Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

I watched The Gathering years after finishing the series, and I never felt like I had missed something. Granted, I didn't pay too much attention to it at that time, because I don't think it's that engaging. But there was never a moment of "ah, so that is why x happened" or something like that. I think the first season properly sets up the show without needing the pilot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

It's really cool to see all of you happily watch B5. And you're fortunate, you don't have to wait a week between each new episode, or even months between seasons, like we had to back in the day. You can watch it at your own pace. :)

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Didn't have to scour the tv guide like a hawk to work out where it had moved to

S4: 11pm on Thursday evenings
S5: 10am on a Sunday morning during a beach themed breakfast show

Yes, exactly. Once, I couldn't watch an episode live, so I asked my parents to record it on VHS. They did watch it, but forgot to set the VCR. And later they told me "the episode wasn't that great". It was the second episode of a two parter...

To say I was unhappy would be an understatement. I had to wait like 5 years for re-runs to finally get to see that episode.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

The_Doctor posted:

S1E8 - And the Sky Full of Stars

Never noticed this, but lol at politicians in 200 years still promising to balance the budget "later".

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

You're brave, I'd always be wary of looking up things like that for fear of spoilers.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Yeah, it's often compared to a stage play on television. And if I recall correctly, several of the actors were more known for their theater work than television roles at the time B5 was shot.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Sanguinia posted:

Bad News: This thread made me want to go rewatch B5, but sometime since my last rewatch a couple of years ago it went from free on Amazon Prime to per-episode-purchase on Amazon Prime. Being able to watch b5 is one of the reasons I finally broke down and got that drat service, what a gip!

Good News: Learning this allowed me to discover that Prime has apparently ALL of Stargate on it, from the original film through to Universe. Back in my college years I caught a lot of piecemeal episodes of SG1 and Atlantis on the SciFi channel, but I've never watched it in order all the way through. Maybe I'll follow in this thread's footsteps and do that :)

Yeah, that's a good idea. If you like B5 and DS9, then I would think you will like Stargate. It has the Monster of the Week episodes while still keeping the overall plot in mind. At least once you're past the early SG1 seasons.

I'm still sad that I never could get one of my friends who's a huge Stargate fan to watch B5 :(

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Please inform us if you decide to start a Stargate thread, I don't usually browse this sub-forum, and wouldn't have found this thread if it hadn't been mentioned in the main (spoiler) B5 thread.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

The_Doctor posted:

S1Ep18 - A Voice in the Wilderness (Part 1)

“Ivanova is god.”
Also that static upside down picture of the station in C&C. Why is it upside down?!

But is it upside down? Which way is up, when from the perspective of the inhabitants, up is always towards the station's core, since they're simulating gravity by having the station rotate?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

TheAardvark posted:

I wondered about this, because I think S1E20 refers to Babylon 4 as the largest of the human stations(?). Have we gotten a rough population count for B5 so far, by the way? I may have missed it.

Rewatch the intro for season 2 for an answer to your question :)

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jun 10, 2020

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

All of your posts reacting to one of my favorite series is a rare ray of sunshine in these times. Please view the episodes at the pace that's best for you folks, but be aware that we all really, really appreciate your postings.

And yes, while season 1 was already good, it had some issues stemming from being the first season of the show. B5 really hits it's stride in the second season, you are right to look forward to that :)

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

I wouldn't be able to stop watching either, you're just 2 episodes away from the season finale!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Very sad news, how can they all die so young (or relatively young, 65 isn't that old!)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Yeah, expect things to only ramp up until the season finale, you're in for a ride. Eagerly looking forward to your post, The_Doctor :)