Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Lawman 0 posted:

Just watched "Mind War" and I'm sorry I burst out laughing at the end.

No need to apologise for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Powered Descent posted:

4. Well now, the be-mohawked Centauri aliens are certainly playing to the back row, aren't they? I certainly wouldn't accuse either of them of underacting. (I actually started enjoying their performance more by thinking of their scenes as a stage play on film.)

Entirely plot-irrelevant detail: this is literally the case. Peter Jurasik, who played Londo Mollari, was and is primarily a stage actor. He defined the Centauri performance in the pilot, and everyone who guested as a Centauri noble on the show followed his lead.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Narsham posted:

Also, not enough money to pay everyone in the large cast to appear in all 22 episodes per season. 13 is more common, with 22 episodes reserved for the main human cast, although later seasons may change that up some.

That means some characters have to be “rested” because they have to sit out 9 episodes. B5 is pretty good about making you lose track, though.

It's a standard part of a TV actor's contract that they get paid for every episode on which they are credited, whether they appear or not. They are also not able to work on other projects on shooting days in case rewrites require them on set.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Narsham posted:

JMS has repeatedly contradicted that statement, and he ought to know.

Well obviously I'm going to believe JMS, but that is very unusual and they were making work for themselves.

Anyway, we should take this to the non-blind thread if we want to discuss it further.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Powered Descent posted:

s01e10 - Believers
The only part I didn't like is the B plot. I can't help but wonder if they realized the script had come up a few pages short, so they scrawled out this subplot on a napkin and threw a few bucks at Mojo to CGI it.

Removing anything spoilery: this is exactly what happened. JMS gave the script outline to David Gerrold with the intention that it would be A-plot only, but the script came back a few pages short so JMS had to write the B-plot himself to pad it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

discoukulele posted:

Yeah, I'm watching it on HBO Max, so The Gathering was episode 1, and they also apparently switched the placement of Legacies and The Quality of Mercy.

They did. I thought about remarking on it, but it only changes one very small thing in the arc plot and that's an interpretation of one event. Specifically, it changes why Delenn is thinking of a chrysalis. In the intended run order it's because she's building the device to make it; in the HBO Max order it's because she's about to enter it. I don't think we see inside Delenn's quarters, so there's no continuity issue with the device.

Fun fact: Legacies is the only episode in the entire five season run where a plot was cold pitched to JMS by the writer rather than him and Larry diTillio assigning an outline or brief.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Chevy Slyme posted:

So, there are actually a few other species with a similar appearance over the series, most notably the Vree, (who you’ve seen in the cast of alien extras in council chamber scenes) who literally have flying saucer ships, and later in the series in a throwaway gag are shown as defendants in a lawsuit from a human who claims they abducted his ancestors. - spoiler has absolutely zero plot relevance. It’s literally a throwaway joke. Still, click at your own risk.

That spoiler is actually in S1, so it's not a risk for discouke. Good shout on warning others, though.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Chevy Slyme posted:

Could’ve sworn they showed up with Theo.

No, it's Grail in S1.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Vavrek posted:

Knives is great. It's also, if I remember right (maybe not with the rearranged order?), the last episode written by someone other than JMS until the one S5 episode by Neil Gaiman.

Correct - sort of. JMS wrote 57 consecutive episodes between 2X17 and 5X07, a record for US television at the time and making him the first man to ever write two entire seasons of one show. However, JMS only did the teleplay for 5X04, co-writing the story with Harlan Ellison.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

discoukulele posted:

s03e13 - A Late Delivery from Avalon
Ohh Michael York was actually the captain responsible for the Earth-Minbari War

Minor correction: He's actually the gunner who fired the first shot. Same ultimate outcome for kicking off the war, but one does have to wonder if Delenn would have been quite so forgiving to the man who gave the order.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

MrL_JaKiri posted:

At one point I was top 10 in the world in the Babylon 5 CCG

There were ten players?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

discoukulele posted:

s03e16 – War Without End Pt 1

Sinclair is going by Entil’zha.

A small clarification:

Entil'zha isn't a name, it's Minbari for "Ranger One".

I also enjoyed your "wow, first new episode in a week!" comment. Now you know how we felt!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Erulisse posted:

^ Also, DS9 is all about promenade (the ring itself that appears to be what, ~500m dia tops?) whereas B5 entire inside surface appear to be inhabited, that is apparent from a few shots.

