Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

They say that he who dies with the most Opil wins.

I am winning.
Given recent revisions in forum rules, I have created a new Patreon page and linked it in the OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Diplomatic policy vote: I say go with the soviet bears, actually. Just from a game-play mechanics POV, you're shafted in a galaxy with unconstrained Meklar and the god drat bug people. Obviously the Gnolam are a peace-loving race who just want to make money friends, but sometimes one has to choose sides...

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

Rappaport posted:

Diplomatic policy vote: I say go with the soviet bears, actually. Just from a game-play mechanics POV, you're shafted in a galaxy with unconstrained Meklar and the god drat bug people. Obviously the Gnolam are a peace-loving race who just want to make money friends, but sometimes one has to choose sides...

Can you provide a threat analysis as to why we are shafted? Something for the Assembly to consider.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

nweismuller posted:

Can you provide a threat analysis as to why we are shafted? Something for the Assembly to consider.

There has been serious debate among the High Marshals of the Mercantile League's armed forces concerning the future possibilities of galactic conflict. Some Marshals feel that the Bulrathi represent a serious threat, given their militaristic society model and the fierceness of their ground combat teams. Others, however, have noted that while the Meklar have been friendly trade partners in the past, their unchecked expansion could lead to an economic power-house to rival even the League itself. There is consensus among the Marshals that the Klackon empire, with their raw breeding power, represent a massive threat to the League, given that their socio-economic model is very much at odds with the League's interests. In short, it seems inevitable in the mid-long term that the Galaxy will embroil itself in combats, to the death, between these various factions, and the League must be prepared to side with those empires whose values represent what the League considers most acceptable, while accounting for the fact that the economic prospects of long-term warfare seem, at the moment, to favour the empires of the Klackon and the Meklar, which will be detrimental to the League's essential goal of achieving the highest prosperity in the Galaxy. It would seem advantageous to set the most dangerous empires on bad footing with one another, while preparing the League's own defences and, if necessary, offensive maneuvers, distasteful as those are to commerce.

OOC answer The Meklar's "cybernetic" ability is hilariously broken in-game, and they will out-breed even the Klackon given enough time. And since the game is about amassing population, well... The Klackon are not as broken, but they will colonize everything they can set their many, many eyes upon, and this is also bad news. If we're going for the Nash victory condition, having either of these two races around for too long is bad for business. The AI isn't very good at the Nash victory, but just by sheer numbers, they can thwart an "underdog" race like the Gnolam.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
What is a "Nash victory"

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
I believe the reference is to an Economic Victory, given the achievement name for an economic victory as the Psilons is 'The Nash Ultimatum'.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

This is correct, sorry for being a bit coy there!

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

News All Day Network posted:

...a new financing deal announced today by Bortis Shipping and Logistics subsidiary Bortis Financial to assist Logical Computing with their next generation of dedicated business and scientific computing hardware. Logical CEO Harad Jolin said, "We anticipate that new high-density computing will provide a revolution in data handling and help render new scientific problems more tractable in the future." On news of the announcement...

Positronics

News All Day Network posted:

...a newly formed archaelogical corporation, ConfedTech Limited, has thrown its support behind the colonisation consortium being organised for the purpose of colonising the Lirr system. "Even despite the poor condition of the Orion artifacts in Lirr, we anticipate that the possible insights to be derived from their study may help in developing solid and marketable innovations," stated a ConfedTech public relations release. Surveying equipment for the new...

Lirr II

Nian Bortis, to the Assembly posted:

With the challenges presented by the Klackon, the League cannot afford military weakness. Although I continue to sincerely hope for peace, we must be prepared should the peace prove unable to endure. We will continue to present an example to the galaxy of a great League united in prosperity, in peace, in freedom, and in opportunity, but we will not present the temptation of weakness for those who would take that prosperity and opportunity for us. We too have taken on a responsibility towards the Degonites, who would be defenseless before the Klackon without our aid. With Gnolam aid perhaps the Degonites shall find their own prosperity, and we are obligated to continue to protect them so it may be so.

Military shipbuilding on Tessin, and maintain trade relations with the Klackon for as long as possible, but make no concessions and seek no closer relations.

Nian Bortis, to the Assembly posted:

Both the General Oversight Combine and the Great Empire of Bulra are, by our standards, unjust systems. That being said, we should not lightly cast aside our long-standing ties of trade and friendship with the General Oversight Combine, which also presents a significantly larger trading partner than the Great Empire of Bulra can possibly be. I advise that, although it may be unfortunate to deny relations to the Great Empire of Bulra, far better to favor the Combine than the Empire in this matter.

Diplomatically favor the Meklars over the Bulrathi.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
Research Proposals

SUBSPACE FIELDS - we need to protect what we have, not only from a potential rival, but from the marauding Antarians who can appear without any warning! We cannot allow another genocidal scouring of our colonies! Stronger shields will benefit not only our ships but more importantly our colonies and local fortifications.

Colonisation Proposals

No real vote, Liir II is fine for the additional research and I don't remember what the other potential sites offer

Tessin Shipbuilding

Naval - we need to have a good number of strong ships to slow down or stop any incursions by the Antarians even if we remain friendly with our neighbors

Diplomatic Policy

Empire of Bulra - while we have had a longer relationship with the Meklar, they are also a strong potential rival who I believe will rapidly gain ground on us if we continue to supply them technology and favorable economic support. As cold hearted as it seems, the Bulrathi, as a weaker and more distant race, are a better partner because of that weakness and distance. As well, helping the aggressive Bulrathi may improve their ability to distract and contain the Meklar from desiring to expand in our direction.

