Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

I love this thread and am looking very crossly at the people who can't keep their excitement to themselves :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

The_Doctor posted:

S1E09 - Deathwalker! <starts punching>

ďA stroke of the brush does not guarantee art from the bristles.Ē

Ooh, Koshenanigans! I love his encounter suit, and am pondering the practicalities of doing it as cosplay. :3:

(Production-related tidbit, no story spoilers at all): The costume was apparently a nightmare to wear, to the extent that once things wrapped up the production team and actor reportedly took it outside and dragged it behind a truck.

Granted, modern technology might've come far enough that it would no longer be an ordeal.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Tiny thing: Vorlon, not Zorlon.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

TheAardvark posted:

:lol: sorry. I think the word just hasn''t been used enough to stick in my brain correctly.

Wait until you see how many different ways people have come up with to spell "Minbari" :v:

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

I hope you guys keep these lists around so you can revisit them when you finish the show.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Morden, not Borden.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Or they're drinking some weird, highly processed Nu-Caff that's sorta like coffee if you're still waking up.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

TheAardvark posted:

Kosh Nerannick? Not sure we heard his whole name before this.

Naranek

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Confessions and Lamentations: I'm pretty sure it was intended to be a direct reference to the AIDS epidemic, given what was going on when it was made and the reference to the disease being associated with "unclean/deviant" members of society

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

TheAardvark posted:

The Fall of Night:

Lmao Sheridan starting a war. Oh come the gently caress on don't tell me they're going to still offer the alliance.

gently caress this is pretty tense. Looking forward to whatever Sheridan can get away with in this meeting. No way he's going to let this stand right?

Hey, remember Chekov's Defense Grid? :v:

The scene of the station vs the Centauri battlecruiser is still one of my favorite in the show.

I'm pretty sure JMS has said that Sheridan was 100% going to give that "As with everything else, it's the thought that counts" speech as his apology.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

sebmojo posted:

Season 3 opening narration

IT FAILED

BOOM BOOM CLANG

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

The_Doctor posted:

It looks like itíd be hell to wear. Iíve been vaguely looking at Kosh cosplay possibilities in the last couple of weeks, and doing a breakdown of what itíd require. Basically youíre putting a lot of weight on your shoulders, and thatís less than ideal.

I think I mentioned this earlier in the thread but once they were done with the Kosh costume the showrunners took it to the lot out front and dragged it behind a pickup truck because everyone hated it so much.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Don't do this, dude.

Polaron fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Aug 9, 2020

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Hey Aardvark, are you still watching?

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

ikanreed posted:

[Snipped]

Don't do this. Go to the main thread in TV IV if you can't keep it in your pants.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

discoukulele posted:

Okay so I'm definitely rewatching those before I move on :psypop:

:yeshaha:

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

jng2058 posted:

The CW we know today in 2006.

Which is, ironically, the network financing the remake. History may not repeat, but it rhymes.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

discoukulele posted:

So we're watching Thirdspace and my friend asked a question about Mira Furlon so I looked up her Wikipedia and I didn't know that she just died last year. drat :(

West Nile virus, of all things

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Sweevo posted:

I've always felt exactly the same. Those characters are basically there just because they are main characters and the writer/studio decided they had to be included somehow, and it makes no sense story wise - particularly for G'Kar.

Londo's also the one telling the story and probably inserted people he knew to make things more interesting

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Powered Descent posted:

s02e12 - Acts of Sacrifice
  • Whoops, killed the Narn. I guess they still haven't invented a stun setting (or cops still just default to deadly force anyway, even centuries in the future).

PPGs fire balls of superhot plasma. Not really something you can add a stun setting to.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Powered Descent posted:

s02e16 - In the Shadow of Z'ha'dum
  • Wait, are all Vorlons these ancient ones, or just Kosh?

Yes.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Hey you want to put some spoiler tags on that in this thread?

discoukulele posted:

s05e08 Ė Day of the Dead
  • Lochley gets visited by Zoe. Iím not clear if she was a former friend or lover.

Former lover, according to Gaiman.

Polaron fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Feb 3, 2022

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

discoukulele posted:

Legend of the Rangers
  • I mean, it looks sleek compared to the other B5 movies so far

• An underground city was found on Beta Durani 7 with a pyramid that apparently opens up a parallel dimension. It kinda reminds me of Thirdspace so I'm wondering if it's the same species or what

I believe they were intended to be servants of the Thirdspace guys, though I'm not sure if they were supposed to be corrupted Vorlons or something else

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Narsham posted:

If you saw a giant hologram of Sheridan appear, would your first thought be "I bet he's using that big buried device on the planet below to do that?" More likely, it'd be more like "How the heck is he doing that" or "I didn't know the station had giant hologram projectors." Whereas firing the frankly not THAT effective missiles would be a pretty obvious give-away.

Didn't the Great Machine whip out a giant beam cannon at some point too?

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Morden

Or, more accurately

MEEEEEEESTER MORRR-DEN!

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

CainFortea posted:

Without going too deep into details...

The show was ended in season 4, so the actress went on to do other things. Then they got a surprise revival for season 5. But she was already doing other things.

The producers say she backed out.

She says she was fired before she even know the show was back.

The most recent explanation seems to have been both side's agents playing contract chicken without actually talking to their clients until it was too late

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Powered Descent posted:

s04e21 - Rising Star

• I question the wisdom of having a fleet of tremendously powerful alien warships fly menacingly overhead, literally shaking the very ground, while making a pitch for peace and cooperation. Sends a mixed message.

Carrot and stick, man. I feel like it's sending precisely the message it's meant to.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Powered Descent posted:

Hello again, thread! Our TV-watching time has been a bit limited lately, but we're finally getting back to the last few episodes of B5. (I watched s05e17 - Movements of Fire and Shadow some weeks ago but it appears I completely forgot to record my reactions. Apologies.)

s05e18 - The Fall of Centauri Prime
  • Weren't the Drakh the aliens with that really bad "blurry" effect in their first appearance? Or am I thinking of another set of aliens? Anyway, they're now just reptilian-ish looking -- much better than the bad special effect, but also fairly... normal?

Yes. They didn't like the original costume, hence the special effect, but then that didn't work either so they went back to the drawing board for all future appearances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

jng2058 posted:

There's a couple of podcasters watching B5 for the first time on YouTube. It's fairly early on, they just hit Signs and Portents in season one so it's not all that onerous to catch up. It's pretty good so far!

https://www.youtube.com/c/Babylon5FortheFirstTime

They may not get very far if they're posting Reaction videos. WB has been copyright striking reaction videos on all of their properties over the last week or so, including B5.