Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

mllaneza posted:

Wait, what ? That episode is aggressively stylistic, but it's gorgeous. It's not trying to look realistic, and that is the point - the whole environment is a construct, a stage for a morality play. It may not be the most visually appealing episode, but it's certainly the most effective use of design in TOS.

Yeah but it only happened that way because the original plan to film on some regular western style sets fell through. It's much better the way it aired, but that wasn't the original plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Narzack posted:

Oh, snap, i just found this thread, having just finished episode 3.17.

Welcome aboard!

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Empress Brosephine posted:

I don't really remember but was battlestar galactica the first show to not do that unless absolutely Neccesary?

Actually the original '79 Galactica was really good about that. Adama almost never left the ship in that version of the show. 2004 Galactica had Adama wandering off in an abandoned space station by himself in the pilot. :doh:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

I ran into a first time watcher reacting on YouTube. She's Welsh and has gotten as far as The Coming of Shadows, and puts new episodes out every Wednesday or so. I've found her commentary amusing, and maybe you will too. :shrug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muDysUDm968 starting with The Gathering.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

kingturnip posted:

She really isn't

[edit]
Although her videos are fun to watch (even if I kind of dislike 'reaction' videos on principle

I mean the address she has for people to send fan mail and the like to her is in Wales so..... :shrug:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Doctor Zero posted:

I live on the East Coast of the US but my accent is midwestern.

People can move :ssh:

Obviously. But at what point does someone adopt the designation of his or her new home instead of the one he or she is born in? If I was born in Chicago and move to Dallas, when can I start calling myself a Texan? A year? Four years? Ten years? When I have a Texan accent from assimilation? Never? And if the answer is anything besides "never", why can't someone apparently born and raised in Newcastle be considered Welsh if she's lived there a long time?

But whatever, this isn't a hill I care to die on. I'm willing to concede that "Welsh" may have greater significance somehow than "Chicagoan", "Texan", or "American".

Ahem.

I ran into a first time watcher reacting on YouTube. She's Welsh a British person living in Wales and has gotten as far as The Coming of Shadows, and puts new episodes out every Wednesday or so. I've found her commentary amusing, and maybe you will too. :shrug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muDysUDm968 starting with The Gathering.

Cool? Cool.

Anyway, vis a vis her commentary itself...

CainFortea posted:

I'm not against reaction videos, and in lieu of our regular blind watchers doing any posting it'd be fine.

I just can't understand her.

Maybe try the CC. They seem to be mostly correct.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Hollismason posted:

Now that I can watch this on HBO Max I am starting my rewatch of Babylon 5. I last watched Babylon 5 when it originally aired. I really don't remember any of this. I'm starting with The Gathering as that's listed as episode 1 on HBOMax.

Hey, close enough. Give us your impressions as you go!

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

Start watching again when I can, or wait for the reboot?

:thunk:

I've heard the reboot/continuation song before. There was supposed to be a movie at one point, a new spin off show another time, and who knows what else that I may have missed over the years. If they actually get to the point of filming something, then maybe I'll believe it, and maybe not even then.

For that matter, since the reboot is supposed to be a "ground up" complete re-do, who knows how much or little of the original B5 will even be in the new show....if it ever even gets off the ground. And even if it does somehow materialize, it won't be for years and even with JMS doing some of the writing, no guarantee that it'll be any good! One need look no further than Discovery or Picard to see what might happen when you reboot a beloved science fiction TV show, after all.

Which is to say, you should probably continue this watch through. Babylon 5 (1993) is a classic. Babylon 5 (202?) is a mystery at best.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Midjack posted:

Depends on what's going on at the time, destroying it means it can't be reused as a pirate base or similar.

