Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2

Siegebjörna

The Ol' Boar Inn

Siegebjörna wakes up groggy and hungover from spending most of her night conversing with her gallons of ale rather than with the locals. She joins the group downstairs, grabbing the entire remainder of eggs, oblivious to Perry's gaze or anyone else's hunger and begins to feed.

Finally feeling refueled after a large belch, she chimes in, "Aye, Merchantlings first, then cows. Last time Siegebjörna tried milking gold out of a cow, it did not go well for cow... or Siegebjörna. Merchantlings' teats on the otherhand..." She makes a strange grasping motion in the air, which barely translates, even when accompanied by sound effects.

Sensing miscommunication, she pivots to current topic and what she recalls from the patrons. "Men said cows and cow-killer-searchers were found with needle holes the next morning. Whatever hunts these cows and stupid cow-killer-searchers, hunts at night. Siegebjörna doubts we can help Jeff of Old after breakfast. Also apparently he is stubborn. Merchantlings in distress are much more agreeable."

Finally acknowledging Perry's glare, she mistakes his discomfort by assuming he's simply mad that Siegebjörna finished the eggs without sharing.

"Ah, Siegebjörna is sorry Kenku-Friend-Perry, I will save small plate for leftovers next time."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Julia 'Goolia' Saltspyte

As the town woke Julia stirred from her near torpor on the roof of the inn. She didn't need sleep anymore but staking out a town from the inn roof was boring, so she carefully made her way to the ground and into an approximately humanoid shape to join the others for breakfast and planning. She spied the rowdy group quickly and made her way over with a mumbled greeting.

"That is the last time I do that," she said as she ululated in a vague approximation of a stretch, "gods above this town is boring at night."

As the others began to discuss the missing cows she piped in.

"Look, if we find out what's happening with the cows on our way fine. Otherwise we have a well paying job to find the kids." She wrinkled her cloak for a moment.

"And its never a good idea to take a job without setting terms up front. People just start expecting you to do things for free. Me, I like to get paid to deal with that poo poo."

Monk E
May 19, 2009

Jalenia

General Store
Buying 2 healing potions

Ol' Boar Inn

Jalenia's head rose from the table "Hunting a beast down for predation what a ridiculous concept besides what are we going to do interrogate every animal in the forest until we find one that confesses to the crimes? That said if theres any evidence of the killer being supernatural then that might be worth looking into what with all the bad omens about the area."

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Broutrut Grimstride

Broutrut went through his pack one last time before shouldering it and joining with the others. "I think we're better off chasing down the kids than going after some spook eating cattle. Besides, those farmers were drunk last night; Old Jeff is probably just hungover, sleeping it off somewhere. Let's focus on hunting down the kids."

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Perry Reed

Broutrut's Voice posted:

Well no point sitting around in here

Siegebjörna's Voice posted:

Kenku-Friend-Perry says

Jalenia's Voice posted:

Lets get this show on the road

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Oakhurst

Ol' Boar Inn

After a hearty breakfast, that may or may not have contained eggs, you get ready and set out. You leave Oakhurst and begin traveling along the Old Road.

Here and there along the road you come across a few bodies of animals, and while many of them have been nibbled on by others by now a careful inspection shows that they are riddled with needle like wounds. And odd way to die.

After traveling for a few hours, as you begin to near noon, you begin to see a ravine to the west of the Old Road.

Ravine

The Old Road passes to the east of a narrow ravine. At the road's closest approach to the cleft, several broken pillars jut from the earth where the ravine widens. Two of the pillars stand straight, but most lean atop sloped earth. Others are broken, and several have apparently fallen into the dark depths. A few similar pillars are visible on the opposite side of the ravine.

A sturdy, knotted rope is tied to one of the leaning pillars on this side of the ravine.

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2

Ryuujin posted:

Ravine

The Old Road passes to the east of a narrow ravine. At the road's closest approach to the cleft, several broken pillars jut from the earth where the ravine widens. Two of the pillars stand straight, but most lean atop sloped earth. Others are broken, and several have apparently fallen into the dark depths. A few similar pillars are visible on the opposite side of the ravine.

A sturdy, knotted rope is tied to one of the leaning pillars on this side of the ravine.

Siegebjörna

"Siegebjörna does not trust rope to handle Siegebjörna's extra muscle. My tribe used to race up and down cliffs like these often to prove prowess. Siegebjörna will do this and carry anything or anyone that does not have such history... or limbs." She believes she's being subtle by not directly looking at Goolia.

I feel comfortable enough in my Athletics+ skill to climb, and I'm unsure how much weight will affect the rope.

OfChristandMen fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jun 19, 2020

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

Rain

Rain nods at the sensible words of Siegebjörna. "I'll risk the rope first, should it not hold for me, I'll be able to recover better than most anyone else here. Once Siegebjörna and I have made it to the ground, the rest of you can follow."

