Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Polaron posted:

I'm honestly not sure what is throwing you here, but (spoilers up until the episode Tom is asking about, but mostly from season 2 episode 6) Kosh was the Vorlon ambassador, but not the only remaining Vorlon or the last First One. The Vorlon race was the one First One race who stuck around after the last Shadow War that Delenn was referring to in 'In The Shadow of Z'ha'dum'. Delenn's next sentence during that reveal is "For centuries the Vorlons stood alone, the last remaining guardians".

I'd have to go back and rewatch it, but I recall the way it was worded that it sounded as if the vorlons and kosh were separate and the vorlons were still around but kosh was the last of the oldest ones or something, that made it confusing.

Anyways, s3e16, war without end

only half way through but they just did the bombshell drop of what happened to babylon 4, and that is some wicked cool time paradox stuff.

EDIT:
That was cool, i'm curious how this sinclair time fuckery plays into things, but man Londo sucks in any time frame lol. I'm going to assume in part 2 sheridan takes b4 back 1,000 years and acts as the hero of the war back then and writes the note to himself.

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Mar 25, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

s3e17 war without end pt. 2

Wow when they set up weird fuckery in the original babylon 4 episode, I wondered if they would be able to pay it off adequately, and 2 years later they really did. Everything hooked back up in a very satisfying way. Sinclair becoming the legendary hero couldn't have been telegraphed harder from the first time they said the stuff about the minbari not born of minbari or whatever, but it was still a very satisfying conclusion. It really really makes me wonder what the hell would have been the original plan if the actor hadn't left the show. Would they have been replaced anyways for the following seasons?

Also really wondering what is implied with all the Delenn stuff, the mysterious figure in the time jump, and then it being her instead of sinclair greeting the werid time guy in the space suit.

And what the hell weird those weird rear end Dnyarri guys on Londo's neck? Wasn't expecting G'kar's strangling premonition to be a mercy killing. It feels like itse setting up for a sequel series after the shadows are defeated or something like that, but i dunno, they were certainly out of left field.

I thought maybe this episode when I saw the setup would answer a lot of questions, but it only invited a dozen more questions!

Really good though and paid off well.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I'm obviously not going to say anything now, but when you finish up come by the main thread and we'll fill you in.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

1x18: TKO.

I feel like I write too much in these posts, so I'll just make random observations instead:

o "Zima"? Really dates this episode quite a bit. The civilian clothing also looks straight out of a 1994 JC Penney catalog, if I'm going to be honest.
o Although I'm not Jewish, my sense is that this episode handles the Jewish faith with a lot of sensitivity and respect. The more they expand on Ivanova's character the better I like her.
o Smith's story could have been a cliche-ridden mess and it wasn't. I like how some aliens didn't like humans intruding on 'their' cultures; more of that in sci-fi, please!
o Soon Tek-Oh is always great in whatever role he plays.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I feel like I write too much in these posts, so I'll just make random observations instead:

o "Zima"? Really dates this episode quite a bit. The civilian clothing also looks straight out of a 1994 JC Penney catalog, if I'm going to be honest.
o Although I'm not Jewish, my sense is that this episode handles the Jewish faith with a lot of sensitivity and respect. The more they expand on Ivanova's character the better I like her.
o Smith's story could have been a cliche-ridden mess and it wasn't. I like how some aliens didn't like humans intruding on 'their' cultures; more of that in sci-fi, please!

The more the better! It might feel like you're talking into the void but I promise you there are a bunch of people reading them and it's extremely fun reading people's observations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

sebmojo posted:

The more the better! It might feel like you're talking into the void but I promise you there are a bunch of people reading them and it's extremely fun reading people's observations.

Yes, we don't say a lot because we don't want to blow it for you but we're here. :cheerdoge:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Midjack posted:

Yes, we don't say a lot because we don't want to blow it for you but we're here. :cheerdoge:

Yup, we talk about people's observations ITT over in the spoiler-laden thread. :justpost: and then come join us beyond the Rim when you finish.

