Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Oakhurst

A quick glance around the small village and you see that it has a Village Hall, a General Store, a Shrine, a Jail, a Blacksmith and the Ol' Boar Inn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Broutrut Grimstride

"It's well known that it's bad luck to begin an adventure sober. Besides, best we make sure our quarry actually went into the Citadel, and didn't just get lost on the way home from the bar, as dilettantes are wont to do." Broutrut makes his way to the inn.

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2

Siegebjörna

Siegebjörna takes a long look back at Julia before joining the rest of party on the way to the tavern.

"You are good friend! Designated information driver. The Citadel was founded by Cultists of Dragons, so... be careful... I will join others searching the bottoms of barrels and mugs!"

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Karl Martel

Broutrut posted:

"It's well known that it's bad luck to begin an adventure sober. Besides, best we make sure our quarry actually went into the Citadel, and didn't just get lost on the way home from the bar, as dilettantes are wont to do." Broutrut makes his way to the inn.

"Lost for a month, in a place like this?" Karl asks skeptically. "I'll join you in a little while; I want to visit the Shrine and see if they know anything about our missing paladin, or anyone else who might've been with them."

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Oakhurst

Siegebjörna and Broutrut, and possibly others head for the Ol' Boar Inn while Karl heads toward the shrine.

Ol' Boar Inn

The inn is fairly simple, but quite serviceable. At this time of day it is just starting to pick up. A few dozen locals are sitting at tables ordering food or drinking. A small scattering of travelers sitting mostly to themselves. And of course the barkeep a man going a bit soft in the belly but still somewhat fit, carefully cleaning some mugs.

As you enter people look up from what they are doing, but while it isn't a major trade hub or anything it is not unheard of for travelers to pass through.

The Shrine

An old gnome priest is watching over the shrine when Karl arrives. She looks up when he arrives and asks "what can I help you with today?"

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Perry Reed

Broutout's, Voice posted:

Barkeep, a round of ale for myself and my friends.

Goolia's Voice posted:

Also, we may require a number of rooms

Siegebjörna's Voice posted:

We may be staying for a few days.

Perry looks around the inn, trying to see if anyone would be useful to ask about Talgen and Sharwyn.

Wisdom (Insight): 1d20+5 6

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Julia 'Goolia' Saltspyte

As the others leave for the Inn and temple, Julia decides to attempt other means of acquiring information. She skulks around to the alley behind the bar and uses her ooze body to climb as quickly and discreetly as she can to the roof. She let out her equivalent of a sigh as she sloshed into a puddle, having to try to maintain a humanoid disguise was taxing and uncomfortable. After a moment of stretching she begins to circle around the roof, looking for a good spot to post up and overhear any interesting gossip or information.

Investigation check 1d20= 15 and also a stealth check of 1d20+1= 5 if needed

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Oakhurst

Ol' Boar Inn

The barkeep blinks at Perry's words. Not expecting the mimicry. After a moment he speaks up. "It will be four copper for a mug of ale." He gives a sidelong glance at Siegebjörna and Broutrut. "Or two silver if you want a gallon of ale. Rooms are five silver a night."

Alleys

As Goolia settles about in the shadows and tries to keep an...ear?.. out for anything interesting she does happen to overhear some conversation between two individuals passing by.

"Old Uncle Tom is getting worse. Healers can't help him. Hopefully he can make it a few more months until the goblins come with the apple."

"Hopefully there won't be too many who need it, and at least we are heading into summer. Could you imagine if you tried the other apple on him?"

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Karl Martel

Ryuujin posted:

Oakhurst
The Shrine

An old gnome priest is watching over the shrine when Karl arrives. She looks up when he arrives and asks "what can I help you with today?"
"I'm trying to find Talgen and Sharwyn Hecrule. I understand they went to explore the Sunless Citadel about a month ago; can you recall anything about them and their companions?" Karl watches the old gnome woman carefully, trying to gauge her reaction to his question, and the truthfulness of any answer she gives.

