Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I really like Talia!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
:mad:

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

S2 Ep6-10

Oh no Londo, what is you doing?

Story line arcs are getting really good now.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Poor Garabaldi doesn't have any luck with women

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Mega Comrade posted:

S2 Ep6-10

It's impressive how smooth the descent into that is for him, considering the joker he was early doors

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Mega Comrade posted:

:getin:

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It's impressive how smooth the descent into that is for him, considering the joker he was early doors

Yes it's been a surprising arc but been done really well.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Ha ha oh my god Babylon 5 going hard on humanities treatment of the homeless. YES

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Ok the Babylon 5 gift shop scene was brilliant

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Mega Comrade posted:

Ok the Babylon 5 gift shop scene was brilliant

Kinda want some of that swag in real life.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

I like how the show keeps suggesting Londo is gonna turn this around, hints that he's seeing the errors if his ways and then nope, "im in to deep, better keep genociding"

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Mega Comrade posted:

I like how the show keeps suggesting Londo is gonna turn this around, hints that he's seeing the errors if his ways and then nope, "im in to deep, better keep genociding"

Oh yeah, that's certainly one part of what makes him such a compelling character.

I very much want to say more, but those would be spoilers. I hope you're enjoying the show.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

I am indeed. Season 2 has been a huge step up in quality, not that season 1 was bad but it was very uneven.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

knew I was right to not like Winters :smuggo:

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Mega Comrade posted:

knew I was right to not like Winters :smuggo:

God that episode gut punched me so hard when I watched it the first time.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Andreas Katsulas is knocking it out of the park in every scene he is in in this season.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

He was consistently great in the entire series, IMHO :3:

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Lol I swear every sci fi show somehow manages to have an episode about Jack the Ripper

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Ok season 2 done.

Overall pretty great season.
The transformation of Gkar and Londo from comic relief to cornerstones of the conflict was excellent.
Overarching plot was done at a good pace, not too much stuffed into one episode.
Side plot lines were mostly very good.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jan 29, 2024

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

....did the commander just shove a com link up his arse? :dafuq:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

The Long Twilight Struggle is one of my favourite modern day tragedies (in its literary sense).

Mega Comrade posted:

No judgement zone

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Mega Comrade posted:

I am indeed. Season 2 has been a huge step up in quality, not that season 1 was bad but it was very uneven.

By this point you're seeing why everyone is so skittish about new viewers giving up during season 1, so we were always saying things like "stick with it, it's absolutely worth it, but no, you can't really skip ahead to the good bits, because, uh... reasons."

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Mega Comrade posted:

Where else are you supposed to keep it?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

I love Brad Dourif he always plays such great villains

oh ok technically not a villain then lol

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jan 29, 2024

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Reminder that this is a super clean room thread for spoilers, I don't think people have been bad but it's easy to get in the habit of going 'haha wait till you see what happens next!' or w/e. Digging your updates, Comrade!

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Been enjoying the night watch subplot. Trickling in the facism over time, although it was reasonably obvious at the start, they didn't beat you over head with it and showed how they slowly pusuade people.

When the political advisor turned up I knew shed be one. Facists in TV always have some increadibly hot promiscuous women on staff.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Now that Winters has gone (for now) my least favourite character is Marcus.
He's doing that annoying thing British actors do in American shows, hamming up their accent and the animosity between him and Ivanova I'm guessing is a setup for a future romance

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Ha so I wasn't imagining that scene with Winters looking for Ivanova in the bed, they did hook up. I still hate Winters though

Suppose only so much you could do on TV in the 90s.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Another person watching B5 for the first time ,sweet. :thumbsup:

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Oh gently caress me a King Arthur episode....

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Mega Comrade posted:

(3x13) Well, sort of. It's a bit clunky but I think there's some good bits in there.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Sir G'Kar :xd:, this episode is probably the stupidest in a while but I'm entertained so far. Looks like it's had it's fun and is becoming serious now though

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

Mega Comrade posted:

Lol I swear every sci fi show somehow manages to have an episode about Jack the Ripper

Mega Comrade posted:

Can't do a sci-fi show without these two things.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

That's very true.
I expect Shakespeare and Sherlock Holmes will turn up at some point.

Oh hey s3:S14 is going full Akira

TitusGroen
Sep 30, 2021

In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
The gf and I have finally started watching Babylon 5.

We just finished episode 19 (I meant to post sooner but kept forgetting to) and wow have there been some memorable lines and performances. So far, G'kar is the household favorite. His fantastic acting is only marred by the occasional hokey-ness of 90s television. I liked Londo right from the first "Mister Garibaldi!" but it took "My shoes are too tight." for the gf to come around to Londo.

What has surprised us both is the amount of characterization and depth that some of the smaller characters have received. It helps make characters feel important, no matter how little screen time they get, and makes the station feel more concrete.

Perhaps the most striking thing is how clearly the show communicates that it has an end goal it is working towards. I fully expected Sinclair's missing day to take the whole season to be revealed, probably in the penultimate episode to the finale, and the fact that it isn't relegated to the background is just so refreshing.

I have a few theories of upcoming events:

1.Something bad is coming for Garibaldi. The boxer episode is what cemented it with "Watch your back." from Walker. Any other writer, I would just say it's a throwaway line but this show feels too intentional for that to be the case.
2. Londo is going to become Centauri Emperor. This one was neat to come together: the lost broach, Londo's answer to the shadow asking what he wants, and finally his flying to the planet in episode 19 and Garibaldi's line "Some things should stay buried." Even though Garibaldi is talking about his ex, it feels like a wink to us.
3. Kosh's line from episode 1, "They are a dying race. We should let them pass." wasn't meant about the Centaur or Narns but the Minbari and somehow Sinclair has something to do with it. Messiah of some kind? Sacrificial lamb like Draal? Not sure yet. It's clearly the central piece of the initial storyline, whatever it turns out to be.

My only complaint, aside from the 90s hokey-ness, is that I think Kosh has been underutilized so far. He's been more deus ex machina than an actual character but I can't think of anyway to write him and maintain the mystique they want for the Vorlons.

So, those are my impressions so far! I'm very excited to see how the seeds they've planted so far sprout (like Talia's meeting with Kosh and Ivanova / Psy Corps machinations )

The fact that we'll see a news broadcast in the background of one episode and have it come slowly to the foreground a few episodes never fails to please me. That's just good storytelling without being heavyhanded.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

TitusGroen posted:

I liked Londo right from the first "Mister Garibaldi!"

Fun thing about that is a hearty MEEESTER GARIBAAAAALDI is how the actor would get into character and his crazy vampire accent.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Grand Fromage posted:

Fun thing about that is a hearty MEEESTER GARIBAAAAALDI is how the actor would get into character and his crazy vampire accent.

I mean hell, same

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Season 3

At this point the shows probably doing the right thing not redeeming Londo, he orchestrated the deaths of millions at this point. Still makes me sad though.

vv fair enough, will do in future

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Feb 2, 2024

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mega Comrade posted:

At this point the shows probably doing the right thing not redeeming Londo, he orchestrated the deaths of millions at this point. Still makes me sad though.

You probably want to indicate what point in the show you're at when you post a spoiler block, so future newbies know if and when they want to click it.

Should any such be present: don't read unless you're into S3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Mega Comrade posted:

Season 3

vv fair enough, will do in future

He's a fundamentally sympathetic character, who was quite likeable for most of season 1. Now he's doing awful stuff, of course you're sad. He's a classic tragic character.