Hold the line against the Klackon - letting these naturally fecund, industrious, and expansionistic insects run riot across the galaxy is the purest folly. Consider making a strong diplomatic push with the other races to confront them as well!

Thanks for the updates!

Vee2003
Jul 12, 2018

"In retrospect, flying into the black hole may have been a tactical error."

-excerpt from Accord chat discussion- posted:

Tinker: No no no. You don't get it. It all looks infinite right now, but sooner or later we're going to run out of free real estate and then we're going to need to make the most out of what we got. And this is how we do that.
$keptic: By doing what? Are you just going to spit out some sort of green goo and it changes everything on the planet to be super perfect somehow? That's silly.
Tinker: You say that, but that's because we don't know how to do it yet. But it should be possible. Or something like it.
$keptic: Uh huh. Sure.
Tinker: Hey, we're going to need this sooner or later. And it might as well be sooner. So stop grouching and help me raise some support for once.
$keptic: Fine, fine. But next time I get to pick the goofy idea to support.
Tinker: Deal.

Transgenetics research.

Internal strategy meeting: Antaren Task Force posted:

Bulwark: Defensive preparations for the next attack are in place. We should be ready this time.
Scythe: We cannot know if we're ready when we cannot know the forces our enemy will bring against us.
Bulwark: We can make certain that whatever is sent against us is met with our full force.
Scythe: That will not be enough. Not in the long run. An ever escalating enemy that we can't strike back against? It's only a matter of time.
Bulwark: Then what would you propose?
Scythe: Find a way to strike back. We're not the first to fight the Antarens. We need to learn how they were stopped in the past. And that means we need more information.
Bulwark: .....Lirr II?
Scythe: Exactly.

Lirr II for colonization.

Meanwhile in the Drevner Mass Drivers CEO Penthouse posted:

Drirlan Drevner splashed water onto his face and shook his head. This whole sobriety thing was proving to be extremely unpleasant, and he found himself wondering how he had managed to survive so long in such a state before. But it had been impressed upon him that the company needed his leadership and that if he didn't clean himself up then an appropriate substitute would be found, and that was something he couldn't allow. So now here he was: Sober, clean, clear headed and focused on determining the most beneficial direction for his company to take. Clucksworth signaled his approval, before beginning to pontificate at length on the relative virtues of Drirlan's newfound alcohol free state, before finally concluding his praise with a suggestion that the two of them celebrate immediately by ordering more drinks.

This seemed like a fantastic idea, and he filed it away for later. But for the moment he had grand strategies to devise. War, it seemed, was coming. Possibly. Sooner or later. It was possible that war had taken a wrong turn somewhere and been delayed asking for directions, but it was still definitely probably coming. Most likely. And he needed his company to be ready. A number of different technological innovations and potential colonisation targets were under consideration by the league, but he was too busy processing things at the grand strategy level to be concerned by these minor questions.

The first priority, he decided, was to ensure that the Tessin Shipyards were dedicated to Naval shipbuilding. While colonization was good for the overall economic health of the league, colony ships continued to resist proposals to replace half their hull with mass drivers and this was problematic from a sales perspective. Naval ships were far more reliable customers, and thus they had to be the focus.

The other pressing concern was who to prepare to use the mass drivers on. There had been some whispers that perhaps the Meklar should be more actively restrained, but the more he thought about it the more this seemed like a rash course of action. The Meklar had remained peaceful neighbors and useful trading partners for quite some time, and it would be morally wrong to strike first under such conditions. Also they made the most excellent sugary drink mixes, and their adventure simulations were second to none. It was clear to him the Meklar should remain friends.

That was liable to cause difficulties with the Empire of Bulra, but their obvious belligerence marked them as problematic anyway. Their apparently warlike nature, their territorialism, their obsession with nature and their awful selection of importable drinks all pointed to one conclusion: If things went south between them and the Meklar they would have to side with the Meklar.

But before that happened, there was one more potential conflict: The Klackon. They had been expanding far too quickly for comfort and settling too close to league worlds. They were taking too much territory, breeding too quickly. And their hive clusters were far too capable of buying up all the collectors editions of the newest sims. It was madness. They didn't even have the technology to use them. They were buying them up just to annoy him and then force him to pay higher prices to them to get what he needed. It was unacceptable. They had to be stopped. A line had to be drawn in the sand. Or perhaps, as Clucksworth helpfully suggested, constructed out a line of immaculately polished empty liquor bottles. Yes. Yes, that would be the most elegant solution.

Clucksworth applauded the clarity of his reasoning, and he nodded in satisfaction as he finalized the strategies his company would push for. As difficult as it was, he had managed to regain his sobriety. And that was an accomplishment he could drink to.

Tessin Naval Shipyard
Favorable to Meklar/Unfavorable to Bulrathi
Line of immaculately polished liquor bottles in the sand against the Klackon.

Glaive-Guisarme
Jun 8, 2020

Polearms, everywhere.
Yaaaay, updates! It has been too long. Now LET US EXPAND.

[Technology]

Research Project, Mercury River Postmorterm posted:

"...thought we were past things like this. The 'drone makes a smaller drone' idea wasn't meant to be carried out to this level. And the designation for available materials needs to be restricted. On a subatomic scale, an electron is an electron, and accidentally transmuting the alloys of your workbay resulted in a cascade of effects. ...On the other hand, your laboratory's safety and emergency measures are to be commended as far outpacing your predecessor. Still, for the moment, Mercury River is suspended until we have a better understanding both of how the subatomic assemblers can affect the materials around them...but more importantly...

