Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

So after a literal lifetime of going "eehhhhhhh I dunno" about watching Babylon 5 whenever anyone mentioned it, I finally decided to give it a shot last week, sure I was going to find it like 'Earth Final Conflict' levels of bad 90's sci fi show.

I was surprised to find that I was wrong, and have already binged the first season with a very positive opinion. Like yeah its cheap as poo poo, the sets look like a step removed from cardboard boxes and the CGI looks like 'Reboot' levels of quality, but the show is plucky enough that it makes it all work. Like the bad CGI, yeah its ugly, but I've found it lets them do a lot more dynamic and numerous space sequences than would be possible with physical models and a 'Star Trek' level of budget.

The episodes too, mostly at least, have been well done, like outside of the fairy tale happy ending, the dock workers strike was handled surprisingly raw. The continuing plot too really feels well paced, little mysteries set up, some paid off, some not paid off yet, but it feels very organic and not like so many modern serialized shows where its like one 15 hour movie that any given episode bleeds into the rest. Maybe it falls apart later, but up to s2 e2 its got me hooked to see what happens. I'm also shocked what a dystopia it is, I guess in my head I always pictured it very Star Trek, federationy, but its like a hard gently caress you dystopia I wouldn't want to live in.

I know enough through cultural osmosis when people at school as a kid were watching it and DS9 that theres some 'shadow' enemy or something in the show, which I assumed would be a thing later but it looks like thats already a thing as of the end of season 1. Other than that the only things I knew about the show going in were the name "Garibaldi" and that the lead actor left the show.

Which... brings me to my big questions. I know the whole show was supposedly plotted out start to finish, but the commander was built up as such an integral element of the overall plot, like 'chosen one' levels of importance, why the heck didn't they just recast the actor? It seems like writing off someone that important and bringing on a new character would gently caress up the entire overall plotline in gigantic ways, and since this was right at the start in season 2, why not just recast?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Well i'm looking forward to seeing how it goes, but I already miss the delivery and voice of the original lead saying "the name of the place.. is babylon 5". New dudes delivery of that just ain't as popping.

I will say the show seems pretty forgiving and light hearted towards the centauri, and mean towards the narn, when from what it sounds like, the centauri were basically turbo cardassian genociding world destroyers. I mean from where I'm sitting after season 1, i wish the narn would bring down the centauri.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

SlothfulCobra posted:

Severe mental illness.

Sometimes people can't keep doing the job and you gotta pivot. I think there's a number of problems like that in the show's history. More notable is probably how the show made its pilot movie, but like half the cast of the movie just didn't sign on to do the show right after. At one point JMS just lost his notebook for where he was planning for the story to go as well and had to kinda reconstruct his plans from scratch.

The show was doing a weird new thing with all its planning and keeping a slow-burning overarching plot going on in the background, but boy oh boy are there a lot of weird growing pains.

Wait, was there a pilot movie with a different cast I was supposed to watch first before starting the series? I just started with s1e1.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Ah, well I'll have to watch that next I guess.

On s2e4, I really dig that their FTL travel is like a separate dimension they have to actually physically navigate. Sort of reminds me of the nether in minecraft.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Up to s2e9, boy are they still doing a great, just great job, of laying in larger pieces and story while maintaining an episodic format. Its such a stark change of pace from watching something sci fi like... star trek discovery or something where you can't even remember what episode is which, they all blend together, and you will never say to yourself "i feel like rewatching episode xyz".

It really feels like stuff is clicking together in a natural and well woven way, like all the stuff with the psy corps thats been building up to I don't even know what. They've also done a really good job making those 'shadow' people mysterious and quite creepy. Being one of the few things about the show I knew before hand from vague memories as a kid and cultural osmosis, I really expected them to seem a lot more hokey, but they really come off as frightening and powerful.