Rolling Insight: 1d20+5 = 25

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Oakhurst

The Shrine

The small smile on her face seems to fade. "Those poor children. Trying to be adventurers." She shakes her head sadly. "They are Kerowyn's children. She owns the general store. I never heard why they went to the Sunless Citadel." She looks up and to the side in thought. "I believe they were accompanied by two others. A local ranger named Karakas, and a paladin from somewhere else. I haven't heard anything of them since they left."

As far as you can tell she is completely sincere and honest. It seems like that is all she knows.

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

Rain
Ol' Boar Inn

"I'll take a room, a mug of ale, and any stories you might have about local monsters. that might interfere with our travels."

Rain puts five gold on the bar, "Please let me know when me and my group have spent this."

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Karl Martel

Ryuujin posted:

Oakhurst

The Shrine

The small smile on her face seems to fade. "Those poor children. Trying to be adventurers." She shakes her head sadly. "They are Kerowyn's children. She owns the general store. I never heard why they went to the Sunless Citadel." She looks up and to the side in thought. "I believe they were accompanied by two others. A local ranger named Karakas, and a paladin from somewhere else. I haven't heard anything of them since they left."

Karl nods solemnly. "That matches what Kerowyn's messenger told us. I had hoped the paladin might have touched base at your shrine here, but... What can you tell me about the two siblings? I assume they're grown, or nearly so. Did they have any particular skills or talents?"

Monk E
May 19, 2009

Jalenia

"Hmm you know what I'm actually gonna head out for a bit I'm thinking it might be a good idea to double-check the provisions before alcohol. Don't need to be trying to haggle seeing double that never goes well for me."
heading out to the General Store and seeing if theres anything available relevant to adventuring.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Oakhurst

Ol' Boar Inn

The barkeep picks up the coin and puts it away after a quick inspection. "Very well." He then begins to prepare some mugs of ale for the group.

The Shrine

"Yes they are adults in their own rights. A bit young still, and adventurous, but adults all the same. Talgwen is a fighter, skilled with a number of weapons. Sharwyn is a budding wizard. She has some skill with magic. Neither have been at it for very long still they had some skill."

General Store

The general store is a bit larger than a number of the other buildings in Oakhurst, a bit better built than most. As Jalenia enters he sees a few shoppers still buying provisions from an older human woman who looks up and nods as he enters.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Adran

Adran relaxes as he sits and drinks.

Piell fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jun 20, 2020

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Karl Martel

The Shrine

"Well, that offers some small hope, at least; with luck and the gods' grace, we may yet find them alive. What about the ranger, Karakas? I take it he was a bit older and more experienced than they?"

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Oakhurst

The Shrine

"He is a bit older than the two of them yes. And he certainly had more experience than the two of them."

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Karl Martel

The Shrine

"As I thought. Thank you for speaking with me about this. And now I believe I shall pray, and ask if my Lord Tyr might arrange that gods' grace I mentioned." He glances around the interior of the shrine, hoping to spot an alcove dedicated to his patron.

Monk E
May 19, 2009

Jalenia

"Hello any wares of interest to adventuring sorts sold here. Oh actually speaking of adventurers have travelers by the name of Talgen or Sharwyn stopped by recently?"

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Oakhurst

The Shrine

There are a number of alcoves dedicated to various good, and neutral, gods. After a little looking Karl finds one for Tyr.

General Store

The woman stops. Her face dropping before hardening, the muscles along her arms twitch as she clenches her fists then slowly opens them.

"No. My son and daughter have not been by recently. Not since they went to the Sunless Citadel roughly a month ago. And disappeared. Did you know them?"

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Broutrut Grimstride

Broutrut happily takes one of the drinks, and takes a seat at a table with Adarn. He begins listening to the conversations people are having around him, trying to overhear anything of relevance to their mission or the happenings in the town. [Perception check: 8]

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Perry Reed

Grabbing a mug of ale and nodding to the Barkeep as he does so, Perry takes a seat next to Broutrut and sips slowly while looking around the room.

Broutrut's Voice posted:

What do you see with your Dwarvish Eyes?

