Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

How did I miss such an awesome pun?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

CainFortea posted:

How did I miss such an awesome pun?

The_Doctor posted:

S2ep09 - The Coming of Shadows

So G’Kar approached them with the plan ‘imma go stab the emperor, it definitely won’t have any repercussions.’ And the Narn government were all “Yes, solid plan, G’quanspeed.”?

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
S3E1 - Matters of Honor

Koshy boy. Being seen by so many at once was a great strain? That fits with it all being psychic projection.

"Nobody knows it was you"? What lol. I guess he was only near Delenn so no one else tied it to Kosh?

"I have always been here." Love this conversation. So many big sci-fi concepts that could be referring to, or just casual cryptic Vorlon nonsense. I'd give it good odds that that line is one of the most important in the entire series.

Kosh's "Good" whenever Sheridan says he doesn't understand Vorlons. Great start to the season. This is the first season purely by J.M.S. so I am looking forward to this

CGI has been improving steadily since season 1, this space battle actually looks kinda real, not like a PlayStation game anymore, so that's nice.

British guy! He's on the season header so I guess this is a new main cast member.

Hey, they gave Ivanova the season opener voiceover. :unsmith: welcome to 2260, the year of the Shadow War!

Yup there's Marcus Cole right up front in the intro credits. No Na'Toth though, I was hoping she'd be back with the original actress.

God Garibaldi's hair is worse than ever. New medbay set, wonder whether something happened to the old one, or if they just needed to spruce it up for all the inevitable scenes here once the SHADOW WAR begins. It was one of the worst sets, to be fair.

Let me guess, he's one of the Rangers?

Ahhh Londo. That's not how this kind of thing works. You have to know how hopeless this is, your race is locked in to this alliance now.

poo poo. Earth Alliance knows about the Shadows finally. Lol jk they just saw the vid.

I like Londo's justification for drinking 24/7, it being a duty. I should try that one on my boss. Centauri Dreams have been shown to be A Thing so that's not good.

This is some LOTR poo poo right here, I take it JMS is a fan. Cloaked rangers, special blood soaked jewelry.. the alliance of elves and man.

and now there's a loving barbarian in the down below they have to fight lmao

It feels like they're going to need a lot more than whatever the hell the rangers are good at to fight "thousands" of shadow ships.

Oh my God Garibaldi give up that strip of hair, it's ridiculous.

Ahh why is Sheridan personally flying this mission

Yup of course they don't specifically need Londo to maintain their ties to the Centauri.

Ohhh poo poo Zagro 7.

Whoa The White Star! Sick.

Ok I'm a big fan of Garibaldi's explanation for not knowing where the Captain is.

The White Star uses Vorlon technology! With artificial gravity! And disgusting looking denture bridge consoles!

At least the existence of this ship somewhat negates the problem of why Sheridan had to fly this mission.

G'Quan! Thousand year old religious scripture! The Shadows visiting the Narn world back in what I would guess are pre-technology days. Fascinating.

A little backstory for Aragorn here, not bad.

Not sure Ivanova makes the most sense to man this alien weapons system she was just shown.

Ohhhhh gently caress the Shadows.. not good. They knew they were going in to battle, so again questioning putting Sheridan in charge without full knowledge of the ship.

gently caress yes Sheridan's plan to open a jump up in the jump gate. Sick!!!!!

Earth Dome!

Oh gently caress Morden working with the humans. Psi cop saying "speed up the program here at home".. what is going on.

Also, yet another set on Babylon 5 that wasn't shown before.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

The_Doctor posted:

S2ep17 - Knives

I can’t believe they devoted valuable space to a baseball diamond. Please, that’s what the holodeck is for.

They don't have holodecks on Babylon 5.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

They don't have holodecks on Babylon 5.

:thejoke:

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

TheAardvark posted:

S3E1 - Matters of Honor

Koshy boy. Being seen by so many at once was a great strain? That fits with it all being psychic projection.