I'm still wondering when and what the other shoe dropping about the vorlon and what the gently caress is up with those sinister secretive motherfuckers. It better be something worthwhile

Also man, those centauri, just watched the episode where the emperor dies and i'm really growing more and more to hate them, and curious why the show treats them with such kid gloves when they're pretty monstrous in how they've treated the narn. I dearly hope they get their comeuppance but I'm worried they're going to skate by without really paying for what they've done, and what it looks like they're going to start doing again.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Finished with s2e12, man i really hate the centauri, god i hope they get whats coming to them. The g'kar guy breaking down and crying after getting no help... man gently caress those centauri. At least the cardassians had the decency to not pretend to be jovial and taken with good humor, you knew to hate them!

Still, I'm going to guess they get whats coming to them otherwise the show would just be unsatisfying

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

on episode s2e14 lol this news report is a great conceit for an episode.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Boy they did a wonderful job with g'kar and the narn. the first season and stuff really builds them up as these warlike kinda raider types, bad guys, even though they make casual mention of their world being invaded. But this interview with g'kar talking about his father and how brutal the centauri were, man it really flips the table on who they expect the audience to sympathize with in a way that builds up gradually. Like I disliked the centauri from the first mentions of what they did as invaders, but the show clearly framed everything for the audience like they're these kind of comical people while the narn are vicious and unreasonable.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Ahahahahhaha these robocop rear end commercials for psi corps. I love it. I genuinely enjoy that the earth of this show is an absolutely Verhoovian dystopia.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Well, OK. To be quite honest, I don't really have a problem with Jerry Doyle (even though his real-life politics were questionable), but the more I see of Garibaldi the less I tend to like him. People talk about Odo being fashy, but Garibaldi setting it up so that he has constant video surveillance of a suspect is at least on par with the fashiest stuff Odo did.

On the other hand, I'm warming up to Ivanova because she's had a chance to open up a little bit and be less....robotic, I guess?

This is what took me a moment to come around to. My headspace was in a star trek mold where you kind of expect them to be good people, working for good institutions, and I had to kind of snap out and realize this is more a universe paul verhoveen would have directed.

Especially when (season 2 episode 12 spoiler) the alien ambassador finally says humans are an advanced race they're willing to work with when they see how libertarian and absolutely lovely we are to our own species, allowing many to live in squalor to 'purify' ourselves in a social darwinism way, lol. Funny moment.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Watched s2e17, ok, here we go, heres the giant lore dump. I was a bit confused about how they were wording things, was the vorlon ambassador the last of the ancient ones, or are there still vorlons watching, or is the ambassador not actually a vorlon and the vorlons are a separate race he's pretending to be? I even went back to watch the exposition scene and it didn't seem clear.

Is this something clarified later?

Seeing the shadow guys pop up in the psychic probe and uv filters was pretty creepy. I do hope theres more explanation for these shadow guys though and they aren't just a 'shrug' anchient evil thing without reason.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

S2e18

Jesus christ "hey we found a way to stop the plague!" "oh woops, they're all extinct now across the galaxy just in time". Those dudes just finished dying, you're saying they're all extinct already? that seems excessive in its trying to be pessimistic.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

s2e19

Man, gently caress then centauri, if they don't get a fully sufficient (and I do mean fully) comeuppance by the end of this series, i'm writing this off as my most hated show ever.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

s2e22 the fall of night

lmao a literal "peace in our time".

Oh poo poo, so kosh, or the vorlons... if they're separate... everyone just sees as their own species/dieties? I guess that makes sense, the shadow, the light, yadda yadda. I hope theres more to the shadow folks though than just being evil without explanation, some kind of pseudo religious 'good vs. evil' thing without any more substance to it is a little thin.

I'm starting to get the hunch this show is not going to be a fun watch going forward and will just start getting real depressing and frustrating though.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

mllaneza posted:

In the best possible way.

