the computing projects, I am going to go with the Logical proposal, because most of the really good poo poo doesn't have too much accuracy fall-off later. There are some guns that you pretty much have to jam up people's noses to make them remotely useful, but we'll have time to acquire the relevant technology before then, and there's enough other races that someone will probably research it. You may be thinking "aren't there other ways to mitigate that accuracy issue," and in the case I am thinking of, no, there really is not. The issue is that bad.

For bribing the Humans and Meklar, I vote yes to both. I don't think we'll get as much value out of going through Human controlled areas, because I think we might be able to find a way around them, but the Astro University isn't too high a price. The Meklar look to be more of an issue, considering that we'd have to go around them via Lirr -> Templum -> Vuzar -> Chort, but the stuff we'd be giving them is mostly not directly dangerous to us: the bombs only matter if they can park stuff in orbit, the psychology won't work on players (but might let them cut better deals with neighbors, and make them get the Bulrathi to back off), the jammer's not an issue because I think only our counter-piracy/scout frigates use missiles, our heavy point defense will help deal with fighter swarms (which are only as dangerous as their best PD anyway), the deep scanner is most useful early and will only speed up exploration a little, and the microbiotics is the only one that's a problem because it'll let them grow faster. And them knowing all the planets we explored only matters if they can get there, and I'm not sure if they can get through hyperspace conduits yet. If they can't, who cares, and if they can, they aren't getting into our turf unless they're willing to start a fight over it. Plus, of course, there is the advantage that is blindingly obvious but won't be used: nothing says "I have altered the deal" quite like emptying out a dozen troop transports over their home planet. :black101:

For hiring the Raiders, hell yes hire them. They seem rad. Plus there's also the issue that the major thing that causes wars to stall out is attrition, and the beefier your marines, the fewer marine transports you need to use to take planets, which means you can make your forces last longer before you have to pause to let all the transports you've churned out in the meantime catch up.

For colonizing, yes to Sena for the Degonians. I don't know what the other two planets are like, but the Degonians giving them three free food each means that you can immediately drop at least two more colonists on each to give them a kickstart without having to worry about them starving. Plus you can throw down an outpost on the Degon/Smon border, keeping the Klackons contained, at least from that direction.

For naval expansion, you will not be surprised that I am voting two new task forces, five big ships each, six escorts each. We've got the command points for it, and I don't trust the Sakkra to not start some poo poo. I am not going to start beating the war drums yet, however, because I think the Sakkra are willing to play nice, even if that "nice" is enforced at the barrel of a gun. Unlike some other motherfuckers who appear to be Sir Not Appearing In This Galaxy. gently caress the Darloks, Nazin delenda est.

For turning Tessin into a shipyard, I will say yes to Tessin Shipyards. What it lacks in things like "being large or huge" or "being rich" or "having a moon," it makes up for it in "is actually fully developed," and once you stick in some space elevators, it'll be pretty solid at turning out ships. Which is especially important given the naval expansion I just voted for. It seems kind of silly to say "let's build a mighty fleet" and then not really give you anywhere to do it.

For LIIS policy, I would vote for "dispatch more teams to get it done faster," but as that is not an option, I will vote yes, keep our one team snooping, with a bonus "let's rifle through the Klackon's poo poo next" vote because we know very little about them or that area of space. Seeing how many of their systems we'd have to cut through to reach their home planet is, of course, a bonus, because so far it looks like if we really wanted to, we could be at everyone's homeworld doorstep after cutting through a single system (Butain -> Sol, Neptunus -> Meklon, probably Olor -> Ssla). Smon might connect directly to Kholdan, but that'd be a pretty long lane. I suspect Kholdan connects to Fovea and the unknown white star, one or both of which connect to Smon.