Let's be honest with ourselves, it was totally a Rule of Cool decision. I mean they recycled parts of B1-B3 for B4 over and over again after the first three were blown up, there's really no good reason not to just dismantle B5 for parts and raw materials. But it has symmetry with Kosh's answer to the dying Centauri emperor, "How does it end?" "In fire." It's also a cool visual and that's what JMS wanted. :shrug:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We should point out that the CG for the pilot were done on an Amiga. Given the tools they were using back in 1993, what they managed to accomplish was nothing short of miraculous.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

It's all explained eventually, but it's not a spoiler to answer this question. Jump gates: There's regular space and hyperspace. Everything in B5 travels at sublight, but in hyperspace distances are different so you can travel at effectively FTL speed. There are two ways to use hyperspace. One is the jumpgate. You have to have one both to enter and to leave hyperspace. They broadcast beacons, which are used for navigation in hyperspace. Without those you can get lost, there aren't any physical features and there's a flow that will pull you off course if you aren't following the beacon. The other way is a jump drive. Larger ships can create their own jump points and enter/exit without needing a jumpgate. That's what solves your chicken and egg problem--a big ship with a jump drive goes out scouting, finds a new place, and builds a jump gate there. Then ships without jump drives are able to use the gate to access it. As for who builds and maintains them, there's no single answer. Earth builds ones in Earth Alliance space, Centauri in theirs, etc.

One cute detail I've always appreciated is that most Jump Gates we see in the show are Centauri manufacture from back when they had a big empire all over the place, or Human manufacture...which look the same as Centauri ones because Humans bought Jump Gate tech from Centauri traders and use the same basic design. However, when we see a Narn Jump Gate it only has three parts rather than the normal four because the Narns are starved for resources and are more willing to risk a bad jump than other races, which speaks to their economic situation post-Centauri occupation and the recklessness with which they're expanding their territory. It's a cute little bit of world building that's easy to miss, but speaks to how the show cares about the details.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Powered Descent posted:

Last thought: whatever happened to the commander's girlfriend? It appeared like she'd be sticking around but she hasn't gotten so much as a mention in several episodes now.

She has her own gig surveying systems. She'll drop back in when the plot demands it when she can find time.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

discoukulele posted:

s02e04 Passing Through Gethsemane

[*] oh hey random thought Garibaldi said in this episode that they do mind-wiping instead of the death penalty now. But I thought they had previously mentioned spacing for things like treason, and I thought they had said murder then, too.

Civilians can't be executed. The worst they get is Death of Personality. Military justice, on the other hand, still allows for death by spacing for capital crimes. Since Jack was a member of EarthForce when he shot Garibaldi, he's up for a spacing.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Midjack posted:

B5 managed to license some extremely dubious games.

But also some good ones. I loved Babylon 5 Wars, for instance. The game broke down if you let fleet sizes get too big, but for small scale engagements, the level of detail they put in was marvelous. Once Agents of Gaming lost the license and it went to Mongoose, their Babylon 5: A Call to Arms did large fleet battles much better, but I really missed the detail and personality of the ships from B5 Wars.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Midjack posted:

B5W was good and Fleet Action was okay, though B5W became unplayable with more than a handful of ships on each side, similar to Star Fleet Battles. I have everything AoG published for B5W and FA as well as the ActA 1E base but never had a chance to play it and never bothered with any of the expansions - it seemed a bit less abstract than FA but nowhere near as teeth-shatteringly crunchy as B5W.

You could make B5 Wars work on a large scale in a convention setting where you had a lot of players each handling a small number of ships, a GM or two to keep things on track, and a double time slot of like eight hours. I once played a B5W event at Origins just like that where we played out one of the bigger battles from the show where each of us got one capital ship and it's fighter squadrons. Took forever, but it was a hell of a lot of fun.

Not something you could reasonably do on the fly, of course, but it could be done.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

ultrafilter posted:

If you start watching the show knowing that all five seasons were made, you're not getting the real 90s watch experience. There was a threat of cancellation every year, but the show was renewed the first three seasons because the execs at PTEN thought it could continue to grow the audience. When it came time to sign for season 5, they didn't have that confidence, so they declined to renew it. Fortunately, JMS was able to strike a deal with TNT to do the fifth season.

This did have some pretty significant effect on the end of season 4, though. Basically, JMS had to choose between either filming what he'd originally planned and risking an incomplete series, or cutting some material so that the show could have a resolution of some kind. He chose the latter, and so we got what could've been a series finale at the end of season 4. If all of this hadn't happened, s4e18 would've been the season finale.