"Nobody knows it was you"? What lol. I guess he was only near Delenn so no one else tied it to Kosh?

"I have always been here." Love this conversation. So many big sci-fi concepts that could be referring to, or just casual cryptic Vorlon nonsense. I'd give it good odds that that line is one of the most important in the entire series.

Kosh's "Good" whenever Sheridan says he doesn't understand Vorlons. Great start to the season. This is the first season purely by J.M.S. so I am looking forward to this

CGI has been improving steadily since season 1, this space battle actually looks kinda real, not like a PlayStation game anymore, so that's nice.

British guy! He's on the season header so I guess this is a new main cast member.

Hey, they gave Ivanova the season opener voiceover. :unsmith: welcome to 2260, the year of the Shadow War!

Yup there's Marcus Cole right up front in the intro credits. No Na'Toth though, I was hoping she'd be back with the original actress.

God Garibaldi's hair is worse than ever. New medbay set, wonder whether something happened to the old one, or if they just needed to spruce it up for all the inevitable scenes here once the SHADOW WAR begins. It was one of the worst sets, to be fair.

Let me guess, he's one of the Rangers?

Ahhh Londo. That's not how this kind of thing works. You have to know how hopeless this is, your race is locked in to this alliance now.

poo poo. Earth Alliance knows about the Shadows finally. Lol jk they just saw the vid.

I like Londo's justification for drinking 24/7, it being a duty. I should try that one on my boss. Centauri Dreams have been shown to be A Thing so that's not good.

This is some LOTR poo poo right here, I take it JMS is a fan. Cloaked rangers, special blood soaked jewelry.. the alliance of elves and man.

and now there's a loving barbarian in the down below they have to fight lmao

It feels like they're going to need a lot more than whatever the hell the rangers are good at to fight "thousands" of shadow ships.

Oh my God Garibaldi give up that strip of hair, it's ridiculous.

Ahh why is Sheridan personally flying this mission

Yup of course they don't specifically need Londo to maintain their ties to the Centauri.

Ohhh poo poo Zagro 7.

Whoa The White Star! Sick.

Ok I'm a big fan of Garibaldi's explanation for not knowing where the Captain is.

The White Star uses Vorlon technology! With artificial gravity! And disgusting looking denture bridge consoles!

At least the existence of this ship somewhat negates the problem of why Sheridan had to fly this mission.

G'Quan! Thousand year old religious scripture! The Shadows visiting the Narn world back in what I would guess are pre-technology days. Fascinating.

A little backstory for Aragorn here, not bad.

Not sure Ivanova makes the most sense to man this alien weapons system she was just shown.

Ohhhhh gently caress the Shadows.. not good. They knew they were going in to battle, so again questioning putting Sheridan in charge without full knowledge of the ship.

gently caress yes Sheridan's plan to open a jump up in the jump gate. Sick!!!!!

Earth Dome!

Oh gently caress Morden working with the humans. Psi cop saying "speed up the program here at home".. what is going on.

Also, yet another set on Babylon 5 that wasn't shown before.

I have literally used Garibaldi’s line about not telling himself things at work before

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Season 3 opening narration

IT FAILED

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

sebmojo posted:

IT FAILED

This is why I've decided that SHADOW WAR is only properly written in ALL CAPS.

SHADOW WAR

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

sebmojo posted:

IT FAILED

BOOM BOOM CLANG

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

TheAardvark posted:

This is why I've decided that SHADOW WAR is only properly written in ALL CAPS.

SHADOW WAR

Sounds like a Shatner novel.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

S2ep16 - In the Shadow of Z’ha’dum

“Come captain, the greatest nightmare of our time is waiting for you.”

Those are absolutely the same Narn actors just looping around. The Narn refugees C plot has given us some great bits from Franklin. Biggs is not an amazing actor, but he’s got workman like skill, and has been giving his absolute best over the past few eps, and I can’t help but praise him for it.

