Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I love Zathras. This thread is so good, I've only watched B5 once since it originally aired (got a DVD set from Columbia House eons ago, it's long lost to the sands of time now). I still half remember the episodes you guys are watching based on your takes. I'll have to watch it again some time. It's easily in my top tier of best shows ever, sci fi or not. I'd put it on a par with the expanse, easily. The thing is, back in the day, I never even noticed the cheap sets or props, I was so engrossed in the characters and stories that it didn't matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Narsham posted:

This thread has now given us Josh the Zorlon and I am here for it.

His carapace is adorned with tribal tattoos and his spaceship, using advanced Zorlon technology, somehow had a lift kit.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

Dudebros aren't drinking IPAs, even if they are trash.

Josh the Zorlon is a little more (other)worldly, and enjoys a cool Sam Adams now and then.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Bell_ posted:

Would he be a Zorlon, too?

loving spoilers man! Come on!

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

This is my issue too. That there are enough people stuck in limbo there that it’s a whole shanty town Down Below. As I said before, with space at an absolute premium there (by dint of being a space station, you can’t expand anywhere) I can’t imagine the B5 crew realistically allowing that amount of precious space to remain at the hands of an underclass who aren’t contributing. I could envisage relief efforts to repatriate or hostels to home them, but to just abandon them in such squalor is odd at best. Reminder that the station has only been in operation about 2-3 year at this point, so this has all sprung up relatively quickly.

I think earth-centric views of relative wealth kind of skew things here. Even ambassadorial quarters, the absolute height of expense and luxury in any Earth city you care to visit, are no more than a one bedroom apartment at most on B5. The poor scrabblers in down below are the working class on the station. "Hostels to home them" are what they already live in.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

You could probably make the carapace out of light thermoformed plastic and attach that to an American football shoulder pad setup. That kind of looks like what Kosh is wearing anyway. The helmet, not sure what you'd have to do there.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

I really liked the concept that the Vorlons generate some kind of telepathic filter that shows off each race’s version of them. Although, as Sheridan said ‘to manipulate us into acting the right way’. More intriguing is that Londo apparently saw nothing. Does that extend to all Centauri? Did the Vorlons not visit them? Or is it a telepathic invisibility thing like the Shadows project? Each race manipulates the younger races around them to perceive (or not) them as they choose. So, interestingly the question remains the same, what do the Vorlons look like? We’ve seen the encounter suit, we’ve seen the being of light, so what’s the reality? How many more layers?

Granted I'm going off 25 year old memories at this point, so it's entirely possible I don't remember dialogue being specific in this regard, but I always interpreted the Vorlon reveal as not so much active telepathic manipulation as the reason they look like angels, but more as they literally look like angels and that's why all these alien peoples have angel legends, and hence why they're all certain they saw their race specific angel. The whole God made us in His likeness thing. A human wouldn't see a Narn angel, because why would an angel look like a Narn? And vice versa. I realize this interpretation doesn't really stand up to rigorous scientific scrutiny, but we are talking about angels here.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

That is some strong "I took 10mg melatonin and ate half a block of old cheddar before bed last night" energy.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

pentyne posted:

Still seeing traffic, has anyone mentioned apparently GW Bush and his neocon friends were fans of B5? Like JMS met them once or something and it was awkward how he had to avoid saying that it was people like them that the show was opposed to.

So, tell us more about this "psy-corps"...

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Narsham posted:

Episode spoilers only: Writer Scott Frost (who I see has a pretty short IMDB page) did not write for the series again. In his preface to this script in the B5 Other Voices Script Book, looking back from 2008, he has this to say: "I don't think Cirrus's character was fully explored. Her pain seems to only touch the surface and her relationship with Dr. Franklin could have been more complicated considering the grief she is suffering." He still doesn't seem to find the relationship problematic. Yeeeck.

Problematic can be seen as synonymous with more complicated. Franklin is depicted as variously flawed throughout the series, being a sex pest wouldn't be out of character for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Bruce is an interesting casting call, but when you think about the character of Sheridan, who he is when he's introduced, it's pretty spot on. A fresh faced empty suit with some military cred, expected to tow the company line while smiling and glad handing his way through it. They needed a "leading man" type person, all face no personality, so Earthforce hired Sheridan/JMS cast Bruce.
Maybe that's a bit harsh on Bruce's acting chops, but the writing really complements who he is, like yeah he is that guy. And here's what that guy can do when push comes to shove. He can have all these heroic qualities, he isn't just someone we hired because he's got pretty hair and can run a press conference.