Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«3 »
mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

"You are the best poster... do not let anyone say otherwise."

Watched 3 episodes so far. It's not great but I don't hate it either. It's pretty weird, I guess it's supposed to be The Office but "in space" (except not) and it's definitely not even as god as the US Office. I'm not mad that they're not tearing into MIC all the time but it's just kind of bland so far. The monkey business in ep. 2 was the most ridiculous/fun so far IMO. Hopefully it's more of that and less family drama nonsense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

I'm sure there's a good show somewhere in here, but the few episodes I watched come off as bland and unfocused. It's not clear to me what the writer's targets are or what they want to say. So much of the comedy plays second fiddle to banal platitudes and vague, uplifting messages. I suppose the inherent joke is that all the characters' achievements are in service of an absurd organization that should not exist, but that barely qualifies as observational humor. And, when the show periodically depicts Russia, China, and others as getting the leg up on the United States, it isn't clear that the Space Force is as an absurd concept in the show as in real life.

idk. I probably won't continue watching this. I like a lot of the comedic talent on screen but the script gives them almost nothing meaty to work with.

E: My other problem with the show is that it doesn't actually seem to understand the organization that it is mocking. Like, if this were a show about the 88-man service branch that controls, at most, an office in the Pentagon, that would be one thing. As Veep showed, there's a rich vein of comedy to be mined in portraying the powerless trying to appear powerful. Instead, the show skips over the satire and portrays a fantastical workplace comedy untethered from reality. I don't understand this world where Steve Carell commands a huge base in the middle of Colorado and can kidnap people at will (while still, inexplicably, being a joke to a bunch of high school students).

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Jun 9, 2020

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!

Pillbug

The bad parts were worth it to see Kaitlin Olson as Elizabeth Holmes.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

I love the series but the methods didn’t seem very threatening, which might’ve been part of the comedy. Those could’ve been three random people trying to chase her for no reason or unrelated.
The marital estrangement stuff hit me in the feels, not gonna lie. Steve Carell plays what could be a very stupid character as someone with leadership potential and emotional intelligence.

Pawn 17
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Grimey Drawer

I thought the show was good and had a lot of funny moments. I especially liked Yuri, gently caress Tony and Jimmy O.

And I think a lot of the hate is coming from people who were expecting a hard hitting and highly political comedy, which Space Force isn't. It's a comfortable dramedy with lovable characters in an absurd setting. If you can accept that, it will probably be a lot more watchable.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Yeah there’s probably an early version of this where the thesis was “having a space force would be stupid and sucks poo poo”, and it’s hard to get 10 episodes out of that

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

mobby_6kl posted:

The monkey business in ep. 2 was the most ridiculous/fun so far IMO.

Having finished the show that was the highlight of the season. Nothing came remotely close in terms of comedy.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Having watched this and Irresistable within a month of eachother, I'm of the opinion that Steve Carell can be a really funny guy, but writers are terrified of being accused of writing Michael Scott.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

"You are the best poster... do not let anyone say otherwise."

CarlosTheDwarf posted:

Having finished the show that was the highlight of the season. Nothing came remotely close in terms of comedy.

Finished the season last week and... yep, unfortunately. I think what I wanted from the show was, like someone said before here, VEEP but in space. Instead it's more like a goofy West Wing. Steve Carell can be great but here I think he's not being used to the full potential

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

I really disliked the ape episode because it felt like it was TOO wacky. The same goes for the chinese satellite attacking the american one.
Yet I was fine with the stuff later in the series - it felt silly in a way that fitted, I guess.

Martytoof
Feb 25, 2003

I agree. It’s very polarizing apparently, but the series hit all the good notes for me. Judging by the response online I seem to be in the minority.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Pawn 17 posted:

I thought the show was good and had a lot of funny moments. I especially liked Yuri, gently caress Tony and Jimmy O.

Somehow Brad always amuses me. How is he a one-star general?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates!

Small White Dragon posted:

Somehow Brad always amuses me. How is he a one-star general?

It's a pretty widely heard joke in the military that a one-star basically gets coffee for the three and four stars.

«3 »