Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

I don't really have anything to say, except that it's a real joy seeing people's first-time reactions. B5 is an amazing show and I think it gets overlooked because people who haven't see it are too quick to dismiss it as a cheap-looking Star Trek knockoff when it's so much better than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

B5 doesn't have episodes about annoying kids, or episodes where everyone minces around in the holodeck because the actors got bored of being in a sci-fi show. So B5 is automatically better than all Star Trek.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

ultrafilter posted:

As long as you don't read the pages for episodes you haven't watched, the Lurker's Guide has no spoilers.

Eh, yes and no. I think it's worth a read (either after you've watched the entire show, or maybe between series), but I wouldn't read it after each episode. You're right that there are no outright "this is what happens..." type spoilers, but some of the comments/speculation hit a bit too close to home, and maybe because the site is curated/compiled after the fact some of those comments stand out more than they should because a lot of the wilder and incorrect speculation has been edited out. Also JMS was quite active in the community and occasionally dropped hints like "maybe pay attention to X <wink>" which aren't literal spoilers, but get very close to the line sometimes.

Sweevo fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Apr 18, 2021

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

Are people still watching?

Please don't give up half way!

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Don't get too hung up on where exactly the Green/Red/Brown/Gray sectors are located; yes, there are occasional graphics both in and out of the show, and I'm sure JMS would swear up and down it always made perfect sense, but I don't think the show is entirely consistent about how exactly they're arranged.

I think he's pretty much said that things are wherever the plot requires them to be.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

Powered Descent posted:

s01e15 - The Quality of Mercy
  • I'll just say it: the "life energy transfer" machine is bad, lazy writing

It really is. It's like something out of a bad Doctor Who episode. You see it in a lot of bad sci-fi and it's always just the writers throwing their hands up and using "MAGIC SPACE MEDICINE!" to handwave their way through a plot they got bored of writing.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

TKO: The Ivanova stuff is good, but the fighting plot is one of the lamest parts of the entire series. This episode is what people are thinking of when they (wrongly) claim S1 sucks and tell new viewers to skip it.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

Chevy Slyme posted:

Yeah. But I do think that telling new folks to even skip this episode is just so wrongheaded. I simply can not imagine watching the rest of the series without having seen Ivanova’s half of TKO. It’s just such a critical character moment for her.

Oh yeah, I'm not saying to skip anything, just that this is what the people who do tell others to skip seem to think all of S1 is like for some reason.

Sweevo fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Dec 30, 2021

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

discoukulele posted:

s04e22 – The Destruction of Falling Stars
  • 1000 years in the future, things feel very Dark Ages. This monastery is not being recognized by Rome. Earth got destroyed in the war 500 years ago (the Great Burn). The younger priest is doubting a myth about Lorien. Prophecy says that the Rangers will return to rebuild the Alliance.

It's a great episode, but I've never liked the bit with the monks. Why do people writing primitive future societies always think it's just going to be a carbon copy of the middle ages? I'm sure they could have come up with something more interesting than monks and abbeys and repeating the 1300s verbatim. It just feels so lazy.

Sweevo fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Jan 4, 2022

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

discoukulele posted:

In The Beginning
My only complaint is that there were a few things that didn't feel like they gelled with the series so far, specifically with characters evidently interacting in the past but having no apparent history together in the show. I'm thinking specifically of G'Kar, Franklin, and Sheridan going on their diplomatic mission together, and Delenn interacting with Ulkesh. As far as I can tell, none of that was even hinted at by the series until then. It's not a big deal, but it did stand out.

I've always felt exactly the same. Those characters are basically there just because they are main characters and the writer/studio decided they had to be included somehow, and it makes no sense story wise - particularly for G'Kar.

Sweevo fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Jan 7, 2022

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

Powered Descent posted:

s02e18 - Confessions and Lamentations
Saying the disease is 100% fatal is clear enough, but what does 100% contagious even mean?

I assume they mean transmission - come into contact with an infected person and there's a 100% chance of you being infected too.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

Powered Descent posted:

s03e19 - Grey 17 is Missing

JMS has admitted this ep is something that seemed fine on the page as he was writing it, but then turned out a complete mess. The cult stuff is just plain dumb.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

alexandriao posted:

I am not really a fan of the "I'm in your computer system therefore I can immediately gain access to everything and understand the wire protocols and blah blah blah. It always feels icky to me.

This and the magic life transfer machine from S1 are the two bits that remind me most that scifi is just really dumb sometimes. B5 doesn't generally do that kind of technobabble handwaving and it feels so out of place, like a plot convenience from TNG or a bad Doctor Who episode.

Sweevo fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Mar 27, 2022

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

They could still have done it in a better way than "I am a magic computer ghost deleting ur filez!"

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

Dr. Stab posted:

Why would people say to do this? It spoils a bunch of the show, doesn't it?

I'm convinced some people get In The Beginning confused with The Gathering and think ITB is the pilot.

The rest of them probably just think you have to watch it first because it's the first chronologically. :shrug:

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

Angepain posted:

i think i can see why that random guy on the internet said to skip this one.

Never, ever listen to random idiots on the internet who tell you to skip whatever arbitrary episodes they personally don't like.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

Dr. Stab posted:

The only objectively wrong thing I've seen is watching "in the beginning" first.

LOADS of people used to suggest this at one point and I don't get it. It's just completely full of spoilers for S1-4.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

It used to be a common view 10-15 years ago among idiots who couldn't get past the slightly cheap-looking production in S1 compared to later

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

Riven posted:

In the Beginning was fun, although left me with the question, are Minbari souls actually being reborn into human bodies, or did they literally randomly grab the only human who would read like that?

Delenn is the one who chose, following Kosh's "the truth points to itself" remark. Kosh knows who is in that ship so she's clearly being guided to choose someone significant rather than any random human.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

CainFortea posted:

On the other hand...we see souls as objectively existing when soul hunter shows up so maybe it's just souls.

Minbari and Soul Hunters believing in souls doesn't make them real. Maybe the Soul Hunter just had a fancy machine that makes copies of people's brainwaves (a bit like when Kosh made a recording of Talia). The show doesn't pick a side on the issue at all.