Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Well, drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Roth posted:

All five seasons of Babylon 5 are now on HBO Max.

Me in the UK: "cool."

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

ikanreed posted:

TNG got what?

TNG got blu-rays by CBS re-editing the episodes together from the 35mm film dailies, so now it looks gorgeous. It was expensive to do, and the blu-rays didn't sell nearly as well as they wanted, so they didn't even break even.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Zaroff posted:

Apparently the remastered editions are also available on Amazon Prime too - a UK twitter account I follow had purchased them and was commenting how they were significantly better.

Ooh, that is good news, and yeah they are. A little expensive for me right now, but something to think about at some point.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Ok, I absolutely promise I will watch my next episode very soon.

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jan 31, 2021

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

S3ep14 - A Late Delivery From Avalon

Next thing you’ll be saying is he’s not Merlin.

Oof, it’s been a while, let’s see if it’s all still in my head.

Michael York! Let us not go to B5, it is a silly place. York is definitely classing up the joint. There’s shades of Doctor Who’s Battlefield (heavy sci-fi and Arthurian legend) and broad strokes ripped wholesale out of Boorman’s Excalibur.

Nice to see the Postal Service is still a bastion of virtues. Having just paid money to Royal Mail here in the UK to receive a Christmas gift I also feel Garibaldi’s pain. But extorting the post office to keep running? Put the rear end in a top hat hat back on, chief.

Oh, hey, our first proper look at the Ranger pin. It’s a very big and showy brooch for a supposedly secret organisation.

Marcus still feels like JMS’s new favourite toy. A year on a Drazi colony, a year on Minbar picking up the fundamentals of the language. Now he’s just in the right place to greet King Arthur and be duly deferential. When did he start doing all this? I wonder if it was a mistake to make someone quite so worldly who also looks like he’s barely mid-20s.

I did initially wonder if Arthur was another Vorlon hostage plucked from Earth, and I’m actually glad Marcus brings that up as continuity. When he tells the story of the negotiations with Mordred, my first thought was ‘oh, like the initial Minbari encounter...’ and then the whole story was immediately clear about where it was heading.

Franklin’s bedside manner here in telling Arthur the truth is terrible, and any psychologist/psychiatrist would have been much more sympathetic, and not so aggressive. Where’s Troi when you need her? There’s a lot to be said for appropriate ways of dealing with trauma and PTSD, but this isn’t it.

Garibaldi said he must have ditched his ID and papers on the Asimov, but did he come in a full suit of chainmail with a sword? There was no trouble getting it onto the ship in the first place?

Oh my god, the dodgy mannequin arm attached to the camera.

I guess sending Arthur off to Narn is a different ending for him that I was expecting. My guess was he’d either go back to Earth, or press on to Minbar. Warriors and spirituality seemed up his alley.

Who is Morgan le Fay? Sounds like JMS put a bit of thought into that role casting, and that absolutely feels like a dangling thought to come. We don’t really have any evil female characters, considering Talia is now likely dead. Lyta? That one psi-cop lady who shows up sometimes?

This episode felt like a bit of filler, but it’s fun enough. I was reminded very heavily of the one with David Warner seeking the Holy Grail, and I feel like this one suffers slightly from being too similar. However, Michael York’s charisma goes a long way here, and earns a lot of forgiveness.

It would be remiss of me not to mention Mira Furlan as the Lady of the Lake. No lines, but her presence is amazing. She will be missed.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Sanguinia posted:

G'kar and Arthur beating the poo poo out of the local gangsters to get back the innocent old lady's picture frame and then getting wasted in celebration of their chivalrous deeds, culminating in Arthur anointing G'kar as The Red Knight of the Round Table is one of my favorite scenes in the entire franchise.

The anguished cry of "Their horses were burning!" has also stuck with me since the first time I watched it.

Yes! I meant to mention both of those. Arthur and G’kar working surprisingly well together, with G’kar almost hanging a lampshade on the entire series by bemoaning the shades of moral grey that exist in life. It was a particular highlight.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

S3ep14 - Ship of Tears

Do not thump the book of G’quan. It is disrespectful.

Ah, ISN is back on the air, and has gone full Fox News propaganda wing.

Oh, new longer starfury! Looks alright.

And hey, it’s Bester again. Following up from Messages from Earth, we’re shuffling the telepath plot on a little bit more. This time we’re connecting the dots that episode laid out, that yes, the Shadows are using human telepaths in their ships. That said, who are the aliens doing the experimenting on the telepaths? They’re not the Streib (I think?).

How hard did Ivanova slap Bester to draw blood like that? Did she have some kind of heavy ring on? Or is his skin so paper thin it cut at the mere touch?

