Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2

Siegebjörna

Siegebjörna is puzzled by the fountain "water" and takes her drinking mug from her pack and dunks it into the fountain.

"Perhaps we are supposed to drink dragon-fountain-blood?"

Siegebjörna then spills some in the corner of the previous room and attempts to light it with a torch, thinking herself a master detective.

Trying to sample some of the liquid and see if it's as flammable as her superstitions lead her to believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Sunless Citadel

Dry Fountain

Siegebjörna fills her mug with all that remains of the liquid. Then risks some of it in a test that quickly proves that the liquid is not flammable.

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2

Siegebjörna

Still in the corner, secretively, Siegebjörna tries a swig of the liquid, drinking it.

I am not bright, but my Constitution score is high if it's poison...

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Sunless Citadel

Dry Fountain

Siegebjörna takes a sip of the liquid, and feels a slight warming in her stomach, but clearly the liquid has no effect without drinking all of it.

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2

Siegebjörna

Siegebjörna returns to the group, carefully holding the mug of the last of the liquid.

"Adventure-friends. Mount Siegebjörna has deduced... the liquid is supposed to be drank! But... does anyone have cup-with-lid to help Siegebjörna take liquid-to-go?"

Siegebjörna is torn between wanting to quench her thirst and having another friend-killing item secured in her pack for future use against enemies.

OfChristandMen fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jul 20, 2020

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Karl Martel

Karl takes a moment to search his pack. "I might have... ah, no, I don't. I thought maybe I had an empty flask that used to hold holy water... I do have my waterskin, though pouring it in might be tricky."

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2

Siegebjörna

Siegebjörna looks wistfully at her favorite drinking mug, now full with this strange liquid that can't be placed anywhere else. Torn between wanting to save it for the right opportunity and just blatant impatience, she turns to the other members of the party.

"Siegebjörna and adventure friends face dilemna. Either open door, trapped, locked and lying... or keep going in open room? Siegebjörna suggests Perry-Kenku-Friend and Adran-Shiny-Fist-Friend open door of locks and traps while Siegebjörna drinks strange brew. Then either Siegebjörna is effectively drunk, or ineffectively sober. Either way, it will be entertaining!"

I don't think this stuff will last long, so using it now trying to get to the trapped room might be a good bet? We've encountered pit traps and locked rooms, but this is our first trapped AND locked door. So there should be something good behind it.

OfChristandMen fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jul 29, 2020

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Julia 'Goolia' Saltspyte

"Before we go in, Meepo can you read what this says?" Julia asks as she flows to the locked door and produces a pseudopod to gesture at the writing in Draconic on it. "Might as well get all the information we can before we burst in."

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Sunless Citadel

Dry Fountain

Meepo walks over to the door and reads the inscription out loud, first in Draconic, then in Common for the party to understand.

"Rebuke the dead, open the way."

Nothing seems to happen in response to his reading of the words.

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

Oakhurst

Rain

Rain drains the last of his water from one of his waterskins, and hands it to Siegebjörna, "Here, pour your potion in here. Don't expect I'll want the skin back."

"Anyone able to turn undead? That's the only explanation I have for what Meepo just read."

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Perry Reed

Rain's Voice posted:

Let's disarm the trap on the door first, and see if it really means one of us has to be undead

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Julia 'Goolia' Saltspyte

"We should go through regardless. Riddles pah." Julia attempts to spit but sort of awkwardly makes a noise. "You never understand how they go until it doesn't matter any more."

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

Sunless Citadel: Dry Fountain

Rain

Rain steps up to the door and examines the slot above the door that Perry had noticed, "Oh, I think I know how this works." He begins to fiddle with the slot.

A second later there is a click, followed by Rain uttering a "Uh oh" and then he manages to avoid the blade that emerges from the slot. Rain watches as the blade retracts into the slot.

Investigation check of 21, followed by an 8 on a Dexterity check

Mykkel fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jul 29, 2020

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Julia 'Goolia' Saltspyte

Julia slides up near Rain to... peer? into the slot herself. As the Scythe retracts she extends a pseudopod into the hole to grasp the mechanism and pull on it in an attempt to jam it or get it out. Unfortunately her ability to pull is hampered by the contortions she has to put her ooze body into and she triggers the trap which springs out and hits her in her already-damaged face.

