Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

Why is Ivanova, a good Jewish girl, eating bacon?

It came up in S1 that she doesn't care about dietary laws

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Actually something that struck me as odd about the scene in S1 (spoilers just in case but it's pretty tame):
The rabbi doesn't know whether the alien food is kosher and comes up with a decision on the spot, but I'd have expected the matter to have been extensively discussed (although not necessarily reaching a consensus) basically as soon as eating alien food became a thing people could do

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I only started watching it this year but I think it's aged pretty well. Its concerns are generally either pretty timeless or extremely relevant in 2020, and on the visual effects side it obviously hasn't blown me away but on the other hand there are only a few times it's pulled me out of the story to think "this looks bad"

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

You do lose consciousness/die quicker in a vacuum than from suffocation. In the latter case you still have oxygen already in your blood and lungs that takes a little bit of time to use up, but in a vacuum the oxygen will all leave your bloodstream

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Although unlike certain storytelling styles, it isn't all setup no payoff for four seasons. Things do get explained/resolved at a reasonable pace.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Powered Descent posted:

I haven't said much about the telepath plotline, and that's because I've mostly lost interest. The whole thing with the telepath colony could have made a really kickass two-parter episode, but it has just dragged on so drat long and I'm sick to death of Byron and his extremely 90s leonine haircut being all pained-but-determined.

It's definitely a big weak point in the show. It could definitely benefit from being shorter, and I suspect it would have been, if not for the production fuckery with season 5 being cancelled then uncancelled. I also think it would have been better if, as presumably originally planned, Ivanova had been charge of the station instead of the new woman whose name I can't remember. Her history with telepathy would add an extra dimension to what was going on

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Angepain posted:

I remember reading Phillip K Dick complaining once that at one point one of the science fiction magazines demanded that every story had psychics in and that their powers conformed to specific rules, which i thought was exaggeration but maybe not that much

It's not literally every story, but John W Campbell was incredibly influential in deciding what sort of thing should be in SF stories in his magazine, and by extension ore generally, and he loved ESP almost as much he hated anything other than extremely logical white men

Qwertycoatl fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Jun 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Angepain posted:

Ivanova's still got her injury from last episode, nice bit of continuity there

They didn't have a choice, Claudia Christian broke her leg, which is the real reason Ivanova was injured in the previous episode