I love that Vir has Morden’s number completely, and despises him accordingly. Plus it’s clearly reciprocated in that Morden is aware his tricks don’t seem to work on Vir either. His speech and little wave is so, so good. :allears: God, I hope he gets to do it one day. Morden is too slimy to live.

I can see why Knives come first. Seeing his wife’s ship explode in Sheridan’s vision last week gives him the impetus to finally deal with it this week. Also the ship exploding was apparently a lie? The story as relayed about the Icarus seemed to mostly be the movie Prometheus (ship lands on ancient dead planet, starts investigating, wakes up ancient evil, crew mostly die, etc). Some lived, agreeing to work for the Shadows, others resisted and died. Maybe that was the vision Sheridan saw? The resisting crew trying to escape Z’ha’dum and the ship being destroyed in the process? Or were his visions purely the creations of his mind/memory? But holy poo poo, Morden was on his wife’s ship? Legally dead, but keeping himself off radar as not to call attention.

I have to imagine Anna Sheridan is still alive, since the question never got answered either way. Are there then other Shadow agents from the Icarus crew around the place, manipulating events to their own ends? With the way telepaths react to the Shadows, could Psi-Corps be being infiltrated? Potentially they’re also a useful ally? Definitely there’s some role to play.

Sheridan’s interrogation of Morden is the good man going to war that we’ve not seen yet. His time in B5 so far has been being punched repeatedly, and now just as he’s getting some closure on one thing, a kick comes. He freely admits to going off the rails, but at the same time is completely self-aware of his stepping into darkness.

Talia seeing Morden and having the same falling into shadow effect that Delenn saw is very interesting. But the Shadows themselves! I have to assume they’re a little ethereal or something, because Morden is ‘never alone’, but has 3 with him in his cell at the end there, and they ain’t small. 3 big nightmare shaped creatures ducking around security and rushing through doors just being invisible is a hilarious thought. Therefore I’m going to assume they’re slightly out of phase in stealth mode and able to pass through solid objects. That said, the mere concept that he is constantly surrounded by Shadows is vaguely terrifying. Also, it absolutely clears up what happened to Kosh way back when he told Morden to leave, and that’s what necessitated the repair of his encounter suit. Kosh vs Shadows battle on B5!

Delenn and Kosh appearing outside Medlab is an understated ‘oh poo poo’ moment, taking Sheridan to the PowerPoint presentation of Doom. Kosh confirms that his true form would be recognised easily, but by everyone? That’s a interesting question in of itself. We don’t really know enough about the other races that we could take a stab at what that could reasonably be.

They talked around it slightly confusingly, but Delenn said there’s only one First One remaining - Kosh. So he’s not a Vorlon? Or he is, and the rest of the Vorlons aren’t First Ones/as ancient as he is? Or the First Ones are a bunch of races and the only remaining race are the Vorlons?

The very minor B plot setting up more Earth plot feels a little out of place amongst all the revelations, but they make it work. The Ministry of Peace is very totalitarian sounding (it’s literally from 1984), and look, they’re handing out black armbands to join their new enterprise! Maccabee’s actor hits just the right notes of talking around the concept of Night Watch pleasantly without really saying anything. The closest he comes is about putting down ‘harmful ideas’, which is where the questions start. Who decides what ideas are harmful? The invitations to join the lectures for a select few include Talia and Zack. What are the criteria for inclusion? Zack seems easily led, but Talia is much more sceptical. My mind puts this as yet another Psi-corps plot, but to what end? Are they just creating a little militia of brownshirts to report on their neighbours?