Your laboratory's reactor budget has been exceeded by 83%. Your reactor time is suspended for the next two years. Please assist and aid other teams and focus on theoretical designs over this time period. Initiative 'Evert' is likely to benefit from your expertise...

Nano Technology. I think we're going to want to build a lot of ships soon; and this is the way to go for that. Furthermore, my biggest worry military-wise is us not being where we need to be; better drives is the way for that.

[Colonizing]

Apocrypha Shipyards, Colonizing Branch posted:

"...including new self-starting reactor blueprints! Promising 35% savings or more to Entrepreneurs interested in high-energy requirement industries on their new planetoid, along with a decisive and unmatched first-mover advantage. Warning; all reactors are provided with only enough base material for a single self-starting reaction. In the event that a total shutdown is required, the usual sub-critical precursors must be obtained and processed. Blueprints only available for mission to Lirr II, aboard our own Apocrypha-engineered and staffed ship, for safety and liability reasons. All legal risks in flight are assumed by Apocrypha. Third-party engineers shall determine if the cause for shutdown of any self-starting reactors are with Apocrypha's design or with maintenance and fueling irregularities...

Lirr II is a good place to go. We're running out of the great worlds; so looking more at strategic value now.

[Tessin]

Apocrypha Engineering, Replication Division posted:

"...Not a matter of the best ship anymore. We won't match Drevner's drivers, Rainbow's computer's, Stollen's sensors....no. We're going to use the Mercury River prototypes in a VERY limited fashion for the exotic materials. Even if we lose fabbers, it's still a win. And we'll turn out their designs. Let someone else play the design game. We're selling ships. Warships. The time is coming, and it's coming soon."

Naval is where we're going. I feel like the Klackon are moving towards the lost-cause column; we need to be ready for military conflict, even if we don't go invade them.

[Diplomacy]

Archives, Data Analysis posted:

"...show a clear and consistent history of peaceful interaction. ...Unfortunate for choices to be made, but even if their actions are wrong, it should not be our policy to get involved. We should prepare to allow for refugee emigration and placement on new colonies, but not aggravate our important existing ties..."

Meklar shall be favored, based on our long history. Also, as a whole, we should be raising our military strength further here. The Klackon grow more and more aggressive; why, I can tll they're just *aching* for our minerals. We must be prepared!

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
I need a tiebreaker between Astro Biology and Subspace Fields, from somebody who has not voted for one of those two.

Glaive-Guisarme
Jun 8, 2020

Polearms, everywhere.
While we are sad at the lack of grey goo, since a tie is needed to be broken - let's support BIG MEAT and develop some Astrobiology for more food. We'll get the Gauss Cannons soon, but that jingle really is sticking with me.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
All right, let me play through this one and capture the images needed.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

In OIR 2267, CE 2675, the Universal Mercantile League is presented with a decision of momentous importance. The General Oversight Combine, which the Assembly has already committed to support in principle over the Great Empire of Bulra, has come seeking a formal declaration of war by the UML upon the Great Empire of Bulra. Although the Assembly could decline participation, the General Oversight Combine has provided a financial incentive package backed up with basic retargeting technology for ship to ship missiles.

The Assembly has a choice before it. Shall it break the League's long position of peace with other galactic powers, even if such a break is largely a formality?

Nian Bortis argues that the League's position of peace is not] one that should be easily traded away, and suggests that the Assembly should turn down this proposal.

Please vote for or against this proposal. I'll close this vote relatively quickly, since I can't really close the game running in the background until I accept or deny the proposal.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
The Alkari Creation Myth

Before all, there was Nothing, and all was still. And then the Universe dreamed that She might be. And in Her dreaming She birthed Her own egg from whence She hatched. And, in the flush of Her new life, She pierced Her belly with the talons of Her hand and brought forth eggs quickened by Her own blood. And from these eggs were born the countless stars, and She looked upon all that She had birthed. And in time the stars, Her sons and daughters, bore new eggs, and mortal life came to be. And the Universe was content with the heavens in their turnings.

The Universe came to see that mortals were not content, but filled with suffering, and She was filled with sorrow. And dark ages passed as She wept. Then She saw whereby She might show Her love and compassion unto Her mortal descendants. She sought the star that was wisest of Her sons, noble Orion, and with Orion She espoused Herself. And the eggs She laid sired by Orion, though in appearance like unto mortal lives, were taught and filled with the wisdom and holiness of their parents. And the Sons and Daughters of Orion were raised in holy purpose by the Universe. From Orion they flew on wings of steel and brass and fire, and they brought wisdom to all they met, and raised them from suffering, and reigned in justice and splendor. And the descendants of the Universe did live in peace and in contentment for an age.

But not all of the Universe's sons were content. Brooding Antares burned with envy for noble Orion, so favored by the Universe Herself. And by cunning and guile did Antares take the guise of Orion and lay with the Universe. And the eggs then laid he spirited away and taught in his own fashion, raised in hate and bitterness. And these Sons and Daughters of Antares did rise against the Sons and Daughters of Orion in a mighty host, and war engulfed the heavens, and countless stars were drowned in blood.

It was at this time that the Sons and Daughters of Orion came forth unto Altair, and unto the Alkari there they spoke: "Rise, O Sons and Daughters of Altair. Rise and take up the Sword of Justice, that you may fight for the right. Take upon you this holy duty as we ourselves took up our holy duty in our time." And the Alkari hearkened to the call of the Sons and Daughters of Orion, took up the sword and the spear, and were borne on the wings of steel and brass and fire into the heavens of battle. And for eight generations the Alkari spent their blood in service of the Holy Cause.

