Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Probably the low point, but it still has some fun stuff in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

TheAardvark posted:

S2E21 - Comes the Inquisitor

G'Kar reduced to yelling from a soapbox :(

Loved the Vir/G'Kar scene. No apology could possibly suffice, but I don't think Vir could stop himself, he seems terribly upset about his own people.
nother good episode, though the use of Jack the Ripper felt kinda out of characterishly Doctor Who.

One of my favs.

Dead. Dead. Dead. Dead. Dead. Dead. Dead.Dead. Dead. Dead. Dead.
How do you apologize to them?

I can't.

Then I cannot forgive.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Sweevo posted:

B5 doesn't have episodes about annoying kids, or episodes where everyone minces around in the holodeck because the actors got bored of being in a sci-fi show. So B5 is automatically better than all Star Trek.

I seem to recall there's one episode in season 1 (un spoilered because I think all the newbies are WELL past that point) with a cute kid, and he gets murdered off-screen.

I think that episode was basically a "FU" from JMS to the "Star Trek"-esque "Everything works out ok in the end" style of television. Like...I could see a TNG episode with almost the exact same plot points, but at the end either the parents realize their son is still "their son" and his soul hasn't left his body, or the son has a realization he doesn't want to live in their culture after they reject him and goes to live with some human family, or something.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

pentyne posted:

At least 2 of them were at high risk for other health complications, but yeah they're dying in their ~60s or earlier while most of the OG Star Trek cast is still alive.

While I'm not surpised that Takei is alive, dude seems to have always taken care of himself, it's downright baffling that Shatter is still kicking.

I had thought Nichols has died, but i guess not, though it looks like she has dementia, and is 88, so I wouldn't be surprised if she passes this year. :(

Though in looking her up on Wikipedia, I discovered her brother was a member of Heaven's Gate and killed himself with the rest of them in 97. :stare:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

The Gathering is the pilot movie, it IN THEORY should be watched first, but I know plenty of B5 watchers say don't bother, it's not THAT critical.

If you're thinking of In the Beginning, that is another movie that should be watched later. I guess even saying WHEN to ideal watch it counts as a spoiler? I don't agree with that, cause how else would a newbie know when to watch it and not spoil themselves on stuff that, ideally, they find out in the course of the series not that movie?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

CaptainPsyko posted:

Simply saying when in terms of episode/season numbering is fine and doesn’t spoil poo poo.

I don't know, I feel like I've seen people in this thread say things exactly like that, that simply saying "watch this thing after Season 3, episode 4" is a spoiler or what have you, even if they don't put plot points anywhere.

(That was just a fake example, as far as I'm aware, no "extra B5 material" is ideally seen directly after season 3, ep 4.)

But i agree with Jedit, In the Beginning is best after Season 4 ends if that's what Blindeye was referring to.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

mllaneza posted:

Definitely on the short list of "if someone is only going to watch one episode" episodes. Dourif is amazing in this.

Spoilers below for both the B5 episode, and the Star Trek Voyager episode "Meld."

He actually plays characters with similar problems and "solutions", at least as a base level. In both, he's a murderer that then has someone poke around in his mind.

In B5, he was a mind-wiped murderer struggling with his memories coming back, and the guilt that his NEW personality puts on him.
In Voyager, he plays a Betazoid that, instead of being empathetic, has no emotions at all. He kills just to see if even THAT would make him feel anything. He ends up getting a mind-meld from Tuvok to help.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

[spoiler]THE FLARN IS PEOPLE [/poiler]

But the Spoo is ok?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Nice! I thought so. He did a great job in this role.

A question about the end of the last episode (if it doesn't reveal too much): Was the Drazi an hallucination, like Delenn, or was he actually in on the whole thing and some sort of attempt at a mind gently caress? I can't tell.

My personal interpretation is that:
The Drazi was real, and in on it, but probably not ENTIRELY by choice. I assume he was also a political prisoner of some kind (maybe the simple crime of being "an alien on Earth" and a future version of "Papers, please" got him arrested, and was promised leniency if he acted the part well.)

I seriously doubt the fascist Clarke regime would WANT to find/use a willing alien as part of their psi-ops campaign against Sheridan, perhaps out of fear/distrust they'd be loyal to a regime that's against them...nor would I think the average alien would go along with it (though, granted, every fascist regime has collaborators from the given peoples they're oppressing, so...idk, maybe?)

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Other than that? I have nothing against Penn and Teller but their appearance was more goofy than anything else. I guess it was meant to be, though.

Zooty, Zoot Zoot!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

CainFortea posted:

I still have never seen The Gathering

Same.
Or Legend of the Rangers.
Or most of Crusade.