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

whoops, turns out i forgot to post (and often make) notes in the past month. theyre all bad and completely unedited except for spoiler tags so feel free to skip

this post will be season 3

S3e4 passing through Gethsemane - I know they said a few weeks had passed but holy moly that felt fast. Dude gets arrested for murder and basically executed the very next scene. "I confess!" alright lads you heard him, set phasers to JellyBrain - his walking corpse is needed about two levels down to slather some irony on Sheridan's face

I wonder how consistent they are with relocating mindwipees, like does a psyop at Babylon pass the same 3 people they essentially murdered every day on the way to buy bread? This whole psy corp thing is amazingly twisted, especially for something that just kinda hangs around in the background most of the time. Just a whole bunch of attractive young fascist death squads, wholly owned, monopolized, controlled by, and loyal to a semi shadow state, used to literally execute people, spy on trade (and diplomatic?) negotiations, literally read people's thoughts.. oof. I'm imagining Sheridan, "what? Of course we're the good guys. Every completely normal society has roving bands of indoctrinated jackboots who kidnap children, read your mind, and rip the soul outta your body if you're naughty. And it's my duty to defend those brave patriots"

S3e5 - voices of authority - G'Kar is so great

Ohhh a political officer, Nazi Division. Throw her out the airlock. Come on Sheridan put your money where your mouth is. Do the coup

"Good luck captain. You're about to go where I think everyone has gone before" oh ivanova

S3e10 - in the middle of constant space combat and gunfight scenes, at a certain point they cut back to Garibaldi and the Narn repelling boarders and.. it's just devolved into a pub fight. People punching each other, holding a soldier's arms behind his back as another guy punches him.. what on earth. It was pretty Battlestar Galactica until that point

S3e15 - ohh so that's what shadows look like

Man Sheridan has about the same range as Sinclair. He yells a lot and that's about it

Oh Kosh died. You kinda figure he'd maybe have arranged for a bit more protection if he knew the shadows would come for him in revenge, but I guess this is more dramatic

Londo you are so bad at everything. You have the mentality of a horny 13 year old boy, stop trying to play the game of Empires. Just retire and become a full time loafer and all round chill guy, it's what you're good at. This politics thing is not your forte

Also I like that they finally started playing the longer game with character development, at least with the doctor and his stim addiction. Although now I imagine it's the next step to him doing.. something, plot related

Oh I forgot to mention but in the recent episodes this season, with all the space battles with earth, I can finally see all the cgi stuff paying off. it really made me want to re-watch the BSG remake, that poo poo was great

S3e16 ohhh dang Sinclair is back, baby. Lay those eyebrows on me

Also I've though this multiple times but forgot to write it down -- I love the *shrug, smile, move on -- all in 0.02s* that people have when the script just has some character ending on a pithy line but they still gotta film the reaction. I remember a scene from a couple episodes ago where Sheridan says something super weird to end a conversation in that cheesy sci fi kinda way, and Ivanova just nods and immediately turns away like "yep not getting into that", but then he remembers he also has something normal to ask her. I love watching the way different actors decide to react to different bizarre "that's the end of the scene, but make sure it ends on a dun dun DUNNNN" lines

Like that scene in garth Marenghi where some character throws out the cut to commercial line, but they keep filming as they turn around and march awkwardly off into the distance for forever and a day. So good

Hm.. Sinclair doesn't look so good. Poor guy. Forget what I said about Sheridan having the same range.. Sinclair is worse. But Sheridan ain't great

S3e17 - .. just finished this two parter and i wasn't really following it at all, goldfish attention span got the better of me. I have the impression these were important and I'm gonna regret that.. whoops. Maybe I get it when I rewatch the series at some point

S3e19 - Garibaldi how many times do you need to make the same mistake before you learn.. report in and let people know where you are and what you know before you go galavanting about into almost certain hosed up danger. Who is going to find you?? Terrible head of security, just inexcusable

Oh and a creepy chucky type doll, lmao

S3e22- Sheridan's wife comes back, immediately has mega creep vibes. If Sheridan is anything other than "this is a huge mind gently caress but obviously you are mixed up in something incredibly dodgy so I'm going to let ivanova and Garibaldi interrogate you for a few weeks" he's the biggest dumb dumb in the history of ever

Like, I know she's lying and so forth but this whole dynamic is like, Sheridan, is this actually the woman you married and fell in love with? What kind of standards do you have? "Oh yeah she was always doing cute things like stealing my blood and standing over me with a knife while I slept, that's how you know it's true love. God I missed her"

Lol I refuse to believe he's going to zahadum with her. Just eject her into the nearest black hole.. wait he just arrived. I honestly thought it was a scam, there's no way. This is Kang and Kodos run for US president levels of deception, but what's greatest is that so far Sheridan is like "hm she's just the same as she ever was, i.e. a cartoon serial killer, but there's something about her story that just doesn't add up!"