DS9 is the size of a suburb. B5 is the size of a city.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Powered Descent posted:

s01e17 - Eyes
  • I wonder how much Kawasaki paid for the product placement.

Less than you might think, and possibly nothing. The WB had three new genre shows in the 1993 slate - Babylon 5, Time Trax and Kung Fu: The Legend Continues - and the network promoted all three shows with a competition where the top prize was a Kawasaki bike. Thus, the bike had to appear in all three shows. This was no problem for the other two as they were set in 1993, but B5 was more of a problem. There were definitely rewrites involved, as Eyes was the last episode of S1 to be produced, but I don't know if Kawasaki insisted that their bike appeared in space or if it was the WB's idea.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Powered Descent posted:

s01e22 - Legacies
So the teenage telepath has casually scanned several minds. Granted, this is all new to her and she's having trouble controlling it, but isn't that literally a crime? Probably one more severe than the original shoplifting? Human society goes to great lengths to make sure there aren't any "wild" telepaths; it's the whole reason Psi Corps is a thing at all.
[

Yes, but you don't punish an infant for making GBS threads its pants, do you? It's expected that they will, they don't know better and they don't know how not to. It only becomes a problem if the child refuses to learn to control its bowels, or does so inappropriately when it does know better. Your last sentence actually sums it up completely, you just didn't draw a conclusion from it: human society doesn't tolerate telepaths who are not in Psi Corps.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Powered Descent posted:

s02e01 - Points of Departure
Sheridan giving his speech to nobody is cute, but... come on, is C&C really not staffed 24/7? I hope no hostile aliens learn about this and plan their attack for 3am when no one's minding the store.

B5 C&C has more than one Operations Room. There's a night shift that works from a secondary location, so the cleaners can come in without disrupting anything. For budgetary reasons we never see it, same as we almost never see a Medlab other than the main one where Franklin works.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Grand Fromage posted:

Technomages, there is more to them that we can't tell you and also isn't ever explored again in the series, but when you're done it's worth looking up to figure out what their deal was. I'm not sure why they don't show up again, maybe because they were kinda lame.

2X02 but nothing beyond: at the end of the episode Elric straight up says that the Technomages are leaving known space. That might have something to do with it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

sebmojo posted:

unlike sheridan it's also possible to imagine him as having hosed at some point in his life

Not if he sleeps on Carnellian bedsheets, he won't.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Guys, can we please remember which thread we're in?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

It should also be noted that discoukelele is the first blind Watcher to reach the end of the series, and everyone from the regular thread wants to see their response. We're a little bit impatient.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

discoukulele posted:

:aaa:

I think I'm going to go ahead and skip Crusade for now, so I think there's a good chance that I'll be finishing up by next weekend!

:v:

Don't feel pressured. The most important thing is that you enjoy it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

Amazon Prime, at least last year when I had it.

I genuinely love Lexx, it's wonderfully bizarre and has some surprisingly compelling themes and storylines, considering it's also a horny fever dream. I will say I first watched it as a teenager in a very late night timeslot, which may influence my opinion a bit.

About half of Lexx is great. The other half is eeyahhhh. The Time Prophet is always hilarious, though.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

discoukulele posted:

The Lost Tales – Over There
  • G'Kar is exploring beyond the rim
  • Franklin is with G'Kar

A note on this:

"gone beyond the Rim" is how JMS refers to it when a major B5 cast member dies. We've heard it far too many times since, sadly, but when Lost Tales was made in 2007 only Richard Biggs and Andreas Katsulas had passed away. He put the reference to their characters into the show as a tribute.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

discoukulele posted:

Question, though - when we saw Londo and G'Kar's deaths in the time jump episode awhile back, Londo said that Centauri Prime had been destroyed because of Sheridan's 12-year campaign. Is the implication that Sheridan launched an attack because of the attempt on his son (the Keeper gift)? In this episode, someone mentions "the incident with his son".

Now you've seen the whole show, you can ask these questions in the TVIV thread. We'll be able to answer them in more detail and with less hesitation there, so pop across and join us.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Powered Descent posted:

s03e11 - Ceremonies of Light and Dark

[*] Got to say, I'm finding the "sassy computer" subplot more annoying than funny.

