Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anonymouse Mook
Jul 12, 2006

Showing Vettel the way since 1979

The_Doctor posted:

So on the Hyperion are the crew just floating around?

Yup, they are strapped into their seats. You can also see this with some of the other less advanced races.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymouse Mook
Jul 12, 2006

Jostiband posted:

crushes empty beer can with his mind

Which, the lager or the IPA?

Anonymouse Mook
Jul 12, 2006

In the case of S2E3, this is an outbreak of violence between groups all over the station, rather than a case of one family dealing with a religious/medical issue without it affecting others. At least, not in the same way.

Anonymouse Mook
Jul 12, 2006

TheAardvark posted:

but then they made a big deal about how hard it was for him to get the ingredients for Bagna Cauda! shipping an entire bike up there must have been insanely expensive !!!!

Not necessarily. I'm sure mass factors into it somewhat, but I would assume shipping some perishable foods would be more expensive, as you would want it shipped very quickly, or in an appropriately chilled state. A bike is just another load of machinery

Anonymouse Mook
Jul 12, 2006

TheAardvark posted:

S2E12:

I think I said it before but yeah it is somehow the hardest suspension of disbelief in the series for me that there is an underbelly on Babylon 5 that they let drifters and poor people sink down to. Not because the society we've seen is above that - with Psicorps in charge it's not a surprise at all. Just that the extreme expense of getting someone out to Babylon 5 seems like it would totally preclude that kind of society from ever forming.

As others have said, B5 attracted a lot of people looking for a new life. If memory serves, Brown sector wasn't finished, which is why it is largely the way it is. Some of the lurkers in down below were people helping to build B5 that weren't able to find the means to leave.

Add to this, as a neutral station in a fairly out of the way place, you have a magnet for organised crime to join the party.

Trivia regarding down below denizens, 'Lurkers' were named as a reference to fans on the net. JMS being Extremely Online and all.

Anonymouse Mook
Jul 12, 2006

TheAardvark posted:

S2E18 - Confessions and Lamentations

Oh poo poo a Markab plague! Something something COVID joke here.

Interesting that they've given this alien race a name and multiple appearences over the last few episodes.

This was intentional. JMS wanted to make sure people would be familiar with the Markab, so it would be more meaningful when they all die, where it wouldn't if it was a race we had hardly ever seen before. I'm looking at you, Dilgar

Anonymouse Mook
Jul 12, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

S2ep19 - Divided Loyalties

the couple of scenes where it looks like Talia is mildly flirting with Garibaldi.

Real world context

Jerry Doyle and Andrea Thompson were married for a few years in the '90s. I think the scene were Talia remarked how Garibaldi was always there, may have been based on real events.

Anonymouse Mook
Jul 12, 2006

Powered Descent posted:

s01e10 - Believers
  • This is the episode that I was expecting to get with Infection a few episodes ago: Dr. Franklin's ethics are put to the test. It's probably the least sci-fi premise they've ever done: pretty much exactly this scenario has happened in real life with, say, Jehovah's Witnesses refusing to let their kid get a lifesaving blood transfusion. The plot went more or less how you'd expect, but it's still very well done.

I wonder if that shows how TV has changed since the early nineties. JMS made a big point on usenet at the time about how most shows would have found a way to have the kid alive and well by the end of the episode and how he wanted to subvert that. If memory serves, he was trying to go for a similar feel to the Twilight Zone episode 'The Cold Equations'.

Anonymouse Mook
Jul 12, 2006

Background on 1x17:

I believe the actor playing Zayn had recently gone through a breakup and he was pretty much channeling it into his performance

Anonymouse Mook
Jul 12, 2006

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

^ Cool!

2x09: The Coming of Shadows.

This episode won a Hugo award. And rightly so!

Anonymouse Mook
Jul 12, 2006

Chevy Slyme posted:

The gift shop plot, as I understand it, was a way to sell IRL merch, but not the way you think.

Rather than being extremely hammy product placement, it was basically JMS complaining that there wasn’t any/enough merchandise being produced for Babylon 5 at a time when that extra revenue stream would have been a lifeline for the show.

Production stuff regarding the bear.

The bear was a gift to JMS from Peter David. JMS hated it, which is why it was spaced. Apparently David got his own back in an episode of Space Cases where someone asks “who would space a bear”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymouse Mook
Jul 12, 2006

And as cheap as it may have looked, CG allowed the show to be far more dynamic that many shows of the time. The action and variety of the shots were, imo, better than many of the shots in most contemporary Trek episodes to that point, even if those looked better quality