Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

"I do feel I need to clarify my last unfortunate post. I meant that as a joke for what I assumed was a person in their early 20s. It honestly didn't even occur to me that Alphinaud might be a minor.We all have our brainfarts sometimes."
-McCloud

Oh boy oh boy, these threads are like catnip to B5 nerds. How I envy your journey :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

"I do feel I need to clarify my last unfortunate post. I meant that as a joke for what I assumed was a person in their early 20s. It honestly didn't even occur to me that Alphinaud might be a minor.We all have our brainfarts sometimes."
-McCloud

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Yarp.

I love reading peoples reactions. I'm currently up to s3e2 with the other half (I have seen it plenty of times, she has never seen it before) so it's interesting to see how you guys get on

Ehhhh kinda. It gets brought up when it's important.

The hardest part of these treads is the urge to resist commenting due to fears of spoiling anything. Even something like "oh X has one of the best arcs in modern television" is too much.

And y'all drat well know who I'm talking about

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

-McCloud

TheAardvark posted:

S1E7 thoughts

Londo's 3 wives, Pestilence, Famine, and Death. Amazing

As a corollary to this comment
That would make Londo War, the 4th horseman of the apocalypse

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

-McCloud

Pick posted:

*tears hair out* m-maybe

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

-McCloud

The_Doctor posted:

S1ep10 - Beliebers

“The avalanche has already started, it is too late for the pebbles to vote.”

Ah, we’re doing a religious thing here. Isn’t it Jehovah’s Witnesses that have something like this about blood transfusions? And no puncturing the skin at all? Jeez, I slice one of my fingers open at least once a year while cooking.

Interestingly, this is 4 years before the anti-vax movement started, and this is a good encapsulation of that daftness.

I honestly think Kosh said something mysterious and vague just to get them to go away.

“You are refusing because of your beliefs?!” Yeah ironic, huh?

The only message I’m getting here is ‘religion is really, really dumb’, which honestly feels at odds with ‘Parliament of Dreams’ where we saw the other worlds’ religions, and it all came across as very deferential.

And Ivanova did a thing too, I guess? The parallel ‘breaking orders’ thing feels very weak, and honestly the whole episode is poor. I honestly kept pausing and wandering off during this ep I was so disengaged.

Discussion for s1ep10 only and nothing else

I don't think the message is that religion is dumb. One can easily take the viewpoint that Franklin is a stubborn rear end for breaking the rules to uphold his moral values while ignoring theirs. Yeah, the family is dumb and kind of annoying, but so is Franklin with his holier than thou attitude, tbh.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

-McCloud

TheAardvark posted:

Also my mom has some kind of eidetic memory for 60s TV shows and asked me if that was Billy Mumy during a Lennier scene. I just set her up with my Amazon account so she might be watching it too :getin:

Get her an account here too so she can :justpost:

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

-McCloud

Sanguinia posted:

Reminder that he had an orgy with three human women on that slab of rock

That slab wasn't the only thing that was rock hard :v:,

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

-McCloud

That's a real good onion story

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

-McCloud

Sanguinia posted:

My favorite thing about that B-plot is When Garibaldi starts despairing over his Do Not Eat list, comes to the conclusion "There's nothing left," but Franklin anticipated his objection and prepared a Eat These Things list! "See! All kinds of things!" And that list just makes Garibaldi even more upset.

Also the gag where they all swap plates and then swap them back when Franklin mom-shame-stares them

That's some real 90's humor right there, but drat if it still isn't funny

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

-McCloud

The_Doctor posted:

Delenn could be played completely straight and arch, but she’s got a really good twinkle in her eye, and a sly smile.

That she does :allears:

Sanguinia posted:

Now I want to somehow see Bablyon 5 in stage play format.

Good luck finding someone that can chew the scenery like Jurasik

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

-McCloud

I am loving the recent write ups. More. Mooore.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

-McCloud

The_Doctor posted:

S2ep12 - Acts of Sacrifice

“It’s is good to have friends, is it not? Even if maybe, only for a little while.”

