Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

It's worth noting that the CG suffered greatly in the transfer from analog to digital media. Which sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Midjack posted:

A pure experience is where they can watch it without having nerds who have already seen it barge in and answer questions they haven't even asked.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

mllaneza posted:

(mod snipped)

Blind thread, friend.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Sep 6, 2020

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Much of this page feels like it belongs in the other thread lest someone get careless.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It definitely has some, because it moves the struts apart for the explorer ship in Distant Star

This implies that something bad happens if a ship that's bigger than the current configuration tries to use a jump gate, which leads me to wonder: could you effectively block a jump gate by moving it's struts to, say, 20 meters apart? And if so what happens when a big ship tries to come through?

It'd be a tactic with very situational application because most bug warships can create their own jump points out of hyperspace, but we see a lot of them still use jump gates anyway so they're not trapped until their jump engines recharge - keeps their options open. But it'd be useful for setting traps.

Assuming it doesn't destroy the gate.

Edit: I just woke up and didn't realize which thread this was in. Spoilered just in case.

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Sep 20, 2020

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

The_Doctor posted:

Now I’m halfway through season 3, the CGI looks a hell of a lot better than it did S1. The only time it goes back to terrible again is when they’re combining a live action shot with CG.

This, as I understand the situation, is due to the same missing masters issues that make an HD remaster impossible.

Of course, different people involved give different reasons why that is, so confirmed details are sketchy.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Polaron posted:

PPGs fire balls of superhot plasma. Not really something you can add a stun setting to.

Back during the show's original run JMS once quipped on Prodigy or Usenet or one of those places that "Stun settings are for people who can't commit."

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

ultrafilter posted:

Talia was meant to be the double agent for as long as she was on the show. The change happened between the pilot and season one; Lyta was not intended to be the spy in the pilot.

The plan as of the pilot was to have the original XO Laurel Takashima be the mole with the Control personality (as well as being the person who shot Garibaldi in the back in the Season 1 finale), but the actress didn't continue in the role for the show's run. The pilot has a scene where the Minbari assassin uses her access code to get through a door to do his thing, which is supposed to be a clue.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Habibi posted:

What's Lexx?

Fifty bucks, same as in town.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Sweevo posted:

JMS has admitted this ep is something that seemed fine on the page as he was writing it, but then turned out a complete mess. The cult stuff is just plain dumb.

JMS has a bit of a fixation and a blind spot when it comes to cult stuff, since he was in one for a long time. When it works it works well because of that intimate knowledge and experience, but when it flops it's because he's writing in a way that makes sense to him but not to others because most folks don't have the same context in their backgrounds. Overall I think it works well for him, but you do get some stinkers in the process.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Chevy Slyme posted:

The suits demanded that JMS write in a "Good looking hot shot young fighter pilot" character in season 2. So we get Keffer.

Lol, vir probably knows less about how to party than Lennier does.

They were going to figure prominently in the spinoff/sequel series Crusade, before it's very premature cancellation. I think there's a tie in novel or three about them too.

There is a trilogy all about them that takes place before, during, and after the series. I like it but I get the feeling I'm in the minority on that. It does answer a lot of questions that the episode of the series refuses to and makes a point of saying "aren't mysteries neat?".

IIRC there are also technomage minor characters in one of the other sequel novel trilogies, the one about Centauri Prime.

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jun 7, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

sebmojo posted:

fair point, though there are other aspects that I won't get into in this thread that still have some currency

I'd be interested in reading your thoughts in the other thread.