Oof, Delenn telling G’kar the truth about the lead up to the Shadow war is hard-going. The hesitance in her voice is fantastic acting, and Katsulas equally brings it. Excellent scene.

The image of Carolyn trussed up by wires in the middle of medlab was mildly horrifying, especially with the way you don’t see any body visible below her upper torso and the fact it doesn’t touch the ground at all. But I also giggled at ‘cyberweb implants’.

Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here, this is the war room! The paint on the walls is still wet! Also, that’s some super 90s overly bright lighting in there.

Not a huge amount of plot, 45 mins of just reiterating some plot points, joining up a few dots, and introducing the concept of telepaths as weapons/important parts of the Shadow ships. I appreciate the dichotomy of Bester’s ‘I don’t want my telepaths being used as weapon components by the Shadows’ against Sheridan’s new found ‘We have a weapon against them! Telepaths!’ I’m sure that’s going to end really well.

I have a brain itch here on one minor plot point. G’kar tells us that there are no Narn telepaths because the Shadows killed them all. But also G’quan and the remaining Narn telepaths drove out the Shadows. So there are Narn telepaths that made it out...?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Midjack posted:

There are not. The Narn telepaths all died in the final battle, either in a last knockout strike to drive off the Shadows or to smash their defenses so the rest of the Narn could push them back. Either way, no Narn telepaths were alive after end of the war which is why an early G’Kar character beat was being a horn dog for other species’ telepaths.

Oh god, that's right! he was trying to hook up with Lyta, wasn't he?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

CaptainPsyko posted:

Is this an E:15 reaction? It sure seems like one.

the latter third of Season 3 is probably the shows peak for me.

Yeah, I have a LOT OF WOrds to write up.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

S3ep15 - Interludes and Examinations

You do not understand. But you will.

KOSH NOOOOO

The Shadows are openly attacking now - what’s their plan? Even Sheridan says he doesn’t know what they want. I guess sow chaos and keep all the races from aligning together, but to what end?

Oh no, Morden and the Shadows! Morden comes in on a transport (judging by the large number of other passengers), so it again begs the question, how are the Shadows following him around? They’re really not small beings. Do they fold up small into his luggage?

I’d forgotten Londo’s love was named Adira, I’ve gotten used to the ST: Discovery character by that name, so it threw me for a moment. Oh Londo, that’s some horrible payoff for daring to be happy for a moment. You know what will happen. Lashing out like that is going to help no-one. gently caress the galaxy, though. All those trillions of people can die because you’ve been hurt. My heart breaks for him though, he was so excited.

The Franklin stim plot resurfaces here, with additional Franklin-dadbod (pecs but belly is an odd look, I gotta say). Quitting your job feels like overkill rather than getting help to overcome an addiction, but, sure, take whatever time you need.

Oof, the in person Kosh-Sheridan scene! There’s a lot to unpack there, starting with Kosh’s interesting choice of words to describe Sheridan. Impudent, disrespectful. Those are the words you use for a naughty child. Kosh says ‘it is not our time’. So when is their time? Are the Vorlons waiting it out till much further along in the war so they can swoop in like the big daddy race saving all the younger children?

There’s a reflection in that later on when Kosh is being attacked and appears to Sheridan as his father. The idea of Kosh being afraid and wishing he’d told Sheridan more is oddly touching, considering how much he hid behind/in his cryptic encounter suit. The shot of his damaged helmet on Sheridan’s desk is definitely haunting, but I’m more crazy intrigued by the idea that the Vorlons are just going to send another ‘Kosh’ to cover up the fact that he died. Are they going to be called Kosh too, as a cover identity? How will that work? What’s going to happen with Lyta, and where is she?

The Vorlon fleet coming through was pretty spectacular and I could honestly have watched more of that battle, but it was probably hella expensive at the time. Hopefully this means the Vorlons will be more on the offensive if needed, rather than sitting on the sidelines watching the younger races get decimated.

Kosh’s ship doing a sundive as a form of viking funeral as it mourns for its owner is a moving moment and tribute to B5’s most wonderfully cryptic character. Fantastic stuff.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I'll do 3x18 next then, since that's what was intended.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Sanguinia posted:

"You've been teaching me to fight legends? WELL YOU'RE A LEGEND TOO!"

Kosh:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

S3ep18 - Walkabout

And so it begins.

Lyta’s back! Franklin’s stand-in doctor said ‘By the the time we were called in, it was too late.” Delenn asserted they wouldn’t find a body, so why were they even called? “Yep, definitely no body left in this suit.”

The Vorlon ship rising up to meet Sheridan is a hell of a shot. I wonder if Sheridan understood the message that flashed up on the hull.