Ugh... maybe I made a mistake starting this show. However well done it may be, I'm not sure I'm up for more "make you feel like poo poo" tv. :saddowns:

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

s3e5 voices of authority

man, I hate all this 'nazis taking over' stuff. It might have been fun in 1995 but I don't know if i can watch nazis slowly take over everything for the next 3 seasons. Are the nazis at least all booted out spectacularly by the end?

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

s2e6 dust to dust

Seems like they're straight up tipping their hand that they have something to hide by putting on a big show for chekov like that. All they have to do is send someone undercover back to probe them, knowing they're hiding something.

I'm also not liking one bit this seeming g'kar turn at the end of "you have to forgive the nazis and stop the violence, or everyone loses", no they're god drat nazis, and g'kar and the rest have every justification to kill as many centauri as they can until they're stopped for good! The show can't take the position that the fascists are always around the corner and can take hold everywhere, but also you must never lower yourself to actually doing anything about the fascists except take it lying down and hoping the system works or something. I feel like the show is better than that.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

s2 e8-9 messages from earth & point of no return

wow so we're just going there right away, full steam. I thought they were going to spend the next 2 & half seasons slow boiling it, but it just jumped right in the deep end with a coup. It feels like they're screwed, I mean obviously they're going to get out of it and stay in charge of B5 somehow, the show isn't going to shift locations and build all new sets etc, but man its going to have to be some deus ex machina swooping in.

I love the ancient aliens stuff on mars as well, they've done a bang up job making the shadows quite scary and mysterious. I'm curious how they're going to beat them when they seem to so dramatically outclass everyone even the minbari.

Something that seemed strange this whole time, and this isn't any kind of spoiler, but it seems odd Earth is such a big and important galactic power considering how fresh on the scene they seem to be. Theres so many races in the non-aligned worlds and beyond, its surprising none of them are bigger than Earth who've only been going out to the stars like less than 100 years.

London, that "eye".

I don't remember this, what in season 1 did they talk about wrt london and an eye?

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

ohhhh right ok

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Wow i'm pissed at myself. Somehow I missed that one single episode from season 1, "signs and portents", and it just so happens to be like most singularly important episode, lol. Going back to this now this set up loving everything and somehow its the only episode I missed. I'm so pissed, lmao.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

mllaneza posted:

We're glad you caught it!

Well its a little too late now! lol

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Zorak of Michigan posted:

This is season 3 you're watching, not 2.

Oops, yeah, typo.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Oh man that's such an amazing episode to miss

I know I'm just sitting here kicking myself it had to be that, not 'londo dates a stripper', 'monster goes wild', or 'weirdo religious parents', it HAD to be that, of all things. God i'm so pissed at myself for ruining my blind watch of this show I almost want to throw up my hands and stop watching out of frustration for ruining the series for myself from one little mistake.

Ugh!

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

1x14: By Any Means Necessary.

You know, shows like this are surprisingly insightful about labor issues. Garibaldi is a cop, so of course he would be pretty scornful of the workers' demands. The "Labor Committee", of course, doesn't work on behalf of actual organized labor but really on behalf of management to quash strikes in favor of management. "Illegal" strikes (they would hardly be effective in extracting demands if they weren't illegal) are squashed in the name of "security".

It's all pretty much lifted chapter and verse from :capitalism: 101. What's disappointing is that in 240 some years, Earth has apparently failed to transcend beyond such a lovely and outdated economic organization.

In any case, the resolution was a bit cheesy but fairly satisfying. If I had been a worker I probably would have wanted all of those promises in writing, because saying whatever it takes to get people to get back to work and never following through is also a pretty well known management tactic, even if Sinclair is a pretty trustworthy guy.