I'll assist with your perception, which gives advantage. Roll again and let's hope you get something higher.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Karl Martel

The Shrine

Karl kneels in the alcove before the small altar. "Praise be to Tyr Even-Handed, Lord of Justice. In your service, I seek to meet the needs of the common people, not only in violence against evil but in the work of the forge, the words of the tongue, the thoughts of the mind, the feelings of the heart, and the care of the body also.

"I ask no further aid for myself than what you have already granted me, Lord Tyr, but I am in search for Talgen and Sharwyn Hucrele, who ventured forth into danger one month ago alongside two companions. Hear my prayer, O Lord, and stretch forth your hand to preserve them until they may be found, so that I might return them all to safety, to the glory of your name."

Anshu fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jun 13, 2020

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Oakhurst

Ol' Boar Inn

As Broutout and Perry settle down and try to listen for anything useful or relevant. They don't hear anything about the Sunless Citadel, or the Hucrele siblings. but do hear a little bit of gossip.

"Old Jeff lost all his cattle the night before last."

"No! Did he let them graze and didn't keep an eye on them? Doesn't he know about the attacks?"

"You know Old Jeff. Just so stubborn. Even with all the people and cattle found dead he didn't think it would happen to him."

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Karl Martel

The Shrine

Karl remains kneeling in pious silence for a few moments after finishing his prayer, then rises to his feet. He gives the old gnome a nod and small smile. "Thank you again. Gods be wi' ye," he says, and leaves, heading for the Ol' Boar Inn. Along the way, he keeps an eye out for possible signs sent from Tyr.

Rolling Religion, got a 13.

Ryuujin on Discord posted:

As you are walking toward the Ol' Boar Inn you are looking around. A pair of sparrows flying by catches your eye briefly before a brief burst of wind causes you to close your eyes. When you open them again you spot only one of the sparrows. Looking around and it seems like the second sparrow was driven off course by the sudden gust of wind and broke a wing against a branch they were trying to fly past.

Karl's mouth sets in a solemn line as he cautiously approaches the injured sparrow. "Easy, easy, I'm not going to hurt you," he croons, reaching for the bird.

Animal Handling 19, to convince the bird to let me pick it up

Anshu fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jun 12, 2020

Monk E
May 19, 2009

Jalenia

"Oh no I err my group was hired to seek them out." Jalenia shifted her gaze realizing she likely hadn't started the conversation off on the right foot ''We've been making preparations to search the ruins assuming no other leads come up and I was hoping to see if your store had any supplies that could be of use.''

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Perry Reed

Looking at Broutrut , Perry motions with his mug at the two talking about missing cattle.

Broutrut's Voice posted:

Another mug?

Not waiting for a response, Perry flags the innkeeper down.

Adran's Voice posted:

Another four mugs of Ale please
Perry flips him a silver to cover the cost.

Retrieving his ale, he slides one too Broutrut and grabs the other three while turning around and slides two to three table talking about cattle.

Adran's Voice posted:

I heard you mention

Local's Voice posted:

cattle found dead

Adran's Voice posted:

has that been happening a lot?

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2

Siegebjörna

The Ol' Boar Inn

Siegebjörna is awkwardly large, taking up two stools and drinking the gallon of ale that the barkeep suggested. She drinks from boredom before noticing Perry's interest in the stories of Old Jeff. She leans in to hear more about the attacks on the cattle.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Oakhurst

Ol' Boar Inn

The men look to the ales and their eyes light up in interest. "Well thank you kindly stranger. Ah you heard us talking about Old Jeff? Yeah people and cattle that have gone out alone at night have been found dead the next morning covered in dozens of needle-like wounds.. No one has seen what does this, or found a trail left by whatever has been doing this. So we haven't been letting our cattle graze too far afield. Old Jeff is rather stubborn and doesn't think these kinds of things could happen to him, and well, now they have."

General Store

Many expressions pass over Kerowyn's face before settling on a sad and resigned expression.

"Not the best start there kid. But if you can bring my children I will be very grateful. So what kind of supplies do you need?"

The Streets

The bird lets Karl pick it up to perform his ministrations.

Ryuujin fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jun 13, 2020

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Karl Martel

The Streets

Karl wraps his hands gently but firmly around the sparrow, continuing to murmur soothingly as he folds its injured wing against its body, trying to make sure all the bones are properly and naturally aligned before he attempts any healing magic.

