Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Slamhound posted:

If a cat has kittens in the oven, you don't call 'em biscuits.

You call them ducklings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Doctor Zero posted:

(BTW, I hope that was a Babylon5 joke)

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The worst bits of season 5 are the bits that ask us to care about random goings on on the station - who cares if a new gangster has set up shop given the scale of the previous few episodes?

I thought it was fun to watch him rapidly finding out that he was in way over his head as he tried to take on the rangers

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

discoukulele posted:

s02e12 – Acts of Sacrifice
[list]
[*] The entire Lumari sex subplot was super :rolleyes:

I kinda liked how Ivanova found a way to embarrass the representative and making fun of his bullshit sexist traditions without causing a diplomatic incident

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

sebmojo posted:

DUN DUN BWARRR DUN DUN BWARR

discoukulele posted:

s02e20 – Divided Loyalties

• lol the Inquisitor is Jack the Ripper :wtc:

"Let's make a serial killer torture people"

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

discoukulele posted:

• Oh hey, everyone got new uniforms!
And they're really ugly

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

discoukulele posted:

[
[*] It’s Zathras!

No, I'm pretty sure it's Zathras.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Chevy Slyme posted:

B5 is an actual city in space.

Ruled by a military dictatorship.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Rudeboy Detective posted:

A benevolent, enlightened military lord of the rings dictatorship.

Unless Ivanova is in charge

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Powered Descent posted:

s01e15 - The Quality of Mercy
    [
  • If the thing about Minbari and alcohol is true (that even a small amount of it sends them into violent rages), you'd think that'd be a pretty well-known fact among people like ambassadors, who would want to prevent unfortunate incidents at formal receptions.

It's probably a well-known fact among the ambassadors who actually give a poo poo.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Powered Descent posted:

[*] Okay, the main bad guy here is just WAY too over-the-top evil. It's impossible to take him seriously. The inevitable Trek comparison is to the TNG episode "The Drumhead", which handled this a lot better: Admiral Satie was outwardly reasonable and even pulled Worf into her orbit before she revealed herself as being on a witch hunt. The point of that episode was, and I quote, "Villains who twirl their mustaches are easy to spot. Those who clothe themselves in good deeds are well-camouflaged." This villain twirled his mustache and flaunted his malevolence every chance he got, and the story was much shallower for it.
[/list]

Apparently this was the actor's choice. He was going through some personal stuff and used the over the top acting as a coping mechanism.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Powered Descent posted:

s02e02 - Revelations

[*] The plot with the techno-mages... yeah, I didn't love that one so much. The techno-mages, for me, strike just the wrong balance of not-really-plausible-in-universe. It's common knowledge that they're just doing technical illusions and larping as wizards, so why does everyone take them so seriously?

Because if you don't take them seriously they will hack your computer.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Grand Fromage posted:

Technomages, there is more to them that we can't tell you and also isn't ever explored again in the series, but when you're done it's worth looking up to figure out what their deal was. I'm not sure why they don't show up again, maybe because they were kinda lame.

They show up again in Crusade

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

alexandriao posted:

That's valid, and I can get why they would want to communicate that ("We're using the trappings of trek but please don't push us into the same wheelhouse") but I think the episode was a fair bit more satisfying than a fair few of Trek's. It went about as well as I'd expected from the beginning, the telegraphing was pretty clear, and the doctor's speech about being expected to be god, and this time, taking the authority was well framed overall

It's also an episode that establish that Franklin always consider himself to be in the right. He's not out of touch, it's the patients that are wrong.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Powered Descent posted:

s03e02 - Convictions

[*] In fact, there's already a group of (probably-)monks on the station, the ones who sang the Gregorian chant for Sheridan in the crawlspace that one time.

That was a group of pak'ma'ra

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

alexandriao posted:

S03E04 "Passing Though Gethsemane": Wonderful. This was a really beautiful episode about what reparative justice means in the context of our culture. What it has to mean.

How can reparations mean something in the context of brutal murders? How can they be done in a way that respects the right to life for even murderers, and still help their victims feel respcted and like justice has been served? At what point does victimized hatred become in excess of that of the agressor?

Those feel like the themes that are being set up for the series, in general, to be honest.

They literally erase his identity. Black Mirror rightly portrayed that as something that only a society that has gone very wrong would do.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

alexandriao posted:

Sure but how is that worse than the Americans keeping the death penalty around? Objectively and ethically, killing the body and the person is worse than killing the person and saving the body :shrug:
A society that has the death penalty has also gone very wrong.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The fact they managed to make War Without End work is really impressive. Even today when most shows are serialized that would be hard to do.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Powered Descent posted:

[*] It's a little odd that they didn't bring in a telepath for this, though. They said that they don't want him reprogrammed since that could be detected, but a telepath could at least help poke his emotions in the direction they want. Perhaps that's the next step, if they fail to break him the old-fashioned way.

It's like the interrogation in 1984. They could easily make him feel or say something, but they want it to be real. They want Sheridan to truly believe the lies.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Powered Descent posted:

s
[b]s05e02 - The Very Long Night of Londo Mollari

[*] Dream G'Kar seems to hold a hell of a lot more of a grudge than Real G'Kar.
[/list]

Dream G'Kar is all of Londo's guilt made manifest. And Londo got a lot of guilt.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Lascivious Sloth posted:

A Voice in the Wilderness Part 1
Babylon 5: Season 1, Episode 19

-
- I hope the quality of CGI gets better

:allears:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

CainFortea posted:

The only unbelievable thing about those marines is that there wasn't nearly enough homoerotic dick jokes.

It doesn't matter when it's Arcturian, baby!

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

RedSnapper posted:

Weren't Minbari originally supposed to be agender/hemaphrodidic?

I honestly think it's kinda weird how every alien culture in the galaxy has the same gender dynamics that earth has.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Zat posted:

Technical limitations. JMS wasn't happy with the results of making Delenn's voice sound more male, so he scrapped the idea during the post-production of The Gathering, the pilot movie. But you can still see it in Mira Furlan's weird facial makeup in The Gathering.

And the suits were also very afraid of depicting anything that could have been taken as queer themes.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Powered Descent posted:

[*] At some point, G'Kar became the best, most moral character on the whole show.

Are you throwing shade at Vir?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

o The Soul Hunters episode is probably my favorite yet, and Soul Hunters themselves might be my favorite alien race so far. They're so delightfully ghoulish: "Someone's about the die; can I come aboard?"

Here's what I think is weird about Soul Hunters: It explicitly states that souls are a thing that's real and everybody just shrugs their shoulders about this major revelation and continue with their daily lives.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

All of those things are pretty big deals though.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

boofhead posted:

And Garibaldi got nabbed. I gotta say, that was a very underwhelming season finale, especially being the first time we see zahadum and the shadows start to speak their plans? Not sure I believe it either, I can't tell if it's fakeout cheesy or legitimate cheesy

G'Kar's speech at the end totally redeems it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Riven posted:

Finished S4 last night. As glad as I would have been if it was canceled then to have gotten a full-length episode version of the last 3 minutes of Pushing Daisies, I’m also very glad there’s a fifth season.

the Drake War, .
I knew he had beef with Pusha T, but I didn't think it was that serious.