Yeah "management is generous and your friend so it gave them what they wanted and everyone lived happily ever after" was kind of a cop out ending for an otherwise really really good episode about serious labor issues. Its one episode that really feels like It should have had a more realistic and unsatisfying conclusion. Make Geribaldi and Sinclair have to face the consequences and personal responsibility of what they're being told to enforce.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

s3e10-11 Severed dreams & ceremonies of light and dark

That was some pretty well one space battling considering the budget of this show, and really shows as cheesy as it can look, the CGI of the time really lets them do a lot more, and a lot more dynamically, than if they ever tried to use models. That fight would have been impossible on a shows budget to do.

I'm surprised the minbari thing worked when she went off to speak with the grey council. I 100% thought her trip would be going there, and being told off and have to face that the grey council was 'no longer what it once was' or something, and she'd have to realize they'd also been effected like the rest of the galaxy by the internal political influence of the shadows.

Really good episode though, things have ratcheted up like mad, and I don't see how they ever get earth back at this point.

The Delenn kidnap episode was fine, but I mean something of a cooldown at this point. It was interesting to see the whole vibe of Ivanova and Talia wasn't just a weird artifact of the time, but actually something that was supposed to be there. I had wondered at the time but dismissed it as some innocence of 90's TV or something. Incidentally, its really weird Talia is just gone and dissected after they seemed to be setting up so much more with her with her mentor who went all energy being and gave her some 'gift'. I feel like the actor wanted to leave the show so they abruptly wrote her off.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

s3e12 sic transit vir, or schindler's vir

It was good to see vir take a more backboned role, and its nice that all his misgivings about whats been going on manifest in some concrete action. U'm really confused about what happened with his bride and the narn tied up, though i suppose they'll let us know that at some later point. Still, i'm shocked he still wants to get married to lady gul dukat, i thought he would cut that off for certain.

s3e13 a late delivery from avalon

This felt like a total victim of "well we need to do 26 episodes... grab an idea from the wastebin". Really superfluous to anything going on, even if it had some cute moments. It felt like king arthur's stuff should have been the B story to the A story of an important treating, instead of the other way around. Maybe I'll be eating my words and somehow funny farm arthur has an important role to play later, but this episode really didn't need to exist.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

s3e14 Ship of Tears

Interesting to see they need the absolutely untrustworthy and shady psi corps as their only weapon against the shadows. Is Chekov going to get a redemption arc out of nowhere when he's a total psycho? If they go that route its about the last thing I expected to see, I figured it was psi corps pulling the strings of the earth takeover working with the shadows.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

s3e15 interludes and examination

Ah good old Londo, letting himself get roped into more poo poo to doom everyone else. Good job getting caught out by babies first manipulation you dillweed. I'm glad theres at least a prophecy of Londo dying because man he sucks, lol.

It was nice to see someone finally push back at Kosh and all his side talking cryptic bullshit, even if it did end up getting him killed. I hope the Vorlon sending someone else will answer the question if Kosh was just a vorlon or the last of the older ones, because they've seemed really iffy on that point. I hope he was just another vorlon though, because otherwise it seems a terrible waste to let him die, and for kosh to not take any precautions or want anyone this might happen if they showed themselves.

I still wonder how they can win this war, like, yeah they have the Vorlons now (or at least for one fight), but from the power of those ships, it basically seems like the vorlons are the only ones who can do anything and the rest are paper airplanes flutting around, even if they mass together. I'll need to see some of the younger races win a battle with the shadows before I'm convinced theres even any point to anyone but the vorlons fighting.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Polaron posted:

I'm honestly not sure what is throwing you here, but (spoilers up until the episode Tom is asking about, but mostly from season 2 episode 6) Kosh was the Vorlon ambassador, but not the only remaining Vorlon or the last First One. The Vorlon race was the one First One race who stuck around after the last Shadow War that Delenn was referring to in 'In The Shadow of Z'ha'dum'. Delenn's next sentence during that reveal is "For centuries the Vorlons stood alone, the last remaining guardians".

I'd have to go back and rewatch it, but I recall the way it was worded that it sounded as if the vorlons and kosh were separate and the vorlons were still around but kosh was the last of the oldest ones or something, that made it confusing.