Not that I expect we'll need to punch through a border system to get right to their exposed and probably developed capitol worlds, simultaneously netting us a nicely developed and habitable prize while throwing the enemy into disarray as the loss of their capitol causes a drop in morale and command points (not that the command point drop is relevant, because we probably blew up a big chunk of ships in the process) which in turn allows us to roll up the rest like a cheap cigar, but y'know. Just in case. :unsmigghh:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Research Proposals- Primary Priorities: GALACTIC ECONOMICS -- this is what the Gnolams were made for.
Research Proposals- Secondary Priorities: hard shields, class V shields, and Logical's positronic computer. Generally go with the stuff that's useful all the time, not the time that's situationally useful.
Diplomatic Proposals- Access Negotiations: yea for both, why not.
Lilka's Raiders: yea they're not especially interesting honestly but you wrote a cool little fic for them so why not.
Colonisation Proposals: Sena, everyone else already has their pet minor civilization but not us; let's grab the Degonians before we're accused of being unfashionable.
Naval Expansion: two new task forces in the core, four, battleships, six frigate escorts. Also let's not neglect orbital missile bases as part of planetary defenses, every little bit helps.
Military Shipyards: yea I guess. We got a bigger and bigger area to defend, and we just lost a task force to an Antarian raid so in a repeat situation we'd want to be able to regain our strength quickly and more shipyards will help with that.
LIIS Policy: yea, stealing charts (if we can't trade for them first) is good.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

MechaCrash posted:

For turning Tessin into a shipyard, I will say yes to Tessin Shipyards. What it lacks in things like "being large or huge" or "being rich" or "having a moon," it makes up for it in "is actually fully developed," and once you stick in some space elevators, it'll be pretty solid at turning out ships. Which is especially important given the naval expansion I just voted for. It seems kind of silly to say "let's build a mighty fleet" and then not really give you anywhere to do it.

Tessin has a moon, and the fab facilities on that moon to take advantage of it. It also has another heavily-developed world in its system that can contribute to its industry.

For that matter, we know the Meklars and Humans have the tech to get into the core- in fact, the Meklars colonised a planet in the core just off the Meklon system.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

For the moon thing, I had already gotten so used to the unofficial patch that puts "has a moon" on the system special list that I already forgot that it's not part of the base game. :v: So Tessin should be an even better shipyard than previously imagined.

For the core thing, I'm not sure which conduits are unstable, and once you get the tech to traverse them, I think the game stops showing you which ones they are. Which I consider a bit of a problem, because "I don't have to worry about these guys crashing through this particular border yet" is handy.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

Nian Bortis, to BS&L executives posted:

Access to prices and conditions mere days old on the other side of the League- fresh information from deep in Republic or Combine, given proper equipment- presents us opportunities. We can realistically begin to plan for operational expansion across the known galaxy- and with suppliers from across the galaxy contributing to a galactic commodities market, we can expect total economic yield to go up dramatically.

Galactic Economics Also, hard shields, shields, and Logical.

Nian Bortis, to the Assembly posted:

We have already seen how much trade opened with the Sakkra and the Klackon have benefited our people and the League. I think paying the price necessary to move through Republican and Combine space and make new contacts and new trade partners is well worth it, indeed. I would say that reaching agreement with the Sakkra and further exploring their quadrant would also be of value, but that is a more distant prospect.

And, besides, I believe that, notwithstanding our issues with the Republic's continued espionage, that the League and Republic share a unique community of interest. More than any other alien power we have direct contact with, the United Republic shares many values and ideals with the Universal Mercantile League. Seeing them strengthened and made more prosperous by continued scientific advance cements the position of our natural ally on the galactic stage.

Yea to getting the open border treaties with the Republic and Combine.

Nian Bortis, to the Assembly posted:

I must register my objection to relying upon Lilka's Raiders as an asset to the League. Yes, they are expert infantry special forces. But I have concerns about their loyalty and their discipline. To rely on them in war means that we make use of them with full knowledge of the war crimes they may commit. I do not wish to see the League's name sullied that way.

Nay to hiring Lilka's Raiders.

Yea to colonising the three systems named first, starting with Niallar. Two new task forces, with task forces built around four battleships and four frigates. Yea to establishing Tessin as a new military shipyard, once its defenses are up. Yea on using LIIS to get charts from everybody.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Proposals for the Universal Mercantile League
no tech preferences as yet

yea on bribing the United Republic to allow open borders to us without us offering open borders to them
yea for a similar deal with the General Oversight Combine
yea on hiring Lilka's Raiders
yea on Sena first
two new planned task forces in the core
five battleships per task force
six frigate escorts
yea on dedicating Tessin to building warships once we build up its defenses.
yea on continuing to use one LIIS team to fill out the remainder of our charts and guide us on future scouting

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
Extragnolar Survey Report, 2225- Remaining Core Systems

The whole of the core region has been surveyed, revealing various systems of greater or lesser value.