Oh so this is a sloppy soap opera writing kinda episode so far. Main guy does something that makes no sense, goes to baddies lair for some hamfisted monologuing exposition

Where'd they find this Einstein looking guy, he's awful

Ok and Sheridan just nuked himself in the middle of some more terrible writing. I'm assuming he's not dead but how come ivanova telepathically thinks he is ?? Huh

And Garibaldi got nabbed. I gotta say, that was a very underwhelming season finale, especially being the first time we see zahadum and the shadows start to speak their plans? Not sure I believe it either, I can't tell if it's fakeout cheesy or legitimate cheesy

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

i obviously have been getting spottier and spottier with thoughts and notes, but heres where im up to with season 4

S4e5 - the long night - well hello there Bryan Cranston, you're looking very young and tidy

S4e6 - into the fire - nothing particularly revelatory here, just small observations like... Londo seems to have a single framed photo in his chambers, and its of himself. Lmao

And also, fascist earth has been super quiet for a long time, new villains after the vorlons/shadows gently caress off? Would be a more tangible enemy for the rest of the series, tie nicely into "well now you need to learn to manage yourselves (and not turn fascist)" and I imagine earth could pump out a pretty nasty fleet, maybe with technology stolen from the minbari or even the shadows

I will say that the vorlons/shadows going "oh jeez we been left home alone for too long, we done messed up" and pissing off fell a little flat for me. Complete 180 from their arrogance up to this point, although I get the thematic point

e: ok reading these notes again, i feel compelled to clarify that on monday i just got diagnosed with ADHD, so apologies for the nonsense. I am still enjoying it so far but i am just not going to be the person that consistently analyses and remembers stuff and Does Good Posts

boofhead fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Mar 25, 2023

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
There are no wrong or right ways to enjoy B5. I hope you still do enjoy it, but if you don't like certain plot threads, or certain characters, that's totally fine. It's always interesting to see newbies react to the show, especially those who are familiar with more contemporary sci-fi like the new BSG.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Midjack posted:

Very much this. It's hard to respond to things without spoiling anything else even unintentionally.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

TK-42-1 posted:

Very much this. It's hard to respond to things without spoiling anything else even unintentionally.

Yeah the whole plot from start to finish was allegedly written out in in quite some detail for a series bible JMS shopped around, so there's a lot of things that someone who's completed the series might casually mention thinking nothing of it not realizing it was slowly teased out across multiple seasons.

Season 1 is before JMS started having to deal with major actor issues, network futzing with everything, and in general all the problems that came with trying to run a serial show in an era where they kind of didn't exist.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

My favorite character so far is Londo Mollari. He's a lot of fun; I'd hang with him and explain the intricacies of the Hokey Pokey.

Also, holy poo poo - it didn't register for me at first that the Minbari have someone named 'Dukat'. That's a really interesting coincidence (no, I don't necessarily buy the theory that the B5 writers stole from DS9 or vice versa).

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Mar 26, 2023

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

s3e18 walkabout

I really really like the way they're approaching this war, where they basically are running tests to see what they can even do, methodically. It feels very down to earth and un-dramatic in a good way. I feel like this is all leading up to some big team up with psy corps since they didn't seem to be in on the alien invasion, and, well... they need psychics.

It feels like a real turning point for them, they finally have something they can do, instead of the nothing they have been doing.

Also lmao if sheridan has kosh's god drat katra in his head and he's going to be some weird vorlan imbued thing.

Edit, lol i realize I didn't even mention the whole title plot of the episode, but all the walkabout stuff was so forgettable.

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Mar 26, 2023

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

I love this episode because the B-plot is a wonderfully scripted and acted story, full of deeply human moments, and the A-plot is dumb dumb dogshit. I never remember they're in the same episode and it surprises me every time.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

s3e19 grey 17 is missing.