And finally we have a name for Mr Morden’s friends and ancient evil from beyond time - The Shadows! It feels both completely apt and rather trite as names go, but makes all the ‘watch the shadows’ ‘The Coming of Shadows’ bits make much more sense now. So it turns out Sinclair does know a lot of the backstory already, presumably as do his Rangers. I guess the forces of light are starting to amass, albeit just off screen. This episode serves to make things a lot more explicit, to key in the viewer to plot elements and mysteries it’s been dancing around for some time now. It feels like a new direction has been announced, and it’s all been leading up to this checkpoint. Considering it’s only 2/3rds of the way through season 2, this Great War is now front and centre for me. There’s so much to unpack in this episode, and I love it! Try not to go to Z’ha’dum any time soon Sheridan. :ohdear:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The_Doctor posted:

They talked around it slightly confusingly, but Delenn said there’s only one First One remaining - Kosh. So he’s not a Vorlon? Or he is, and the rest of the Vorlons aren’t First Ones/as ancient as he is? Or the First Ones are a bunch of races and the only remaining race are the Vorlons?

It's the last one. The dialogue there is confusing and it tripped up enough people that JMS felt the need to clarify in the ensuing discussion. The intended message is that the Vorlons are the remaining First Ones, and that Kosh is one of them.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

The_Doctor posted:

Maccabee’s actor

Who also played Reed Richards in the Roger Corman Fantastic Four

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Who also played Reed Richards in the Roger Corman Fantastic Four

Oh! Ha, I’ve seen a couple of clips from that, it’s wild. I remember Johnny Storm was the android from the Not Quite Human films.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

The_Doctor posted:

Those are absolutely the same Narn actors just looping around.

Yeah, you start to notice the same handful of actors doing most of the full-face aliens - the Drazi and the Narn in particular tend to be the same three or four guys every time they appear.

Not the only show to do this, of course. Star Trek had the same couple of guys playing half the Ferengi that appeared in TNG.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I was smiling imagining the actors walking out of the edge of shot, running around back to the airlock door and coming out with a new way of limping. There’s a scene in the first episode of Black Books where you get a string of policemen chasing someone out a window. You quickly realise it’s the same 4 police running through the room’s door, out the window/fire escape, and then running around back to the door again. It’s a great bit. :allears:

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Full face prosthetics are so horrendous to wear and put on/take off that when you find someone willing to do it you're going to keep giving them work. Also saves money as a nice side effect.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Tsaedje posted:

Full face prosthetics are so horrendous to wear and put on/take off that when you find someone willing to do it you're going to keep giving them work. Also saves money as a nice side effect.

It also allows you to make full face prosthetics for extras on a TV schedule. Star Trek had defined aliens as "humans with funny foreheads" because it was easy and quick - need a Klingon for a background scene? Grab a Cornish pasty from the canteen and the spirit gum. B5 wanted its aliens to look more alien, so they took the route of building a small repertory company to play minor alien parts. In that way they could keep a bust of the actor and rapidly make up a mask for any race they might be needed to play.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
One thing I keep coming back to, since the first full assembly scene, is just how much costume/make-up work all of that must have required. There's like 20 people in full prosthetic. I wonder how big the staff was for that on B5 compared to other shows - I guess Star Trek had a bigger budget, but still.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
The 'Babylon Players', those extras who show up doing all the various alien roles, are one of the best parts of the series.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

TheAardvark posted:

One thing I keep coming back to, since the first full assembly scene, is just how much costume/make-up work all of that must have required. There's like 20 people in full prosthetic. I wonder how big the staff was for that on B5 compared to other shows - I guess Star Trek had a bigger budget, but still.

I seem to remember that a lot of those full costumes were permanent pieces that were attached to/draped over/placed on the actors whole or in large parts, thus reducing the amount of actual makeup time.

The Narn and Minbari had it the worst, in that they were actual makeup and took hours to prep. Stuff like the Pak'ma'ra were more like Halloween costumes that the actors just put on, and then were touched up as necessary.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The Kosh costume was apparently a nightmare for the actor to deal with. That's the only one I remember reading.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

The Kosh costume was apparently a nightmare for the actor to deal with. That's the only one I remember reading.

It looks like it’d be hell to wear. I’ve been vaguely looking at Kosh cosplay possibilities in the last couple of weeks, and doing a breakdown of what it’d require. Basically you’re putting a lot of weight on your shoulders, and that’s less than ideal.