We now return to the ongoing war plot. G’kar scrabbling around for allies to help in the conflict, and at the end of it all a workable plan without getting the other governments officially involved. But it’s not nearly enough.
An incredibly exhausted G’kar walking away at the end of the episode, already on an incredibly low ebb from being stabbed and poisoned is a compelling image. Only to have Sheridan and Delenn offer him an adhesive medical strip in these trying times. He laughs and cries, and I can’t help but feel for him.

Kenickie killed a Narn! The underlying turmoil on the station is a nice window into how the war is affecting the participants, even when they’re nowhere near the fighting.

Franklin is apparently not a fan of the Prime Directive. His passion quickly ceding to anger at the Lumati is a great character note. Nice to return to his Underground Railroad skills at the end with Sheridan’s plan, it’s good continuity I wouldn’t have thought about.

Londo got a new, darker colour scheme, I see. It looks smarter, and ironically makes him stand out a little more. His scene with Garibaldi is a desperate scrabble for true friends when everyone is turning away, afraid of the warmonger. I was a little unsure of what exactly he and Garibaldi did at the end? Did he just ask Londo not to escalate the situation or something? Look the other way?

Ivanava’s B plot of trying to get the new race to sign up was interesting in a view of the class system on B5. It always feels strange that there’s sufficient room on the station for an sizeable underbelly to exist at all, considering we’ve been told several times that space is at a premium onboard. Was it designed that way? “And this is brown sector where the homeless will live and scavenge.”

The end note of her storyline was some much needed comedy, considering the gravity of the main plot, although it was very silly.

Not a great episode for me, although the mild politicking is revealing, especially with the explanations of why the various governments won’t get their hands dirty. The conflict isn’t theirs and there has already been so much war.

Discussion spoilers for
S2ep12 - Acts of Sacrifice

Garibaldi didn't really ask anything of Londo. Londo just took it upon himself to do them a favor and defuse the situation with the dead centauri, preventing a massive diplomatic incident. Because that is what one does for friends, yes? This is what made Garibaldi join him for a drink at the end of the episode, it reminded him that Londo wasn't always an asshat.

I did enjoy how in this episode G'kar is impotent but surrounded by well meaning and sympathetic friends, and Londo commands a lot of power but has no one to truly rely on.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

-McCloud

I am enjoying this

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

-McCloud

Midjack posted:

A pure experience is where they can watch it without having nerds who have already seen it barge in and answer questions they haven't even asked.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

-McCloud

sebmojo posted:

at the time it seemed entertaining but laughably over the top lol :smith:

The way ISN news operates is depressingly familiar

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

-McCloud

Winifred Madgers posted:

This attitude will get you a long way with this show.

This attitude will get you a long way with this show.

This attitude will get you a long way with this show. You may have noticed I can already tell you've set the stage for a most enjoyable readalong for this thread.

Season 1 improves dramatically on a rewatch, but as others have said, it is definitely the weak link as they find their legs. Know, though, that they do find their legs.

Actually in my experience as a lifelong fan, that's the first time I've seen anyone say that. But then I'm not plugged into the general fan community.

Fresh blood! Looks like meat's back on the menu, folks!

To answer broadly the cgi and effects have not aged well, the real meat is the story, and it really kicks into warp drive around S2

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

-McCloud

My favorite little detail about Soul Mates:
Mollari describes his wives as pestilence, famine and death, three of the for horsemen of the apocalypse. Naturally that means Londo is the the fourth horseman, War

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

-McCloud

Alhazred posted:

And they're really ugly

:wrong:

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

-McCloud

Midjack posted:

That's Garibaldi, the chief of security for B5. :v:

I laughed

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

-McCloud

Whenever the boxing bit comes up I just hit the fast forward/skip button. Easy solution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

-McCloud

I'm sure he meant PPE