Not necessarily blaming you for this, but the backup computer is voiced by Harlan Ellison, who was abrasive to say the least.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Zat posted:

You don't need to worry about us readers keeping up with the plot, so who cares if there's gaps. Just post whatever whenever you feel like it.

Yeah, we want to hear everything, but it's interesting to see what stands out for people.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

VideoGames posted:

Whoops! I had thought everyone had long since jumped past me. Apologies to anyone caught out.

Everyone has. But because this is a blind watch thread for a 25 year old show, new people can come in fresh at any time and so the spoiler policy has to be without time limit.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

ultrafilter posted:

Which one are you thinking of? All that comes to mind for me is Bureau 13 from season 2.

Do you want to take it to the regular thread?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

jng2058 posted:

According to JMS....New Earth is the old Vorlon Homeworld, Humans having finally reached a level of tech that allows them to turn off the automated defenses the Vorlons left behind. And yes, the implication is that the combined Human/Minbari future humans have taken up the stewardship of the galaxy to watch over the younger races...presumably for however long they can manage it before they gently caress it up like the Vorlons and Shadows did and some future Sheridan equivalent kicks them beyond the Rim too.

You might want to fix your quote there.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Alhazred posted:

It doesn't matter when it's Arcturian, baby!

Hey Alhazred, have you ever been mistaken for a not poo poo poster?

(Yes, I know what the comeback is, and it's kinda the point.)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Even that S3 episode has a strong B plot. (If you know, you know; if you don't, you don't need to know.)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

sebmojo posted:

actually i genuinely don't think i've heard that one before lol

How did you manage that? Jokes about the Minibar War have been going round since the show was originally airing and someone didn't notice their autocorrect had been at work.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Powered Descent posted:

After my longest hiatus yet, I've finally resumed the show with s05e08 - Day of the Dead!

Neat, this is the episode that Neil Gaiman wrote. (When's the last time we had an episode written by anyone besides JMS? Season 2, maybe?)

Correct. Prior to Day of the Dead, the last episode not written by JMS was 2X16 Knives by Larry DiTillio. Straczynski wrote 57 episodes in a row from that point, a record for US television that I think has not yet been broken.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

ultrafilter posted:

And Day of the Dead is the only episode in season 5 not written by JMS.

JMS wrote the teleplays, but Harlan Ellison has two story writing credits in S5.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Alhazred posted:

I honestly think it's kinda weird how every alien culture in the galaxy has the same gender dynamics that earth has.

This is probably better discussed in the main thread.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Powered Descent posted:

So are Keepers, like, baby Drakh?

If anyone responds to this by saying "doo doo da-doo da-doo" I will personally hunt you down.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Narsham posted:

JMS has said he stopped getting notes from the network in S2. Past that point he was basically operating on his own.

The reason is fairly interesting: Warner Brothers had a TV development arm that made shows for the networks, and it also had a TV syndication arm that sold old WB shows to stations. The syndication people decided that they'd try to create their own mini-network by using independent stations: if a station in every market across the country purchased a block of shows to air as first-run shows in prime time, they'd together constitute a kind of de-facto network (that they named PTN, the "prime-time network") but it would only need to program shows in a few time slots.

The PTN package included B5. I think by the second year, B5 and Kung Fu: The Legend Continues were the only successful shows on PTN and the concept mostly petered out, leaving the indy stations purchasing two shows a week to air new programming.

PTEN (not PTN) actually only ever had four shows: the launch triad of B5, Kung Fu and Time Trax, and Pointman (which replaced Time Trax after its second season and ran for one year). By the time Chris-Craft pulled out to operate UPN at the end of 1997 Babylon 5 was the only show on the network.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Narsham posted:

They are not nearly as funny as they think they are.

This is true of practically everybody, though.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Torrannor posted:

Several episodes/storylines of the show are surprisingly relevant for current events/developments, more than Star Trek ever was. Apart from DS9's Homefront/Paradise Lost accurately portraying the hosed up reactions of societies exposed to terrorism years before 9/11.

And the Irish reunification of 2024.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Torrannor posted:

The show's creator, JMS, wrote the script for most of the episodes. I think he wrote all season 3 episodes, and the vast majority of season 2 and season 4 episodes.

He actually wrote every episode in both S3 and S4. In total JMS wrote 88 of the 110 episodes, including an unbroken streak of 57 that I believe is still the record to this day.