Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
the forums need two factor authentication. if my post history got out it would be catastrophic to society.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Fabricated posted:

I'm reluctant to get a new phone because I'll have to transfer or set up 2FA on the new phone and transfer poo poo and I can't be bothered to think about it

oh it’s a bitch

somehow apps forget everything and you need to log in E V E R T H I N G for fucks sake

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
whenever I would flatten and reinstall windows, I’d copy the chrome folder in appdata or whatever it was so as soon as I opened chrome in my windows install, it’d be the same. everything logged in etx

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

you don’t need to reinstall windows. it just works. ive been running the same windows install since 2002

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

Remember when your somethingawful password was the most secure one you had?

Was? Pretty sure it still is.

How many times did the requirement change for that? I just ended up throwing a hashed value at it with punctuation.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

fart simpson posted:

you don’t need to reinstall windows. it just works. ive been running the same windows install since 2002

yeah but I install an awful lot of garbage and download an awful load of poo poo

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

that's actually a pretty good point op.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

i just got a notification that my credentials on livejournal.com were compromised

frankly i'm impressed that hackers are even still tossing something that old around

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

PIZZA.BAT posted:

i just got a notification that my credentials on livejournal.com were compromised

frankly i'm impressed that hackers are even still tossing something that old around

it’s worth cracking old password databases because

fart simpson posted:

i just use the same password for everything op

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

fart simpson posted:

Windows 10 has a built in flatten/reinstall that leaves your user directory alone and it works well in my experience. You really have to gently caress your install up to need to blow the whole thing away.

Also I just had to do so, since I decided to finally reinstall the nvme drive i bought for my current machine when I built it like a year+ ago- had weird freezing issues which I chalked up to BIOS and Windows issues with Ryzen at the time

what do you know several BIOS updates and major windows updates later it all just works fine

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park

PIZZA.BAT posted:

i got one of those too

kinda impressive/scary since my password was kinda gibberish with special characters
fortunately 15 year old me used a unique password there

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

cheque_some posted:

my password was kinda gibberish with special characters

mlyp

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

Remember when your somethingawful password was the most secure one you had?

*** FIREFOX USERS - READ THIS OR DIE ***
If you are using Firefox 3, please note that copy & pasting this password WILL
NOT WORK. Firefox 3 has a bug that prevents copy & pasted passwords from
working correctly. To get the password reset to work, you will need to key it
in manually.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
(The bug was something to do with double-clicking a word that was made up of lower case hex to select it to copy. It was a problem in FF for literal years but I see that it works finally.)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i read this thread and i gotta say i agree with the op. there's barely any reason to have human-readable passwords anymore. my device should just somehow authenticate me personally and then spew 2048 bytes of RSA at whatever site requests it. public key cryptography has been a thing for decades now. get on it.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Fabricated posted:

I'm reluctant to get a new phone because I'll have to transfer or set up 2FA on the new phone and transfer poo poo and I can't be bothered to think about it

i still have an old broke as poo poo phone on my desk for exactly this reason

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I finally got around to reading my latest Spectrum and there are some players trying to change that: https://spectrum.ieee.org/tech-talk/telecom/security/pioneers-web-cryptography-future-authentication

Along with Hellman and Elgamal talking, there’s a thinly veiled ad for a company in that that’s trying to give you a personal CA out of your platform’s Secure Enclaves and trying to tie that to you.

I wish them well. Unfortunately it will likely be tech companies trying to do this to tie you to platforms (and show you ads) and not some cool assertion of the individual identity

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Bloody posted:

i still have an old broke as poo poo phone on my desk for exactly this reason

when i transferred to a new phone, Microsoft authenticator stuff came over fine after restoring the backup and logging in to my Microsoft account.

the thing that took forever was the ios keychain which is supposed to send a notification from the new phone to the old phone for approval, but it took like 45 minutes. The apple store head genius said hes never seen it work and that i should just screenshot all my creds from the old phone, but thats absurd so i just waited and eventually it came.

ios sucks rear end.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Shaggar posted:

when i transferred to a new phone, Microsoft authenticator stuff came over fine after restoring the backup and logging in to my Microsoft account.

the thing that took forever was the ios keychain which is supposed to send a notification from the new phone to the old phone for approval, but it took like 45 minutes. The apple store head genius said hes never seen it work and that i should just screenshot all my creds from the old phone, but thats absurd so i just waited and eventually it came.

ios sucks rear end.

this works for me instantly every time. sounds like you’re holding it wrong.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
lol 2fa notification always works. also shagger at the apple store for his phone transfer like a 60 year old apparently

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

:corsair: i paid good money for this doodad and i need to speak to someone right now!

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

The Management posted:

this works for me instantly every time. sounds like you’re holding it wrong.
it was apple that said it didn't work so they're the ones holding it wrong

i was at the store to get a replacement. i guess this also means you cant recover your keychain without a working apple device that already has it which is atrocious design.

Moose Milkie
Sep 6, 2007

:cthulhu::respek::ghost:
COME ON GET INVOLVED
THERE'S A MOOSETERY TO SOLVE
HANG AROUND WITH MOOSE MILKIE

ROVER HERE!!!!!
what happened to SQRL https://www.grc.com/sqrl/sqrl.htm
it had such promise

lol

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

Hed posted:

I finally got around to reading my latest Spectrum and there are some players trying to change that: https://spectrum.ieee.org/tech-talk/telecom/security/pioneers-web-cryptography-future-authentication

Along with Hellman and Elgamal talking, there’s a thinly veiled ad for a company in that that’s trying to give you a personal CA out of your platform’s Secure Enclaves and trying to tie that to you.

I wish them well. Unfortunately it will likely be tech companies trying to do this to tie you to platforms (and show you ads) and not some cool assertion of the individual identity

can’t wait to log in with Apple in literally everything.

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

Shaggar posted:

ios sucks rear end.

the sacred stones will not glow in the presence of true evil.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

clicked on this thread expecting passwords to the gently caress web, was disappointed

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

how do i gently caress web?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
i just use a guid generator and tell my browser to remember it. If i need to log in somewhere else, i use the "i forgot my password" button.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Moose Milkie posted:

what happened to SQRL https://www.grc.com/sqrl/sqrl.htm
it had such promise

lol

man i havent thought of grc.com in like a decade

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

President Beep posted:

lol

Scud Hansen
Dec 13, 2015

Darkness and Evil

President Beep posted:

buddy they won't even let me gently caress the web

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

President Beep posted:

you need the passwords

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
oh god I got the gently caress web passwords and now I can’t stop because my safeword is 24 random characters including upper and lower case letters, numbers, and symbols, with no runs of three adjacent characters of the same class, and I didn’t write it down

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

when i first started setting up to get a pilot's license i did the thing that everyone says you're supposed to do and made the answers to the security questions random phrases that have no connection to the question itself. then i forgot all the answers as well as my password and earlier this year had a very strange call with the FAA trying to confirm my identity

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

i put the answers to the questions also in my password manager :kiddo:

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Pardot posted:

i put the answers to the questions also in my password manager :kiddo:

same.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
my password manager has full power of attorney over me and my estate

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
i love being forced to choose from a shallow pool of "security" questions that anyone who remotely knows me will be able to answer. what's my mother's maiden name? what elementary school did i go to? even sherlock loving holmes won't be able to crack those

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
also good: questions whose answers are non-static like favorite movie or song