The Bieron system is solely accessible through the Chort system. It only possesses one potentially-colonisable planet, which has reasonable size and resources and an exploitable moon, but which is rendered less viable by relatively high gravity and a highly corrosive atmosphere.

Bieron Prime is medium, toxic, abundant, and normal-G, with a usable moon and a maximum population of 5 billion.

The Origen system contains a single colonisable body- a very small lifeless planet with an inert atmosphere. Local metals deposits are notably rich, and ancient ruins are present both on the planet and strewn throughout the asteroid belt in the system.

Origen Prime is tiny, barren, rich, and low-G, with a maximum population of 5 billion and artifacts (+2 RP) as a planetary special.

The Sena system is notably life-rich, with two garden planets and a third with a marginal biosphere on a planet with temperatures that only rarely rise above freezing. Degon is dominated by vast oceans with scattered island chains that serve as the homes of the Degonites, but is otherwise similar to Val in size and metals resources. Degon Prime, although a garden planet, suffers from extreme weather systems and has much of its land surface overrun by marshes and jungles. Degon III hosts a simple biosphere around its equatorial band, adapted to relatively comfortable gravity, but is very small. Sena serves as the sole point of access from the core to the driftward quadrant.

Degon is medium, ocean, abundant, and normal-G, and both has a usable moon and is the home of the Degonites. Degon Prime is medium, swamp, abundant, and normal-G, with a maximum population of 12 billion. Degon III is tiny, tundra, abundant, and low-G, with a maximum population of 5 billion.

Vizjar is a system incredibly rich in metals, but incredibly harsh and hostile to life. Vizjar Prime and Vizjar II are both airless, radiation-blasted worlds, with Vizjar II also being notable for extensive crystalline formations across much of its surface, while Vizjar IV, although molten across much of its surface and almost unimaginably hostile to life, has evolved a simple biosphere of extremophilic molds and fungi.

Vizjar I is medium, radiated, ultra-rich, and high-G, with a maximum population of 5 billion. Vizjar II is medium, radiated, ultra-rich, and high-G, with a maximum population of 5 billion and gems (+2 BC) as a planetary special. Vizjar IV is large, volcanic, ultra-rich, and high-G, with a maximum population of 7 billion and red fungus (+2 food) as a planetary special.

Templum has one potentially colonisable planet, rich in resources but with a choking, reactive atmosphere and very high gravity. It also has a gas giant that appears promising for future exploitation.

Templum Prime is medium, toxic, ultra-rich, and high-G, with a maximum population of 5 billion and a usable moon. It can be difficult to see due to the bright core in the background, but there is a conduit connection from Templum to Lirr.

Lirr has three planets with marginal biospheres, all of which are metals-poor and have comfortable gravitational conditions. The cold, nearly-waterless desert of Lirr II is marked by some ancient ruins still visible through the dust and grit, while an asteroid belt could serve as an alternative source of resources.

Lirr Prime is medium, tundra, ultra-poor, and low-G, with a maximum population of 10 billion. Lirr II is medium, desert, ultra-poor, and low-G, with a maximum population of 9 billion, a usable moon, and artifacts (+2 RP) as a planetary special. Lirr III is tiny, desert, poor, and low-G, with a maximum population of 5 billion. A single jump point at the edge of the system supports conduits to Templum and Montone.

The sole access to the far quadrant through the core is via the Brachium system. Although Brachium lacks any colonisable planets, it has a potentially-exploitable asteroid belt.

The sole potentially-colonisable planet of the Warikomi system, although rich in both industrial and precious metals, has very high gravity and a hostile atmosphere.

Warikomi Prime is medium, toxic, ultra-rich, and high-G, with a maximum population of 5 billion and gold (+2 BC) as a planetary special.

Vespam's inner system lacks any viable planets for colonisation, with only scattered debris and unremarkable dwarf planets. Vespam is not a target for colonisation.

The Sahil system is solely accessible through the Vespam system. Three planets could be viable colonisation targets in the system, one of which has a marginal biosphere and comfortable gravity. All three have potentially-exploitable moons, and the closest to Sahil itself has dark quartz deposits.