Oh no, they’re eating the Breen from DS9! I guess they’re delicious under those suits. The nugget that all races have something akin to Swedish meatballs smacked very strongly of the gin and tonics bit from Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy. Maybe it’s also a sign of manipulation of the younger races by one of the older ones. Do the Vorlons eat? Did they create IKEA?

I really like the new Vorlon encounter suit, and the more aggressive tone of New Coke Kosh is an interesting departure. There’s a lot of fascinating subtext between Kosh 2 and Lyta. Kosh could impart some of himself to her? Carrying him around in her head, presumably, which explains what the eyes/mouth strings of light we saw that one time. And I guess while she didn’t get a bit, Sheridan still has some essence de Kosh rattling around inside his noggin. Kosh’s final words to Sheridan were “As long as you’re here, I’ll always be here.”

We get a fair bit of info about the Vorlons in this episode. They’re incredibly long lived (maybe even immortal?), there’s not that many of them, and it’s been so long since one of them died, Kosh’s death has given the entire race a bit of a wobble. We know they’re telepathic, so is the statement ‘We are all Kosh’ indicative of some kind of hive mind? Presumably not full on Borg hive mind, but maybe a connected consciousness that all Vorlon are aware of on some level. Presumably such a thing would let them feel the death of Kosh all the more keenly and pretty much instantly (as last episode stated). The Vorlons are the most alien race in B5, and I love it.

Cailyn’s song is some terrible easy listening dross. Was it allowed to play so long to pad out the episode? I hope Franklin didn’t pay a lot for his half glass of chocolate milk. Also, she appears to be doing fine all by herself (deadly condition aside), what exactly is it you think she needs, Franklin? What are you trying to fix here? How’s that saviour complex working for you? Franklin’s Foundationism is curious (I’m reading it as ‘religion’ here, rather than foundationalism, the philosophy concept of ‘I think therefore I am’), utilising the walkabout concept from Australian Aboriginal people. Is it a piecemeal religion cherrypicking bits and pieces from all sorts of cultures?

CAPTAIN’S LOG ALERT. Having Sheridan pulling that trope raised a smile. I feel like Lyta is above a P5 rating now from her time spent with Kosh and among the Vorlons. The battle is short, but fraught. I’m curious as to why the Minbari cruiser didn’t fire at all when its telepaths were holding off the other Shadow vessels. But it was good to see that not just the Narn joined the fray, but a number of the League too. Strength in numbers and unity chases the Shadows away.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

S3ep16 - War Without End - Part 1

I’ll be in the car.

Minbar! Looking all very Mass Effect, putting me strongly in mind of Thessia, the Asari homeworld. OH poo poo SINCLAIR! Hmm, 900 year old messages written in English?

Was that Kosh 2 on Minbar? Or another Vorlon?

And messages from future Ivanova? Looks like time travel is back on the menu, boys! So we’re doing the other half of Babylon Squared, filling in the gaps of that story. And we’re getting it laid on pretty thick here that Sinclair is destined to become the Minbari mythical figure Valen. Minbari not born of Minbari, appeared from nowhere a thousand years ago, B4 needed in that war, etc.

It’s weird Marcus treats Sinclair like he’s a grand master sensei when Sinclair has only on Minbar for about 18 months, 2 years tops. His whole zen monk-like demeanour is very different from how we last saw him as commander of B5. If he’d been away for 10 years or something, it would have made more sense.

Ivanova’s final message of the Shadow invasion of B5 is pretty chilling. Presumably things can be changed, since we’ve already seen that Sinclair is (probably) not going to be there now, as in Garibaldi’s original vision from Babylon Squared.

Lucy and Ethel is a weird deep cut, but ok.

Being unstuck in time is an unexpected wrinkle, and I’m surprised to see the unexpected return of Future Emperor Londo. This feels almost like a side-step to the vision Londo saw of himself on the throne, along with the Shadow ships flying overhead. Londo being much older and greyer makes me wonder how long the effects of the Shadow war will last. Yes it’s over, but there’s always fallout.

Zathras is such a fun character and I’m glad he’s back. Poor, put upon Zathras.

Really looking forward to part 2!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I have watched War Without End part 2, I just haven’t written about it yet. It’s good.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

robziel posted:

I have always really liked the space suit design in that episode.

It’s a replica of the suit from 2001: A Space Odyssey!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

sebmojo posted:

Yah I think that is a brummie accent on a quick listen, or maybe manchester

She’s got a Geordie accent, which is Newcastle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

ZRM posted:

Excuse me sir, but this is the Babylon 5 thread, not the Star Trek thread.

??