And when these generations had passed, and the palaces of the Sons and Daughters of Orion laid almost all in flames, and the blood of the Alkari was almost spent to the last drop, the last of the strength of the Sons and Daughters of Antares lay broken and Antares himself lay bare before the judgement of his Mother and of his brother Orion. And the Universe decreed that Antares should be cast out with all his remaining children into the Nothing from which She first was born. And it was so.

And with the war completed and with their blood spilled across the heavens, those Sons and Daughters of Orion who yet remained wept within the ruins of their palaces of gold and marble. For though they had taken their holy duty willingly, yet the pain of war had broken their spirit and their dead were beyond the count of their grief. And they begged their Mother than She have mercy upon them and take from them the duty She had laid upon them. And the Universe in Her compassion bore them to Her bosom to dwell in secret places in peace.

And so mortals were left alone as once they were, without the wisdom which the Universe had granted to the Sons and Daughters of Orion. But yet we, the Alkari, remember the Sons and Daughters of Orion and their sacred teachings, and we have not yet renounced the Holy Duty to take up the Sword of Justice and fight for the right. Where the Sons and Daughters of Orion brought a peace through their wisdom, let us ensure a peace through our strength. Though we yet dwell alone under the eye of Altair, still other mortals must have been the eggs of other stars who yet dwell in suffering and darkness. If we forge a peace that none will disturb, perhaps the hearts of the Sons and Daughters of Orion will be refreshed, and they will return to their duty in gladness and bring their wisdom to mortals once again, and bring again a new age of holy peace.

nweismuller fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Sep 26, 2020

Glaive-Guisarme
Jun 8, 2020

Polearms, everywhere.
Refuse. To favor them is one thing; however, this is a matter of what our purpose is. Are we mercantilists, seeking to own all we can in this galaxy? Then this price is too cheap. Technology we can acquire elsewhere, and not even a year's worth of income to betray our trading partner. Are we pacifists? Then what aggression have the Bulrathi committed against us? Are we opportunists? Then what will we gain from this war? What systems, what advantages - or is it merely that the Meklar will take them all for themselves, and we would never even have the opportunity to seize a planet?

They offer us nothing more then 'positive relations'. But this is irrelevant. We have goods that the Meklars desire. This was true before, and will be true later. We can say 'no' and they will not stop trading with us. We have not been offered enough to choose war, regardless of any other principles. Save our military strength for those who might be actual threats to us, like the Klackon.

Vee2003
Jul 12, 2018

High Level Operatives Meeting posted:

Rapier: Thoughts on the current predicament?
Gauntlet: They want us backing them up bad. They're offering very nearly everything they have from the looks of it.
Cleaver: They're asking for our help. They took heavy losses last time. This time it might be even worse for them.
Scythe: But if we join in, doesn't that mean it will could be worse for us too?
Gauntlet: Perhaps. But if we don't help we're going to suffer some fallout anyway, and if we stay on the sidelines now and the Bulra end up winning this fight...
Rapier: Say we do agree and do get involved. Just how much are we going to be on the line for?
Cleaver: It depends how it goes. We might be able to get by mostly by helping them shore up their defenses and let them handle any offensive pushes. If we're lucky we might not even need to commit too many forces.
Scythe: But if we're unlucky...
Gauntlet: We're going to be unlucky sooner or later. The Bulrathi aren't going to play nice. This only ends with either them broken or the Meklar broken. Frankly, I'd rather have the Meklar come out on top.
Cleaver: Let's just focus on helping them protect their people. We can not overcommit too much, help protect our ally. And maybe put our forces through some live fire to get them ready for whatever else might come.
Scythe: I still think there's too many threats, but if you really think this is the best plan I won't stop you.
Rapier: There will be resistance among parts of the league.
Cleaver: Then convince them! It's the right decision and you know it.
Gauntlet: We'll give it our best shot. That's all we can do.

Voting Yes on accept the Meklar offer.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Hmph. About as aggressive as Pirates and Antarans. That doesn't bode well.
Should we check in and see if their neighbors could use some economic assistance while we quickly grab our network of chokepoints.

I wonder what each empire's tipping point is? Some are already bottled up and the leadership is eventually going to visibly foam at the mouth.

Vote: No
(it was always no, just varying degrees of thought added during edits, which I suppose counts as befuddled while drinking from a flask during the official vote tally)

War consumes resources we'd far rather use for other purposes. If we're going to get sucked into one of these, we should have our plan ready to capitalize on it. We should enter the space only to occupy the systems we need geopolitically and be able to hold them against all comers on day 1.

Xlorp fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Sep 26, 2020

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

nweismuller posted:

Please vote for or against this proposal. I'll close this vote relatively quickly, since I can't really close the game running in the background until I accept or deny the proposal.

Go for it. Refusing just pisses the cybermen off and you won't see a return coming any time soon. Especially since the League can't actually reach the soviet bears at this time anyway?

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
In a close vote, the Assembly votes for intervention. Continuing to play through update.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
Naval Defeat over Eglein 'not a complete disaster', According to League Spokespeople

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Aw, there was a narrow window to finally get some "let's go gently caress poo poo up" action and I missed it? Oh well, at least "dunk on those suckers" carried the day.

Not that you're surprised which way I jumped, I've been saying to go invade fuckers from day one. :v:

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
The Bulrathi and the Great Empire of Bulra

The Bulrathi are omnivorous, warm-blooded mammaloids native to the Val-like planet of Bulra. Although Bulrathi are not the tallest major spacefaring race of the galaxy, being shorter than Sakkra and only marginally taller than Humans, they nonetheless possess immense physical strength, evolved in response to the intense gravity of Bulra, which is both larger and richer in heavy metals deposits than Val. Their dense, ropy musculature is anchored on bones with such a high iron content that the Bulrathi skeleton is red; the high iron content renders their bones remarkably resilient and durable. This physical strength, combined with better reflexes than seen in Sakkra, can make Bulrathi infantry quite formidable in ground combat, fielding what would be considered crew-served support weapons by other races as standard infantry armament and wearing thicker armor plating as standard. These advantages have nonetheless not been sufficient to prevent them from slowly losing territory to the General Oversight Combine in the recent war.