Sahil Prime is medium, toxic, abundant, and normal-G, with a maximum population of 5 billion, an exploitable moon, and dark quartz (+2 production) as a planetary special. Sahil II is medium, tundra, and ultra-poor, with a maximum population of 10 billion and an exploitable moon. Sahil III is medium, barren, abundant, and normal-G, with a maximum population of 8 billion and an exploitable moon.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

News All Day Network posted:

-stock is rising due to the myriad licensing agreements already in place. Though these new Holistic Agrisystems are still deeply experimental and an active expense, our Nutris corporate liaison is confident in the conglomerate's internal predictions as per their likely future worth. And up next, our xenoconsultant with insights into the popular new paper 'The hive mind and you: Marketing to Klackons'-

TRANS GENETICS, and furthermore hard shields, shields and Logical

Yea on both cases of Open Borders Agreements

Overheard at the Nutris Marketing Think Tank posted:

"But everybody wants SOMETHING! What are we even paying these xenocultural liaisons for if they can't even tell us what it takes to make a sponsorship deal with a single Sakkra. We've got to get that whilst she's still hot news!"

"Perhaps her being hot news right now is exactly why she doesn't want to be known as 'Lilka the DEATH SPORE girl' at the moment? Harmful for her personal brand."

"Harmful? How? She's tough and cool and potentially harmful if consumed in unsafe amounts just like Nutris DEATH SPORES®!"

"I believe the issues is exactly the juvenile stereotyping."

"So..."

"You're telling me we should be going for a ~Flan-Flan☆~ sponsorship instead?"

"..."

"IT'S SUBVERSIVE!"

Yea on Lilka

Yea on Cygni

Two task forces with four battleships and four frigates.

Yea on Tessin's naval focus

Yea on LIIS scouting

Advert Jingle posted:

Feeling lonely?

Feeling sad?

No longer~

Taste the hive with Nutris Bug-Bites~

Theantero fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Jul 26, 2020

Glaive-Guisarme
Jun 8, 2020

Polearms, everywhere.
A lesson learned, bugs and rocks; us common human biologicals do not enjoy dumping boiling water on their hands. At least it lined up with a bit of a dry spell here, but, back to MERCANTILE SHENANIGANS.

Apocrypha Engineering, Restructuring Announcement posted:

...the department responsible for the Maniple Reactor project has been dissolved and reassigned to other sections within the companies. The experiments in combining elemental synthesis with immediate fissile reactions has been terminated, and the multi-chamber and much more stabilized design of the Kengät has been offered to the combine as a model for mass production. Taking over the new department of Prototype Ship Construction is the Kengät's primary designer, also responsible for the initial proposals for the Civilian Vessel Reisläufer design, which took advantage of many new shipbuilding techniques that took advantage of advanced alloy's higher tensile strength to reduce the amount of space required for structural reinforcement and allow for more mission equipment in each vessel.

Continuing, this new department is working on theoretical surface-low-orbit constructions, utilizing traditional gravitic generators with new high-energy reactors on a perpendicular access to counteract shearing forces with a goal to create the largest revolution in logistics since the Drevner Driver Network was created....

Nano Engineering, which is honestly just a vote to do both Astro Engineering and Anti-Matter Fission. Apocrypha is ready and willing to build that space elevator. In a safe manner. Especially because of what I'm going to vote on Naval Expansion. If needed for a tiebreak, I'll just hop straight onto Astro Engineering.

Apocrypha Engineering, Marketing/Legal Division posted:

...a formal request to lift restrictions on sale and use of the following equipment currently restricted to military usage. Justification will follow in four seconds; first, as to how with further scientific advancement, the danger of these being used against us is negligible. Second, a comparison of equivalent systems that have been observed by our trading partners, indicating the unlikeliness of them representing an advancement on their ends. Third, projected revenue and profitability impact of the direct sales. Fourth, reports and rumors aggregated suggest these further alien species, with wide ranged of worst-and-best case scenarios for distribution of income and w illingneess to trade, with the added note that we are un likely to ever be in direct conflict with these longer-distance trading partners for logistical reasons...

Yea to both border access bribes. We need to find more trade partners; these are small prices to pay. We need to trade with everyone, and you can't do that without making a few deals that you might not have wanted, especially so long as we're being so protectionist about our own borders.

Hard Shields, and do we have any jammers? I think we picked some up via trade. Either way, I'll vote for more Shields over Jammers, and for the Logical computing project. Jammers can be nice, especially if you're deliberately over-engineering a ship for defense, but they're just a lower priority...