That isn't quite correct. B5 was canceled after it's fourth season because the "network" (actually a first run syndication package) it ran on, PTEN, itself was folding up shop. PTEN had been formed in '93 as a joint venture between Warner and Chris-Craft (a boating manufacturing company that owned a bunch of non-network TV stations) but by '95 Warner was founding the WB and Chris-Craft was signing up with Paramount to help launch UPN. So when the renewal deal came up for PTEN in '97, Chris-Craft bailed out to focus on UPN instead and PTEN ceased to exist.

Chris-Craft ended up losing $500m on UPN, went bankrupt in 2001, and CBS-Viacom picked over the corpse and bought the rights to UPN for a measly $5m, and eventually teamed up with Warner in 2006 to merge the husk of UPN with the WB into the CW we know today in 2006.

Shoulda stuck with PTEN, Chris-Craft. Maybe you'd still be around if you'd kept playing the B5 card instead of letting Voyager destroy you. :colbert:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Polaron posted:

Which is, ironically, the network financing the remake. History may not repeat, but it rhymes.

That's just a straight up rights issue. The B5 DVDs are published by Warner Home Media, and Warner still has the TV rights to the show, so of course they're going to air it on the network they've got 50% control of. It might have been nice if they'd gone the other possible distribution chain...through HBO, if only to get a sniff of those HBO stacks of cash rather than CW pocket change...but then we'd be looking at 8-10 episode seasons. :shrug:

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jan 5, 2022

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

jng2058 posted:

That's just a straight up rights issue. The B5 DVDs are published by Warner Home Media, and Warner still has the TV rights to the show, so of course they're going to air it on the network they've got 50% control of. It might have been nice if they'd gone the other possible distribution chain...through HBO, if only to get a sniff of those HBO stacks of cash rather than CW pocket change...but then we'd be looking at 8-10 episode seasons. :shrug:

Jows posted:

B5 on HBO: More than just Londo's dick

Seriously. :rolleyes:

Vitruvian Manic posted:

CW makes a bunch of great shows on a shoestring budget, B5 will very much be at home there. HBO would drain it of all optimism and melodrama to make it "gritty" "realistic" and "grown up". We have enough shows with muted color palettes about hard men making hard choices against the forces of adversity.

I think I agree, but I'm moving why to the other thread...

Discussion continued on the regular B5 Thread here so I can be more specific.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Powered Descent posted:

• All these worlds are yours except Epsilon 3. Attempt no landing there.

:golfclap:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Powered Descent posted:

s04e11 - Lines of Communication - The "blurry guy" special effect for the Drakh looked pretty bad, I'm hoping that was partially an artifact of the motion smoothing on the drat hotel TV.

They stuck the blurry filter on because JMS hated the Drakh costume they came up with but didn't have time or cash to get a new one made. But he also hated the blurry effect, so they never did it again, either.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Powered Descent posted:

[*] All right, I guess the stone age monks aren't THE END the end, there's our mysterious fellow a million years hence who spent his last few minutes reviewing old Babylon 5 episodes through a 1997 interface... which, I've come to appreciate, isn't the worst way to run out Earth's clock. And that last guy out the door before the sun blows was wearing a human-styled Vorlon-ish encounter suit, which was kind of neat. It seems humans have reached a similar state to what the First Ones did. So this "New Earth" that they're going to, is that outside the galaxy like where the Vorlons and Shadows and Lorien went? Or are the humans still hanging around and providing cryptic clues to the hapless younger races that still think digital watches are a pretty neat idea?
[/list]

According to JMS....New Earth is the old Vorlon Homeworld, Humans having finally reached a level of tech that allows them to turn off the automated defenses the Vorlons left behind. And yes, the implication is that the combined Human/Minbari future humans have taken up the stewardship of the galaxy to watch over the younger races...presumably for however long they can manage it before they gently caress it up like the Vorlons and Shadows did and some future Sheridan equivalent kicks them beyond the Rim too.

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Apr 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Jedit posted:

You might want to fix your quote there.

Well spotted. Fixed.