Here we come to the episode finally that tipped me over the edge to finally watching this show and it was a missed opportunity, lol.

A while ago in one of the star trek threads when the dumb as poo poo turbolift dimention on DISCO, I made some joke about finding a group of officers who got lost in the turbolift dimension and went all primitive, only for someone to mention there was an episode of babylon 5 like that. Its such a great premise the way its done too, at least at the start, a missing floor creepy! What a good concept! But then it ends up like a joke B story and resolves itself with no fanfare.

Really sad, I was hoping to see more out of it.

On the plus side though, the other story I was pleasantly surprised by. Not necessarily in how it was done or the overall plot, but I love the fact it was setting up yet another alliance race become fractured no doubt because of shadow influence, but instead the hard rear end dude totally comes around. It was nice to see them not falling apart like I thought they would.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

s3e20 and the rock cried out, no hiding place

Man... I'm not even up to the opening credits yet and I'm being reminded how much I hate Londo. God he's awful, I hate how jovial and silly he's treated by the show when he's like the galaxy's #1 dickbag.

edit: This conversation with Vir? Yeah, Londo can't gently caress off and die soon enough.

edit 2: lmao ok, that reveal and the music playing, that was glorious. Absolutely wonderful stuff. Still a dick way to treat Vir, even if he felt he needed him for his plan, i mean its not like Londo coming out on top is some great thing, he's been a dickbag the whole series. Also poo poo, they really put together a fleet, wasn't quite expecting they were going to put that much together. This countdown though is loving ominous.

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Mar 26, 2023

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

The rock cried out… is probably my second favorite episode of the series. I loved everything about it.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

ConfusedUs posted:

The rock cried out… is probably my second favorite episode of the series. I loved everything about it.

Easily one of the high points of the show.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

boofhead posted:

And Garibaldi got nabbed. I gotta say, that was a very underwhelming season finale, especially being the first time we see zahadum and the shadows start to speak their plans? Not sure I believe it either, I can't tell if it's fakeout cheesy or legitimate cheesy

G'Kar's speech at the end totally redeems it though.

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Alhazred posted:

G'Kar's speech at the end totally redeems it though.

oh yeah, its a nice one - a little summation of the whole premise of the show. bu g'kar's actor is such a standout performance in every way, he has just been nailing the whole thing from start to finish, so that even the occasional cheesy/camp sci-fi stuff is forgiven -- like, a couple times when posing for a fight he hisses and holds out his 'claws' like a cat?? somehow completely permissible because g'kar is just so good. i've loved londo since the start too but when it comes to tugging at the emotional heartstrings and pulling off a dramatic/pivotal moment, g'kar is unrivalled

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

1x19 and 20: A Voice in the Wilderness.

I'm not sure where to even begin.

Episode reminded me a bit of both Spock's Brain and The Tholian Web, with a dash or two of the "rear end in a top hat admiral" syndrome that Star Trek has across all its series (almost every officer superior to Sinclair, if not every one, has been a power hungry dipshit so far). B5 is an interesting series because elements of it remind me of both BSG and DS9 (as I've said many times before), but it's not really like either one.

One thing I've enjoyed in the first season (I'm assuming this continues later) is the implication that while Sinclair tries to keep B5 multicultural and peaceful, Earth is pretty dystopian. Not many details are given about why Mars is in revolt but - and maybe this is my leftism coming out - there seems to be a strong hint that the colony there is a backwater that is underserved by the idiots that are in charge on Earth. There have been other hints that things are not at all as they seem on Earth (Bester, PsyCorp, etc).

Although I've grown to like Ivanova, I'm not so much a fan of the way she's written sometimes. The "I'm Russian, btw" stuff is straight out of the Chekov playbook, and the over-the-top "Ivanova is god" speech was a bit much for me. I don't blame Claudia Christian's acting; I think '90s sci-fi writing simply doesn't know how to write a woman too well.

Random observation: Babylon 5's handling of labor disputes is a little cheesy but it - and DS9: Bar Association - is far better than the way a similar labor revolt is handled on the remastered BSG.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Mar 27, 2023

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

s3e21 shadow dancing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrfAWHHVz50

But in all seriousness :v: I'm glad they're wrapping up the doctors 'walkabout' stuff, and doubly glad its being wrapped up with "you're an idiot thinking you're looking for some great truth. get back to things" lol. That whole plot was very meh.