Abstain to Lilika's Raiders. We have more profitable manners of advancement, but the fic is nice, so II shall strike the bold pose of neutrality.

Two task forces should be commissioned, each with Four Battleships and Six Frigates, and Yay to the Tessin warship facilities. We should be starting to amass what we're going to fling at Orion; and also, we're going to have to consider what our mass drivers will be replaced with soon. They're getting a bit old, aren't they, and I think we're still a ways off from their upgrade.

Nay to star charting focus for LIIS. I feel like, for now, we have charting sufficient for the areas we expect to influence; insufficient value to judge risking our favor with such valuable economic partners.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
I'd not be so defensive about our own borders if not for the fact I'm assured that the AI will settle in systems we already have colonies in if we have open borders, heh.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

There's the "don't colonize near us" declaration, but I don't think there's a way to moderate the tone on this stuff. So there's no way to say "please don't do that," it's :fuckoff: or nothing. And we don't want to tell them :fuckoff: yet.

...well, I want to tell them :fuckoff: with a side of "nice planets you got there, GIMME" but I'm a belligerent warmonger who really likes the "build cool ships and then use them" portion of the game. :v:

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Totally live and let live, but giving that inch always ends in tears with the AI.

Speaking of which, is there any system scenario in which Darloks could be safely containerized and ignored? With a touch of :smug:
Dead end system, tiny, ultra-poor, massive counterespionage apparatus...

Reaching out to the Orion approaches puts us into a multi-front blockade and justifies all that shipbuilding. When the Antarans come knocking again are we going to have concentration of force to win there without also breaking our containment?
Still, it's useful to at least have a neighboring outpost with an independent race to include in the story.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

MechaCrash posted:

For the core thing, I'm not sure which conduits are unstable, and once you get the tech to traverse them, I think the game stops showing you which ones they are. Which I consider a bit of a problem, because "I don't have to worry about these guys crashing through this particular border yet" is handy.

As we can see on the new survey results, the game continues marking unstable conduits in red even after you have the tech to traverse them, at least when you're zoomed in far enough for the game to provide that information.

Since you appeared to think we might be able to find ways around, I have taken the liberty of creating a map with markups for political units, quadrant/core boundries, and conduits linking the quadrants and core (indicated by parallel red lines intersecting quadrant boundries). Our charts are complete enough that we know all the conduits between quadrants are the core save those linking the Far Quadrant where the Sakkra originated and the Driftward Quadrant where the Klackon originated. Borders marked with dashed lines are speculative, based on incomplete data.

E: This map marked up with political and quadrant boundries useful to people?

nweismuller fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Aug 10, 2021

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

nweismuller posted:

E: This map marked up with political and quadrant boundries useful to people?

Very.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

The map is quite useful, yes.

Because it lets me know who you should invade. Let's start with the humans because they have a small empire, then absorb the Meklars because they'll make good workers, then a quick jog down to the Sakkra because they're not too advanced and you can decapitate them by taking their home system quickly, which opens up a lovely pincer action so you can crush the Bulrathi from both sides, then eat the Klackon's lunch because you've been keeping them bottled up while you pulled ahead in technology and manufacturing power, but all of this goes out the window if we meet the Darloks in either of those unknown spaces because purging them from the galaxy in a storm of nuclear hellfire should always be Priority #1.

...or you could continue making deals, that also works. Unless you meet the Darloks, in which case I will immediately start calling for their eradication because, and I know I say this a lot but it cannot be said enough, gently caress those guys. :v:

MechaCrash fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jul 27, 2020

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
To help make the conduit connections clear, I have created node maps of the Local and Spinward Quadrants and of the core. These maps deliberately abstract away distance between systems in order to make conduit connections clearer.

The Local Quadrant

The Spinward Quadrant

The Core

I hope these, too, are useful to people.

Vee2003
Jul 12, 2018

"In retrospect, flying into the black hole may have been a tactical error."