Rolled an 8 on Acrobatics for climbing down the rope, Taxabi claws give me a climb speed of 20 feet, if that matters

Mykkel fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jun 19, 2020

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Julia 'Goolia' Saltspyte

"Wait, before anyone goes I can at least scout ahead," Goolia pipes in as she deforms into a puddle-like shape and easily rolls down the wall. "Having a body like this has a few advantages and I can at least make sure the rope is safe for the rest of you. Or bring our own to tie."

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Karl Martel

"Good idea. I wonder how far down it goes?" Karl scoops up a pebble and casts light on it before dropping it down into the dark ravine.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Oakhurst

Ravine

The ravine seems to run for several miles in either direction and has an average width of 30 feet, and it seems to average 30 feet deep. Though at this point it widens to 40 feet. As the glowing pebble drops it seems as though there is a ledge about 50 feet below the lip of the ravine.

The condition of the sturdy knotted rope shows it couldn't have been tied there more than a few weeks ago. A month on the outside. The rope looks like it can hold Siegebjörna's weight if she chooses to try it.

Anyone with a climb speed can climb down the wall at that speed with no problems and no check needed. Anyone using the rope can make it down in about two or three rounds with a check.
Anyone climbing the wall directly can climb it with a slightly harder check and taking about twice the amount of time.

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2

Siegebjörna

Recgonizing she's unlikely to be the first down, and that Goolia can ooze descend without help, Siegebjörna swallows her pride and gingerly tests the rope's security with her full weight.

Seeing it hold, she regains confidence and is the first to climb.

"Hah! Tiny pebble is good guiding light! Will fetch for you, Karl-friend! Mount Siegebjörna descends!"

Saving my misadventures for later, I'll climb the knotted rope with Athletics Check 13 in Roll20.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Perry Reed

Perry leaps onto Siegebjörna's shoulders and perches while holding his bow ready.

Karl's Voice posted:

Thank you for the perch, friend

Siegebjörna

Acrobatics roll of 16 in Roll20

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Karl Martel

After waiting for Siegebjörna to nearly reach the bottom, Karl starts down himself.

Athletics 1d20+3 = 4

Anshu fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jun 19, 2020

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Oakhurst

Ravine

Siegebjörna and Perry Reed begin to climb down the rope, in their own ways, while Goolia and Rain on the Water begin to easily climb down the wall nearby.

Adran soon follows Siegebjörna and Perry down, followed not long after by Karl. As Siegebjörna get fairly close to the bottom Karl's grip slips and he falls. Siegebjörna reaches out to try and catch him but fails to make the catch. Karl lands with a thud, followed soon by the sound of a few rather large rats coming out of hiding and heading for his body.

Combat!

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Broutrut Grimstride

After seeing Karl's tumble, Broutrut quickly scrambles down the rope to check and see if he is okay.

Athletics 1d20+5=24

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Perry Reed

His head on a swivel as Siegebjörna descends, Perry spots the rats as soon as they emerge after Karl hits the ground, and lets loose with an arrow at the closest one to his fallen friend.

at Rat 3

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Adran

"Hang on!" Adran shouts as he rapidly makes his way down the rope, dropping the last few feet and drawing his bow. His shot at the rat goes wide, however.

Missed with a 7

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Oakhurst

Ledge

Perry murders a rat with extreme prejudice. And then proceeds to lose his balance upon his perch and falls the rest of the way down. Luckily he wasn't too high up and managed to land withotu too much pain. Unfortunately one of the rats moved up to him and proceeded to try and eat his wings.

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

Oakhurst
Ledge

Rain

Rain finishes the climb as Perry gets bit by the rat, Drawing his rapier, Rain advances and slices the air above the rat.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Karl Martel

Meanwhile, Karl attempts to not die.

Death save 1d20 = 19

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Julia 'Goolia' Saltspyte

Moving quickly to the further rat still standing, Julia lashes out with a pseudopod dripping with acid which causes the rat to squeal in pain.

Rolled 1d20+5= 23 for to hit, 2d4+3= 6 for damage.

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2

Siegebjörna

"KARL! SIEGEBJÖRNA WILLS YOU NOT TO DIE!"

Determined to protect Karl's body, Siegebjörna swings her Battering Ram, Demolyja frantically, completely missing the rats.

Attack: Demolyja (Improvised Weapon)
Roll: 6 ([1] + 5)

"For if you die, who will help Siegebjörna when she does the stupid thing?!"

Monk E
May 19, 2009

Jalenia

"On the bright side worst case scenario just means getting there faster"

rolled 14 on 1d20+3 for acrobatics to climb down the rope

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Perry Reed

Shifting back away from the angry rat, Perry let's lose with another bolt that flies wide.

Broutout's Voice posted:

I think we're overrunning them

Adrian's Voice posted:

how's Karl?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Adran

Adran takes a moment to aim, then looses his arrow. It goes directly into the large rat's eye, dropping it instantly.