The whole space battle really shows where the shows cheap looking cgi, is also its strength for the mid 90's and lets them shoot the kind of thing they otherwise could never have gotten away with. It was pretty well done too and its neat how the war is kind of super slow building to this point where they could finally turn them back, it feels organic in their growth and learning how to fight them off, yet they still weren't able to do so without losing a bucketload of ships in their fleet.

Its nice to see the captain actually telling them about his visions with kosh, I hate when characters refuse to talk about elements of whats going on to others in the story for contrived reasons, which leads me to...

s3e22 Z'Ha'Dum

Holy poo poo thats a season finale.

Everything about this was fantastic. I was getting started on groaning about him giving in to a trap with neon signs around it because the plot demanded it, which is one of the things I hate most in shows. That contrived, "gorsh, I guess I should turn hostile to my friends and other trusted people on a whim to fall into an obvious trap, oh no!" is one of the worst thing, and I thought this episode was going to do that, but this show as a whole, Babylon 5, has been so incredibly smart to pull back almost every time those annoying plot contrivances happen. People actually talk to each other, reveal things, and trust things, and actually think.

The fact he knew it all, didn't trust any of it, and then his reasoning for going anyways was great. He's being just incredibly proactive for the story, seeing what happened and trying to actually use that knowledge to change things, or cut the gordian knot. Pretty hosed up thing to find out about his wife, but man oh man that reveal, that amazing reveal the second g'kar's words "but two of the nukes are missing... " leave his lips... just :discourse:

You know exactly whats going to happen (or at least what you hope will) from that second and you're loving every second of it, and they delivered it in spades. A lesser show would have his plan get foiled and the shadows capture the ship and him before he has a chance to blow it up, but they have really done well paying off everything and not falling into dumb writing brain.

I feel like he's not going to be dead, what with the kosh vision telling him to jump and all, that seems obvious. But i'm incredibly curious how he survives that.

Still, man that was a beautiful season ending show. This show really deserves its accolades.

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Mar 27, 2023

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
It has been an absolute pleasure to read your B5 experience evolve. One of the few shows where vicariously experiencing someone watch it for the first time is almost as good as doing it yourself.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

1x21: Babylon Squared.

Expectation: A scenario similar to the reappearance of Battlestar Pegasus, where the commander is a dickhead (continuing with the 'rear end in a top hat admiral' trope) and fights Sinclair over jurisdictional matters.

Reality: :tviv: I kind of thought something like that was coming, but holy loving poo poo! I would almost bet real money that Sinclair and Delenn's stories here are intertwined; especially since there's a lot more to the 'last 24 hours of the Earth-Minbari War' stuff than we yet know.

However, a minor quibble: It would be great if there was a science fiction show where humans weren't the center of the universe. We're hairless apes who are only a few thousand years removed from dragging our knuckles on the ground; how "important" and "special" could we idiots actually be to anyone?

I'm really looking forward to seeing where this goes now. It's really getting good.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Mar 27, 2023

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

However, a minor quibble: It would be great if there was a science fiction show where humans weren't the center of the universe. We're hairless apes who are only a few thousand years removed from dragging our knuckles on the ground; how "important" and "special" could we idiots actually be to anyone?

Makeup's cheaper for humans.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Expectation: A scenario similar to the reappearance of Battlestar Pegasus, where the commander is a dickhead (continuing with the 'rear end in a top hat admiral' trope) and fights Sinclair over jurisdictional matters.

Reality: :tviv: I kind of thought something like that was coming, but holy loving poo poo! I would almost bet real money that Sinclair and Delenn's stories here are intertwined; especially since there's a lot more to the 'last 24 hours of the Earth-Minbari War' stuff than we yet know.

I'm really looking forward to seeing where this goes now. It's really getting good.

:gaz:

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

this really is where the show felt like it was picking up and being something a bit more special. You kinda need that first season to slowly introduce you to the setting and player though

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I wasn't going to watch another episode today, but today's news sucks so much poo poo that I needed an escape. So....

1x22: Legacies.

(To Tom Guycot's post) There has been a pretty steady increase in quality throughout the season. The pilot was not bad but a little on the cheesy side; especially the acting. The actor quality in particular has generally gotten better (a notable exception was the commander of B4, who I thought was a tad over the top).

