Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Doctor Zero posted:

On the other hand, some people don't even look up future episode titles, so best to err on the side of caution. IMO the "blind watch" should be as close to the pure 1st time viewing experience as possible.

Honestly, I barely even vibe with the concept of spoilers because I reread and rewatch things constantly and enjoy the good ones more each time, BUT, this thread is about taking in a genuine masterwork of storytelling (for all its quirks and foibles) untainted so I'd really appreciate an utterly anal approach to non-spoilering. Talking about specific eps under tagged spoiler blocks is fine, everything else, use the other thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

^^^

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Narsham posted:

What's particularly wonderful about the performance is that you can clearly sense how much G'Kar wishes that it were possible for Vir to be forgivable; that his question, ultimately, is not rhetorical, but also that he is not the same person we saw in early S1 where he would take pleasure in the discomfort (or worse) of any Centauri. He knows Vir means what he say, and he also knows that doesn't make a drat bit of difference, and he's not going to allow Vir comfort at the cost of his own principles. Just a really amazing piece of work, even without the prosthetic.

Stephen Furst told a story about this scene:
That was horrible for me. I'm telling you, he is such a good actor and it's even harder to act under rubber and these red lenses. I'm in the elevator and I'm nervous around him, the character. We're in the elevator and I'm just trying to avoid his eyes. He takes out a knife and I don't know what the hell he's going to do with a knife. He cuts his hand. Every drop of blood he goes, "Dead. Dead. Dead." Did the scene and they yell cut and I go, "I'm so sorry!" Tears were just streaming down my face! I was just, oh my god, I kept apologizing. Finally at lunch, Andreas said, "Get away already!" (from 20th anniversary conventions annotated panel transcripts book)

2x21

that's a nice insight, i agree. gkar and londo are magnificent.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Haven't seen him for a bit, but I'll encourage him to come back when I do.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Jedit posted:

If anyone was wondering, I've heard from VideoGames. He'll be back, have no fear.

:yayclod:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Much of this page feels like it belongs in the other thread lest someone get careless.

That's a good idea. Thank you for editing your post IN.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I disagree, it is what it is but the strong points are still strong.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Centauri are complete assholes, I think it's p much in line with that. Vir is very much the exception.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Blind watch thread, dingus

added some spoilers.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Is anyone in a position to resume their blind watch? i loved those reports so much... happy to spot someone a sweet av if they can finish a season.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Thanks, I love your recaps!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Polaron posted:

Don't do this. Go to the main thread in TV IV if you can't keep it in your pants.

Yep, keep this thread ultra clean plz

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

wrong thread, sorry

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Feb 14, 2021

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

wrong thread, sorry

vvv yeah sorry, i didn't notice. I edited Zorak's post and deleted mine. vvv

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Feb 15, 2021

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

DrBouvenstein posted:

I don't know, I feel like I've seen people in this thread say things exactly like that, that simply saying "watch this thing after Season 3, episode 4" is a spoiler or what have you, even if they don't put plot points anywhere.

(That was just a fake example, as far as I'm aware, no "extra B5 material" is ideally seen directly after season 3, ep 4.)

But i agree with Jedit, In the Beginning is best after Season 4 ends if that's what Blindeye was referring to.

Yeah after s4 is right.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The dr and ivanova analogues in TG were really bad and the plot was a little nonsensical, so yeah I'd skip it. I quite liked the much more sinister delenn though.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

ultrafilter posted:

Do we have any active blind watchers still?

Theoretically, but not for a while.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Narzack posted:

I finished season 3, when I get home I'll post what i have written. Been kinda wary to check this thread since goons are really, really bad about spoilers.