Faced with critical damage she collapses unconscious into a puddle of slime on the ground.

Rolled an 8+3=11 for a Strength check to rip out the trap and triggered it instead, bringing Goolia to 0 HP

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Woops accidentally saved changes when I was copying over toplines, this was using Medicine on Goolia

Piell fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Aug 28, 2020

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2

Siegebjörna

Siegebjörna struts over to the trapped door, producing a crowbar from her pack.

"Worry not, Goolia-friend, Siegebjörna can break!"

She attempts to use her crowbar to sabotage the door's trap. However, her hands are still coated with the slick fiery ichor, she slips and snaps her crowbar rather than jamming the door.

"Uhh... Siegebjörna broke wrong thing... Not first time this happens."

Action: Strength check to disable trap
Roll: 6 (1d20 + 5)

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Perry Reed

Rain's Voice posted:

Goolia, you okay? Want to continue on or shall we have Meepo find us a hidey hole for the night?

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Karl Martel

"Even though she's all back together, I don't think Julia's awake, and I have no idea how to administer a potion to an unconscious pile of slime." Closing his eyes, Karl rests a hand on Julia's surface and chants the words of a healing spell.

Cure Wounds heals 8hp

"That's everything of substance my lord Tyr has given me today," he says. "Why don't we leave that door for now and investigate what's over there?" He gestures down the short hallway. "Maybe we can find a good spot to camp."

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Adran

Adran nods. "Yeah, this door seems to be going nowhere. North it is!"

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Sunless Citadel

Dry Fountain

The group heads north, finding another door to the west again, and a hallway continuing further north with six doorways, three on either side.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Perry Reed

Examining the hallway to the north, Perry tries to see if there are more traps and identify what the doors may lead to.

17 on perception

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Sunless Citadel

Cells

Perry takes a look to the north.

This section of hallway contains six doors, all slightly ajar. The area smells musky.

The doors look like they lead to cells, and each seems to be slightly open, just enough for a small creature to squeeze through.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
Adran

"I've heard about this poo poo, we're gonna walk down that hall and a bunch of loving skeletons or some poo poo are gonna pop out of each cell and surround us. Here's what we're gonna do, we're gonna get in position and let those fuckers come to us."

I suggest we have the front line stand in front of the entryway, second line stand on either side of the entryway so they can still hit the front square, and then make some noise to draw out attackers. If that doesn't work, Adran can run into the hallway and then back to try to draw anything out.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Julia 'Goolia' Saltspyte

Julia produces a pseudopod to attempt a nod at Adran's plan which has... mixed results. Giving it up as a bad job she speaks, "Yeah, we should be ready for an ambush here and I've been stabbed enough for one day." She flows into the indicated position.

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

Rain

"I agree, let's avoid Julia getting stabbed again." Rain glides to his appointed position, bow at the ready.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Sunless Citadel

Cells

The party gets ready and begins making some noise, a few moments later three giant rats squeeze out of three of the cells and begin heading toward the noise.

Combat begins!
Broutrut is up, then one of the rats, then about half the party, followed by another rat, a few more party members, the final rat, then Goolia

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2

Siegebjörna

"MORE Rats?! This is truly looking like the Citadel of Less FUN!" Siegebjörna bemoans before sticking her fists up, getting ready to punch a rat into submission.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Perry Reed

Siegebjörna's Voice posted:

Rats are not fun
Perry grumbles as he lets loose with an arrow that the rat nearest to Sieg.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Karl Martel

Karl calls down a spark of the might of Tyr on the rat in front of Sieja.

3 radiant damage, DC 13 Dex save negates

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2

Siegebjörna

"Keep trying Venture-Friends! Rats cannot gnaw the bonds of our friendship with their sickly teeth! Knock-Rock, crush!"

Siegebjörna slams her rock into the rat facing her, telegraphing her stroke far too boisterously and misses the rat's skull.

"No rat outfoxes Siegebjörna... TWICE!"

Action: Attack with Knock-Rock
Result: (1d20 + 5) = 8, miss

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
Adran

Adran fires his longbow at the rat in front of Sieg.