Anyways, s3e16, war without end

only half way through but they just did the bombshell drop of what happened to babylon 4, and that is some wicked cool time paradox stuff.

EDIT:
That was cool, i'm curious how this sinclair time fuckery plays into things, but man Londo sucks in any time frame lol. I'm going to assume in part 2 sheridan takes b4 back 1,000 years and acts as the hero of the war back then and writes the note to himself.

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Mar 25, 2023

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

s3e17 war without end pt. 2

Wow when they set up weird fuckery in the original babylon 4 episode, I wondered if they would be able to pay it off adequately, and 2 years later they really did. Everything hooked back up in a very satisfying way. Sinclair becoming the legendary hero couldn't have been telegraphed harder from the first time they said the stuff about the minbari not born of minbari or whatever, but it was still a very satisfying conclusion. It really really makes me wonder what the hell would have been the original plan if the actor hadn't left the show. Would they have been replaced anyways for the following seasons?

Also really wondering what is implied with all the Delenn stuff, the mysterious figure in the time jump, and then it being her instead of sinclair greeting the werid time guy in the space suit.

And what the hell weird those weird rear end Dnyarri guys on Londo's neck? Wasn't expecting G'kar's strangling premonition to be a mercy killing. It feels like itse setting up for a sequel series after the shadows are defeated or something like that, but i dunno, they were certainly out of left field.

I thought maybe this episode when I saw the setup would answer a lot of questions, but it only invited a dozen more questions!

Really good though and paid off well.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

s3e18 walkabout

I really really like the way they're approaching this war, where they basically are running tests to see what they can even do, methodically. It feels very down to earth and un-dramatic in a good way. I feel like this is all leading up to some big team up with psy corps since they didn't seem to be in on the alien invasion, and, well... they need psychics.

It feels like a real turning point for them, they finally have something they can do, instead of the nothing they have been doing.

Also lmao if sheridan has kosh's god drat katra in his head and he's going to be some weird vorlan imbued thing.

Edit, lol i realize I didn't even mention the whole title plot of the episode, but all the walkabout stuff was so forgettable.

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Mar 26, 2023

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

s3e19 grey 17 is missing.

Here we come to the episode finally that tipped me over the edge to finally watching this show and it was a missed opportunity, lol.

A while ago in one of the star trek threads when the dumb as poo poo turbolift dimention on DISCO, I made some joke about finding a group of officers who got lost in the turbolift dimension and went all primitive, only for someone to mention there was an episode of babylon 5 like that. Its such a great premise the way its done too, at least at the start, a missing floor creepy! What a good concept! But then it ends up like a joke B story and resolves itself with no fanfare.

Really sad, I was hoping to see more out of it.

On the plus side though, the other story I was pleasantly surprised by. Not necessarily in how it was done or the overall plot, but I love the fact it was setting up yet another alliance race become fractured no doubt because of shadow influence, but instead the hard rear end dude totally comes around. It was nice to see them not falling apart like I thought they would.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

s3e20 and the rock cried out, no hiding place

Man... I'm not even up to the opening credits yet and I'm being reminded how much I hate Londo. God he's awful, I hate how jovial and silly he's treated by the show when he's like the galaxy's #1 dickbag.

edit: This conversation with Vir? Yeah, Londo can't gently caress off and die soon enough.

edit 2: lmao ok, that reveal and the music playing, that was glorious. Absolutely wonderful stuff. Still a dick way to treat Vir, even if he felt he needed him for his plan, i mean its not like Londo coming out on top is some great thing, he's been a dickbag the whole series. Also poo poo, they really put together a fleet, wasn't quite expecting they were going to put that much together. This countdown though is loving ominous.

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Mar 26, 2023

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

s3e21 shadow dancing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrfAWHHVz50

But in all seriousness :v: I'm glad they're wrapping up the doctors 'walkabout' stuff, and doubly glad its being wrapped up with "you're an idiot thinking you're looking for some great truth. get back to things" lol. That whole plot was very meh.