The native Bulrathi government which led their expansion to the stars is the Great Empire of Bulra, although a portion of the Bulrathi population is now under General Oversight Combine occupation. The Great Empire of Bulra is a militaristic monarchy dominated by an Emperor with no legal check on his powers. The Emperor's power is then supported by the three pillars of the military aristocracy, the so-called 'Hag Church', and the economic and technical expertise of the Empire's freeman class. The military aristocracy provides skilled leadership for the Imperial Armada and the Imperial Army, their own economic power relying on control over unskilled and semi-skilled serf populations that make up over half the Imperial population. The Hag Church, which consists of a network of female 'wise women' led by a single Hag considered to have achieved great age and wisdom, provides spiritual and ideological support to the Empire and is the officially enforced state religion. The spiritual beliefs of the Hag Church focus on the concept of 'harmony with nature', and teach a fundamentally animistic worldview in which the natural forces of life are all infused with their spirits. Alhough many of the wise women of the Hag Church serve directly under members of the aristocracy, others provide spiritual guidance and comfort to serf and freeman populations. The freemen of the Empire occupy a precarious position between the aristocracy and the serf class with few consistent legal protections. Nonetheless, as a pragmatic matter, the Empire's aristocracy has found that maintaining advanced technology and modern trade networks has not been suitable for serf populations, and so the freeman class endures- and, at times, even achieves a degree of wealth and success.

The Great Empire's history of conflict against the General Oversight Combine has seen it slowly driven back from its height, and today the Great Empire of Bulra fights for its continued existence against Meklar armies and fleets.

The Bulrathi have the traits +50% Ground Combat Rating, Ecologist, High Gravity Homeworld, Large Homeworld, and Rich Homeworld. High Gravity Homeworld not only makes the Bulrathi homeworld high-G, it also renders them immune to penalties for high-G worlds, although they suffer modest penalties on normal-G worlds. Increased ground combat rating is pretty self-explanatory, but is notably a LARGE boost to ground combat strength. Ecologist has no lasting effects in the current build, but grants Biology research for free once Space Travel is researched. In older builds before pollution mechanics were changed, it reduced pollution as well.

nweismuller fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Oct 17, 2021

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
The Alkari and the Star Empire of Altair

The Alkari, the native sapient species of the Val-like planet of Alkar in the Altair system, are avianoids capable of limited natural gliding flight, who lay and incubate eggs singly in their reproductive cycle. Their native flight capability is matched by a brain structure unmatched amongst other species for visualising three-dimensional movement and spatial relationships; they are superb pilots both for atmospheric and void flight, and have long since developed specialised acceleration compensation drugs which allow them to maintain higher extended accelerations than other species with similar gravitational compensation capabilities. Alkari precision flight maneuvers can only be matched by the rarest of pilots of other species. The planet of Alkar still hosts Orion Confederation-era relics, which are conserved and preserved by the Alkari church, which is dedicated to worship of the Orions and of the universe itself, which is conceived as a creator-goddess figure.

The Alkari are united by the Star Empire of Altair, which they view as the inheritor of the legacy of the Orions and subject to the duty once laid upon the Alkari by the Orions to fight against injustice and evil. The Star Empire is a bureaucratic administrative empire, with the Emperor at the head of the Fleet and the civil service, with his power counterbalanced by the authority of the church. There is little strong aristocracy remaining in the Empire, and the general population has long since been cemented as free subjects beneath the crown. Alkari corporations are formally chartered by the crown, and the economy remains dominated by Imperial industrial policy, with relatively limited economic competition. The tax burden is relatively high and social mobility is low, but the 'benevolent initiatives' of the crown and of the church serve to mitigate the harshness of poverty for the least fortunate of the Star Empire's subjects. Alkari culture is animated by concepts of honor and duty, and Alkari religion and culture celebrate the concept of 'necessary self-sacrifice'.

The Star Empire, for the moment, maintains a precarious peace with the Klackon, who share their quadrant, but diplomatic pressures have been steadily mounting between the Star Empire and the Klackon. Whether the peace can long endure is an open question.

The Alkari have the traits of Natural Pilots, Large Homeworld, and Artifacts Homeworld. Artifacts Homeworld simply adds the Artifacts special for 2 extra RP per turn on their homeworld. Natural Pilots improves their Beam Defense by 50%, Beam Attack by 25%, strategic speed by 25%, and combat speed by 25%, giving them major advantages in space combat.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

nweismuller posted:

Colonisation Proposals

Promising worlds are available for colonisation in the Taurio, Baalbo, Biots, Montone, and Azimon systems. Lirr II, although resource-poor still has remnants of Confederation-era ruins, a moon with some valuable resources, and a position that will allow exploitation of a new asteroid belt, as well as pushing League borders forward.

Propose where to colonise next. I can remind people of the exact contents of the systems mentioned if needed.

Although the UML has made great gains in expanding into the Core, it is experiencing real competition from the General Oversight Combine, and it is possible that Klackon aggression shall break the League's long peace. For now, at least, Gnolam peace and prosperity endure, and there are hopes that it shall continue to endure.