[i]Critical hit on the rat for 17 damage![/u]

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

Oakhurst
Ledge

Rain

"Excellent shooting Adran" Rain struts past the skewered rat, and slids is rapier into the lungs of the last rat.

"How's Karl?"

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2

Siegebjörna

Mykkel posted:

"How's Karl?"

Siegebjörna finds the pebble Karl had cast Light on and dropped onto the platform. Still radiating light, she gingerly carries it over to his body. "Karl... this is your magic... your Tyr bestowed power. Take it back Karl! Take the light back! Do not let it fade away! Rock, Siegebjörna demands you return your magic to Karl-friend. Rock, Siegebjörna COMMANDS YOU!"

She attempts to "heal" Karl by pushing the Light cast pebble into his chest.

"Karl... Siegebjörna said she would return the pebble to you... Karl... please do not go to Tyr just yet..."

Action: Medicine
Roll: 0 ([1] + -1)

Apologies to Anshu, I did not expect to hit the worst possible loving roll. Light isn't concentration, and takes an action to dismiss, so I figured it would still be working on the pebble. Hopefully someone with a neutral or positive WIS score can save Karl by stabilization.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Julia 'Goolia' Saltspyte

Julia muscled her way over to the unconcious Karl, quickly scanning through his injuries. "We need to get him patched up quickly or he isn't going to make it." Drawing on a lifetime of living on ships where everyone got a crash course in treating wounds, she did her best with her pseudopods to try to fix the worst of his injuries. Unfortunately, being a slime meant that manipulating things was pretty difficult and she was unable to actually get him stable

Medicine check to stabilize 1d20+2= 9. Oof

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Perry Reed

Goolia's Voice posted:

Do not hurt him, I will help
Perry says as he rushes to Karl's side and applies a bandage.

Rain's Voice posted:

Do not worry, friend we

will help mend your wings

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Oakhurst

Ledge

The battle ends but Karl continues to fight for life. After a few failed attempts to get him to stop bleeding Perry comes along and staunches his wounds. He is still unconscious and will be for some time without some actual healing, but his life is no longer in immediate danger.

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

Oakhurst
Ledge

Rain

Rain rummages around in his pack, and looks at the party glumly.

"Anyone happen to have a healing potion? Apparently, I've misplaced the last one I had."

Monk E
May 19, 2009

Jalenia

"I have some would be a pain to wait for him to wake up on his own."

Using a healing potion on Karl

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Karl Martel

Karl's eyes flutter open, and he groans in pain. "Ngh, what happened?" he asks, looking up at you all with eyes that are slightly unfocused until he blinks a few times. "Did I fall?" he continues, struggling a little before managing to push himself up to a sitting position.

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2

Siegebjörna

Anshu posted:

Karl's eyes flutter open, and he groans in pain. "Ngh, what happened?" he asks, looking up at you all with eyes that are slightly unfocused until he blinks a few times. "Did I fall?" he continues, struggling a little before managing to push himself up to a sitting position.

"KARL-FRIEND! You are alive! Siegebjörna was worried. I have your divine pebble. It did not help save you..."

Siegebjörna walks over to the rope and glares at it.

"Siegebjörna was correct to not trust rope, it almost killed Karl! Perry-friend or Goolia, could you return to the cliff top and cut the rope? We can make sure no one follows and can keep an eye on this treacherous knotted thing."

She pulls a grappling hook out of her bulbous and overstocked pack.

"We can always use this to get back up if we need to."

My carrying capacity is pretty ridiculous, and it's humorous to me from an RP-angle, that Siegebjörna would keep Karl safe by collecting the thing that tried to kill him. I have a grappling hook to get back up, but don't want to have the impression that I'm going to collect everything that isn't nailed down.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Julia 'Goolia' Saltspyte

Julia stared at Siegebjörna for a moment before letting out what she hoped sounded like a sigh. "Fine, I'll get the rope for you." with the preternatual speed of an ooze she scaled the wall without incident and quickly cut the rope to bring back to her muscular compatriot. She returned to the group quickly.

"Now, Karl, can you travel or do we need to rest? These rats don't bode well for those missing kids."

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Karl Martel

Zore posted:

"Now, Karl, can you travel or do we need to rest? These rats don't bode well for those missing kids."

"Someone give me a hand onto my feet and let's find out," he replies, lifting one arm in Siegebjörna's general direction.

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

Oakhurst
Ledge

Rain

Rain sighs in relief to see Karl up and moving. "Well unless there are any objections, I think we should continue down these stairs. "

Rain puts word to action, heading down the stairs slowly looking for more rats or anything out of the ordinary.

got a 15 on perception while heading down the stairs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
Adran

Adran moves quietly to the ledge, bow at the ready as he heads downwards a bit ahead of the main, louder group.

25 on Stealth, 18 on Perception.