This thread really is the exception to that lol

Please do post though, there is a peanut gallery of goons waiting with bated breath for your impressions

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Yeah your write ups are great! We are reading them avidly but the clean room level spoiler protocols mean we can't go ".. ha, wait until you see X!" so just assume we are all muttering it under our breaths gleefully.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

kingturnip posted:

She really isn't

[edit]
Although her videos are fun to watch (even if I kind of dislike 'reaction' videos on principle

Yah I think that is a brummie accent on a quick listen, or maybe manchester

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The_Doctor posted:

She’s got a Geordie accent, which is Newcastle.

you probs know better than I. Def not welsh though, that's more singsongy.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

If season 5 had given lyta more to do as an actual foil to byron I think that part of it could have been infinitely better.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Jedit posted:

Yeah, the "registered yesterday" bit was a clue. I'd wager money that it's Incel'shok Na back for another round, and he was a rereg of a previously banned poster.

yeah it's him lol

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Yep! I put some spoilers around that, please take care in this thread.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

So good. What did you think about the shift in commanders?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

there's a funny story about that guy i'll tell it in the other thread

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

In development means probably not going to happen, started filming is when you start your expectation engines.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

at the time it seemed entertaining but laughably over the top lol :smith:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Hollismason posted:

Well I've done it I've watched B5 from start to finish even going back and rewatching episodes I fell asleep to. drat what a great show. Can't believe its over. drat..

did u cry at sleeping in light

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

goggles in awe at vorlon ship with the windows 3.11 for worksgroups hotdog stand theme stretched across it

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Jedit posted:

Breaking your link. Please don't post videos with any kind of spoiler for the show in the Blind Watch thread. I only posted the jumpgate video because I knew it was spoiler free (and you can see what I wanted to show in the thumbnail).

i took it out. take general b5 chat over to the other thread :)

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The bbc version of Defender slapped

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Powered Descent posted:

Hello there B5 blind watch thread! I'm Powered Descent. I've been meaning to check out this show for a couple of decades now, so today my girlfriend and I finally sat down and watched the first episode, Midnight on the Firing Line. I'll be trying to react to B5 as its own thing, but seeing as we're both HUGE fans of Deep Space Nine, some comparisons are inevitable. Anyway, here are my reactions, more or less in the order I thought them during the viewing.

1. Holy cow, you can SEE how low the budget was. I may have been spoiled by Star Trek for my expectations of 90s sci-fi production values. The sets and lighting, the filming, it's all barely above soap opera level. About the only thing that doesn't look cheap is the alien makeup, which somehow is top notch. (With the possible exception of the sideways-mohawk Space Hungarians.) Still, I refuse to hold the show's frugality against it. A good story can be compellingly told with cardboard sets, after all.

2. Man, those were some awkward-rear end exposition dumps right at the beginning. But as a lifelong sci-fi fan, I'm used to those, and honestly I'll take a good old-fashioned infodump over the recent trend of the super gradual season-long reveal of backstory for no other reason than to artificially prolong a mystery.

3. Why can't the telepath tell why someone doesn't like her? I mean, having telepathy and all. (Addendum, later on: oh, so I guess she has to touch a person to read them.)

4. Well now, the be-mohawked Centauri aliens are certainly playing to the back row, aren't they? I certainly wouldn't accuse either of them of underacting. (I actually started enjoying their performance more by thinking of their scenes as a stage play on film.)

5. So they solved the A plot (the Narn attack on the colony world) thanks to the B plot (it turns out the pirates are buying their weapons from the Narn). Good on them for bringing the threads together, but it's still kind of an unsatisfying ending since it's really a total coincidence. The two chains of events were unrelated except for both happening to involve Narn.

Overall reaction: I give this episode 2 out of 5 Babylons, and I'm being a little generous with that because it's not unusual for pilot episodes to be kind of wonky. I can see how the characters could have some potential, but this episode was... kind of dire. I'll keep watching, but... it DOES get better than this, right?

P.S. Are the Narn from the planet Narnia? :buddy: (I figure I'm the one millionth person to make that obvious joke. What's my prize?)

Excellent! there will be a lot of people watching your reaction, nothing as depraved as a b5 newbie-addict in the throes of a reaction binge

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Yeah general chat about b5 should go to the other thread tyvmia

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Imo it's just about ok, but very skippable: two of the actors are really bad and happily did not continue to the show (in their defence, they may not have received good direction).

I liked the more sinister and alien version of delenn though.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Sinclair is great, some people are down on him but I think he has a lot of presence.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

It's like, Idk, 40% awful. Maybe watch it after you are done with s1

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Loving these write ups, btw. You're making lots of on point observations!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

IT FAILED

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

DUN DUN BWARRR DUN DUN BWARR