Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Just picked this up and holy poo poo is the cgi terrible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Zat posted:

It does get better, but it's still a product of its time.

Also if you started with the pilot movie, The Gathering, it looks even worse than the actual series even in season 1.

Oh lol that's what I did.
Watching it on HBO Max.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I got alot of tolerance for bad cgi but the quality of the stuff in the pilot jumped out at me.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

jng2058 posted:

We should point out that the CG for the pilot were done on an Amiga. Given the tools they were using back in 1993, what they managed to accomplish was nothing short of miraculous.

:stonklol: Just incredible.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Just watched "Mind War" and I'm sorry I burst out laughing at the end.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

sebmojo posted:

Sinclair is great, some people are down on him but I think he has a lot of presence.

I'm up to like episode 15(?) and I think he's ok.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I also have been making my way through season 2, it's getting a bit weird.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

The HBO max version is all messed up. :saddowns:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Vavrek posted:

Right. I thought of that one, briefly, but only realized Ellison had co-writer credit recently and so it's not stuck in my head yet as "JMS wrote all but 1.5 of the episodes in S5", so I neglected to mention it. Thanks for the correction.

:saddowns:
What's wrong with it?

The audio is completely desynced lol.
It's basically unwatchable.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Alhazred posted:

Ruled by a military dictatorship.

A space station is like the perfect example of a hydraulic despotism so really it's a highly realistic space show. :hmmyes:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Just finished S2:
lmao this show just murdered the idea of subtext with a rusty knife
I'm still loling.

Lawman 0 fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Dec 28, 2021

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Sic Transit Vir: This show murders subtext with a rusty spoon. :stonk:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

DS9 is also very good, just different. If you were forcing me to rank 90s SF shows I'd put it second after B5. Also it has Garak.

I'm about halfway through B5 and I don't believe the theory that DS9 copied it all other than that they might have gotten the same pitch and started from there. (But they went in different directions)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

ultrafilter posted:

IIRC there's some circumstantial evidence that Paramount stole the idea for a space station-based show from JMS's pitch for B5 but not much beyond that.

Yeah but like I don't think they really hit the same plot points.