Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Chevy Slyme posted:

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > The Sci-Fi Wifi > Babylon 5 blind watch thread: does subtlety really pay when you're talking about fascism?

That bit is one of the reasons why I like that episode, and I was surprised it was listed as a "skippable" one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The marines in Aliens are a beautifully realised variety of meatheads, and I mean that in the best possible way

The only unbelievable thing about those marines is that there wasn't nearly enough homoerotic dick jokes. Everything else is spot on.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Angepain posted:

S1E22, "Chrysalis"

[*]creepy guy from a few episodes back is back and is being ominous again

This really doesn't narrow it down.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

So a victorian era lovely version of a fig newton.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Excellent! Glad you like it. You will make many friends should you post your feelings about the show here.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

One of the reasons the show is great is that the story is evergreen. We will always be able to tie it to something in our lives because it's just...people being people.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

o The fighters in B5 are even more X-wing like than Vipers in BSG. In fact, a lot of the space segments are very reminiscent to me of BSG.

BSG, B5, and the Expanse are about the only shows that are even close to realistic space maneuvering in sci fi tv shows, so that makes sense.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Trying not to fill the thread with my observations for each episode, but I just finished the "humans only" episode.

Please do if you want to. You're not going to make anyone here upset if you do, quite the opposite.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Tom Guycot posted:

Ugh... maybe I made a mistake starting this show. However well done it may be, I'm not sure I'm up for more "make you feel like poo poo" tv. :saddowns:

This really isn't a show that revels in making the viewer feel that way. There are lots of other themes and feelings besides that one

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Tom Guycot posted:

Something that seemed strange this whole time, and this isn't any kind of spoiler, but it seems odd Earth is such a big and important galactic power considering how fresh on the scene they seem to be. Theres so many races in the non-aligned worlds and beyond, its surprising none of them are bigger than Earth who've only been going out to the stars like less than 100 years.

Earth really isn't that important in the grand scheme of things. It's going to look more important watching the show because the show takes place on Earth station.

Look at the ambassadors they sent.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Tom Guycot posted:

Oops, yeah, typo.

I know I'm just sitting here kicking myself it had to be that, not 'londo dates a stripper', 'monster goes wild', or 'weirdo religious parents', it HAD to be that, of all things. God i'm so pissed at myself for ruining my blind watch of this show I almost want to throw up my hands and stop watching out of frustration for ruining the series for myself from one little mistake.

Ugh!

Don't worry, yea that's a right kick in the pants but there's plenty more where that came from.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Which looked a lot better on a 22 inch CRT through broadcast television.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Today's gonna be a twofer because it's my birthday. To avoid cluttering up the thread with my posting, I'll just put it all here.

Please do not think you are cluttering. Ya'alls first time impressions is the entire point and purpose of this thread and you have lots of nerds eagerly reading every post.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Tom Guycot posted:

edit 7: ahahahahahahaha this is a perfect callback and end for morden. good loving riddance, and Vir even gets to have a cheeky smile and wave. lol, wonderful

Legit one of my favorite moments in all of television.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Gentlemen. You can't chat in here. This is the blind watch thread!

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Libluini posted:

About Zack's story:

Ironically, when I watched Zack joining Night Watch for the first time, I had the exact opposite reaction. It seemed really, really obvious to me that Zack was joining solely so the protags had a spy on the inside. I rolled my eyes so hard at the seemingly trite story of "plucky heroes one-up the bumbling Nazis by being tricky and stealthy"

When Zack's arc concluded, I was at the edge of my seat for an unexpected twist, but nope, :lol: the story went exactly as I had predicted :allears:

In the world of today, I'm always surprised when a newcomer shows up, watches those episodes for the first time, and then actually believes Zack joined the fascists for real.

Maybe don't explain the entire arc to someone you know hasn't seen it yet, even in spoiler tags? There's a whole thread for talking about these things elsewhere.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

DrBouvenstein posted:

But the Spoo is ok?

Spoo is always okay. But it's never really good. It's spoo innit?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

It's a really funny word.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

4x01: The Hour of the Wolf

Carvaggio

Cartagia

Also, regarding Furst, he had type 2 diabetes and it was pretty uncontrolled for a while. He almost needed to have a foot removed in `96. He got real serious about controlling it after that and lost a bunch of weight.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

To save anyone from accidental googles, the Be Five is a jazz band that had a good chunk of the main cast as vocals, with Mumy writing most of the songs. They made one album. Mostly it was Mumy, Christian, Jurasik, Furlan, and Katsulas.

Tallman sang backup on two tracks.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Issaries posted:

10/10 mini series.

6/6 surely

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Maybe you can finish what I couldn't, I did a blind watch and I can't even remember if I tried to start S2.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I still have never seen The Gathering

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

On the other hand...we see souls as objectively existing when soul hunter shows up so maybe it's just souls.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Sweevo posted:

The show doesn't pick a side on the issue at all.

Yes. That's what i'm saying.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Guess who's a big dumb idiot who didn't notice which b5 thread he was in.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Humans spent trillions of dollars making rotating ship parts.

Narns just used shoulder belts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Mega Comrade posted:

knew I was right to not like Winters :smuggo:

God that episode gut punched me so hard when I watched it the first time.