Lirr II for assimilation now. I sure wish we had the fleets to immediately secure Brachium and Chort to cordon off the whole core for leisurely integration.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
The Mrrshan and the New Empire

The Mrrshan are mammaloids native to the dry garden planet of Yileria in the Fieras system, whose civilisation centers around the fertile rainy valleys surrounding the small landlocked seas of Yileria, with the deep inland deserts only thinly-populated. Like the Gnolams, the Mrrshan are technically omnivores; unlike the Gnolams, who are almost entirely herbivorous, the Mrrshan are almost entirely carnivores, although they can digest some grains. They have keen eyesight, excellent reflexes, and still-strong hunting instincts which are exploited in military games, training projects, and an active dueling culture, and the Mrrshan produce the finest sharpshooters, small unit leaders, and special forces in the galaxy, recruited from a population that views military service as a mark of honor. They can be skilled and clever negotiators, when they maintain the patience for continued diplomatic engagement, and subtle command of language is highly prized amongst them.

The New Empire is the second monarchy to unite Yileria, re-uniting the planet after an interregnum following the collapse of what is now called the 'Old Empire' amongst the Mrrshan. It is a federation of monarchic states, loosely united beneath the Hrrsh dynasty of Empresses which themselves loosely govern their own people. Although Mrrshan monarchies maintain networks of landholding aristocracy, the relations between the aristocracy and the commoners amongst the Mrrshan are fluid, held in line by a general population which historically will not hesitate to revolt against abusive or unjust rulers. Mrrshan are slow to forget grudges, a trait which fueled many destructive wars over the course of their history, and which brought Yileria to the brink of thermonuclear annihilation after the collapse of the Old Empire. The Hrrsh dynasty made use of diplomatic coalition-building and precision strikes to re-unite the feuding nations of Yilera, using precision airstrikes and sabotage operations to disable ICBM launch silos before full-scale nuclear war was unleashed. Once the Hrrsh dynasty united Yileria, the peace and justice they helped maintain allowed the Mrrshan to head to the stars. Economic power is widely dispersed amongst commoners and the aristocracy, with a generally market-oriented economy, although the corporate form is relatively uncommon amongst the Mrrshan. Military service is widely spread through a population that violently rejects the concept of forced servitude, and Mrrshan armies are both very large in proportion to their population and of excellent quality.

The New Empire has been fighting a slowly losing war against the Sakkra Nations, struggling to make headway against the sheer weight of Sakkra population. The New Empire is, in the modern day, the least populous of the starfaring powers of the galaxy and the one with the smallest economy, overburdened by the ongoing cost of war. For now, the New Empire endures, although how long it can do so remains to be seen.

The Mrrshan have the Improved Negotiations, Warlord, Plains Dweller, and Militarist traits. Improved Negotiations makes it more likely other races accept proposals made by the Mrrshan, making them the second-best diplomats in the galaxy, next to the Humans. Warlord improves their ground combat rating by 50%, making them as formidable in ground combat as the Bulrathi, and increases the number of defensive military units supported by ground garrisons on their planets. Plains Dweller starts them on an Arid rather than Terran world, but allows them to terraform Arid planets into Grassland planets that are more hospitable than Terran planets. Militarist, finally, grants them Engineering as a technology once they research Space Travel, and increases the rate at which defensive marines are trained by 50%.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
With contact with the Great Empire of Bulra, the Star Empire of Altair, and the New Empire, the Universal Mercantile League now has contact with all other starfaring races of the known galaxy. A question now presents itself- what starfaring powers appear to be most culturally and ideologically-congenial to the Universal Mercantile League. Which other races are most admired by the general populace, and which do the Assembly consider the most acceptable neighbors? Please feel free to discuss this amongst yourselves.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

So obvious :blastu: :supaburn: suggestions aside, the Bulrathi and Klackon look like they're going to be the most trouble. The Bulrathi seem the type to pick fights, and the Klackon aren't necessarily hostile per se, but they're naturally productive powerhouses that spread quickly and need more space. Their expansionistic tendencies have already caused some friction, and it's only a matter of time before that friction sparks into an open war.

We're already bros with the Humans and Meklar, and while the Meklar ability to build poo poo makes them a threat, they aren't eyeballing us yet. Since open war with the Klackons is a matter of when and not if, hopefully we can make nice with them while taking over Klackon space and having those guys in our empire to make poo poo for us, helping us achieve manufacturing parity (if not supremacy because there's so drat many of us).

The Mrrshan are basically hosed. They are not relevant to us unless they ask us to go to war against the Sakkra, which I assume there is no interest in doing and any such proposals would be rejected out of hand, especially since they would need to be super desperate to get some empire they only recently met to try and declare war on their behalf.

We're on pretty good terms with the Sakkra, I think? So we can just keep on trucking with them as normal, although I don't know how hungry they're going to get for new planets. They may decide to start some poo poo, but probably not with us, because they know it won't end well.

The Alkari look like they are super dangerous in a fight and not someone we want to mess with unless we can bring way more and/or better ships to bear. If things between them and the Klackons go south, however, then what I would do is wait to see which way the wind is blowing, and then start eating the winner from the other direction. Once we chew through them, we have the loser for dessert. But, of course, that is a long term goal that requires a somewhat more militaristic approach to the game. :v:

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

nweismuller posted:

You can buy it via gog.com, download it, and you're good to go.
Score!!!

Master of Orion: Collector's Edition
$ 49.99 $ 19.99

DISCOUNT – 20200925 WEEKEND SALE $ 30.00

Order total: $ 19.99

Master of Orion Classic
Master of Orion 2
Master of Orion 3
Master of Orion (3 DLCS added)

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

Xlorp posted:

Score!!!

