Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
I'm glad I gave it the 3 episode test cuz I hated most of the supporting cast in the beginning but like The Office/PandR they start to gel at the end.

Brad especially was amazing by the end. "Good God, no wonder my dogs are afraid of you".

I definitely recommend just bearing this one out. First few eps are rocky but you get some gems.

The daughter's whole deal is incredibly tonally inconsistent though. It's like shoving a realistic portrayal of neglect in with wacky highjinks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Jerkface posted:

Yea if you don't have any personal political stakes in SF I can see how you can just enjoy it as its own concept. Just feels that for an american made show about a specific american embarrassment that it could be a bit more toothsome.

I also forgot this in my list above but throw this on the "bad" column: red baiting this with the chinese being major antagonists.

Will be very curious where they go in S2 given the cliff hanger.

I don't think the show is very smart so I'd bet money that at least a quarter of season 2 is about the American and Chinese space forces learning to cooperate to save their asses

I think the show is at its best when it's focused on its main premise of space forcing. When it tries to mock real politicians or celebrities of try to inject maudlin plotlines it just falls completely flat.

Same for the romance B plots. No one had any chemistry with anyone else except maybe Jimmy O Yang and that Major Ali character. Hell, even Lisa Kudrow was completely wasted.

Avenue 5 was better simply by virtue of knowing exactly what it is.