The fact that there doesn't seem to be a lot of distrust and bigotry between humans and Minbari, even a mere ten years after the war, is a really interesting facet of Babylon 5. Even in Star Trek, Miles O'Brien was dealing with his feelings about the Cardassians years after the Federation had waged war against them (TNG: The Wounded). It's a bit overly optimistic to think that all "Earthers" (aside from the xeophobes) are accepting of the Minbari, but it's nice to see that some bad blood still remains.

Parading the body of someone the commander of the station fought against in the war is an ultimate 'gently caress you' move. Although I like Sinclair I have to give props to the Minbari for having the balls to do something like that.

In a series that depicts uneasy situations and resolutions, I thought the solution to Alisa's dilemma was a bit easy. The thing is, I tend to agree with Ivanova that the Psi Corp is real 1984 poo poo. However, she was very clearly letting her (understandable) baggage about her mom color the information she was feeding to Alisa. That's not to say that Talia was any 'better', but 2258 Earth's treatment of telepaths sucks.

I thought this was the final episode of the season, but Tubi TV tells me that Chrysalis is next, so I suppose I'll find out the hidden meaning that Delenn was trying to keep hidden in her mind.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Mar 28, 2023

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

S4e1 the hour of the wolf.

oooh digging this new intro, i like everyone getting a line to say. So much ominous foreshadowing just in the title credits so far!

edit: What the gently caress?? how is morden alive? even if he looks like palpatine, that seems crazy

edit2: hah well theres your prophecy vision londo, eat poo poo, lol

edit3: space sauron!

edit4: and in the least shocking moment of the story, sheridan is still alive. How he survived and who this weirdo guy is i'm looking forward to finding out though. Seems this season is going to be split between Babylon 3: The Search For Sheridan, and the adventures of Vir: Royal Assassin. I hope londo and centauri prime get whats coming to them from the prophecy visions, though with sheridan throwing a spanner in the works I suppose thats all up in the air.

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Mar 28, 2023

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

s4e2 whatever happened to mr. Garibaldi?

Felt a bit contrived to have G'kar go "my honor dictates you leave me alone in a hostile place where people are hunting for me so that I'm easier to capture. go now!" I mean what was even the point of him being on that planet in the first place with G'kar? Just have G'kar there alone and it at least doesn't feel as weird.

Sinclair meeting uh... god? whatever, is very strange. I'd like a more concrete explanation for what happened to him, and I hope we get it, rather than this weird kind of mystical stuff.

This centauri emperor is nuts, but I guess that makes him a good representative centauri emperor. Hasn't this show done enough to G'kar and the narn? good lord they just keep piling it on top. I mean, this is a great speech by Londo to G'kar, but I got no sympathy for you in any of this Londo, you're sins aren't going to be washed away because you feel bad for the one narn that you personally know, while planning to use him to your ends. I really hope this isn't how the narn get back at the centauri, by having their freedom granted to them by the largess of Londo Molari thanks to G'kar acting as his pawn for an assassination. Thats a pretty unsatisfying way if they do, and the narn are still left with a destroyed, twice over now, planet and millions dead thanks to these nazis. Londo waving his hand and saying "you're free now" isn't enough to balance any of this, especially since they wouldn't have even lost their world and had millions dead without the fine work of Londo.

gently caress Londo and any of his self righteousness. Its too little too late.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

S4e03 The Summoning, aka The Most Predictable Return Ever

lol, not that its a bad thing, the show didn't really try to keep it in suspense or anything.

Jesus, I hate the centauri. The cardassians wish they were are loathsome as the centauri. At least the cardassians had Garrick! The only one the centauri have going for them is Vir, and he's not Garrick good, plus he'll probably die before the show is out...

I knew the vorlon's were getting shifty but jesus, they're just going around destroying every planet??? Why not put that effort into just snuffing out the shadows! Actually join the worlds fighting them! Are they really going to have to fight the vorlons and the shadows? Surely that 'first one' guy can just go talk to the vorlons and say "yo, dudes, cut it out and stop being dicks". They've been so secretive though its hard to really draw any conclusion about that. Kosh is the only one we even barely got to know and he barely said dick about the vorlons themselves.