Drevner Mass Drivers Executives posted:

Exec 1: This is a huge opportunity for us. We need to get on this naval expansion thing as soon as possible.
Exec 2: How hard do you think we should push this thing?
Exec 1: As hard as possible. Don't settle for anything less than two full fleets, and make sure they're the biggest fleets we can manage. We want them to be paying for guns for at least 5 battleships if we can swing it, and six frigates too if at all possible.
Exec 2: You don't think we're maybe overextending a little bit? Can we even fill that many orders?
Exec 1: It's fine, we'll get them to get new shipyards running on Teziz and we'll have all the production capability we need. Oh and... uhhh... there was one other thing...
Exec 2: Don't tell me... the chicken wants something.
Exec 1: Yeah. They're calling him Chancellor Clucksworth now. And apparently it's very important to him that we try and get these Sakkra goons hired. Supposedly they want them for something special.
Exec 2: That sounds a bit... ominous.
Exec 1: Tell me about it. One of the other execs protested over some of the stuff in the contract we're supposed to get them to sign, they fired him right away. Just like that. I saw him get escorted out yelling something about "Directive 77."
Exec 2: drat. I used to think this job was a great deal, but this deal is getting worse all the time...

Yes to two new naval task forces with five battleships and six frigates. Yes to Tessin naval construction. Yes to Lilka's Raiders.

Other votes... Galactic Economics for research. Sena for colonization. Yes to bribing for border access with UR and GOC. And yes to filling out charts with one LIIS team.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
That was extraordinarily silly, Vee2003. Silly indeed.

Vee2003
Jul 12, 2018

"In retrospect, flying into the black hole may have been a tactical error."
Since there was some understandable concern over what was going on with Drevner... >.>

LIIS Gamma Team debriefing posted:

Control: What's the word? Do we need to be concerned about what's going on with Drevner?
Observer: Someone should be, but probably not us. We brought in the executive that was recently axed and had a long chat with him about what's been going on. We were able to get the information we needed to tap all of the feeds in the CEO's office. We watched him for a while and concluded a mix of over the top drinking and constant holo-sims has him detached from reality. He probably needs some serious medical help. But no, he doesn't seem to be compromised by any foreign intelligence assets and the chicken appears to be just that, a chicken. ...someone should probably take it away from him.
Control: And this "Directive 77"?
Observer: Apparently a secret order that would have the raiders under contract march into the assembly and throw several thousand chicken eggs at everyone in attendance.
Control: ...I can see why that would upset someone. Well. Flag him for continued observation. If he doesn't self-correct, we'll direct medical attention their way and nudge someone competent in the company towards considering taking over.
Observer: Understood.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
This is starting to get a bit unwieldy.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

What is being done with the chicken is indeed quite silly.

Everybody knows that if you want a chicken to make you money, you have them working real estate.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

nweismuller posted:

I'd not be so defensive about our own borders if not for the fact I'm assured that the AI will settle in systems we already have colonies in if we have open borders, heh.

I mean, you could try and see what happens :v: The AI isn't always consistent about doing this, but my game mechanics guts tell me that with this galaxy type the AI will be an 'aggressive' colonizer because you're all penned up for a good while with usually just one neighbour in the same sector, and this leads to a wet cats in a bag - type situation real fast.

And on the other hand, as discussed upthread, there is the possibility for trying to negotiate for them to give up their freshly colonized world to you! They will usually ask for all the tech they can see on the table though, so your options here are not so great either. This does provide for a more... Civilized way of obtaining alien populations, however. I don't know what effect (if any) them sharing a system with you has on how they view these negotiations, sorry :(

Rappaport fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jul 28, 2020

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

On the other hand, if they colonize a planet in a system you already own, that just means the troop transports don't have to go as far. :getin:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Edit: Nevermind, possibly spoilery

Rappaport fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jul 28, 2020

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

BHSL financing and expansion planning meeting posted:

We've seen pitches for what advances in Astro Engineering can do for the world of logistics.
Particularly we already have the R&D department hard at work drawing up plans for mass driver cargo ports in orbit connected directly to a colony via space elevator. Currently the absolute biggest cost of shipping anything is lifting it out of a gravity well. A space elevator would drastically reduce this cost.
Further-

United Republic Damage Investigation posted:

Subject: Commercial Cargo Vessel Artemis
Cause: Collision with asteroid/debris.
Additional Information: Shield systems off-line due to nebula interference.