Hey, cool! I hope the game gives you much enjoyment!

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
Well, as there's been limited discussion thus far on the topic of opinion towards the various powers we've met, let's narrow it down- how do people think the four great interstellar monarchies- the Sakkra Nations, the Great Empire of Bulra, the New Empire, and the Star Empire of Altair- compare against each other as societies? All have established hereditary monarchic rule, which contrasts them fairly sharply with the generally republican ideals extant in the Universal Mercantile League or the United Republic. It's likewise fairly obvious that the United Republic is very high up on the list of interstellar states ideologically congenial to the UML, and one with a very long history of shared friendship. But although those four great interstellar monarchies contrast, they nonetheless have reasonably significant differences between them- how would you evaluate those?

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
Economic statistics, as of 2250

Gross Galactic Product (of interstellar colonial powers; economic product of single-planet species not part of interplanetary species excluded): ~25.692 quadrillion credits
Galactic Population (excluding single-planet species): ~744 billion persons
GGP per capita: ~34,900 credits

Universal Mercantile League
GDP: ~8.459 quadrillion credits
Population: ~118 billion persons
GDP per capita: ~71,690 credits

General Oversight Combine
GDP: ~3.653 quadrillion credits
Population: ~119 billion persons
GDP per capita: ~30,700 credits

The Klackon
GDP: ~3.315 quadrillion credits
Population: ~109 billion persons
GDP per capita: ~30,410 credits

United Republic
GDP: ~3.169 quadrillion credits
Population: ~82 billion persons
GDP per capita: ~38,650 credits

Sakkra Nations
GDP: ~2.756 quadrillion credits
Population: ~81 billion persons
GDP per capita: ~34,020 credits

Star Empire of Altair
GDP: ~2.737 quadrillion credits
Population: ~79 billion persons
GDP per capita: ~34,650 credits

Great Empire of Bulra
GDP: ~960 trillion credits
Population: ~37 billion persons
GDP per capita: ~25,950 credits

New Empire
GDP: ~640 trillion credits
Population: ~24 billion persons
GDP per capita: ~26,670 credits

nweismuller fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Sep 27, 2020

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

nweismuller posted:

Well, as there's been limited discussion thus far on the topic of opinion towards the various powers we've met, let's narrow it down- how do people think the four great interstellar monarchies- the Sakkra Nations, the Great Empire of Bulra, the New Empire, and the Star Empire of Altair- compare against each other as societies? All have established hereditary monarchic rule, which contrasts them fairly sharply with the generally republican ideals extant in the Universal Mercantile League or the United Republic. It's likewise fairly obvious that the United Republic is very high up on the list of interstellar states ideologically congenial to the UML, and one with a very long history of shared friendship. But although those four great interstellar monarchies contrast, they nonetheless have reasonably significant differences between them- how would you evaluate those?

From the Guild's ideological perspective, the Sakkra are... Sort of gross, since the in-game lore states that their emperor is in fact the parent of a vast majority of their citizenry, because that's how Sakkra decide who breeds. This seems like a very un-equal society. The Bulrathi society seems to value militaristic ideals, and respects personal strength, but is that so dissimilar from the Guild respecting those who can turn a great deal through guile and wit? The kitty-cats are, well, kitty-cats, opportunistic and probably not the best at long-term planning, which seems like a bad trading partner to me. The bird people are conservative and religious, which should at least in theory mean they're reliable slash honourable when it comes to diplomacy, and would be open to trade with the Guild, even if they internally might consider us heinous heretics. The obvious other side of that particular coin is that if the Guild offends the birds somehow, they will probably not be quick to forgive.

General game chit-chat, it's funny how much the 'creature' design of some of the races changed between MoO1, MoO2 and New MoO. The Mrrshan began as... Well-endowed females, in MoO2 they were a very masculine Kzinti-type deal, and here we are back to the lady cats. The birds started out as haughty falcons, then they were pterodactyls in MoO2, and now they're back to haughty falcons, voiced very nicely by Luke Skywalker himself. The Bulrathi were always big bear things, I guess, but in this game in particular I like their general aesthetic, and while the Russian accent is kinda ehh, they're very distinct and that's a good game design choice, IMO. The galaxy of the LP doesn't contain the Silicoid people, but they too had a similar-lish arc as the Mrrshan, the MoO2 Silicoids looked very different from the first game, whereas in this game their ambassador at least looks like an up-dated version of the MoO1 Silicoid.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Rappaport posted:

General game chit-chat, it's funny how much the 'creature' design of some of the races changed between MoO1, MoO2 and New MoO. The Mrrshan began as... Well-endowed females, in MoO2 they were a very masculine Kzinti-type deal, and here we are back to the lady cats. The birds started out as haughty falcons, then they were pterodactyls in MoO2, and now they're back to haughty falcons, voiced very nicely by Luke Skywalker himself. The Bulrathi were always big bear things, I guess, but in this game in particular I like their general aesthetic, and while the Russian accent is kinda ehh, they're very distinct and that's a good game design choice, IMO. The galaxy of the LP doesn't contain the Silicoid people, but they too had a similar-lish arc as the Mrrshan, the MoO2 Silicoids looked very different from the first game, whereas in this game their ambassador at least looks like an up-dated version of the MoO1 Silicoid.