The whole space battle really shows where the shows cheap looking cgi, is also its strength for the mid 90's and lets them shoot the kind of thing they otherwise could never have gotten away with. It was pretty well done too and its neat how the war is kind of super slow building to this point where they could finally turn them back, it feels organic in their growth and learning how to fight them off, yet they still weren't able to do so without losing a bucketload of ships in their fleet.

Its nice to see the captain actually telling them about his visions with kosh, I hate when characters refuse to talk about elements of whats going on to others in the story for contrived reasons, which leads me to...

s3e22 Z'Ha'Dum

Holy poo poo thats a season finale.

Everything about this was fantastic. I was getting started on groaning about him giving in to a trap with neon signs around it because the plot demanded it, which is one of the things I hate most in shows. That contrived, "gorsh, I guess I should turn hostile to my friends and other trusted people on a whim to fall into an obvious trap, oh no!" is one of the worst thing, and I thought this episode was going to do that, but this show as a whole, Babylon 5, has been so incredibly smart to pull back almost every time those annoying plot contrivances happen. People actually talk to each other, reveal things, and trust things, and actually think.

The fact he knew it all, didn't trust any of it, and then his reasoning for going anyways was great. He's being just incredibly proactive for the story, seeing what happened and trying to actually use that knowledge to change things, or cut the gordian knot. Pretty hosed up thing to find out about his wife, but man oh man that reveal, that amazing reveal the second g'kar's words "but two of the nukes are missing... " leave his lips... just :discourse:

You know exactly whats going to happen (or at least what you hope will) from that second and you're loving every second of it, and they delivered it in spades. A lesser show would have his plan get foiled and the shadows capture the ship and him before he has a chance to blow it up, but they have really done well paying off everything and not falling into dumb writing brain.

I feel like he's not going to be dead, what with the kosh vision telling him to jump and all, that seems obvious. But i'm incredibly curious how he survives that.

Still, man that was a beautiful season ending show. This show really deserves its accolades.

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Mar 27, 2023

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

1x21: Babylon Squared.

Expectation: A scenario similar to the reappearance of Battlestar Pegasus, where the commander is a dickhead (continuing with the 'rear end in a top hat admiral' trope) and fights Sinclair over jurisdictional matters.

Reality: :tviv: I kind of thought something like that was coming, but holy loving poo poo! I would almost bet real money that Sinclair and Delenn's stories here are intertwined; especially since there's a lot more to the 'last 24 hours of the Earth-Minbari War' stuff than we yet know.

However, a minor quibble: It would be great if there was a science fiction show where humans weren't the center of the universe. We're hairless apes who are only a few thousand years removed from dragging our knuckles on the ground; how "important" and "special" could we idiots actually be to anyone?

I'm really looking forward to seeing where this goes now. It's really getting good.

this really is where the show felt like it was picking up and being something a bit more special. You kinda need that first season to slowly introduce you to the setting and player though

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

S4e1 the hour of the wolf.

oooh digging this new intro, i like everyone getting a line to say. So much ominous foreshadowing just in the title credits so far!

edit: What the gently caress?? how is morden alive? even if he looks like palpatine, that seems crazy

edit2: hah well theres your prophecy vision londo, eat poo poo, lol

edit3: space sauron!

edit4: and in the least shocking moment of the story, sheridan is still alive. How he survived and who this weirdo guy is i'm looking forward to finding out though. Seems this season is going to be split between Babylon 3: The Search For Sheridan, and the adventures of Vir: Royal Assassin. I hope londo and centauri prime get whats coming to them from the prophecy visions, though with sheridan throwing a spanner in the works I suppose thats all up in the air.

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Mar 28, 2023

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

s4e2 whatever happened to mr. Garibaldi?