Voting for hard shields

-urther I would suggest a meeting with United Republic officials. They are still using conventional cargo ships over there. If we could obtain a license to operate mass driver ports in Republic space we can substantially expand our operations, while at the same time offering a lower cost option for Republic customers. I'm sure there's some patents we could license out in exchange. I suppose we need to find a diplomat who understands how Meklar thinks, and extend them the same deal.

Now, next point on the agen-

Yea to trading technology for access.

Nay to hiring Lilka's Raiders.

-nd make a note that check on our prefab stocks so that we can be ready to start up basic jump point cargo terminals in Niallar, Cygni, and Sena systems.
What? No I don't know, or care, which system is settled first. That's a problem for the Assembly.

Yea to securing the path to Orion.

Maximum amount of Navy expansion.

Last on the agenda, a new facility on Tessin.
Start drawing the plans for a logistics centre incorporating a space elevator as discussed earlier.
Make sure it's a modular design with room to expand. Convincing the Navy to subsidise construction in exchange for complete ready made facilities for a Tessin Shipyard.

"BHSL Astronavigation department posted:

-How's the updated charts coming?
-Nothing yet.
-drat! We need those, asap as the humans say!
-I think you're supposed to say it as A.S.A.P
-Whatever. What about our sources in the LIIS?
-Same as the others, nothing yet.
-Well, keep trying.

Yea to spying for charts.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
Just finished playing through the update. I'll try to put something together as an update in the next few days, although my sleep is currently a flaming mess, so I'm not comfortable making specific predictions.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

All-Republic News, headquartered in the city of Chelli, Nyu posted:

Millions breathed a sigh of relief today with the announcement that the Citizens' Council has concluded a peace treaty with the General Oversight Combine that governs the Meklars. The cybernetic aliens, who have been involved in an extended war with the Great Empire of Bulra, had occupied the Bulrathi Imperial colony on Tunyo (which they had named Korga), thereby eliminating Imperial military presence in the Elnen system. News of the treaty led to immediate gains on stock markets across the Global Republic, as investors anticipated that offworld trade would be able to resume.

All-Republic News, some years later posted:

In a brief ceremony today, the Citizens' Council offered formal greetings to Ambassador Chan Sluyt of the Universal Mercantile League, an alien government founded by the Gnolam species. A single armed vessel of the Universal Mercantile League' Navy carrying diplomatic contingents is present in our system, with permission of the General Oversight Combine. "I am delighted to be here on Nyu," said Ambassador Sluyt in a speech during the ceremony. "I, like many Gnolams, have long wanted to meet the Nyunyu, ever since we first heard of you through our friends in the General Oversight Combine. We have nothing but the highest hopes for continued Nyunyu prosperity."

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
With LIIS operations in the Sakkra nations and in Klackon space, the League has become aware of two other foreign interstellar powers, although the League has, as of yet, no direct contact with either and incomplete data on their species and societies. In the Far Quadrant, the so-called 'New Empire', a feudal monarchy ruled by a line of empresses, rules the carnivorous mammaloid Mrrshan of Yileria in the Fieras system, while the 'Star Empire of Altair', a centralised absolute monarchy, has been founded by the avian Alkari of the planet Alkar in the Altair system in the Driftward Quadrant. Without closer contact or more intelligence work, information on these two interstellar powers is likely to remain sketchy.

With this information, it can safely be asserted that of the thirteen known sapient species of the galaxy (assuming Antarans count as 'of the galaxy'), governmental organisations can be summarised as follows:

One totalitarian dictatorship (the State of Antares), one planetary population lacking any central authority or significant economic development (the Eldritch), five monarchic systems, either federal or unitary (the Great Empire of Bulra, the New Empire, the Star Empire of Altair, the Sakkra Nations, and the federation of Degonite kingdoms), three governments established around broadly republican principles (the Universal Mercantile League, the United Republic, and the Global Republic of Nyu), and three systems that are each highly unusual in their own ways (the General Oversight Combine, the High and Noble Order of the Masters of the Mysteries and Powers, and the Klackon).

nweismuller fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jul 30, 2020

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

nweismuller posted:

Without closer contact or more intelligence work, information on these two interstellar powers is likely to remain sketchy.
As long as its not within the realm of Darlok deceit to emulate another species until the fatal treaty is signed. Then, the artwork changes...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
What if we are the Darloks? :tinfoil:

In seriousness, though, now that we know who everybody is out there, any general thoughts by people on the various galactic powers?