Yes, NuMOO deliberately went for MOO1 aesthetics over MOO2's.
Likewise the Psilons always had a big grey head, but they have four arms in MOO1 vs. two in MOO2, they're back to four-armed in CTS.
The Darloks had a Dark Mage/Jawa deal in MOO1 (hoods showing only darkness and glowing eyes) while MOO2 gave them a scaly face. CTS admittedly eludes the issue by giving them a face-concealing veil.
Of course for Elerian, Trilarian, and the stars of this LP the Gnolams, as well as the Antarans, there's only MOO2 as a reference.
The Klakons are more ambugous. That was a typo but I'm leaving it in because it amuses me. They've always been ants, of course. In MOO1 they had a slight tinge of praying mantis or damselfly to their head. In MOO2 they have a fully ant-like head, the most antlike they've ever been. In MOO3 they're some sort of ant/spider/mantis mix. In CTS they kind of have a drider look, at least for the queen. The advisor is more like a maggot with legs. Both have a humanoid facial structure.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

Rappaport posted:

From the Guild's ideological perspective, the Sakkra are... Sort of gross, since the in-game lore states that their emperor is in fact the parent of a vast majority of their citizenry, because that's how Sakkra decide who breeds.

As I've decided how to present things, I've kept Sakkra fertility and emphasis on family lines while walking back stuff that implies a single individual is the father of literally billions, for the sake of my own sense of plausibility. But the Sakkra society is basically 'space thuggery' writ large.

Cat Mattress posted:

Yes, NuMOO deliberately went for MOO1 aesthetics over MOO2's.
Likewise the Psilons always had a big grey head, but they have four arms in MOO1 vs. two in MOO2, they're back to four-armed in CTS.
The Darloks had a Dark Mage/Jawa deal in MOO1 (hoods showing only darkness and glowing eyes) while MOO2 gave them a scaly face. CTS admittedly eludes the issue by giving them a face-concealing veil.
Of course for Elerian, Trilarian, and the stars of this LP the Gnolams, as well as the Antarans, there's only MOO2 as a reference.
The Klakons are more ambugous. That was a typo but I'm leaving it in because it amuses me. They've always been ants, of course. In MOO1 they had a slight tinge of praying mantis or damselfly to their head. In MOO2 they have a fully ant-like head, the most antlike they've ever been. In MOO3 they're some sort of ant/spider/mantis mix. In CTS they kind of have a drider look, at least for the queen. The advisor is more like a maggot with legs. Both have a humanoid facial structure.

The Darloks in MoO1, I'm pretty sure, were specifically referencing nazgul/evil spirits, complete with rune-etched sword for their military advisor in MoO1. There's a reason their home star is 'Nazin'. If you look under their robes in MoO1, they look rather... immaterial.

nweismuller fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Sep 27, 2020

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

His Imperial Majesty's Homeworld Defense Force Incident Report Summary posted:

Following the resolution by His Imperial Majesty to settle the insurrection in the city of Pooreeth through offering concessions and amnesty to the rebel leaders, an order was issued to Homeworld Defense units to stand down to prevent further escalation of the conflict. 15th, 18th, and 21st Battalions stood down as ordered. Warden Ariaa of 20th Battalion, however, ignored these orders and moved troops into Pooreeth to secure the central governmental district and police precinct headquarters, breaking rebel lines in the process. Once in control of the governmental district, Warden Ariaa issued orders to begin evacuation of the police, judicial staff, civil servants, and priests, along with any unarmed members of the civil populace who joined the evacuation. Bomb and sniper attacks against the 20th continued to inflict casualties during the evacuation process, while the 20th returned fire, killing rebels and further inflaming rebel sentiment contrary to His Imperial Majesty's wishes. After two days the 20th withdrew in good order, having achieved the objectives presented by Warden Ariaa. Following these provocations the rebels proved unreceptive to communications, at which point the 15th, 18th, 20th, and 21st were ordered back into the city. After six more days the city was pacified at the cost of the lives of both rebels and loyal members of His Imperial Majesty's Homeworld Defense Forces.

It is the finding of this inquiry that the actions of Warden Ariaa, although motivated by a desire to protect His Imperial Majesty's servants in the local government from imminent death at the hands of rebels, nonetheless constitute the crimes of insubordination and dereliction of duty. Save His Imperial Majesty issue a pardon we therefore order that Ariaa be stripped of rank of Warden and of position in the Homeworld Defense Force and be struck from all honors due her. In the sight of the Sons and Daughters of Orion may she be known as one who turned away from duty.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

nweismuller posted:

As I've decided how to present things, I've kept Sakkra fertility and emphasis on family lines while walking back stuff that implies a single individual is the father of literally billions, for the sake of my own sense of plausibility. But the Sakkra society is basically 'space thuggery' writ large.

Oh yes, for sure, even without the breeding... Issue, the Sakkra are basically portrayed as the Sopranos of the galaxy, so to speak. Which is sort of funny, since usually you actually can become quite good friends with them diplomatically and through trade, and they seem less prone to just randomly decide to declare war on the player. They will, however, quite merrily drag you into their wars with other AIs, the dang scaly scamps :argh: On comparison, the Sakkra in MoO2 were way, way scarier.

Vee2003
Jul 12, 2018

nweismuller posted:

It is the finding of this inquiry that the actions of Warden Ariaa, although motivated by a desire to protect His Imperial Majesty's servants in the local government from imminent death at the hands of rebels, nonetheless constitute the crimes of insubordination and dereliction of duty. Save His Imperial Majesty issue a pardon we therefore order that Ariaa be stripped of rank of Warden and of position in the Homeworld Defense Force and be struck from all honors due her. In the sight of the Sons and Daughters of Orion may she be known as one who turned away from duty.

I sense a new leader approaching!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
Sorry for slowness. Between effort on running a recently started D&D campaign I'm the DM for, reading some books, and messing with the Kingmaker CRPG, I've been heavily distracted. I'll try and find the time to process images and write soon.