Rolling Medicine: 1d20+5 = 13

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Oakhurst

The Streets

With careful, and time consuming, work Karl manages to get the bird's wing correctly aligned. With time, and care, the wing will mend itself. Though Karl has the means to speed this process.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Karl Martel

The Streets

Karl speaks the words of healing power, letting it flow from his hands into the bird's body.

Cure Wounds 1d8+3 = 4

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Oakhurst

The Streets

And the bird's wounds heal, the bones in its wing set right proceed to mend back to a fully functional wing. After mere moments it chirps its delight. If only all one's problems could be so easily dealt with.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Karl Martel

The Streets

Karl tosses the healed sparrow back into the air and watches it dart away; he's about to continue on his way to the Inn when he thinks better of it, and turns toward the General Store instead.

General Store

Karl enters and finds Jalenia already engaged in conversation with Kerowyn.

Monk E
May 19, 2009

Jalenia

Jalenia welcomes Karl and a reprieve from the awkward atmosphere with open arms "Oh Karl thank goodness I was just talking with Kerowyn about what kind of supplies we might need to pick up for our journey I was thinking potions but if you had any ideas we'd be glad to hear it."

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Karl Martel

General Store

"It might help to mark our route with iron spikes and scraps of brightly colored cloth so we don't get lost, but potions of healing are always going to be handy," Karl says. "Perhaps a healer's kit as well."

"Mistress Kerowyn, I've just come from your local shrine, where I asked my Lord Tyr to keep your children safe until we can reach them, and in the street I witnessed what I take to be a hopeful sign: two sparrows flew near a tree, when a sudden gust of wind dashed one against a branch and broke its wing. One of your children is injured, but both are still alive."

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Oakhurst

General Store

Kerowyn gives Karl a stare. "Well I will believe it when I see it. Now what did you need?" Kerowyn clearly has trouble believing in such a fanciful story and interpretation. Much more comfortable in cold hard facts and proof. All the same she shows the two of you her supplies, with an emphasis on survival rations and things useful in an abandoned dungeon. She does not give you any discounts at the moment, but perhaps that will change if you manage to bring back her children safe and sound.

You can buy anything from the PHB at normal prices.

Ol' Boar Inn

You drink and eat, well, and as the day finishes and the night begins to arrive the others eventually make their way back to you. Then you rent your rooms and get a good nights rest.

In the morning you wake to the smell of bacon, eggs, potatoes and some bread toasting.

Ryuujin fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jun 16, 2020

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Perry Reed

Giving anyone who takes eggs the evil eye, Perry scarfs down the bacon and bread.

Innkeeper's Voice posted:

Mornin

Siegebjörna's Voice posted:

We're getting on the road today, correct?

Karl's Voice posted:

There's a farmer named

Drunk's Voice posted:

old Jeff

Broutrut's Voice posted:

who's having an issue with something killing his cows

Jalenia's Voice posted:

if we want to check it on our way out of town

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Karl Martel

General Store

Karl purchases a square yard of orange-dyed cotton, 50 pitons, and a healer's kit.

Ol' Boar Inn

Once he reaches the Inn, Karl has a little to drink with Siegebjörna and Broutrut, but focuses on cutting up his square of cloth, repeatedly folding it in half and cutting along the fold with a knife, and tying most of the resulting ribbons through the rings of his pitons.

Come morning, Karl proves unfazed by Perry's glare as he helps himself to some of the eggs alongside the bacon and potatoes. "Don't give me that look, Perry. I've seen crows dig into the corpses of other birds quite readily, to say nothing of eagles, hawks, and falcons – and none of these eggs were ever going to hatch into chicks anyway. Not like the pig this bacon came from, which was born and grew and lived before it was slaughtered, and is as close kin to me as the local chickens are to you."

In answer to the kenku's question about the day's plans, he shakes his head. "That sounds worthy of our attention, but I'd rather tend to it after we've found our missing adventurers."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

Rain

"Agreed, let's find the children first, then rescue the cows."