Felt a bit contrived to have G'kar go "my honor dictates you leave me alone in a hostile place where people are hunting for me so that I'm easier to capture. go now!" I mean what was even the point of him being on that planet in the first place with G'kar? Just have G'kar there alone and it at least doesn't feel as weird.

Sinclair meeting uh... god? whatever, is very strange. I'd like a more concrete explanation for what happened to him, and I hope we get it, rather than this weird kind of mystical stuff.

This centauri emperor is nuts, but I guess that makes him a good representative centauri emperor. Hasn't this show done enough to G'kar and the narn? good lord they just keep piling it on top. I mean, this is a great speech by Londo to G'kar, but I got no sympathy for you in any of this Londo, you're sins aren't going to be washed away because you feel bad for the one narn that you personally know, while planning to use him to your ends. I really hope this isn't how the narn get back at the centauri, by having their freedom granted to them by the largess of Londo Molari thanks to G'kar acting as his pawn for an assassination. Thats a pretty unsatisfying way if they do, and the narn are still left with a destroyed, twice over now, planet and millions dead thanks to these nazis. Londo waving his hand and saying "you're free now" isn't enough to balance any of this, especially since they wouldn't have even lost their world and had millions dead without the fine work of Londo.

gently caress Londo and any of his self righteousness. Its too little too late.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

S4e03 The Summoning, aka The Most Predictable Return Ever

lol, not that its a bad thing, the show didn't really try to keep it in suspense or anything.

Jesus, I hate the centauri. The cardassians wish they were are loathsome as the centauri. At least the cardassians had Garrick! The only one the centauri have going for them is Vir, and he's not Garrick good, plus he'll probably die before the show is out...

I knew the vorlon's were getting shifty but jesus, they're just going around destroying every planet??? Why not put that effort into just snuffing out the shadows! Actually join the worlds fighting them! Are they really going to have to fight the vorlons and the shadows? Surely that 'first one' guy can just go talk to the vorlons and say "yo, dudes, cut it out and stop being dicks". They've been so secretive though its hard to really draw any conclusion about that. Kosh is the only one we even barely got to know and he barely said dick about the vorlons themselves.

Also lmao yeah, Geribaldi is totally some loving sleeper agent for some major bullshit coming down the pipe.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

S4e4 Falling towards apotheosis

Jesus christ, the vorlons are going at it hard, not even wasting any time. Weird to see the station folks looking at shariden as some kind of messiah too.

edit: lmao i love how batshit this emperor is, londo deserves him

edit 2 garibaldi is such a programmed infiltrator of some kind...

edit 3 man the vorlon really became frightening. They're worse than the shadows!

edit 4 Holy poo poo! that vorlon trap! What the gently caress is that thing? Thats a vorlon? why the hell did kosh just look like some kind of angel, is that just because he wanted them to? Is this freaky thing the real vorlon? Christ! The vorlon are way worse than the shadows. I wasn't expecting this total heel turn fro the vorlons, sure they were mysterious, but I wasn't expecting them to become the outright villains of the story. If it took all this to kill one of them, how on earth are they going to ever stop the vorlon? At least the shadows you can just shoot!

edit 5 Oooooh are we going to end this series with a wedding episode? Lets hope! That would be a great ending to babylon 5.

edit 6 what the gently caress! jesus leave g'kar alone god drat it! I know the future vision had an eyepatch so they're catching up to that but c'mon! the future should have changed!

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Mar 29, 2023

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

s4e05 The Long Night

Oh cool, the shadows are now grey goo-ing planets too. Things are looking up!

"by the end of this day the emperor will be dead or centauri prime will be"

edit:
Find the other first ones. Are they finally going to pay off that weird giant alien ship in season 1?

Jesus G'kar needs a break.

edit 2: oh poo poo samson g'kar!

edit 3: Dang, looks like Vir did have it in him. Once again the only worthwhile centauri on this show.