MikusR
Jan 5, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

It looks like it’d be hell to wear. I’ve been vaguely looking at Kosh cosplay possibilities in the last couple of weeks, and doing a breakdown of what it’d require. Basically you’re putting a lot of weight on your shoulders, and that’s less than ideal.

Put the head and shoulders on a broom an make a taller cloak.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

MikusR posted:

Put the head and shoulders on a broom an make a taller cloak.

I’m 6’4 already, any taller and doors would become an issue.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

You could probably make the carapace out of light thermoformed plastic and attach that to an American football shoulder pad setup. That kind of looks like what Kosh is wearing anyway. The helmet, not sure what you'd have to do there.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

A (very tiny) wheelbarrow with a flashlight on front.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

The_Doctor posted:

I’m 6’4 already, any taller and doors would become an issue.

You've hit on my favorite dumb thing about the Kosh costume: It doesn't fit through the doors on Babylon 5. This is why Kosh is always mysteriously already standing there in any scene he appears in.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

I want to say the original was fiberglass but I can’t find any evidence of that with a quick search. In any case you could (relatively) easily make something vacuform or even warbla foam. The glossy finish might be tough on warbla though.

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.

The_Doctor posted:

I would make a frame on wheels. It would hold up the top of the suit, and then the cloak drapes around you. Angle the middle of the frame inward and move slowly to prevent it from being obviously a curtain over a frame (heavy fabric would also help with this). The frame would also have the front translator thingie mounted onto it.

The head would be worn like a hat and you'd use a thin, dark fabric for the front of the neck so that you could see out and others couldn't see in. You'd probably still want a spotter to accompany you in public though, so you didn't bash into things at your sides.

although you already being super tall may make the hat style unfeasible..

comedy option, get a wheelchair and build it around that.

hello yes I used to think a lot about cosplaying robots

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

One of the easier aliens to do was basically just a gas mask.

There was one alien who was just a puppet. But if you're watching season 2, you probably noticed that he stopped showing up because the showrunners weren't satisfied with the effect. Which I feel is a shame.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Go as a Centauri.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
go as garibaldi. what's the worst looking strip of hair you can pull off?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

One of the easier aliens to do was basically just a gas mask.

Morpheus? :stare:

Are they background League of Non-Aligned Worlds?

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

The_Doctor posted:

I think I mentioned this earlier in the thread but once they were done with the Kosh costume the showrunners took it to the lot out front and dragged it behind a pickup truck because everyone hated it so much.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

ultrafilter posted:

Go as a Centauri.

Londo is on my cosplay list once my sewing gets good enough to make the coat. Unfortunately the library's maker space with the sewing machines has been closed because pandemic.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Polaron posted:

I think I mentioned this earlier in the thread but once they were done with the Kosh costume the showrunners took it to the lot out front and dragged it behind a pickup truck because everyone hated it so much.

One of them definitely survived, as it was on display in 2012.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2lqQ965xjE

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

TheAardvark posted:

I used to have a behind the scenes book where they talked about how the big crowd scenes worked. Basically, they'd have maybe half a dozen full-quality, high-detail costumes and use those for the people closest to the camera or anyone who had a talking part. Then there would be 10-15 less detailed, "good enough for 20 feet away" outfits that took less time and effort. Then, there would be the bulk crowd makeup, which wasn't designed to hold up to scrutiny, but could be quickly applied to 30-40 people to fill in the backs of mobs.

This meant that whenever they wanted to change the camera angle to get a reverse shot of a crowd, they'd have to rearrange everyone according to their new distance from the camera.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Vavrek posted:

You've hit on my favorite dumb thing about the Kosh costume: It doesn't fit through the doors on Babylon 5. This is why Kosh is always mysteriously already standing there in any scene he appears in.

Another example of how a limitation leads to something that greatly enhances the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Well, he's always been here after all.

MonsieurChoc fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jul 30, 2020