18 to hit, 11 damage on the rat in front of Sieg.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Julia 'Goolia' Saltspyte

Julia lashes out at the final rat, melting it with her potent acid.

21 to hit, 8 acid damage

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
The rats are dead. And as we seem to have lost a few players, and the adventure doesn't seem to take into account that certain features aren't available at level 1, everyone remaining will get to level up to level 3 now.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Karl Martel

"Let's search the cells to see if there's anything of use that might have been lost or left behind there," Karl suggests, moving up to look into the first cell on the left.

Perception check 19 to search/examine the cell for anything valuable or useful.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Sunless Citadel

Cells

Karl begins searching the area and notices a number of tracks, making out some from rats and some from humanoids. Searching the cells he finds that each of the three cells the rats came from have some coin.

The first of three cells he finds 5 sp, 4 gp, and 3 gems (worth 5 gp each).

In the second of three cells he finds 9 sp, and 3 gems (worth 5 gp each).

In the last of three cells he finds 6 sp, and 1 gp.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Perry Reed

Broutout's Voice posted:

Shall we keep heading north then?

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2

Siegebjörna

"Good rats. Stay dead. Siegebjörna will crush you to rock!"

Siegebjörna brutally continues pulverizing the rats into the floor, shattering the tiles beneath her. She doesn't relent her barrage, instead walking forward, delighting in her destruction.

"Haha! Adventure-friends should try, as Goliath elders say back home, 'Breaking things beneath you gives room for strength to build!', Siegebjörna say-"

Her words are cut off as her arms, head and torso dive into the floor, as if they were being sucked through a tunnel. She starts shaking and heaving, twisting her legs into a squat, and forcefully pulling herself out of the pit.

When she stands, her upper half is covered in this strange ferrous goop. Siegebjörna attempts to wipe the mess off of her, but it begins to dissolve, rather than drip away from her. It becomes clear as her body beings to enlarge and inflate that her skin is actually absorbing substance. Her eyes being to dart in a panic, but she centers herself into a power squat and her body begins to reverberate.

"Mmn Nmmnna!"

"Moumph Zzghbrwuya!"

Siegebjörna continues to make strange noises until she finally hurls, hacks and coughs up a giant ball of rocky dirt. She wipes the dirty drool away from her mouth and inhales deeply to delcare,

"Mount... Siegebjörna has been built!"

Siegebjörna's frame and face have expanded, forming a stockier and craggier paunch than her normally smooth skin. She looks stronger than ever, but in a strange, non-human way has literally become... part-mountain?

Siegebjörna becomes level 3 and gains the Brute ability, Strength of the Mountain:

Strength of the Mountain posted:

Starting when you choose this Strength at 3rd level each Attack you make with an unarmed strike or melee improvised weapon targets all enemies in two adjacent squares that are within your reach. You roll once and apply the attack roll against all enemies in the two squares. In addition you can use a Bonus Action upon hitting an enemy to Shove one or more enemies that you hit with your attack action up to 5 ft per Str modifier. If an enemy pushed by your Shove hits a wall, another enemy, or other hard object, they take damage as if they were hit by your unarmed strike. You deal double damage to objects and constructs, and Strength checks to break objects count any rolls on the d20 roll of 9 or lower as a 10. You are not impeded by Difficult Terrain.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Julia 'Goolia' Saltspyte

Julia stares at Siegebjörna in slight horror as she metamorphoses, panic rising in her as she recalled her own experiences with strange magicks warping her form. As it seems to die down with Siegebjörna little worse for the wear she relaxes a tiny bit as she begins scanning the room for any other surprises.

"I hate this place so much." She says shaking a pseudopods in a crude approximation of a head. "We should move on before more of that happens."

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

Rain

Rain stares in shock at the transformation. "I don't believe I have ever seen anything like that before."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2

Siegebjörna

"Worry not friends, Siegebjörna feels... not as bad as dead but better than not dead, so... uh, this is win overall, yes?" She says unconvincingly, in a deeper and coarser tone than before.

"Maybe we stick to dragon-finding-plan by moving North? Julia, ooze-friend is right, this place is full of bad sure-prizes."