Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
This game is absolute dogshit and I am here for it

ultrafilter posted:

Let's be a nihilistic elderly female prodigal depraved occultist named Bertha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
God this sucks so bad. Have there actually been any good Lovecraft-based games? Dark Corners of the Earth nailed the mood but was too janky and badly made to actually enjoy, Call of Cthulhu was incredibly boring, what else was there? Eternal Darkness was Cthulhu with the serial numbers filed off and it owned, there was a turn-based WW1 shooter called something like The Blasted Land that only I seem to remember that was pretty good, what am I missing?

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ultrafilter posted:

The original Alone in the Dark was excellent for its time. Don't try to play it now.

Play it? I did a blind LP of the whole series. It was terrible

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

mortons stork posted:

Darkest Dungeon nails that particular atmosphere of madness and despair, but it comes with a bunch of caveats

Darkest Dungeon is one of my favourite games ever but while it's got the lovecraftian horrors from beyond that drive you mad, instead of failing to comprehend the terrible thing from the stars and barely escaping with your life as a gibbering wreck, you smash it in the face with a mace and throw poison bombs at it, which is not the vibe of his work

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
From here on out just imagine I posted "god drat this game fuckin sucks" after every update

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Reading that update and sighing so hard all the breath leaves my body and I die

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Was Lovecraft a normal racist by 1920s standards, or was he a turboracist?

He was so racist he could barely walk down the street without being driven into a fit of frothing rage and terror by the existence of black people

Other, contemporary racists were driven to reconsider their views after listening to him

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Viola the Mad posted:

I need details on this.

I want to say it was Robert E. Howard, or maybe August Derleth who corresponded with him and was basically like wow is that what we sound like? Maybe this whole miscegenation panic is a bit ridiculous?? I'm phone posting at work but I'll have a better look later

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

BisbyWorl posted:

So how long until Lovecraft's cat makes an appearance?

oh no. oh nooooo

they wouldn't

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Viola the Mad posted:

So what I'm getting out of this is that there is a lot of cool concepts in Lovecraft that are rich with potential for horror and/or killing monsters with shotguns, but the actual stories he wrote are too bogged down by his flaws as a writer. This might explain why In the Mountains of Madness didn't leave a strong impression on me.

...So are there any good stories written by other people that use those cosmic horrors well? Profoundly alien creatures have fascinated me for some time, which is why I've occasionally considered a foray into Lovecraft. But I don't know enough to be able to filter the good from the bad.

Seconding the recommendation of A Colder War. It's worth a look, it's not a long read but it's worth it. His Laundry Files series is worth checking out, it's set inside the British bureaucracy set up to combat the Lovecraftian horrors banging around the universe.

If you just want to read some Lovecraft read The Colour out of Space and The Rats in the Walls and stop there

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

anilEhilated posted:

I didn't mention it because it's not exactly horror; the first couple books are just Stross putting on styles of different authors and having fun with the Lovecraft mythos and then it basically becomes standard urban fantasy. Good if you just want to have entertaining romps with Lovecraftian trappings.

Yeah that's fair, the very first one is almost a modern day retelling of At the Mountains of Madness and then it kind of wanders into "what if you were the IT guy at Miskatonic" which is fun and novel to me, having never had an indoor job in my life

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
This sucks! It's loving stupid and I hate it! I'm actually starting to like other games more just because they're not this! Tides of Numenera, all is forgiven
'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The problem with Amalur is that it's just incredibly boring to play

It's like playing a single player MMO which is such a baffling choice to make for your gameplay

some plague rats fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Aug 5, 2020