Also lmao yeah, Geribaldi is totally some loving sleeper agent for some major bullshit coming down the pipe.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

S4e4 Falling towards apotheosis

Jesus christ, the vorlons are going at it hard, not even wasting any time. Weird to see the station folks looking at shariden as some kind of messiah too.

edit: lmao i love how batshit this emperor is, londo deserves him

edit 2 garibaldi is such a programmed infiltrator of some kind...

edit 3 man the vorlon really became frightening. They're worse than the shadows!

edit 4 Holy poo poo! that vorlon trap! What the gently caress is that thing? Thats a vorlon? why the hell did kosh just look like some kind of angel, is that just because he wanted them to? Is this freaky thing the real vorlon? Christ! The vorlon are way worse than the shadows. I wasn't expecting this total heel turn fro the vorlons, sure they were mysterious, but I wasn't expecting them to become the outright villains of the story. If it took all this to kill one of them, how on earth are they going to ever stop the vorlon? At least the shadows you can just shoot!

edit 5 Oooooh are we going to end this series with a wedding episode? Lets hope! That would be a great ending to babylon 5.

edit 6 what the gently caress! jesus leave g'kar alone god drat it! I know the future vision had an eyepatch so they're catching up to that but c'mon! the future should have changed!

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Mar 29, 2023

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
:hmmyes:

Those are some good blind watch posts for sure

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Re: edit 4,

Yeah, that’s what they really look like. If you remember way back in season 2, it was explained that Kosh generally doesn’t reveal himself because to do so “is a great strain” - the angelic appearance is a guise, a sort of telepathic projection thing that takes a great deal out of him. It’s exhausting. Because without it, the Vorlon are, essentially, beings of pure energy. They have evolved past corporeality.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Chevy Slyme posted:

Re: edit 4,

Yeah, that’s what they really look like. If you remember way back in season 2, it was explained that Kosh generally doesn’t reveal himself because to do so “is a great strain” - the angelic appearance is a guise, a sort of telepathic projection thing that takes a great deal out of him. It’s exhausting. Because without it, the Vorlon are, essentially, beings of pure energy. They have evolved past corporeality.

Which will in turn lead the viewer to an interesting answer to the question of why Londo saw nothing.

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Which will in turn lead the viewer to an interesting answer to the question of why Londo saw nothing.

Londo saw nothing because what everyone was looking at was neither a cocktail, a stripper, or a political rival. All else is immaterial and not worth the neurons spent processing the raw visual input. He was simply operating at peak Londo efficiency

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Tom Guycot posted:

edit 4 Holy poo poo! that vorlon trap! What the gently caress is that thing? Thats a vorlon? why the hell did kosh just look like some kind of angel, is that just because he wanted them to? Is this freaky thing the real vorlon? Christ! The vorlon are way worse than the shadows. I wasn't expecting this total heel turn fro the vorlons, sure they were mysterious, but I wasn't expecting them to become the outright villains of the story. If it took all this to kill one of them, how on earth are they going to ever stop the vorlon? At least the shadows you can just shoot!

:sickos:

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I dunno if any of y'all have played Stellaris, but it absolutely has a (spoiler is relevant to Tom's posts about the Vorlons) Shadows & Vorlons dynamic that's possible in every game. There are a couple of "fallen empires" that are very old, have immense strength, and are exceedingly isolationist. They take little to no part in the game until, suddenly, they do. They become Awakened Empires and go on the warpath. Sometimes one waking up will cause the other to wake up and oppose them, which is bad for EVERYBODY.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

1x23: Chrysalis.

Danger, Will Robinson! When a main character proposes, you know poo poo is about to go down. It's already been spoiled that Sinclair won't be with the series much longer (not how; I just made the mistake of reading Michael O'Hare's Wikipedia entry). I'm guessing this is where a few story lines from S1 are going to converge).

Oh holy gently caress....this is getting pretty BSG. You can definitely tell that someone crafted the 'Vice President being sworn in' scene with an eye toward making it very much like the famous 'LBJ being sworn in next to Jackie Kennedy' photo. Very good work.

I don't think it's going to be any coincidence that the new president is talking about "taking care of our own people".

Uh...wow. That's quite a cliffhanger. This show is really getting good now....