"i concure, we've taken our revenge for the war" gently caress you old dude! Revenge for what?? the last time you genocide fucks ruined their planet? god I hate the centauri. That happened a lot faster than I thought though, I kind thought the episode would build up to that, but, boop just happened.

edit 4: hey! Cranston makes an appearance! lol wait so that stuff wasn't grey goo, it was just a cloud of loving nukes? hahah

Man, Vir! don't feel so down buddy, you're a hero (sort of, i mean it was just to save centauri...)

edit 5: fuuuuck just straight up throwing them to the wolves as a ruse. I mean I get they need this plan to work but dang thats cold.

edit 6: Man I don't like this resolution to narn. The centauri just leaving because Londo promised a favor, and now G'kar just preaching to let them be and embrace peace or some poo poo. Like, gently caress, just from a practical standpoint the centauri could return at any to finish them off, 3rd times the charm. They're left with a twice over decimated world by these maniacs of the galaxy and they're just supposed to let it be? The centauri need to be stopped from ever again being able to inflict their violence on another single world, they're too dangerous to just be allowed to do it again as soon as some new emperor says to. I really hope the show has more to say about this and they aren't just trying to push some weirdo message of 'rising above' the nazis that gust got done genocide a people for the 2nd time.

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Apr 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

S4e6 Into the Fire

disappointed the first one they found isn't that weird ship they showed in season 1, I'm still waiting for that call back to matter. I'm impressed again by what they're able to do on their budget for the mid 90's to have space combat shots, something they just couldn't have done with models

edit: "the vorlons will also be at centauri, why aren't we there?" man why give a poo poo about those fuckers, you chose wisely to leave them (though i'm sure centauri will be just fine, the show seems to love these assholes). lol hearing the mimbari say "haul rear end" gives me the chuckles.

edit 2: I'm still waiting for this first one dude to have some reveal and be like space satan. His story sounds so far fetched, and all this 'moving beyond the galaxy' feels like some straight up lord of the rings elves leaving on the boat stuff, lol.

edit 3: lol Londo, you got played by the most obvious con. idiot. I guess this means he's probably going to kill morden at least, or get killed by morden, or they'll both kill each other (the best solution). Morden deserves a good killing though, so any outcome will be good

edit 4: ah, he's setting out a nuke minefield. Isn't this exactly how he beat a mimbari ship in the human-mimbar war? That seems like an appropriate call back for sheridan

edit 5: oh poo poo! That was not what I expected, they just loving nuked the shadows on their own island, shot his shadow guards, and yet didn't loving kill morden?!? just locked him up?

edit 6: I'm still not sure how they're going to win this, what mcguffin they're going to pull it, because theres no way its just a straight up battle to the end

edit 7: ahahahahahahaha this is a perfect callback and end for morden. good loving riddance, and Vir even gets to have a cheeky smile and wave. lol, wonderful

edit 8: well poo poo it is that ship from season 1! glad that finally got paid off, at least sort of. Its pretty much just background noise. I can't express enough though how much I love these first one designs, they're all so varied in their ships, its some great visuals

edit 9: Eat poo poo londo, if you cause the destruction of centauri you loving deserved it, every bit of it

edit 10: oh loving BOOOOO, c'mon vorlons! don't leave londo hanging! do your jobs!

edit 11: wow that was a really good conclusion to the war and the story. Satisfying, and different, and fascinating to see the shadows and vorlons as children with the first one guy. However... thats just it. This feels absolutely final, a conclusion to babylon 5, to the story of the series, and a good one, but... its still onyl the begining of season 4!! What in the loving happens in the remaining 2 seasons? This feels... like studio fucker, or condensed plot development because they didn't think they would get another season, or thought they would get canceled, or something. This is way too loving strange to just... have everything in the show wrapped up in a neat little bow 2 seasons before the end of the show?? This should be the conclusion to the series, i'm so confused!

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Apr 1, 2023